Start by marking “The Boy on the Beach (Selected Cuts from Dark Albion #1)” as Want to Read:
The Boy on the Beach (Selected Cuts from Dark Albion #1)

The Boy on the Beach

(Selected Cuts from Dark Albion #1)

A desperate woman on a remote beach, a dreadful truth revealed... and nothing will ever be the same.

Hoping to escape an abusive marriage, Juliet Carlson looks for solace on the cool sands of an isolated cove. Here she meets a youth named Milo, who persuades her to visit his beachside community.

Milo is several years her junior, but that doesn't diminish their mutual attract
Kindle Edition, 3, 75 pages
Published March 22nd 2016 by Night-Flyer Publishing (first published December 4th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Boy on the Beach, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Boy on the Beach

Start your review of The Boy on the Beach (Selected Cuts from Dark Albion #1)
Janie C.
Mar 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Juliet Carlson is an abused wife trapped in an unstable marriage. One night, she takes advantage of a rare outing of freedom, fleeing from her husband over a cliff to the safety of a majestic beach. Enjoying the tranquility the beach provides, Julie hears the sound of voices over the tide and the wind. Or is it music? Come with Julie as she becomes immersed in an adventure of self-discovery and folklore. It seems there are other ways to exist, after all. How far is Julie willing to go? Come to t ...more
Angel Gelique
After stepping away from her abusive husband Brad, Juliet Carlson finds herself alone on the beach, enjoying the tranquil sounds of nature at the shore. Her solitude is interrupted by the not-too-distant sounds of music and talking. Juliet grows curious and wanders towards what she believes is a group of partying locals. What she finds will forever change her life.

I often find short stories unsatisfying. This one, however, felt as complete and fulfilling as a full-length novel. The characters ar
June
Mar 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The Boy On The Beach is a novella length horror/suspense story by David Brian. I received this copy from the author in exchange for an honest review. It was a good read.
Juliet is married to Brad, and he is an abusive and violent thug. One night, after perhaps one violent act too many, she runs off into the night and ends up on a beach. There she finds a beautiful but secluded cove. She is enjoying having escaped the clutches of her husband, but soon becomes unnerved when she hears the sound of v
Ramona Plant
Jul 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
The Boy on the Beach is a well written short story written by David Brian. This is a well thought through little story with quite an ending. I liked how the victim of the story rises above her situation, even in a way that is probably not very conventional. The author introduces a different type of paranormal "creature" which is always refreshing, than reading about werewolves and vampires all the time. I like originality, let's face it who doesn't, and the author provided just that.

The main cha
Abby Cornwell
Nov 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I received a copy of The Boy on the Beach from David Brian, in exchange for my honest review.
Juliet's husband, Brad, beats her on a regular basis. One night, during a holiday in Cornwall, and following a further hiding, Juliet runs away. She finds herself on a dark and secluded beach, and before long she realizes there are others moving about on the darkened sands. Has her attempt to escape Brad placed her in even greater danger? Partly a tale of mystery and folklore, partly a horror story, The
David Brian
Mar 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
The Boy on the Beach, is a story which I wrote way back in the summer of 1997. The premise I originally worked with was to write something which, although very much based within the genre, would contain a theme not often (if ever) found in both traditional and modern horror/fantasy/paranormal romance stories.
I would like to think I succeeded! Of course, I'd probably do better to let the fine people of goodreads decide on that one>
Michael Kelly
Jun 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
I hadn't realised this novella was part of a collection when I bought it, which is a pity since I generally prefer my shorter fiction to be housed within a larger frame. Never mind, I may still get the complete collection.

Firstly and most importantly, it's engaging and well written. Shorter tales need their backgrounds to be painted in big, bold colours if they're to work, and the abusive marriage which forms the foundation of this tale provides exactly that. There's enough detail to make it gri
Kaddi
Apr 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
One night after a violent row with her brute of a husband, Juliet flees to the solitude of a seemingly deserted beach, where she frolics in the shallows. Soon she hears sounds carrying on the wind, and realizing she isn't alone sets off to investigate.
What she finds is destined to change her life forever!
This was a nicely crafted novella type story that alternates between desperation, menace, hope, fear and retribution. I really wanted things to work out for Juliet, and it is unusual to 'care' s
solitaryfossil
Loved everything about this quick and interesting story. Now I want to move to Newquay! Really fine story telling from David Brian. This was the 2nd short fiction of his that I’ve read, and I’m looking forward to the longer works that I’ve got in my TBR digital pile. Good job!
Lynne
Apr 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Juliet is trapped in a marriage where Brad, her husband, regularly beats and abuses her. One night, after another violent episode from her spouse, Juliet escapes into the dark. She wanders until she eventually finds herself on a secluded beach. Very quickly she realizes she is not alone, and it is not apparent whether she has discovered a little piece of heaven, or has she wandered into a nightmare worse than she left behind? And, either way, she is certain that she hasn't fled far enough, and t ...more
Dustin Pendleton
Jun 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I've read a few things by David Brian and The Boy on the Beach - the expanded 2016 version - may well be my favorite to date.
Juliet is a bullied and abused young woman. Her husband is a professional criminal, and he thinks nothing of giving his woman a slap. One night, she flees from his violence and finds herself in a secluded cove. At first she enjoys the ocean and the solitude, but then she realizes she is not alone on the sands - and then things begin to get weird. Juliet isn't sure whether
Karl Ketts
Mar 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
During the first few pages of this book, there was a bit too much of an info dump as we are given Juliet's backstory. This little niggle aside, I thoroughly enjoyed what was a very different horror novella.
Juliet has a drug-dealing, bully of a husband who treats her like crap. One night, after one beating too many, Juliet escapes into the darkness. She finds herself alone on the beach (I guess the clue was in the title), and from there on this is very unlike any horror story I have read before.
A
 ♕ ❤  ♕ Princess pink diamonds posh bird LINZY.x.♕ ❤ ♕
This is the first book of Davids I've read,although short it was enjoyable.A mixture of romance and horror and a surprising ending.it tells the story of a woman in an abusive relationship who meets a young boy on the beach.I recommend you buy this book to find out more.
I'll certainly read more books by this author.
Mel
Jun 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Very short (I finished this in 25 minutes) and a little weird but vividly described and well written.

This is a book that grew on me, as when I first finished my thoughts were quite negative but looking back 15 hours later, I find myself feeling a lot more positive about the book and plot. Definitely a thought provoking one.
Simon
May 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Interesting novella length story about a woman who, having fled her bullying husband, finds herself alone on a beach with a group of mysterious revelers. Nicely written, and with well developed characters, I particularly enjoyed how this ended.
Peggy Morley
Did not enjoy this novella
Rebecca
Aug 13, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
'She was alive, and although if anyone were to find out the truth, they would seek to brand her a monster. They would be wrong; she was now so much more than Juliet Carlson.'

(view spoiler)

My Thoughts

I was given a free copy
Dorothy Cotton
Jul 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I received a copy from the author in exchange for an honest review.
Juliet is trapped in a dreadful marriage. Her husband regularly beats and abuses her. Following a further violent episode Juliet runs off into the night, and eventually winds up on a darkly beautiful beach. What starts out as a moment of respite from her husband's fists soon shifts to another situation, and at first Juliet is undecided whether to embrace or flee from what she finds on that secluded beach.
I thoroughly enjoyed what
Sarah Hunter
Aug 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
What an interesting novella type story. I usually prefer vampire/werewolf type horror (the properly HORRIFIC depictions of such creatures), but The Boy on the Beach by David Brian turned out to be something that appealed greatly.
A young wife finds that her marriage isn't all she hoped it might be. Beatings and abusive behavior have become something of a norm in her life, but after fleeing her husband's violence, she finds herself down on a secluded beach after dark. Everything she thought she kn
John
Apr 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Battered and victimized by her husband, Juliet runs off into the night and eventually finds herself on a strange but idyllic beach. Before too long she realizes she is not the only one down on the sands, and a night which started off badly may be about to get worse.
Nicely written, and with an unusual plot, The Boy On The Beach is a novella length story that really delivered.
I received this copy from the author in exchange for an honest review.
Akshit
Jun 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: softcopies
This one I did not find scary at all. The cover is a bit misleading. I did enjoy reading it though. I especially liked the part where the protagonist is made aware of her new self. I will probably read the other stories too.
Wendy
May 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This was an interesting tale mixing folklore and horror, but best of all I loved how things ended up. I really never expected that ending!
Karen
Nov 30, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this story. I read it in the Dark Albion collection.
Sarah Kingsley
Apr 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Juliet's life is one of violence and abuse. She is trapped in a marriage of hurt and control by her drug dealer husband, Brad, who is prone to lashing out with his fists whenever she displeases him. One night, while the couple are on a business trip to the coast, Juliet runs off into the dark. She finds herself in a secluded cove, and once there she enjoys the warm wind and the freedom of playing in the shallows.
However, she soon becomes aware that she is not alone on the beach. What she is abou
Sheila
Mar 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I received a copy of this story from the author in exchange for an honest review.
I didn't go much on the cover image, but actually I really enjoyed The Boy on the Beach. It covers the plight of Juliet, a woman who suffers every day at the hands of an abusive husband. One evening she escapes his anger and ends up alone in a secluded beach cove. What happens next makes for a very interesting story, and things alternate between hope for Juliet's future and downright creepy. With a premise that seem
Stella Abbrams
Nov 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Juliet is stuck in a marriage to a brutish husband, who delights in criminal activities, womanizing and beating her mercilessly. After one such beating Juliet runs away into the night. She finds herself on a secluded beach, but her worries about being pursued by her husband are outweighed by other concerns; she has realized she isn't alone on the sands. I loved this story. I almost cheered at the end.
Ellen Kinpatch
Nov 01, 2019
Mark
Nov 10, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Perfect Wife (Jessie Hunt #1)
  • Killer Satanic Cults: An Anthology of True Crime
  • Night of the Living Dead: New York
  • If She Knew (Kate Wise Mystery #1)
  • Night of the Living Dead: Just a Girl
  • The Cycle of Violence
  • Forgotten
  • Let Me Touch
  • Used by the Doctor (Medical Exam Erotica)
  • Sex Education: A Woman's Awakening, Book 1
  • Make Me Wet
  • Dr. Foster's Marriage Clinic
  • Bailey's Law (Jack Bailey #1)
  • Night of the Living Dead: The Beginning
  • Night of the living dead: London
  • Night of the Living Dead: Hunger
  • After the Plague
  • Secret Stash
Official Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/David-...

I was born into a world of horror... Well, not quite, but almost! To be more precise, my 'very sudden' arrival into this world came about via a broken cinema seat. It was a seat into which my heavily pregnant mother found herself wedged. Once it had collapsed beneath her bulk, the resulting chaos of attempting to free her - perhaps not sur

Selected Cuts from Dark Albion (4 books)
  • Nightlife: Selected Cuts from Dark Albion, #2