Start by marking “Blackout (Dark Iceland #3)” as Want to Read:
Blackout (Dark Iceland #3)

Blackout

(Dark Iceland #3)

3.7  ·  Rating details ·  1,587 Ratings  ·  201 Reviews
On the shores of a tranquil fjord in Northern Iceland, a man is brutally beaten to death on a bright summer's night. As the 24-hour light of the arctic summer is transformed into darkness by an ash cloud from a recent volcanic eruption, a young reporter leaves Reykajvik to investigate on her own, unaware that an innocent person's life hangs in the balance. Ari Thór Arason ...more
Published June 30th 2016 by ORENDA BOOKS (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Blackout, please sign up.
Danita L This is the chronological order of the stories as explained in the preface of Nightblind:

"The events of Nightblind take place approximately five…more

"The events of Nightblind take place approximately five years after Snowblind . . . The next book in the series, Blackout, picks up the story directly after the events of Snowblind with the following two books, Rupture and Whiteout to complete the series of events linking Snowblind and Nightblind."

Therefore, the CHRONOLOGICAL ORDER OF THE STORIES is:

* * Fölsk nóta - Not set in Siglufjordur, but the first novel featuring Ari Thór Arason, as a young theology student looking for his missing father. (first published 2009)

1. Snowblind (Dark Iceland #1) (first published 2009)
2. Blackout (Dark Iceland #2) (first published January, 2011)
3. Rupture (Dark Iceland #3) (first published January 2012)
4. Whiteout (Dark Iceland #4) (first published October, 2013)
5. Nightblind (Dark Iceland #5) (first published October 1st 2014)

The original publication dates indicate the correct chronological story line. I don't know why publishers have to mess with the order of a story line.(less)

"The events of Nightblind take place approximately five…more

Therefore, the CHRONOLOGICAL ORDER OF THE STORIES is:

1. Snowblind (Dark Iceland #1) (first published 2009)
2. Blackout (Dark Iceland #2) (first published January, 2011)
3. Rupture (Dark Iceland #3) (first published January 2012)
4. Whiteout (Dark Iceland #4) (first published October, 2013)
5. Nightblind (Dark Iceland #5) (first published October 1st 2014)

Chelsea Humphrey
Jan 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: from-publisher
While I have yet to read Rupture, Blackout is by far my favorite in the series that I have read to date. Yes, each installment in the series features that dark, oppressing nature, but this one had something even more sinister lying between it’s pages. Even though these books are deeply atmospheric and slow burning in pace, I found I couldn’t absorb the information fast enough as I was dying to get to the big reveal in the end. Ragnar has a way with taking a seemingly normal story and twisting it ...more
Thomas
Aug 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
4 stars
This is book 2 in the Dark Iceland series. It is centered around 2 people, Isrun, a reporter for a tv station in Reykjavik, and Ari Thor, a policeman in Siglufjordur. A man is found brutally murdered in Skagafjordur, whose address is in Siglufjordur and the 3 man police team in Siglufjordur is asked to assist with interviews in the investigation. Isrun, ambitious to get ahead, sees this as her ticket to advancement and wangles an assignment to go and report on the death.
The other 2 offic
Paula Kalin
Jun 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Scandi-Nordic crime fans
Recommended to Paula by: NetGalley
What a wonderfully well done follow-up to Snowblind in this dark thriller series!

Blackout again brings the oppressive and menacing atmosphere to this small fishing village in Northern Iceland. A volcano erupts and covers the town with suffocating ash instead of the sun-filled summer the inhabitants are use to. The feeling of isolation is there with you throughout the book.

Ari Thór Arason returns as the most recent addition to the small police force on the hunt again for a murderer. A nice twist
Beata
Aug 13, 2018 rated it liked it
I am grateful to Netgalley for the ARC in exchange for the honest review.
An interesting read with Icelandic volcanos in the background whose ash is all around covering some secrets and traumatic experience from childhood which have their tragic consequence in adult life. The descriptions of the locations add a lot to the ambience of the novel.
Sue
Aug 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
While I have enjoyed all I have read of the Dark Iceland series, Snowblind and Nightblind, Blackout is now my favorite. The combination of a complex, multilayered plot with a wide cast of new characters, all of whom seem to be hiding or outrunning something in the past that won’t stay behind them worked well for me and kept me glued to the book the last two days. Even Tomas and Ari Thor, the well known local police, have other things on their minds along with their duties. Is all of this because ...more
Monica
Jul 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: give-aways, netgalley
There was a lot of potential in this story but it was so confusing I never totally connected with it. Perhaps if I had read the previous in the series, this one would have made more sense. The mystery/police drama did have a nice plot twist that I found completely surprising.

Thanks to NetGalley for the free copy in exchange for my honest review.
Sandy

It’s the summer of 2010 & Iceland is just getting back to normal after the eruption of Eyjafjallajökull that spring. In Siglufjödur, Ari Thor Arason is settling into life as a small town cop. Two years ago, he was living in Reyljavik with girlfriend Kristin when he qualified as a police officer. But jobs were scarce so when an offer came from up north, he jumped.

Crime in the area is usually of the petty variety so Ari is more than a little surprised when he’s told a tourist has stumbled ove
Erin
Aug 01, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle, netgalley
Thanks to Netgalley for an e-ARC in exchange for an honest review. Publication Date: August 28th, 2018

A discovered body, a determined journalist, a love stricken cop, and a human trafficking scandal all set in Iceland. This was a fairly straightforward plot with many characters in the spotlight, but I never really felt immersed in the story or particularly shocked by any of the stories twists. It's akin to watching a season finale and having no idea what the characters have gone through to ge
Christine
Oct 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: best-crime-2016
Oh yes Ari Thor is back in Nightblind. I could not be more thrilled!

This is the third in the Dark Iceland series published by Orenda Books. Chronologically, it takes place after Snowblind and before Nightblind. Blackout takes us back to small town Iceland, where murder shocks the claustrophobic small community and Ari Thor is on hand to investigate. The time frame is 2010, when the ash clouds were looming over Europe. I remember that well.

This is a tale of a police investigation into a violent m
Kathleen
Nov 15, 2018 rated it liked it
Icelandic noir author Jonasson delivers another police procedural featuring Ari Thor Arason. The skies of Reykjavik are still filled with ash following the 2010 spring eruption of Eyjafjallojokull, “the sky was unusually dark, the sun hidden behind the thick mineral haze, even though there wasn’t a cloud in the sky.” The skies are clearer in Siglufjordur, but the menace is greater. A murdered body has been found in nearby Skagafjordur. And then Ari Thor finds a duffle bag full of money in the vi ...more
Jill Mackin
Sep 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Dark Iceland series, book #3. I've really enjoyed the previous Dark Iceland books. Great nordic noir! Ari Thor is an interesting character. Love the Icelandic atmosphere conveyed throughout the story.
Laura Rash
Mar 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
I'm confused as to the reading order of this series bc this book continues right after Snowblind but you're supposed to read it after Nightblind. But Nightblind recaps what happened in Blackout. So I'm a little let down bc one huge aspect of this story was known to me from the beginning. Other than that I enjoy these books.
Skip
A dead body is discovered by an American tourist, badly beaten and barely recognizable. The body is identified as Elías Freysson, a subcontractor working on a local tunnel project, who is renovating a house in the country, and is also involved with a charitable organization. The local police station consisting of three officers investigates, but each has their battles: Ari Thór continues to lament his break up with the love of his life, Kristín; Tómas abandoned by his wife’s decision to go to co ...more
Tazkatie
Jan 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Brilliant... Love love love this series
Paul
Jul 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-thrillers
Black Out – A Bright Light in the Dark

Ragnar Jónasson is back with the third in his Black Iceland series with Black Out, which is truly a masterpiece of Icelandic Noir, which is distinctive from its Nordic cousin. Once again with a nod to the golden age of the detective fiction, Jónasson has written a really distinctive and evocative and thoroughly modern crime novel. Even if it seems like it is an old fashioned whodunit there are more twists and turns to keep you guessing.

Black Out is set durin
Heidi
Jul 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
I love the bleakness and stark setting of Nordic noir and have become a great fan of the Dark Iceland series for exactly those reasons, as well as a fondness for detective Ari Thor Arason, who finds himself marooned in the small fishing village of Siglufjörður in the remote North of the country for his first police placement.

Whilst the first book in the series saw the village engulfed in winter and virtually cut off from its surroundings, we now get to see it in summer, and the 24-hour daylight
Jeanette
For me this was a 2.5 star read. I only rounded it up for the placement feel for those long light days in various Icelandic locations because the locale feel is exact and intense throughout the book. But in other ways, I felt in my reading- an inherent unevenness.

It was mainly in the plot but also within the way the characters were introduced. So many and in constant switching to context for their "placement" within any set of issues, the crime of homicide, or the off and on again "love and rel
Jen
Sep 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
June 2010. Reykjavik is still recovering from the eruption of Eyjafjallajokull the previous month, the atmosphere somewhat tainted. Reporter Ísrún fears that this will be just another routine day for her, knowing that her boss, Ívar, will assign her yet another mundane report, anything to prevent her from challenging him for promotion. And yet when she hears of a dead body found in the north of the island, in the town of Skagafjörður, Ísrún is determined to be the one to look into it. Leaving Re ...more
Kate~Bibliophile Book Club
Jun 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Couldn't love Ragnar's books any more if I tried. Let's be honest, I'm an unapologetic fangirl for the Dark Iceland series and Blackout is no different.

Set after Snowblind, but before Nightblind, the events of Blackout are different to anything so far.
An old fashioned whodunnit, and a lot of whydunnit makes it a very interesting read.

There is murder, intrigue, and more than a little suspense as the story unfolds piece by piece and page by page. There are many characters to follow throughout Bla
Abby (Crime by the Book)
Dec 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This might be Ragnar's best book yet. BLACKOUT has all the atmosphere and tension of his previous Dark Iceland books, but this story's central crime was the most compelling to me!! This story follows not only Ari Thor, but also a young female journalist who's investigating the same crime as Ari Thor. The two characters approach the same story from very different angles, giving the reader a circumspect view of a crime that's so much larger than either individual could imagine.

This book is just f
Lynn
Jan 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A man is found beaten to death on the shore in Iceland. The plot has Ari Thor, a policeman, and a young reporter working on solving the murder. They are not aware of each other. The book was as much about the young reporter as Ari Thor who is the young policeman in the Iceland series.

This is a very atmospheric series. It moves along like a peeling of an onion-layer by layer where the reader learns a little more about the characters as the book progresses. There are surprises along the way. I fel
Marcus Hobson
Dec 29, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: scandi-noir
This was my first novel by Ragnar Jonasson and it certainly won't be my last. This was a brilliantly paced thriller set in Iceland and it deserves all the praise already heaped on it.

All the elements for classic Nordic Noir are here. A harsh climate, this time driven by the volcanic eruption that effected the whole world's air traffic, stunning scenery and a murder. Police investigation, journalists and plenty of different agendas among the cast of characters. The only real villain was the dead
K.
So this is the third book in this series to be published in English. But I read it second. Why? Because the first book to be published in English was the second in Icelandic. The second to be published in English was the SIXTH in Icelandic. And this one was the third in both series. So to me, it made perfect sense to read this one before reading Nightblind. But to each their own.

I enjoyed this one far more than Snowblind. I'm not sure if it's because I knew what to expect from the writing style
Rachel Hall
Jul 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
June 2010: The last few years haven't been kind to the residents of Iceland and the economic malaise has been compounded by two sequential volcanic eruptions, the ash residue of which is spreading across the country. The poisonous atmosphere might not yet have reached the northernmost fishing village of Siglufjörður, but the atmosphere is no less ominous in the tiny police station that serves the area. As the arrival of summer dawns with the blinding sunshine that makes a mockery of the clock, t ...more
BookwormDH
Jul 07, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
On the shores of a tranquil fjord in Northern Iceland, a man is brutally beaten to death on a bright summer's night. As the 24-hour light of the arctic summer is transformed into darkness by an ash cloud from a recent volcanic eruption, a young reporter leaves Reykjavik to investigate on her own, unaware that an innocent person's life hangs in the balance. Ari Thor Arason and his colleagues on the tiny police force in Siglufjordur struggle with an increasingly perplexing case, while their own se ...more
Marina Sofia
Jul 06, 2016 rated it liked it
It's summer this time in Iceland, but the atmosphere is still oppressive, as volcano ash has been covering the skies. Ari Thor is settling into his job in the north of Iceland, but still regrets breaking up with his girlfriend. He is not quite at the forefront in this investigation, which seems to be a collaborative effort between different police forces and a journalist determined to make her mark. We are introduce to a variety of people and voices, get to see a diversity of point of views. Per ...more
Lynn
Oct 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Calling this series 'Dark Iceland' is no coincidence, these are dark and moody novels. I liked this one more than the second book published in the US (#5 in Iceland). I'm guessing the publisher chose to skip forward to a later book that presents Ari Thor as a more sympathetic character. He's kind of a gruff jerk in this one, but who cares, the story is great.
Emma
Sep 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Blackout is the third book in the Dark Iceland series written by Ragnar Jónasson and translated by fellow crime writer, Quentin Bates. I have to confess, despite reading rave reviews of the first two books, I haven’t had a chance to read them yet. So this stunning book was my first introduction to Ari Thór Arason and the writing of Ragnar Jónasson.

A body is discovered by an American tourist, it’s badly beaten and barely recognisable. Ari Thór Arason and colleagues are drafted in as part of the i
Jul 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
Ari Thor Arason is back!

What I absolutely love about this authors books is the memorising setting, it is actually quite breath taking. This time it's the height of summer but it's not like any summer that most of us are used to. The small town is shrouded underneath an ash cloud. This seems to make the story that little bit more eerie and adds to the mystery of it all.

The story itself jumps around quite a bit from past to present and to different characters. With quite short chapters, especially
Dimitris Passas
Before I write anything about the novel, I would like to express my gratitude to Netgalley and the publisher for providing a free ARC of Ragnar Jonasson's ''Blackout''. This is the second installment in the exceptional ''Dark Iceland'' crime/thriller series and the third book of the author that I've read till now, the other two being ''Snowblind'' (#1) and ''Rupture'' (#3). In my humble opinion is a weaker novel than the other two that I've already devoured, as it lacks a strong central plotline ...more
Ragnar Jonasson is author of the award winning and international bestselling Dark Iceland series.

His debut Snowblind, first in the Dark Iceland series, went to number one in the Amazon Kindle charts shortly after publication. The book was also a no. 1 Amazon Kindle bestseller in Australia. Snowblind has been a paperback bestseller in France.

Nightblind won the Dead Good Reader Award 2016 for Most

Dark Iceland (5 books)
  • Snowblind (Dark Iceland #1)
  • Nightblind (Dark Iceland #2)
  • Rupture (Dark Iceland #4)
  • Andköf (Siglufjörður #5)
“While he desperately wanted to hear her voice, even arrange to meet her, he dreaded the awkward moment when she would pick up the phone. The” 0 likes
“That damned volcano” 0 likes