Start by marking “Miss E.: A Novel” as Want to Read:
Miss E.: A Novel

Read Book

Miss E.: A Novel

Being the new kid in town is a way of life for Bets, but moving to California in 1967 is different. Her father leaves for the war in Vietnam, her history teacher gives an assignment that has the whole school searching for clues, and the town’s most mysterious resident shares a secret with Bets that has been hidden away for decades. When a peaceful protest spins out of cont ...more
Published April 6th 2016 by Birch Cove Books

To ask other readers questions about Miss E., please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Miss E.

(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to author Brian Herberger.)

“With me away, your mother’s going to need you just as much as you need her.”

This was a YA story set in California in 1967.

Bets was an okay character and it was clear how much she loved her father. I also thought that the way they communicated without words at times was a nice touch.

The storyline in this was about Bets’ father having to leave to go to the war in Vietnam, and
Jessika
This book is, hands down, without a doubt, one of the best books I have read thus far in 2018. Set in the late '60s in California and being a coming-of-age tale of sorts, this book seriously has my name all over it. I'll be honest, I went into reading this with high expectations. I mean, with that stunning cover, how could I not? I'm happy to say that Miss E. went above & beyond my every expectation. It truly baffles me that this novel is not more well-known.

I loved so much about this book
Em
Jun 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Miss E. was a great book. I was sucked into the story from the very first sentence, and I finished the whole book in one afternoon.
The book was very easy and fun to read, and I feel in love with the characters. Bets is strong willed and an independent thinker. As the story progressed, she not only learned about Miss E., she learned about herself. The whole story left me all warm and fuzzy.
I loved how each character was so unique. Even the characters with smaller parts had their own story and in
Abbie
Oct 06, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-to-review
(I received a copy from the author, In exchange for an honest review.)

This was an okay read, but I'm glad it wasn't too long.

There were moments in this that I found interesting, but there were also quite a few moments where I felt a bit bored too unfortunately. It didn't drag though thankfully.

Overall, Not one I loved, but an okay read.
Melanie
Oct 17, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Miss E. was really good. I haven't read many (if any) books set during the Vietnam War or dealing with Amelia Earhart, so I found that aspect of the story very interesting. I also liked the characters and how easy the story was to read.

All in all, Miss E. was a good read and I appreciated that it was a clean read, too.

*I received this eBook for free for my honest review. As always, all thoughts and opinions expressed are my own.*
Haley Evans
Mar 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018-wow-books
Miss E. is a fun, suspenseful and empowering historical fiction book that would be great for grades 4-5. A young girl moved to a small town in California with her mother and father, who is in the military and goes off to serve in Vietnam. Her paths cross with an older, mysterious woman who no one in the town seems to know anything about. This book will have you on your toes and ready to stand up and take action all at the same time. I would use this in my class when talking about peaceful protes ...more
Karen Barber
A rather different read. Slow paced, but not in a way that feels dull.
Bets is used to moving around because of her father's job, and when she ends up in California it is against the backdrop of the Vietnam War.
When we first meet Bets she is trying to make friends in her new town. As time passes Bets is intrigued by the mysterious Miss E. whom nobody seems to know much about. Slowly, as she learns more about herself and her feelings towards the events surrounding her, Bets comes to learn more abo
Sharon Mariampillai
I received a copy from the author, in exchange for an honest review.

This was an interesting read. The story was slow paced, but it was good enough to keep me engaged. There were moments where I found the story to be boring. However, I also had moments where I was really interested and wondered how it happened. I thought the characters were okay. Bets was an okay main character. Also, I thought that the family dynamic between Bets and Miss E was very interesting. I like the ending. It ended on a
Krissy Ronan
Mar 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Wonderful historical fiction from the Vietnam War era in America. I loved getting to know Bets and watching her evolve through her challenges in that tough time somewhere between childhood and adulthood. We all need a person who helps us see ourselves, and I'm so glad that Bets found that someone. I would love to hang out with Miss E over a glass of tomato juice!
Susie
Jun 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Once you get past part of the basic premise and let your mind be free to imagine, this is very thought-provoking. I first "met" the author through a weekday 5:30 am Twitter chat for educators. Actually, once I thought about comparing this to fan fiction, an exponentially-growing pastime for teens, it didn't seem so preposterous! I loved the 100 photo challenge, and there were several things that did not turn out the way I expected. It was fun visualizing what it would be like to see Miss E drivi ...more
Emalie
Jul 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book! I totally identified with the main character, Bet. I'm not usually into historical fiction, but this was really more fiction than historical. It was about the 60s, which is a period I didn't know much about, but Bets is totally like kids today, and a lot of the stuff she deals with is similar. I couldn't beleive it when i finally figured out who Miss E. really is, but it's awesome that Bets discovers her identity halfway through the book so you can enjoy everything that happen ...more
Betty
Jul 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a really cool story. Not at all what I expected. I was really surprised when the main character figured out who Miss E. really was. I had no idea, and actually ended up reading more about her online because I didn't know a whole lot. But she is just part of the story. The other stuff that happens to Bets is amazing, and she ends up growing into a really strong female character.
Abner
Nov 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
A very thoughtful book, with richly drawn characters and plotting that was surprising but, ultimately, very sensible. I could imagine teaching this book with middle schoolers, for it would allow all kinds of rich discussion - about Amelia Earhart, about the Vietnam War, about the US in the 60s, about women and their roles in our society. The book explored many interesting ideas.
Lorenda Wieder
Dec 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. It's a well written story, combining Amelia Earhart and the Vietnam War in an original and intriguing way. I'm going to recommend this to my friends and school librarian.
Ann Harrington
Jan 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An intriguing and insightful book for YA readers....creative and heartfelt!
Kirsty
Jul 23, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I simply did not get into the story of Brian Herberger's Miss E.. The writing style was okay, but I must admit that I gave up on it quite early on.
Melissa
This was okay. Fairly simplistic, and not a great portrayal of a teenage girl. The protagonist preached a lot, and that was annoying. The plot was good, however, and kept me interested. 3*
Elizabeth
Feb 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was really unique and fascinating. Though technically about a YA/teen, this can be enjoyed by all ages - especially those who appreciate history.

The beginning of the book focused on finding out who Miss E is, and I loved that part! I won't say who it is, but you are in for a treat. I enjoyed learning about her "history" and what happened to her.

The book alternated between two main themes: Miss E and the Vietnam War. It was a nice break from becoming redundant and added more depth to th
Sue Holmes
*review copy received from publisher*
This story held great potential, with a time period seldom covered in YA. Unfortunately, the story felt dry, and the message punted came across as preachy. In addition, the narrator, a fifteen-year-old girl, had an extremely mature viewpoint which didn't match her age.
Deirdre Fagan
Apr 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Herberger has written a compelling first novel. I don't typically read young adult fiction, but the cover and title drew me in, and once I met Bets and Miss E., I couldn't stop turning the pages. The characters are carefully and vividly drawn and will stay with the reader long after the book closes. Carefully weaving together the facts of history with his fiction, Herberger tells a moving and inspirational tale that is as exciting as it is informative. The book is categorized as young adult fict ...more
Chris Davis
I have to start out by saying that I’m not normally a fan of modern historical fiction. However, Miss E sucked me in right from the beginning and kept me eagerly turning pages until the end.

As a middle school teacher, Bets feels like a very real teenage girl struggling to find herself. She is torn between the expectations of the people in the small town she’s moved to and being true to herself and what she believes in – a struggle many girls today will be able to identify with.
Despite the titl
Nichole Lindgren
Dec 19, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not usually my genre but I was into this story. Because I'm not usually into the genre the start was a bit slow for me but didn't take long to pick up. The story was very creative and there were many ideas from the story that resonated with me and things going on right now. It definitely inspired me to do a little googling too to learn a bit more about the historical character in the story (I knew some but was interested in learning more). I loved Bets and the person she became throughout the st ...more
Elizabeth
Apr 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book from the start. It's historical fiction with a twist! I can totally relate to Bets and the struggles she goes through. Her character is a great narrator and you really feel like you get to know her. I had my suspicions about Miss E. early on, and I was right! But the way the book it written, you feel like you are discovering her right along with Bets. Loved it!!!
Julie Allan
Jun 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Even an adult reader will enjoy this story from the fanciful character of Miss E to the setting of the late sixties. Great themes and lessons for young people and so refreshing after all the dystopian and paranormal novels in the YA genre.
Kathy Meis
Apr 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Highly recommended read for middle grade and high school students. Beautifully written, intriguing plot, rich in history and coming of age wisdom. An impressive debut novel from Brian Herberger.
Beth
Aug 11, 2017
Kimberly Larsen
Great character development in this coming of age story. It's 1967, Bets has just moved to California and her machinist dad is sent to Vietnam. Her mother is void of emotion, which is a source of frustration for Bets. The mystery of 70-year-old Miss E. who lives on a farm outside of town is an interesting piece. Bets's school class visits San Francisco and encounters a war protest. We see the different responses of classmates, teachers and parents. Bets discovers her values and takes a stand.
Sucharitha
Apr 07, 2018
Katie Eustis
Mar 04, 2017
MissMcfoxlin
Nov 08, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 next »
YA Buddy Readers'...: Miss E. by Brian Herberger- Starting October 6th 2016 42 107 Oct 31, 2016 04:03AM
  • Bring Me Your Saddest Arizona
  • Cook Food: A Manualfesto for Easy, Healthy, Local Eating
  • A Tale of Two Demon Slayers (Demon Slayer, #3)
  • The Day Freedom Died: The Colfax Massacre, the Supreme Court and the Betrayal of Reconstruction
  • Summer People
  • Doctor Who: Ghosts of India
  • Auntie Mame: An Irreverent Escapade (Auntie Mame #1)
  • Doctor Who: The Doctor Trap
  • Murder on the Ballarat Train (Phryne Fisher, #3)
  • Laura: The Life of Laura Ingalls Wilder
  • Stoked - 1969
  • Found (Magic Thief, #3)
  • City of Light
  • Wrecked
  • The Old Blue Coat
  • Color the Cover Sketchbook: Sketchbook 4
  • Bones of Faerie (Bones of Faerie, #1)
  • The Boy with the Amber Eyes (Hawthorne Horses, #2)
As an educator, father of two, and a former middle school English teacher, Brian Herberger is immersed in the world of young adult fiction. In his debut novel, he draws on childhood memories of flying with his father and combines them with his love of history to create a story that is exciting, meaningful and fun. Originally from Buffalo, New York, Brian now lives, reads, and writes in the Washing ...more