Start by marking “Sweetest Regret” as Want to Read:
Sweetest Regret

Sweetest Regret

3.69  ·  Rating details ·  416 Ratings  ·  108 Reviews
The spirit of the season is festive—and clouding even the sharpest of judgments—in this Victorian era romance, perfect for fans of Jude Deveraux and Sabrina Jeffries.

At a house party in the countryside, the joyful spirit of the Christmas season threatens to sweep Georgiana Trent under the mistletoe—and back into the arms of the dashing rogue who broke her heart two years
Published November 28th 2016 by Pocket Star

To ask other readers questions about Sweetest Regret, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sweetest Regret

Christina ~ Brunette Reader

Some sweet reconciliation and some Victorian mischief under the mistletoe in a well-written and engaging novella. The shorter format usually doesn't allow much in-depth development, but Meredith Duran's clever and flawless prose still conveys a story arc, a sensual romance, humour and characterisations strong enough as to make it a thoroughly enjoyable read.

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

I read this book for the Unapologetic Romance Readers' New Years 2017 Reading Challenge. For more info about what this is, click here.

I have to say, it feels weird reading a romance about Christmas in April. Kind of like if you were to go to the grocery store, looking for adorable chocolate eggs for the kiddies, and happened upon a dusty red-and-green package of candy canes. You can't help asking yourself, "How long have these been here? Is
Melisa - Traveling Sister
A sweet, romantic novella set in Victorian England at Christmastime. If that doesn't give you the warm fuzzies, I don't know what will!

There is nothing that frustrates me more than the entire plot of a book being based on a miscommunication that could easily be resolved with a single conversation. Which was what I believed was happening until the plot took a turn for the best.

A bit racy for my taste in parts, but I am new to this genre. Overall I believed it to be a short and sweet love story.

T
Caz
Dec 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars rounded up.

An engaging, readable novella, Sweetest Regret tells the story of lovers reunited at Christmas. Georgina Trent, daughter of the influential diplomat, Sir Philip Trent, is used to acting as her father’s hostess, but is annoyed when he announces he has to travel to Constantinople immediately, leaving her with a half-dozen house-guests to deal with until Boxing Day. To make things worse, he tells her that one of the guests has stolen an important letter, he wants Georgina to fi
Meredith Duran
Apr 27, 2016 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
A note of clarification from the author -- this upcoming release is a novella that was previously published in 2015 in the Christmas-themed anthology, WHAT HAPPENS UNDER THE MISTLETOE.

Modesty forbids me to rate it. ;-)
Lyuda
Nov 28, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: victorian
Nice Christmas novella but it didn’t capture me as I thought it would.

Part of it is the plot- two people torn apart by lies and misunderstanding and reunited again two years later. These lies were not revealed until 45 % into the novella. Every time I thought that’s it, now they’re going to clear the air, somebody would interrupt them. It became little frustrating.
Part of it is the great love that the hero had for the heroine. It felt little over the top for me. I just didn’t see what is there i
WhiskeyintheJar/Kyraryker
FMABookReviews
❝Interest dulls. Interest does not ruin a man. It does not blind him to other women. It does not catch in his chest like a hook. What I felt for you -- what I feel for you -- is far from interest.❞

I love Meredith Duran's writing! I don't know how she does it. Within her stories, you find layers of romance. With the turn of each page, my heart grows fuller. Her writing is fluid, her characters are fully developed and her stories, exquisitely detailed and full of passion.  Meredith Duran is my u
Sonya Heaney
I love the Victorian era (this one is set in 1885, so far enough into the era for cool stuff like telegrams!). I love reunion stories. I’m a fan of Christmas, and like books about the season as long as they’re not full of cheese.

Meredith Duran is a well-known historical romance author, and one whose work I’ve never read before. No idea why, because I enjoy her style, her characterisation, and LOVE the atmosphere of the era she creates. There were a few issues I had with this one (research and la
Giedre
Dec 03, 2016 rated it liked it
Short & with a side of miscommunication, so I mostly enjoyed this one because it's Duran.
Stacee
Nov 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
I have a love/hate relationship with novellas. If they're good, I'm always wanting more. And such is the case with this one.

I really liked Georgie and Lucas. They're both a bit stubborn and it was highly amusing to read their banter and chemistry. I enjoyed the twist and for once, the miscommunication didn't bother me.

I could have easily read a full book with these two, but I'm quite satisfied with what there was. I'll definitely be looking into other titles by this author.

**Huge thanks to Po
Gilgamesha
Aug 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Meredith Duran proves herself the master of words once again!!!

The only thing that stopped me from giving this book a 5 star was my anger against her father....and the ease with which he was forgiven.....otherwise a beautifully written story with heart wrenching angst and sizzling chemistry. Loved it.
kris
Dec 10, 2017 rated it liked it
Two years ago, Lucas Godwin and Georgiana Trent flirted hardcore in Munich for a month before he abruptly left the country, believing that Georgie had been insulted by his attentions. Obviously, they're both hurting from the betrayal of their FEELINGS so when they meet up again, the lingering coals of their burning loins BURST INTO FLAME ONCE AGAIN. Come roast some Christmas chestnuts on this raging fire.

For a short Christmas novella, this was cute! A bit too much reliance on the traditions of
Chris  Carroll
Great read! Love these sweet and spicy novella's!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Meredith Duran is known for her historical romances and I love the fact that she has been publishing little novellas that fill in between her full size novels.

Sweetest Regret was a fabulous read. I love the way the author creates her stories. With plenty of background, some heated anticipation, hot connections, and a HEA to swoon over, you get a full size read in a great novella from an author that knows how to heat up the pages
Nidofito
This short little novella gives us a glimpse of a sweet second-chance romance story.
Sheila Melo
Oct 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
FINAL DECISION: An enjoyable and well developed story about a second chance at love.

THE STORY: Georgiana "Georgie" Trent is left by her diplomat father to entertain his guests for Christmas and to search for a letter that one of the guests has stolen. To assist her, her father sends Lucas Godwin. Lucas broke Georgie's heart two years ago when he left without a word to her. The two fight one another while searching for the letter and end up discovering what actually happened two years ago.

OPINION
Georgie
I'm slightly surprised to be giving this just 2 stars - Meredith Duran's writing is usually not just reliable, but exciting. I suspect it may be the Curse of the Christmas Novella striking again, which insists that a heart-warming tale involving Christmas, the effects of snow, love, hot chestnuts, angst and resolution needs to be shoe-horned into 30k words.

MD has further stacked the cards against herself by including several flashback sequences, which not only distract from the story, but also
Juliana Philippa
Very enjoyable holiday-season novella! I had actually already read it in the anthology What Happens Under the Mistletoe a year ago, or whenever that book came out, but it was one of those times where as you read it, you remember those parts, but everything that comes next is still a surprise.

Summary. It's Christmas-time of 1885 and Georgiana Trent (20s), the only child of Sir Philip, a wealthy and highly esteemed British diplomat, finds herself hosting a small group of diplomats who had been i
Teresa
Dec 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
My current mood lately has put me on the path of several holiday books, especially novellas. This was a quick read that's I enjoyed with Christmas music and tea. It was full of traditional Christmas scenes, which I enjoyed immensely. The somewhat second chance romance was an added bonus.

This book was a really good escape and enjoyable read, but if I had to quibbable, the overuse of exclamation points was irritating at times. Usually something like that would be a bigger deal for me, but the res
Lisa
I don't usually give 4 stars to novellas but this one is so short and fulfilling I love it so much.
Caitlyn Lynch
Mar 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
If you love historical romance and you haven't read Meredith Duran yet, you're seriously missing out. This charming novella is a perfect little gem of a story; set in 1885, it tells the story of Georgie, daughter of a senior diplomat, and Lucas, a young man born from a scandalous marriage and determined to make something of himself in the diplomatic corps.

Georgie and Lucas first met two years before the happenings of Sweetest Regret, but heavy-handed interference from Georgie's father drove them
Bookish
Apr 14, 2017 added it
Shelves: romance
There’s still a nip in the air, so I think I can be forgiven for indulging in a Christmas novella so far out of the appropriate season. I don’t read many romance novellas, and I was truly impressed by how invested I felt in these characters after just a short glimpse into their lives. This was my first Meredith Duran book, but it definitely will not be my last. —Stephanie (https://www.bookish.com/articles/book...)
Amanda
Mar 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was cute. I think it was the last Duran story that I hadn't yet read, so I'm all caught up now.
Ana Maria
quizá casi 4. Novela corta, muy tierna y dulce. Una segunda oportunidad luego de un desencuentro generado por terceros. (nada de infidelidad y mucho amor)
Wendy
Dec 21, 2016 rated it really liked it

Sweetest Regret has had mixed reviews but personally I was rather pleased with my first foray into this author's work. Not normally a fan of novellas, I was pleasantly surprised with both the quality of Meredith Duran's writing and the content.

Georgiana Trent has been left high and dry by her father and instructed to host a Christmas house party for his diplomatic colleagues while he travels to Constantinople. She has always been her father's 'right hand man' so this poses no real problem for he
Bambi Unbridled
Feb 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This novella was previously published in What Happens Under the Mistletoe, (titled Sweet Ruin) and it was my favorite story of the anthology. This was somewhat surprising because this is in the second chance romance trope, which is not usually one of my preferred storylines due to a general abundance of angst and drama. Sweetest Regret did look like it was heading in that direction at first. However, I ended up loving Georgie and Lucas. They learned they were betrayed by someone close to them, a ...more
Michelle (Undeniably Book Nerdy)
Short and sweet. Really liked it! Full review to come.

Originally posted on Undeniably Book Nerdy book blog:

FYI: Sweetest Regret was previously published in the in 2015 in the Christmas-themed anthology, What Happens Under the Mistletoe.

Meredith Duran is one of my auto-buy authors because I can always count her books for an excellent historical romance read. Sweetest Regret, a novella, is no exception--even though it's a novella, you still get a full, satisfying story and a swoon-worthy HEA.

Georg
Mary at USAT's HEA
Do you like second chance romances without an overly long, drawn out big misunderstanding? Pick up Meredith Duran's Sweetest Regret and you’ll find exactly this.

Georgiana Trent and Lucas Godwin both believe they were rejected by the other two years ago after a flirtation. They’re unwillingly reunited when Georgiana’s diplomatic father commands his subordinate Trent attend a house party to help solve a political mystery, because he cannot attend. Georgiana is the hostess, and she isn’t happy to s
Connie Fischer
Nov 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
December 1885

Georgina (Georgie) Trent has been tasked by her father to host a rowdy group of drunken foreign diplomats for Christmas. One of these people has supposedly stolen a sensitive letter from her father’s study and now Lucas Godwin has been sent to find the thief. This is the man who broke Georgie’s heart two years ago. When they meet again, she is cool and aloof to him. But, he has never forgotten her.

As Georgie is the hostess for the foreign visitors, she has planned some expeditions a
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Apr 21, 2017 12:07PM
MEREDITH DURAN blames Anne Boleyn for sparking her lifelong obsession with British history. She is the author of twelve novels, all published by Pocket Books. Her debut, The Duke of Shadows, has been translated into thirteen languages and was ranked among the top 100 romances of all time by NPR and All About Romance. Her other books include RITA award winner Fool Me Twice and her February 2017 rel ...more
More about Meredith Duran

Romance Deals

• Protected (Deadly Secrets, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Plain Fame (Plain Fame #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Crazy Little Thing (Bell Harbor, #1)
  • Safe Haven
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The King (Masterpiece Duet, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Along the Broken Road (The Roads to River Rock, #1)
  • Avalon
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Down the Hidden Path (The Roads to River Rock Book 2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • My Kind of You (Trillium Bay #1)
  • How to Say I Love You Out Loud
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Queen and the Cure (The Bird and the Sword Chronicles, #2)
    $5.95 $2.49
  • If You Stay (Beautifully Broken, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Moonlight Over Paris
    $10.74 $1.99
  • Crossing Hearts (Cross Creek, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Exposure (Midnight, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Burned by Her Devotion (Rogue Vows, #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Trouble with Dukes (Windham Brides, #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Crossing the Line (Cross Creek #2)
  • Yours Until Dawn
    $6.74 $1.99
  • Fallen Crest Forever (Fallen Crest Series #7)
  • I See London, I See France
  • Dragonwyck
    $14.99 $1.99
  • While You Were Mine
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Falling Star (Shooting Stars, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly in Love (Lake Haven, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Seconds to Live (Scarlet Falls #3)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Her Darkest Nightmare (The Evelyn Talbot Chronicles, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Passing His Guard (Against the Cage, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Hour of Need (Scarlet Falls, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Minutes to Kill (Scarlet Falls, #2)
  • Sharp Edges
    $6.72 $1.99
  • Our Now and Forever (Ardent Springs, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • #Starstruck (#Lovestruck, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Beauty of Us (Fusion, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Law of Moses (The Law of Moses, #1)
    $5.95 $2.49
  • Emerald (Red Hot Love #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • She Can Run (She Can Series)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • 13 Little Blue Envelopes (Little Blue Envelope, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • White Heat (Firefighter Book 1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • His First and Last (Ardent Springs, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Softhearted (Deep in the Heart, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Goodbye Bride (Summer Harbor, #2)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Reed (Cold Fury Hockey, #10)
  • The Wedding Chapel
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Raven Prince (princes trilogy)
  • Maggie's Turn
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Cover of Darkness (Suspense Series, #2)
  • Always
    $13.99 $2.99
  • After You Left
    $4.99 $1.99
  • How the Cowboy Was Won (Cupid, Texas, #6)
  • Don't Let Go
  • Magnolia Nights
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Her Last Goodbye (Morgan Dane, #2)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Filthy Rich (Blackstone Dynasty, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Tempting the Beast (Breeds, #1; Feline Breeds, #1)
  • Saving Abby
    $4.49 $1.99
  • She Can Kill (She Can...#5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Gone (Deadly Secrets, #2)
  • Trust in Advertising
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Fatal Pursuit (Aegis, #3)
  • Changing Lanes
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Doing It Over (Most Likely To, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • One Dance with a Duke (Stud Club, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • An Obsession with Vengeance (Wanted Men, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Promise of Provence (Love in Provence, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Tracks of Her Tears (Rogue Winter, #1)
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
    $4.24 $1.99
  • A Matter of Grave Concern
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Duke's Holiday (The Regency Romp Trilogy, #1)
  • Stay (WAGs, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Seventh Grave and No Body (Charley Davidson, #7)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Heat Wave
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Murder Notes (Lilah Love, #1)
  • Since You've Been Gone
  • The Laws of Gravity
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dangerous Waters (Barkley Sound, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Dating (Not Quite, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Mine (Not Quite, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Only for You (Sugar Lake #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Salvation of Vengeance (Wanted Men, #2)
  • Stay With Me
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fired (Worked Up, #1)
  • Things We Know by Heart
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Styxx (Dark-Hunter, #23)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Affair
    $18.99 $1.99
  • Someone for Me (Someone to Love, #3)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Some Kind of Hero (Troubleshooters, #17)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • How to Marry a Millionaire Vampire (Love at Stake, #1)
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Secret of a Heart Note
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Love with a Perfect Cowboy (Cupid, Texas, #4)
  • Internet Famous
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Kissing in America
    $9.99 $1.99
  • A Love of Vengeance (Wanted Men, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone to Love (Someone to Love, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Best Man (Alpha Men, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Never Love a Cowboy (Rogues in Texas, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wrong Question, Right Answer (The Bourbon Street Boys #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Bent (Back to Brooklyn, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Stone Cold Cowboy (Montana Men, #4)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly Dating (Lake Haven,  #2)
  • Midnight Embrace
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly Engaged (Lake Haven #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Shadow Fall (Tracers, #9)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • She Can Hide (She Can, #4)
  • The Crush
    $7.99 $2.99
  • After the Game (The Field Party, #3)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • More to Give (Anchor Island #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Up to the Challenge (Anchor Island, #2)
  • The Color of Secrets
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Home to Stay (Anchor Island, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Gone to Her Grave (Rogue River, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone Like Her (K2 Team, #2)
  • Thrill of Love
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Perfect (Not Quite Series, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Enough (Not Quite, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Mighty Storm (The Storm, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Forever (Not Quite, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Hellion (Wicked Wallflowers, #1)
  • Roomies
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Crazy for Her (K2 Team, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Left Drowning (Left Drowning #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • All I Need Is You (Thrillseekers Anonymous, #1)
  • How To Keep Rolling After a Fall
  • No Love Allowed
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Midnight Sacrifice (Midnight, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Obsession (Midnight, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Betrayal (Midnight, #3)
  • Meant to Be
  • Love, Chloe
    $3.99 $1.99
“They’re diplomats, Mr. Godwin. Their livelihood depends on trouble. When they find none, they must invent it, lest they be thrown out of a job.” 1 likes