Start by marking “Curse of the Blue Tattoo: Being an Account of the Misadventures of Jacky Faber, Midshipman and Fine Lady (Bloody Jack, #2)” as Want to Read:

(Bloody Jack #2)

After being forced to leave HMS Dolphin and Jaimy, her true love, Jacky Faber is making a new start at the elite Lawson Peabody School for Young Girls in Boston. But growing up on the streets of London and fighting pirates never prepared Jacky for her toughest battle yet: learning how to be a fine lady.

Everything she does is wrong. Her embroidery is deplorable, her French
Published January 12th 2011 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Curse of the Blue Tattoo, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Curse of the Blue Tattoo

Kathryn
Nov 03, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya, history
I am rating the unabridged audiobook recording of this novel and I find it almost impossible to try to separate the text from the "performance" in trying to craft my review so I simply won't! This audi0book has won all sorts of awards and for good reason. Narrator Katherine Kellgren is a phenomenon! Truly, I think she is the female Jim Dale. You would think this was a full cast recording her various voices and accents are so spot on. She instills such an incredible passion and "voice" to Jacky a ...more
Lala_Loopsie [fire breathing B!tch Queen]
DNF at 97%

Jack is still a fun character, she still has a knack to get into trouble. But the setting I don't like. I wanted adventure at sea, marine life, water, Jamie. Instead we have a school for ladies, curtseys, sailors on land and letter from Jamie. Not at all what I expected.
Allison
Jul 22, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Meyer, L.A. Curse of the Blue Tattoo: Being an Account of the Misadventures of Jacky Faber, Midshipman and Fine Lady, 496 pgs. Harcourt, Inc.; Language~PG-13, Sexual Content~PG; Violence~PG

After her perilous encounter with the dread pirate Le Fievre and her discovery as a girl, Jacky is put off the Dolphin and sent to a finishing school funded by her shares from the spoils of capturing the pirates loot. Under the stern thumb of the infamous Mistress Pimm, Jacky discovers just how far she is fro
Brandy
Feb 23, 2009 rated it really liked it
I wasn't sure about this going in--after all, a book about an uncultured girl being thrown into finishing school? How many of these awkward fish-out-of-water stories do we need?

I should have trusted. This isn't any girl, this is Jacky Faber, who gets herself into any number of delightful scraps and mishaps. In spite of Jacky's constant mooning over her boyfriend (from whom she hasn't heard in several months), this is still at its heart a fast-paced adventure story, and I think it still has boy a
Angela
Oct 12, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone
Recommended to Angela by: goodreads site
With each of these books, I love Jack more. The author has a great website about these books. I would love for these to be made into a PG13 set of movies. Listening to them has been a real pleasure. This installment is about Jack learning to be a real lady and the plots begin to thicken in her relationship with Jamey. Parts of the novels are not for the faint of heart and if one were to read them to one's children, I would recommend much discussion. The category of young adult fiction is being e ...more
Lydia Presley
I made the mistake of actually "reading" Bloody Jack (the first book) and this time chose to listen to the audio after reading an incredible amount of ravings over Katherine Kellgren. Let me tell you right now, the ravings were spot on.

Kellgren makes these books come alive. I laughed, cried, hooted and hollared right along with Jacky as she navigated the perils of becoming a "fine lady". I felt her longing for Jacky, her confusion at the rules and regulations of this new place she called home. I
Lady Godiva
Jul 10, 2011 rated it did not like it
Lady Knight
I really did not enjoy this. Although it did have parts that made me smile, Jacky is just too impulsive, thoughtless and down-right annoying for me to take right now. I honestly got stressed out reading this. Meyer might have created a wonderful character, and I do understand her making mistakes because of sheer ignorance, but does she need to be downright stupid to make that point? No she does not. There are even parts where Jacky comes across as mature for her age and fairly intelligent, so wh ...more
It took me forever to finally get through this book. The Bloody Jack books are so long I feel like they drag on and on. This one was okay but I still enjoyed the first one more. I will continue on with the series, I'm hoping the third book is better than this one. I found myself bored in some parts of this story.
Abby Johnson
Feb 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audio
HOLY CATS.
Not only did the nonstop action and adventure have me riveted, Katherine Kellgren's BLOODY PHENOMENAL narration brought the book to life. Much, much, much love for this recording.
Christy
Aug 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is number two in the “Bloody Jack” series. Jacky gets dropped off at a fancy girls’ school in Boston, where her pirates’ loot is being spent to turn her into a lady. Naturally it doesn’t take, and she wreaks her usual havoc. Things get hot for her at the end (literally--she accidentally sets the school on fire) so she skips out and heads back to sea. I listened to the audio version, and the narration is fantastic. I’m hoping to listen to volume one someday, if it ever comes available at the ...more
ASHLEY
Jun 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another fun adventure of Bloody Jack! I love these fun adventure reads. In this one we see Jacky attempt to be "good" as she learns to be a lady. Making friends is easy but trying to be good while also what feels right proves to be quite an issue for our sweet Jack.
Sheila Beaumont
I had previously read, and enjoyed, the first two "Bloody Jack" adventure tales, but I have found that by far the best way to experience them is via audiobook. These books are brought to life by the brilliant narration of the late Katherine Kellgren, one of my favorite audiobook readers (along with Jim Dale). In fact, I would recommend anything narrated by Ms. Kellgren.
Jul 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Oh Jacky! You sure can make the time go by!!
Nancy Meservier
After Jacky Faber is discovered as being a girl, she is kicked off of her ship and sent to an upper-class school for girls in Boston. Only Jacky isn’t too good at being a lady, or upper class. She struggles with her embroidery, and quickly makes an enemy in the wealthy Clarissa Worthington. It doesn’t take that much time for her to start getting into trouble either. Before she knows it, Jacky finds herself bumped down from high-class lady in to serving girl. How will she manage to survive her ne ...more
Tara Chevrestt
Apr 04, 2010 rated it it was amazing
There was no piracy or seafarin' in this edition of Jacky Faber's life, but I loved it anyway. Jacky Faber is probably my favorite heroine. Having posed as a ship's boy in the Royal Navy in book one and unfortunately, been found out, Jacky now finds herself set off her beloved ship, The Dolphin, and put into a school for ladies in Boston. This young gal has now gone from orphan to ship's boy to midshipman, to "fine lady" to chambermaid and finally to barroom performer, horse rider, and detective ...more
Rebecca
Oct 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Oh my gosh where to start?
I really loved the first book in the "Jacky Faber" series which I read several months ago so when I picked up the second "The Curse of the Blue Tattoo" I had high hopes. I was not disappointed! Jacky is the finest and spunkiest heroine you could ever hope for and her simple yet exciting voice kept me on the edge of my seat throughout her long, exciting, romantic tale! I have to say that I loved Randall and I hope that he and Jacky get together in the future! The preach
Robert Delikat
May 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Narrated by Katherine Kellgren, this is one of my all-time favorite audiobooks. It is an audio book at its best. This is a performance and not just a reading. This book and its reader have won many awards and rightfully so. The book is entertaining to the point of addiction. I read the first two books in the series in two days and would be working on the third if my iPod were not fully discharged.

There is not a dull moment in any of the first two books in this series: Bloody Jack #1 and The Cur
Jess
You can forgive the Bloody Jack books many things - unlikely plot points, melodrama, last-minute twists - because they have so much else going for them. I can't think of another historical fiction series that's as lively and comic, and I can't imagine reading them any other way than as audiobooks. Start with Bloody Jack: Being an Account of the Curious Adventures of Mary "Jacky" Faber, Ship's Boy. I know I'll roll my eyes when I hear what Jacky's up to next, but I also know I'll enjoy the ride.
AH
This series is a lot of fun to listen to. The narrator is pretty entertaining - she does the different voices well and she can sing.

In this book, Jackie is sent to Boston to become "a lady." Of course, Jackie never does things easily and she gets into a lot of trouble. She tries to be good, but...

There is A LOT of description in this audio book which works because it is an audio book. It does get a tad tiresome, but it helps the listener get a feel for that time period.

This is a perfect series
Herman
Wonderful series!
I shall read all the books in this fun and enjoyable series in the curse of the blue tattoo Miss Jacky Faber shows us young Boston, Blue-blood Boston, Puritan Boston, and dockside Boston, my can she ever get into some crazy adventures. Especially enjoy the class struggles at her school and I'm not talking about French, or Math or Embroidery, (Was that really a class) No I'm talking about Miss Howe, and Mistress Pimm, (I actually know one of the Howe's she is a direct descendant
Cara's Craftsations
May 25, 2016 rated it did not like it
It was like A Little Princess, but not as good. 1.5
Josiphine/Tessa
I liked this even more than the first one (less annoying romance).
 Marla
3.5 stars. Funny, lively, but long, rambling book about the tales of impulsive and free-spirited Jacky Faber, former orphan and Midshipman and now a lady in training. Jacky finally makes some female friends, but the maids are much friendlier to a fellow maid than the ladies-in-training are to Miss Faber. (view spoiler) ...more
Justine Barr
Jul 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is my second time reading this book, and I found it just as delightful as the first. Jacky gets into some wild adventures and makes some fantastic new friends along the way. I loved Meyer’s tension building between Jacky and Jaimie, the dark plot between Jacky and Reverend Mather, and the hilarity that ensues whenever Jacky gets a new scheme into her head. This book feels like Anne of Green Gables mixed with pirate-y goodness and leaves me excited for the next installment in this series.
Kate
I love this series and the narrator of the audio edition does a wonderful job, including singing short excerpts of period songs. I noticed L. A. Meyer passed away a few years ago in Ellsworth, ME where he had a gallery with his wife. I visited Ellsworth a number of times when I spent time in Belfast and am sad to think I missed an opportunity to tell him what wonderful books he wrote.
Eggbeater
Jun 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
It was recommended to me that I listen to this story in audio format and I agree. It has to be listened to with the appropriate accents, they make the book. It is an adventure story that is light and entertaining. It was just what I needed right now. I read the series out of order and I’ll probably go back and listen to the first one.
Bethany
Oct 31, 2017 rated it liked it
I just can't stop myself from listening to these audiobooks. There's so much that annoys me: Jacky's wild swings from fierce independence to blubbering mess, the stereotypical depictions of women, the ridiculously implausible cascades of adventure/trouble ... but Katherine Kellgren continues to enthrall. So I keep listening.
Lorianna G
Mar 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: teen, historical
This series is super fun, and the audiobook is excellent! Lots of action and memorable characters. Missed the more pirate-y action from the first book, but Jacky is an entertaining character in any setting.
Alaine
Jan 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Oh, dang. It's number two in a series I haven't started before. I just picked it based on the title. It's the blue tattoo.

1/22: This was so great! The narration is just about perfect. She acted out all the characters and sang, and well. Easily among the best narration I've heard in all the years I've been listening to audio books. The story was captivating too. I never got bored. I got impatient and switched off with the ebook to get to the next part faster when I could. I can't wait to read the
HELP. We are missing a disc! 1 22 Apr 30, 2012 06:27PM

• Piratica: Being a Daring Tale of a Singular Girl's Adventure Upon the High Seas (Piratica, #1)
  • Pirates!
  • Cat Among the Pigeons (Cat Royal, #2)
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • The Case of the Peculiar Pink Fan (Enola Holmes, #4)
  • White Sands, Red Menace (Green Glass #2)
  • Alchemy and Meggy Swann
  • Star-Crossed (Patricia MacPherson Nautical Adventures, #1)
  • The FitzOsbornes in Exile
  • The Silver Blade (French Revolution, #2)
  • Montmorency On The Rocks: Doctor, Aristocrat, Murderer? (Montmorency, #2)
  • The Lioness and Her Knight (The Squire's Tales, #7)
  • Wilderness Days (Boston Jane, #2)
  • The Pirate Captain's Daughter
  • In the Coils of the Snake (The Hollow Kingdom Trilogy, #3)
  • Powder Monkey (Adventures of a Young Sailor)
  • Alphabet of Dreams
  • The Last Silk Dress
Louis A. Meyer is best known as the author of the Bloody Jack novels. He was also a painter and the author of two children's picture books, and he and his wife owned an art gallery called Clair de Loon in Bar Harbor.

Louis A. Meyer passed away on July 29, 2014 from refractory Hodgkin’s Lymphoma. His final Jacky Faber book, Wild Rover No More, was published posthumously in September that year.

Bloody Jack (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Bloody Jack (Bloody Jack, #1)
  • Under the Jolly Roger: Being an Account of the Further Nautical Adventures of Jacky Faber (Bloody Jack, #3)
  • In the Belly of the Bloodhound: Being an Account of a Particularly Peculiar Adventure in the Life of Jacky Faber (Bloody Jack, #4)
  • Mississippi Jack: Being an Account of the Further Waterborne Adventures of Jacky Faber, Midshipman, Fine Lady, and Lily of the West (Bloody Jack, #5)
  • My Bonny Light Horseman: Being an Account of the Further Adventures of Jacky Faber, in Love and War (Bloody Jack, #6)
  • Rapture of the Deep: Being an Account of the Further Adventures of Jacky Faber, Soldier, Sailor, Mermaid, Spy (Bloody Jack, #7)
  • The Wake of the Lorelei Lee: Being an Account of the Adventures of Jacky Faber, on her Way to Botany Bay (Bloody Jack, #8)
  • The Mark of the Golden Dragon: Being an Account of the Further Adventures of Jacky Faber, Jewel of the East, Vexation of the West, and Pearl of the South China Sea (Bloody Jack, #9)
  • Viva Jacquelina! Being an Account of the Further Adventures of Jacky Faber, Over the Hills and Far Away (Bloody Jack, #10)
  • Boston Jacky: Being an Account of the Further Adventures of Jacky Faber, Taking Care of Business (Bloody Jack, #11)
“I warn't never meant to be a lady, I know that now. I got streaks of wildness in me that trip me up every time, and just like streaks in clothes, there's some dirt that just won't wash out.” 45 likes
“I can smell the smoke now. I can see tendrils of it comin' up between the cracks in the shrikin' floorboards. There she is, calmly taking down the framed examples of fine embroideries, samplers, and needlework from teh hallway wall and tucking them under her arm.
"Mistress! Come on! You've got to leave!"
She calmly turns and faces me. "Why?" she asks. "The British are coming?"
"Only one, Mistress," I say”
17 likes