Start by marking “Sweetest Regret” as Want to Read:
Sweetest Regret

Sweetest Regret

The spirit of the season is festive—and clouding even the sharpest of judgments—in this Victorian era romance, perfect for fans of Jude Deveraux and Sabrina Jeffries.

At a house party in the countryside, the joyful spirit of the Christmas season threatens to sweep Georgiana Trent under the mistletoe—and back into the arms of the dashing rogue who broke her heart two years
Published November 28th 2016 by Pocket Star

To ask other readers questions about Sweetest Regret, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sweetest Regret

Start your review of Sweetest Regret
Julie
Sweetest Regret by Meredith Duran is a 2016 Pocket Star publication.

This story has a touch of intrigue, which is always fun, but the story title suggested some regret is involved, and indeed a young couple in love were driven apart, losing two years together as a result. However, this delightful second chance love story, ends with the couple finally making up for all that lost time. There is some cute banter in this one and I really loved the ending.

4 stars
Christina ~ Brunette Reader

Some sweet reconciliation and some Victorian mischief under the mistletoe in a well-written and engaging novella. The shorter format usually doesn't allow much in-depth development, but Meredith Duran's clever and flawless prose still conveys a story arc, a sensual romance, humour and characterisations strong enough as to make it a thoroughly enjoyable read.
Nenia Campbell

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

I read this book for the Unapologetic Romance Readers' New Years 2017 Reading Challenge. For more info about what this is, click here.

I have to say, it feels weird reading a romance about Christmas in April. Kind of like if you were to go to the grocery store, looking for adorable chocolate eggs for the kiddies, and happened upon a dusty red-and-green package of candy canes. You can't help asking yourself, "How long have these been here?
Melisa
Jan 10, 2017 rated it liked it
A sweet, romantic novella set in Victorian England at Christmastime. If that doesn't give you the warm fuzzies, I don't know what will!

There is nothing that frustrates me more than the entire plot of a book being based on a miscommunication that could easily be resolved with a single conversation. Which was what I believed was happening until the plot took a turn for the best.

A bit racy for my taste in parts, but I am new to this genre. Overall I believed it to be a short and sweet love story.

T
aarya
Reread on December 24, 2020: I finally upped the rating to 5 stars because I reread this every year and I love it so.

Reread on December 15, 2019: I don't even like second-chance but I love this. The definition of a comfort read and perfect for reading next to the Christmas tree.

Reread on February 24, 2019: I love Meredith Duran. I don’t think she’s written anything that I haven’t loved. And she’s a master at writing novellas.
Caz
Dec 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars rounded up.

An engaging, readable novella, Sweetest Regret tells the story of lovers reunited at Christmas. Georgina Trent, daughter of the influential diplomat, Sir Philip Trent, is used to acting as her father’s hostess, but is annoyed when he announces he has to travel to Constantinople immediately, leaving her with a half-dozen house-guests to deal with until Boxing Day. To make things worse, he tells her that one of the guests has stolen an important letter, he wants Georgina to fi
Meredith Duran
Apr 27, 2016 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
A note of clarification from the author -- this upcoming release is a novella that was previously published in 2015 in the Christmas-themed anthology, WHAT HAPPENS UNDER THE MISTLETOE.

Modesty forbids me to rate it. ;-)
Lyuda
Nov 28, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: victorian
Nice Christmas novella but it didn’t capture me as I thought it would.

Part of it is the plot- two people torn apart by lies and misunderstanding and reunited again two years later. These lies were not revealed until 45 % into the novella. Every time I thought that’s it, now they’re going to clear the air, somebody would interrupt them. It became little frustrating.
Part of it is the great love that the hero had for the heroine. It felt little over the top for me. I just didn’t see what is there i
Preeti ♥︎ Her Bookshelves
3.65* short and sweet novella stars

Take the staple spinster/wallflower/bluestocking
And a dashing diplomat with a dark and disgraced family history
Add a sweet (h/H) almost-romance gone wrong in the past
With an interfering and troublemaking father

Now a house-party reunion along a mini-spy plot
A miffed and determinedly cool h
A charming laid back rogue with sad eyes
Some really funny and charming moments
(Stinks of interference again)

All add up to a sweet and tender love story with likable mcs.
FMABookReviews
❝Interest dulls. Interest does not ruin a man. It does not blind him to other women. It does not catch in his chest like a hook. What I felt for you -- what I feel for you -- is far from interest.❞

I love Meredith Duran's writing! I don't know how she does it. Within her stories, you find layers of romance. With the turn of each page, my heart grows fuller. Her writing is fluid, her characters are fully developed and her stories, exquisitely detailed and full of passion.  Meredith Duran is my
Addie H
May 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Great writing, but suffers from being a novella
WhiskeyintheJar
Jultri
I accidentally started this, not realising it's a novella, which I tend to avoid. I ended up finishing it because it was quite effortless which is the best thing about novellas. This book also epitomises the worst thing about novellas, the brevity means very little emotional depth, very little time for character development and growth or escalation of sexual tension. There's none of the fiesty bantering and emotive writing, Duran is known for. It was just okay as novellas go. ...more
Sonya Heaney
I love the Victorian era (this one is set in 1885, so far enough into the era for cool stuff like telegrams!). I love reunion stories. I’m a fan of Christmas, and like books about the season as long as they’re not full of cheese.

Meredith Duran is a well-known historical romance author, and one whose work I’ve never read before. No idea why, because I enjoy her style, her characterisation, and LOVE the atmosphere of the era she creates. There were a few issues I had with this one (research and la
G.
Dec 03, 2016 rated it liked it
Short & with a side of miscommunication, so I mostly enjoyed this one because it's Duran. ...more
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
Thank for for the gift, my friend!
Stacee
Nov 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
I have a love/hate relationship with novellas. If they're good, I'm always wanting more. And such is the case with this one.

I really liked Georgie and Lucas. They're both a bit stubborn and it was highly amusing to read their banter and chemistry. I enjoyed the twist and for once, the miscommunication didn't bother me.

I could have easily read a full book with these two, but I'm quite satisfied with what there was. I'll definitely be looking into other titles by this author.

**Huge thanks to Po
Gilgamesha
Aug 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Meredith Duran proves herself the master of words once again!!!

The only thing that stopped me from giving this book a 5 star was my anger against her father....and the ease with which he was forgiven.....otherwise a beautifully written story with heart wrenching angst and sizzling chemistry. Loved it.
kris
Dec 10, 2017 rated it liked it
Two years ago, Lucas Godwin and Georgiana Trent flirted hardcore in Munich for a month before he abruptly left the country, believing that Georgie had been insulted by his attentions. Obviously, they're both hurting from the betrayal of their FEELINGS so when they meet up again, the lingering coals of their burning loins BURST INTO FLAME ONCE AGAIN. Come roast some Christmas chestnuts on this raging fire.

For a short Christmas novella, this was cute! A bit too much reliance on the traditions of
Chris  C - A Midlife Wife
Great read! Love these sweet and spicy novella's!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Meredith Duran is known for her historical romances and I love the fact that she has been publishing little novellas that fill in between her full size novels.

Sweetest Regret was a fabulous read. I love the way the author creates her stories. With plenty of background, some heated anticipation, hot connections, and a HEA to swoon over, you get a full size read in a great novella from an author that knows how to heat up the pages
Sofia Lazaridou
Aug 15, 2020 rated it did not like it
Sweetest Regret is a second chance novella written by Meredith Duran. The blurb sums up what the book is about and there isn't another thing to add.

For a short book, I am surprised that I came up with so many things to dislike. The biggest thing was the miscommunication between the main characters. Two years ago, Georgie and Lucas had a problem with expressing their feelings and that hasn't changed in the present. Lucas has issues that kept him from going after what he wanted and Georgie was a
☽ Rhiannon ✭ Mistwalker ☾
I do so love a good Misunderstanding, especially when it provokes the heroine’s insecurities. There is a dose of angst there for certain, but the heroine is fairly confident and comfortable with herself, so the story doesn’t spend a lot of time on her feelings about herself - she’s more angry than hurt. But there was enough of that trope there that I definitely enjoyed it. (3.5 stars)
Sheila Melo
Oct 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
FINAL DECISION: An enjoyable and well developed story about a second chance at love.

THE STORY: Georgiana "Georgie" Trent is left by her diplomat father to entertain his guests for Christmas and to search for a letter that one of the guests has stolen. To assist her, her father sends Lucas Godwin. Lucas broke Georgie's heart two years ago when he left without a word to her. The two fight one another while searching for the letter and end up discovering what actually happened two years ago.

OPINION
Georgie-who-is-Sarah-Drew
I'm slightly surprised to be giving this just 2 stars - Meredith Duran's writing is usually not just reliable, but exciting. I suspect it may be the Curse of the Christmas Novella striking again, which insists that a heart-warming tale involving Christmas, the effects of snow, love, hot chestnuts, angst and resolution needs to be shoe-horned into 30k words.

MD has further stacked the cards against herself by including several flashback sequences, which not only distract from the story, but also
Juliana Philippa
Very enjoyable holiday-season novella! I had actually already read it in the anthology What Happens Under the Mistletoe a year ago, or whenever that book came out, but it was one of those times where as you read it, you remember those parts, but everything that comes next is still a surprise.

Summary. It's Christmas-time of 1885 and Georgiana Trent (20s), the only child of Sir Philip, a wealthy and highly esteemed British diplomat, finds herself hosting a small group of diplomats who had been
Leigh Kramer
This was the enemies to lovers Christmas romance of my dreams! We’ve got a house party, intrigue, and Georgie and Lucas hating each other over a big misunderstanding. When they finally learned the truth of what happened two years ago, it. was. on. Meredith Duran is just the best.

CW: past death of parents, absentee father, grouse hunting
Teresa
Dec 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
My current mood lately has put me on the path of several holiday books, especially novellas. This was a quick read that's I enjoyed with Christmas music and tea. It was full of traditional Christmas scenes, which I enjoyed immensely. The somewhat second chance romance was an added bonus.

This book was a really good escape and enjoyable read, but if I had to quibbable, the overuse of exclamation points was irritating at times. Usually something like that would be a bigger deal for me, but the res
Lisa
I don't usually give 4 stars to novellas but this one is so short and fulfilling I love it so much. ...more
Nidofito
This short little novella gives us a glimpse of a sweet second-chance romance story.
Melanie
Apr 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Sweetest Regret was a quick, fun read with a wonderful second chance at love romance and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Georgiana Trent is used to her diplomat father dashing off on a moment's notice, but she was unprepared for him to do so during the house party he was hosting. In addition to taking on hostess duties, her father has tasked her with locating an important letter stolen by one of the guests. To assist her in finding the letter her father sends Lucas Godwin to the house, the very man who
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Apr 21, 2017 12:07PM

• By Any Other Name
  • When She Was Naughty
  • Twelve Kisses to Midnight (The Oxenburg Princes, #3.5)
  • The Heiress and the Hothead (Sinful Suitors, #1.5)
  • A Dangerous Kind of Lady (Longhope Abbey, #2)
  • A Matter of Class
  • The Duke Who Didn't (Wedgeford Trials, #1)
  • Beguiling the Beauty (Fitzhugh Trilogy, #1)
  • His at Night (The London Trilogy #3)
  • My Dad's Best Friend (A Touch of Taboo, #3)
  • The Scandalous, Dissolute, No-Good Mr. Wright
  • About a Rogue (Desperately Seeking Duke, #1)
  • The Serpent Prince (Princes Trilogy, #3)
  • Capturing the Silken Thief (The Pingkang Li Mysteries #0.5)
  • Lord of Darkness (Maiden Lane, #5)
  • What I Did for a Duke (Pennyroyal Green, #5)
  • An Earl Like You (The Wagers of Sin, #2)
  • Scandal
MEREDITH DURAN blames Anne Boleyn for sparking her lifelong obsession with British history. She is the author of twelve novels, all published by Pocket Books. Her debut, The Duke of Shadows, has been translated into thirteen languages and was ranked among the top 100 romances of all time by NPR and All About Romance. Her other books include RITA award winner Fool Me Twice and her February 2017 rel ...more