Start by marking “Solitaire (Clara Vine, #5)” as Want to Read:
Solitaire (Clara Vine, #5)

Solitaire

(Clara Vine #5)

June 1940: Nightly blackouts suffocate Berlin. Then France falls and a shadow descends across Western Europe now under German occupation.

A shadow has fallen over Clara Vine’s own life, too. She is an Anglo-German woman in a country that hates Britain. Virulent anti-British propaganda is everywhere.

Then she is summoned to meet the Propaganda Minister Joseph Goebbels who has
Published November 17th 2017 by Simon & Schuster UK (first published November 17th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Solitaire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Solitaire

Whispering Stories
Dec 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Book Reviewed by Stacey on www.whisperingstories.com

Although this book is the fifth book in the Clara Vine series, it was the first book that I had read. Now, judging by the fact that I didn’t even realise that it was book five, that should let you know that it works perfectly well as a standalone.

The book opens with the prologue – Lisbon 1940 and Clara being arrested. We then jump back in time to chapter one and Berlin, 1940. Clara is living in Germany and working as an actress. As World War II
Abby Slater- Fairbrother
Dec 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
June 1940, the first summer of war!
Clara Vine finds herself caught up in with more treachery, lies and spies……..

The prologue opens in July 1940 in Lisbon, Portugal. The author has done a fantastic job of setting the scene. Refugees are fleeing the Germans, and we become aware one lone woman is watching in the shadows. She is quickly cornered by the police and ushered into a waiting police car, disappearing into the dead of the night!

Meanwhile in Berlin, Clara is navigating her way around a dark
Eva
Dec 04, 2017 rated it liked it
Solitaire is the fifth book in the Clara Vine series. Not having read any of the previous ones, I was slightly worried I wouldn’t be able to follow but I feel the author has done a great job filling in the background for those who are new to the series and I didn’t feel lost at all. I did however have a hard time connecting to Clara and didn’t particularly like her very much, which made me wonder if that would have been different if I’d gotten to know her better beforehand.

For those unfamiliar w
Jacki (Julia Flyte)
Dec 16, 2016 rated it liked it
This is the fifth book in Jane Thynne's series about Clara Vine, an Anglo-German actress living in Nazi Berlin who spies for the British. Annoyingly, almost every book in the series has been published under different titles for the UK and US markets, so for the record they are:
1. Black Roses (UK and US)
2. The Winter Garden (UK) = Woman in the Shadows (US)
3. A War of Flowers (UK) = The Scent of Secrets (US)
4. Faith and Beauty (UK) = The Pursuit of Pearls (US)

Solitaire is set in the summer of 1940
Joanna Park
Dec 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: blog-tours
Absolutely fantastic historical fiction! Review to come hopefully as part of blog tour but depending on Internet and snow!
Nicki
I only discovered this wonderful series a couple of months ago, through another blogger, and it’s become a real favourite in that short space of time. I do like to read books set in this era and have found this series particularly fascinating. I loved all the wonderful descriptions of Berlin, the people and the places, and I felt as though I’d been transported back to 1930s Germany. I’ve learnt so much about the rise of the Nazi party and in particular the lives of the top men and their families ...more
Shirley Revill
I listened to the audiobook version of this book and I was very impressed to say the least.
The narration was absolutely superb and held my interest till the end.
Set in Nazi Germany the story is about Clara Vine half German, half British with Jewish ancestry who through the hand that fate dealt became a spy for Britain.
Very well written this book held my interest till the end and although book five in the series works really well as a standalone. Highly recommended. Really enjoyed.
Pearl
Aug 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Name is Vine, Clara Vine....
Solitaire: A Captivating Novel of intrigue and survival in wartime France was written by Jane Thynne and once again the author has created another wonderful read based on my favourite "spy". This is the fifth book in this series and once again we are brought into the life of Clara and as she lives by the Nazi law, obeying them in every way she makes it plain that her allegiance still remains with the British government though with each day the fear she lives with
Sandra
Apr 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Oh I couldn't put this book down, I was lucky enough to have a lot of time on public transport this week with this book and I have rarely been happier to have an excuse to keep reading. I knew the author would not disappoint and I was right. Two five star books in a row, I have been seriously spoilt on that front.

Clara's world is so vivid and she as a character feels so real. You can almost feel her tiredness when having to constantly deal with these people again and again. Not able to start a f
Ruth
June 1940: the first summer of the war. Berlin is being bombed and nightly blackouts suffocate the city. Then France falls and a shadow descends.
A shadow has fallen over Clara Vine’s own life, too. She is an Anglo-German woman in a country that hates England. Virulent anti-British propaganda is everywhere.
Then she is summoned to meet the Propaganda minister Joseph Goebbels who has decided that Clara should adopt a new role – as his spy — and that she must go to Paris on a mission.
I love this s
AntKathy
Jan 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Another wonderful installment in the Clara Vine series. The book is only available on kindle and in the UK at this time, but well worth the snail mail wait. Many storylines are beginning to overlap in this novel, and Clara encounters such famous English expats as the Duke and Duchess of Windsor and Ian Fleming. At the same time, new, threatening Germans are introduced, and Clara takes on life altering responsibilities while dodging the Nazi radar looking for suspected spies.
Tripfiction
Dec 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
WW2 - novel set mainly in Berlin. On this link the author also talks to us about her research and the city: https://www.tripfiction.com/novel-set...

This is the first book I have read by Jane, and it won’t be the last. The meticulous research and extremely polished writing skills combine to make this a very readable novel. Set at the heart of the Nazi elite, actress Clara Vine has infiltrated the high echelons of German command. She is part German, part British and as a spy for the British over t
Donna Maguire

This is the fifth book in the series but the first that I have read and I think it is fine to read as a stand alone as the author makes sure you catch up on everything needed to fully enjoy the book.

I really enjoyed the story and I am in the middle of a phase reading historical fiction set in World War II so this fell in nicely for me with my other reads.  Whilst this is the first book that I have read by this author and it certainly won't be the last, I
Peg Albrets
Dec 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
great story, looking forward to her next one
Evelyn
Oct 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Picked this up at the airport, based my purchase on the book blurb. Turns out it's #5 of what's so far a series of 5 books about Clara Vine, a half-British, half-German actress living in Berlin during WWII who's secretly spying for the Allies. It's fun and she's an interesting enough character.

Though the writing isn't brilliant, what made this book so interesting (and this seems to be true for the rest of the series, though I still haven't read all the books) is that Vine, because of her public
Nissa
I loved this book-Wonderful story. True to history. The further I got into the book, the faster I was flipping the pages and the less patient I was to know what was going to happen next with the various characters. Definitely a nail-biter.
Helen Eddon
Jan 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Jane Thynne skilfully interweaves historical facts with fiction to tell great stories and Solitaire is no exception. It is now 1940, Germany is at war with Britain and France is under occupation. Clara Vine is experiencing food shortages, blackouts and the possibility of air raids in Berlin. However, she is still working at the Ufa film studios, is still mixing with the Nazi elite and it appears that Goebbels still trusts her. In this novel, Clara encounters Walter Schellenberg of the SD, Ian Fl ...more
Theresa
Jun 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
In Clara Vine's 5th outing, Germany invaded France a month ago. Although Clara had laid low for the past few months, Goebbels sends her on unwanted errands to France and Portugal that summer. She isn't sure if her connections to the British spy network have been found out or if Goebbels is testing her loyalty to Germany. As Clara struggles to keep both herself and her godson, Erich, safe, she also wonders whose web she's been caught in. All the Clare Vine novels present a fascinating look at Naz ...more
Pnina
Aug 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
It is the 5th book in the series and and I think that it improves with every book. I enjoy and appreciate the vivid description of Berlin (and in Paris, and in Lisbon) in the years before the war and in this book after the war started. Jane Thyne highlights aspects of everyday life, that I was not familiar with and are very interesting and vivid.
Not always the story line and Clara's life and adventures seem plausible to me, giving the circumstances, - but it is engaging and make for a fluent sto
Alyson
Jun 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
A spy/thriller set during the second world war as Clara Vine, half German and half English is working in Berlin as an actress. She is trapped in a web of German intrigue between different members of the hierarchy and hopes at each point that she may be able to escape to Britain.
I hadn't realised when I started this it was part of a series. It reads as a stand alone novel although there are many references to events prior to this book. It was a gripping read with a huge amount of historical deta
Cordelia Feldman
Feb 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
June 1940 and now Clara Vine is invited to spy for the Germans, by no less a figure than Goebbels himself. Of course she's already a British spy. And an actress. She has a lot to pack in to her days. She meets the Duke and Duchess of Windsor and becomes ever further embroiled in the business of the Third Reich. She is sent to Lisbon on a mission.

Don't want to spoil this for you, but urge you to read all Jane Thynne's Clara Vine novels. Starting with "Black Roses".
The writing is brilliant and the
Harriet
Jun 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Naomi
Sep 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Clara Vine is still living in Berlin in 1940. She continues to work as the actress she is in the German film industry. But she also is continuing her role as a spy for British Intelligence. Her lover, Leo Quinn and another man, a German soldier have been reported killed in an auto accident. This news is devastating to Clara. But Propaganda Minister Joseph Goebbels has decided to send her to Paris to be a spy for the Nazis and she realizes that this could be her chance to get out of Germany and b ...more
Bowerbird
Mar 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
I have read the previous 4 Clara Vine books and found this one just as interesting. Jane Thynne gives us background to the Nazi Germany already highlighted through many famous books and films covering that period. Her research draws in some excellent detail through her fictional character, Clara. This book, set in 1940, has an underlying story of a disabled and orphaned young teenager, Katerina, desperately looking for her sister before the Nazi regime dispatch her on to unknown horrors.
Meanwhil
Karin Jenkins
Jul 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've worked my way through this series while on holiday and decided just to put one review on the last ( so far?). These spy stories about an Anglogerman actress who has managed to get to know some of the high ranking wives in order to pass any interesting gossip to British intelligence in the run up to and beginning of WW2 gave an interesting insight into what life was like in Berlin and especially for women and also some of the internal feuding among the Nazi elite. I've read lots of books set ...more
Brenda Hawley
Jan 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is the fifth book in the series from Jane Thynne dealing with Berlin in the 1930s under the Nazi regime. Clara Vine is an English/German actress who goes to Berlin in the early 1930s in order to get acting roles after being rejected in England. As the Nazi's grip hardens and she sees the horrors in store, she becomes involved in espionage for England using her actress persona to gain entry into the hierarchy of Nazi wives. Suspense, action and romance run through the novels that are hard to ...more
Crt
May 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another superb Clara Vine novel. I wish my dad was still alive as i think he would have liked Clara and also Bernie Gunther. He spent most of the war on the run from the Gestapo and these Clara Vine novels really give me an insight to the extent which the Nazis micro managed people’s lives and the subtle and not so subtle indoctrination of an entire population.

Well done Jane Thynne looking forward to the next one
Jane Mccrimmon
Mar 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another intense and nerve wracking adventure involving Clara Vine. This was the fastest read yet as the tension in Berlin was great. What would happen to Katerina, her sister Sonja, who is the woman in Lisbon, Clara and the evil Walter Schellenburg. Even though this is a book of fiction the pure evil of the Nazi high command comes through. At times it leaves the reader scared. Is Leo really gone? What will happen to everyone in 1941? When will book 6 come out? Can't wait.
May
Feb 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Stacey’s review says it best!! This series is really well done!! Already looking for the next one!!
Jane Smith
Feb 15, 2017 rated it it was ok
Unrealistic from start to finish. Just name dropping.
Jane Thynne was born in Venezuela and educated in London. She graduated from Oxford University with a degree in English and joined the BBC as a journalist. She has also worked at The Sunday Times, The Daily Telegraph and The Independent, as well as for numerous British magazines. She appears as a broadcaster on Radio 4 and Sky TV. Jane has three children and lives in London.

Clara Vine (5 books)
  • Black Roses (Clara Vine, #1)
  • Woman in the Shadows (Clara Vine, #2)
  • The Scent of Secrets (Clara Vine, #3)
  • The Pursuit of Pearls (Clara Vine, #4)