Start by marking “Into the Mist (Taine McKenna Adventures #1)” as Want to Read:
Into the Mist (Taine McKenna Adventures #1)

Into the Mist

(Taine McKenna Adventures #1)

When NZDF Sergeant Taine McKenna and his squad are tasked with escorting a bunch of civilian contractors into Te Urewera National Park, it seems a strange job for the army.
Militant Tūhoe separatists are active in the area, and with its cloying mist and steep ravines, the forest is a treacherous place in winter.
Yet nothing has prepared Taine for the true danger that await
Published April 13th 2016 by Cohesion Press

To ask other readers questions about Into the Mist, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Into the Mist

Start your review of Into the Mist (Taine McKenna Adventures #1)
Empress Reece (Hooked on Books)
I've had the pleasure of reading a lot of good creature features lately. This is another one to add to that list. It had plenty of action, a nice range of characters from a-holes to heroes, a big gigantic predator and the added touch of a little Native American mythology.

It was so good I'm about to start reading book two right now. I'm hoping Sergeant McKenna and Dr. Jules Asher are back. I really liked those two and can't wait to see what trouble they get into next.
Frank Errington
May 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Review copy

Into the Mist by Lee Murray gets off to a strong start. From the fist chapter...

"Terry shook violently, his body already grasping what his mind hadn't yet understood. Bringing his fingers to his face Terry sniffed at the wetness there. Metallic. It wasn't dew. Terry jerked his hands away in horror. Cam's upper body was missing."

The story takes place in Te Urewera an area of mostly forested, sparsely populated rugged hill country in the North Island of New Zealand. A place of many lege
Sci-Fi & Scary
Aug 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lee Murray’s Into the Mist was the creature feature I’d been needing. I love me some good old-fashioned chomp’n’stomp, and this definitely fit the bill. Unlike a few of my recent monster reads, this one was brimming with atmosphere, felt completely real to the area it was staged in, and kept me thoroughly entertained. I learned some new words that I have a feeling I won’t be forgetting anytime soon. I got to witness a very satisfying death of the resident This Book’s Douchebag. (Though there wa ...more
Jan Goldie
Dec 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Fast paced action horror thriller based in the wild New Zealand bush. Addictive reading and thoroughly recommend!
chucklesthescot
What attracted me to this book was firstly the cover and secondly the idea of there being a scary dinosaur in the forests of New Zealand, a location we rarely see in horror reads. I was really excited to read this one.

A high number of missing people have been reported in the national park and a military team that was sent in to find out what happened has also disappeared. Major Arnold decides to put a second team led by Taine McKenna into the park to find out what happened to the other team and
Yvonne Davies
I think the majority of people have heard of Godzilla and King Kong. Larger than life creatures that had remained undiscovered until an expedition group came across them.
Into the Mist is set in Te Urewera National Park, New Zealand. Gold has been found on ancient ground and the army has been tasked with the protection of the contractors. As the investigations continue, the group are in danger not just from Militant Tuhoe separatists, but something larger than life. Putting the group in danger w
Jan 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
INTO THE MIST is one of those fast paced adventures that, once the action hits, never lets up. This tale isn't too complicated, a giant creature has awakened in remote New Zealand forest and a scientific expedition is in trouble. Or is it that simple? Believe me this book delivers all the gruesome thrills you expect from a giant reptile story but the roots go a bit deeper.

My favorite aspect is the way in which traditional legend and folktales are woven into the fabric of this modern adventure.
Jason Parent
Oct 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This action horror starts a bit slow as it sets up a host of characters, but once the creature attacks, it’s survival horror at its finest! Author Lee Murray takes you through a terrifying trek through New Zealand jungle, a team of soldiers and civilians with multiple motives slimmed down to one driving force in the end: stay alive.

This is my first go at the author’s novels, and I’ll happily be reading more. I also learned a lot about a creature I wasn’t previously familiar with, actually doing
Nicholas Diak
Jun 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lee Murray’s Into the Mist, published in 2016 by Cohesion Press, is a novel that is a mix of the “men on a mission genre” with the “animals run amok” genre with a small peppering of fantasy in the form of Maori mysticism and spiritualism. The story concerns Sergeant Taine McKenna and his men of the New Zealand Defense Force as they accompany a team of scientists into the Te Urewera Forest to validate a gold discovery and assess its impact on the regional flora and fauna if exploited. Separatists ...more
Darren
Nov 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I got this as a e book from tbc review facebook page that I am a member of. I enjoyed reading it. It had a good story to it. I liked the variety of characters in it. It is my first book by this author. My review of the next book in this series is next.
Matthew
Apr 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
As a reviewer one of the greatest pleasures I have in life is when I discover the work of someone new that blows me away. So when I first read the blurb and pre-order information for Into the Mist I was excited. Another military thriller/horror from the amazing Cohesion Press... by the relatively unknown (at least to me) Lee Murray... shut up and take my money!

Six weeks later the book dropped, and now I'm sitting here writing this review after reading it in one marathon sitting.

Into the Mist c
Heide Goody
Aug 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Rich with evocative detail from New Zealand’s landscape and heritage, we see a backdrop of existing tensions and competing personalities. When they are all piled together into a field team to plunge deep into the wilderness, we can expect some fun.
The characters that we follow most closely are Taine McKenna and Jules. Taine is an action hero that I can’t wait to read more of, and Jules is a troubled scientist who must call on her inner strength when the group are in deep trouble. There are some
Jill Mccaw
Jul 16, 2016 rated it it was ok
A great concept but not quite pulled off

I love the idea of this book but unfortunately the author just doesn't quite have the skills to pull it off.
There are far too many POV characters which just makes the story confusing. Especially since many of them then get killed. Most characters are very cardboard cut out, to the extent of being completely unbelievable.
The premise and subplot that takes this group into the forest just seems lame and wasn't needed. A group of city folks on a work bonding
Debbie
May 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I haven’t read much in the way of military horror/thriller but I really enjoyed this compelling novel about military crew accompanying a team of scientists into the Urewera ranges. The characterisation is really strong, you can’t help caring about them and I enjoyed how intelligent and competent the team was. I like horror where the danger arises from some inescapable terror rather than characters making reckless decisions, and Into the Mist really nails this with a vicious, terrifying threat.

Le
Matt Morris
Jun 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Classic, traditional and brilliant. Almost read it in one sitting. I loved it. The New Zealand setting added so much to a classic monster vs military. With a story like this I expected a straight forward plot but there were so many questions waiting to be resolved I had to keep reading. So many of the minor characters were so real I was urging them on. In a story like this you hope the characters will get the ending they deserve, for better or worse. I was very pleased with final scenes.

The less
Alan Baxter
Jun 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: thriller, horror
This is a creature feature - straight up, you have to go in knowing that. It follows a certain formula there. And it's a little slow to get going. But then it kills. The New Zealand voice is refreshing and fantastic. The Maori lore and mythology woven in makes this unique. Murray does a great job mixing action with mythology and the whole thing takes on a powerful new angle. Get away from the US-focussed novels so common to this genre and treat yourself to a thrilling and fascinating new take. ...more
Greg Chapman
May 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
A solid action romp in the vein of military sci fi tales like Aliens and Predator. Set in the forests of New Zealand, a government funded task force encounters a very dangerous creature linked to local mythology. The blend of Maori mythology kept this story fresh and interesting for me, and made this tale unique. Recommended.
Bob
May 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I became hooked on this novel after hearing Lee Murray's reading of the first chapter at StokerCon in Las Vegas about three weeks ago. it's a well crafted story of a group of soldiers assigned to a geological expedition into the wilds of New Zealand where they encounter a cunning beast more dangerous than they could ever imagine. This would make an interesting movie. Highly recommended! ...more
Dave Versace
Jul 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Rollicking good soldiers-versus-monster thriller set in the New Zealand mountainous wilderness.
John Lynch
Aug 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars rounded to 5
A few years ago I had read a military fantasy series by Myke Cole called Shadow Ops. More recently I’ve been wondering why can’t I find a good military/horror crossover. That’s not to say there isn’t anything of the sort, I just hadn’t found it yet. I came across Into the Mist, by Lee Murray and I’m pleased to say that if this book is indicative of rest of the series, I’ve found what I’m looking for.

Sergeant Taine Mckenna, a member of the New Zealand Defence Force and his s
F.D. Gross
Dec 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: tbc-reviews
Into the Mist, by Lee Murray, was a fresh take on the Jurassic Park sub-genre.

Although not related to the mega story classic about dinosaurs, there were similar and dissimilar qualities one can appreciate if you are a fan of such tales and epic adventure. Having taken place entirely in another part of the world, New Zealand to be exact, two of the most unlikely groups (a geological survey team and a squad of defense force soldiers) join together to experience something truly extraordinary. And n
Sue Wallace
Jan 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Into the mist by Lee.
Yet nothing has prepared Taine for the true danger that awaits them. Death incarnate.
They backtrack toward civilisation, stalked by a prehistoric creature intent on
Monica Mac
Dec 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
To my eternal shame, this book had been sitting on my bookshelf, waiting to be read, for well over a year. I discovered this author via one of my favourite authors, Greig Beck, and I have to say that this novel did not disappoint in any way! It is just as thrilling, tense and well-written as any of his books, which makes Lee Murray one of my favourites now as well :)

Taine McKenna is tasked with accompanying a group of scientists into a forest, a forest which has already swallowed up a number of
Pamela
Jan 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I recieved this book from a facebook group I am a member of and decided to give it a whirl for a different genre. It certainly didnt disappoint. I enjoyed the book and the variety of characters, and am heading into the next one.
Florian Jonas
Jul 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I give this book 5 stars, not because it was exceptionally written or a groundbreaking story. It just fulfilled my expectations: science team, army team, monster in a forest. It was full of action in a fast pace and did exactly what it should: entertain. I also enjoyed the NZ setting 👍
Julie E. (Bookshelf Adventures)
An interesting creature feature with a somewhat predictable story line and ending.

Full review on my blog to come.
Bookrapt
Dec 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
WARNING: CONTAINS COARSE LANGUAGE. Here’s another quip for the Tui billboards: “I’ll just read one chapter of this new Lee Murray book before bed” – “Yeah, right”. Into the Mist is not the usual book we feature on Bookrapt, as there is quite a bit of swearing. But … none of it is gratuitous, it would sound silly without as it’s how those particular characters would speak in real life, and it’s a great read to attract boys.

As with all of Lee’s previous books, “Into the Mist” is another can’t-put-
The Grim Reader
Apr 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
INTO THE MIST by Lee Murray is the sort of fast-paced slice of military action horror that we have come to expect from COHESION PRESS. Editor Geoff Brown is a huge fan of this sub-genre, and, as the SNAFU series of anthologies have shown us, he is more than capable of sniffing out a great story that has lots of guns and monsters!
INTO THE MIST takes the unusual, though welcome step of situating itself in Murray’s home country of New Zealand, where a team of soldiers are tasked with escorting a sm
J.L.
Nov 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: november-2018
Disclaimer: I consider the author a friend; however, I purchased an electronic copy of this novel for full price.

For those of you who are averse to the horror genre, I'm happy to report that this novel is instead a thrilling action-adventure. There are some gory bits, but it's not gratuitous, and the moments that literally made me jump while I read were shocking in the way that marks excellent writing. This was a blast to read, even for a wuss like me.

There are so many characters that it was har
Richard Parry
Jul 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
What we've got here is a good boy-meets-girl-then-monsters story. The take on "the monster" is brilliant, I loved it, and the way that the humans ... interact with said monster is superb. The thing that takes this story a cut above the average then-monsters tale is where Murray manages to weave in the competing motivations of her human actors. It's not as cut and dried as an evil scientist vs. a good scientist (although we've got those); there is natural human conflict at all levels (for example ...more
« previous 1 3 next »

• Demon Flyer
  • The Blood of the Bigfoot
  • The Lost City of Terror
  • Jurassic Ark
  • Operation: North Sea (S-Squad #10)
  • Megalodon vs Colossal Snake
  • Extinction Plague (Matt Kearns #4)
  • The Land Below (The Land Below #1)
  • The Lost Sea
  • Cryptid
  • Infestation (S-Squad #1)
See top shelves…

Taine McKenna Adventures (4 books)
  • Into the Darkness (Taine McKenna Adventures #1.5)
  • Into The Sounds (Taine McKenna Adventures #2)
  • Into the Ashes (A Taine McKenna Adventure #3)

News & Interviews