Start by marking “The Deepest Cut” as Want to Read:
The Deepest Cut

The Deepest Cut

‘You haven’t said a single word since you’ve been here. Is it on purpose?’ I tried to answer David but I couldn’t … my brain wanted to speak but my throat wouldn’t cooperate…

Adam blames himself for his best friend’s death. After attempting suicide, he is put in the care of a local mental health facility. There, too traumatized to speak, he begins to write noteb
Published May 24th 2016 by Accent Press

To ask other readers questions about The Deepest Cut, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Deepest Cut

Start your review of The Deepest Cut
Patricia Walker
May 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
This is a hugely powerful, gut wrenching, heart breaking read.

From the first page through to the end the pages don't stop turning. The story line is incredibly well written as are the characters who are all sensitively depicted and well thought out.

Throughout the book the reader is drawn down avenues that are so true to life it is unreal. The truth of past events isn't what you expect but is superbly constructed and the only possible reality once you reach the end of the story.
Steph Hayward-bailey
Oct 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Amazing young adult novel that tackles issues that effects a lot of young men. I love how the issue of knives is addressed as it shows teenagers that just by carrying a knife your whole world can change. It also tackles the issues surrounding male mental health which isn't really tackled a lot elsewhere. I think this would be a great novel to have teenagers read at high school to help discuss these important issues.
Becca Ashworth
Aug 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I lost one of my close friends this year. I'm not using this comment in an attempt to get sympathy; Izzy deserves better than that, but I do think that it is entirely relevant to this review, as it massively affected this novel's impact upon me. So just bear that in mind as you read my review.

This novel is very beautifully done. The idea of recollection through therapeutic writing is original, and expertly done. At each point, another factor in the death of Adam's, our protagonist's, best frien
Margaret Bamford
Oct 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
This novel is aimed at the young adult reader. I read it and was moved by the way it showed how dangerous carrying a knife can be and the effect it has on friends and family.
Lucy Hay
Jul 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Searingly authentic YA read that is so timely given the tragic teen knife crimes in the capital at the moment. Flynn does a fantastic job of painting a picture of trauma here that is so realistic. Thematically powerful, THE DEEPEST CUT talks about culpability and split second decisions that have effects that can last an entire lifetime. Definitely worth a read, especialky if you enjoy sad but impactful teen reads like Laurie Halse Anderson's WINTER GIRLS. Recommended!
Perdita Cargill
Jun 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The Deepest Cut is a tragedy, the pain is stark on nearly every page but it is a book with enormous heart. There is so much love in this book - the uncertain, brave attempts at love amongst the teenage couples, the strong mother/son love (Debbie is a brilliant character) and the brothers-in-arms love between Adam and Jake. Funny in parts, always true, with strong male leads it is an important book. You know from the first sentence that Adam's best friend Jake has been murdered and you know that ...more
Rachel A.
Nov 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I won this book in a Twitter giveaway, therefore I got a free signed copy from the author. This in no way shapes my review, which is completely unbiased.

I am honestly so, so grateful for the fact that I got this book and had the opportunity to read it. It is so heartwarming and powerful. I had to give it 5 stars. I literally had to. It would be an absolute disservice to the novel if I didn't.
I believe that a good book should tug at your heart or tug at your brain. I can say tha
Shannon
Jul 30, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: did-not-finish
Honestly, I really wanted to like this book and I tried to keep going but ultimately gave up because I couldnt deal with the writer's voice. The idea is good and the story itself is something that I would normally enjoy, but the dialogue between the characters just wasnt realistic. It didnt sound like teenage boys talking between Adam and his friends and while sure, you could say that that's because the only time we get insight into this is through Adam's written memories I found it too annoying ...more
Amy
May 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I have just read this in one sitting and I'm emotionally drained. I still can't get over it. I will be thinking of this story for days.
Kirsty Stanley
Aaron Fletcher
Oct 22, 2019 rated it liked it
i cried. a LOT. and aside from a bit of stiff dialogue it was written really well
Emma
Oct 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good book.
Heather Lawson
Apr 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Originally posted here: https://heatherreviews.wordpress.com/...
________________
I was lucky enough to get a copy of this book when I met the author at London Book Fair. As part of Accent YA’s new launch list, The Deepest Cut tackles a difficult topic surrounding bullying and knife crime, as well as looking deeper into the after-effects of trauma and subsequent mental health issues that arise from it. I was eager to see how these topics were handled and, considering the main character is mute, I wondered what the narrative wou
Stephanie Cox
Feb 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Really powerful, so brilliantly written yet simple, and such an important topic. Fantastic. A good read for any age.
Alix Long
Jul 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
The Deepest Cut was a book that sucked me in from the beginning, and did not let me go until the very last page. Even once I had finished, I couldn't stop thinking about Adam's story and where it all went so wrong. The murder of his best friend Jake was so utterly tragic and devastating, and it could have so easily been avoided. My heart ached as I read Adam's account of the incident and I felt his guilt and regret at what had happened coming through the narration so strongly. I felt that one of ...more
Yolande Branch
Jun 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I was sent a copy of this ARC by Accent YA in exchange for an honest review.

When I first heard about this book, I thought I would already know how it would pan out. However, I was surprised at how wrong I was. This story was intense, heartfelt and genuine and blew me away from start to finish.

The main character, Adam told the story through a series of written notes, suggested by his therapist to help aid his recovery, after a very serious incident. Adam manages to take yo
Josephine Boyce
Aug 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I don’t think a book has ever made me cry so much, which isn’t great when you’re secretly reading it at work because you can’t put it down and you end up crying behind your computer screen.
Every single character is well drawn (Polly being a favourite of mine) and that is what makes this book so powerfully moving - you really get to know Adam and, when you finally find out what happened the night Jake dies, it’s so painfully tragic and it’s all the more heart-breaking because it’s Adam, sweet an
Chantelle Ojo
Jul 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This isn't just a story, it's a powerful, emotional and thought-provoking journey with the protagonist - very hard to put down! It covers a majorly important issue and leaves you with the gift of insight. Very well written and a must-read for young adults.
Kj
Aug 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book was so much better then I thought it would be. I read it in one sitting and cried my eyes out.
Glenda
May 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I received this book as a Goodreads Giveaway.
I loved this story. Such a great compilation of love and loss and the processes of grief. Lessons to learn from this one.
Keris
Apr 21, 2017
Unaisa
Aug 16, 2017
Michelle Moore
Jun 02, 2016
Karen (A Simple Cup of Tea)
Jun 30, 2016
Emmy
May 25, 2016

• A Change Is Gonna Come
  • Wasted
  • Take Two (Waiting for Callback #2)
  • My Box-Shaped Heart
  • The Twice-Lived Summer of Bluebell Jones
  • Slay
  • Girls Can't Hit
  • Another Life (When I Was Joe, #3)
  • My So-Called Phantom Lovelife (Afterlife, #3)
  • Immortal Remains (Weirdsville, #2)
  • One Seriously Messed-Up Week in the Otherwise Mundane and Uneventful Life of Jack Samsonite (Jack Samsonite, #1)
  • Mortal Chaos (Mortal Chaos, #1)
  • The Curious Tale of the Lady Caraboo
  • What's Up with Jody Barton?
  • The Bubble Wrap Boy