Start by marking “Emancipated Heart” as Want to Read:
Emancipated Heart

Emancipated Heart

It’s 1945 in Grand Peak, Wyoming. After three years in a desolate internment camp, Hana Kato’s family receives the news they’ve longed for: all internees will soon be released! But the promise of freedom doesn’t come soon enough for Hana’s beloved father, who is taken to prison. Now Hana struggles to keep the family together, and must sort through feelings for two men—one ...more
Published March 31st 2016 by Cherry Blossom Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Emancipated Heart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Emancipated Heart

Start your review of Emancipated Heart
Olivia
May 01, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
This is a hard one to review! Three stars seems too nice, but 2.5 seems a little stingy. So that is why I write reviews!! :) The setting in the Japanese internment camp was pretty neat. It was unlike most WW2 fiction I read, so that was nice for a change. Having both Japanese and a Caucasian doctor's POV was neat because you got to see both sides of the issue.

Spiritual content:
Not heavy at all. Most of the spiritual content comes from the mother who's faith Hana is always reminded of. Throughout
Mary K Kohl
Mar 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Could not put this book down!

This is a beautifully written book. I have never given much thought to our Japanese American Citizens. How sad that they were treated so badly. My father fought in WW11. I guess what we mostly heard about were the Nazis killing the Jewish people. What a sad time in our History. One can only hope it never happens again. Once again shows me that God must be my center!
Bernard Holler
Dec 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hatred and love from the same heart.

As a young child growing up in central U.S. during WW2 I was never aware of the treatment of the Japanese American people until during college I met a granddaughter of a family who lost everything and was put in a camp during WW2. I was very interested in the story content as well as the love story that developed.
Mary
Jan 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
Jan Cline has written a good story about a Japanese-American family interned in a camp during WWII. There is mystery, romance, medical personnel, death, and corruption in this story. There is also a story of kindness and Christian love.
Marlene  Moore
Dec 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This story grabbed me at the start. This is a piece of history that isn't discussed often. I was saddened by the treatment of the Japanese American's during WWII. This story really told how many Americans felt about the Japanese American's. This wasn't all about the struggles in the internment camps, there's a love story as well. Very good book. There are some twists and turns that kept me reading late into the night.
Kathy Rae
Apr 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This story is packed with characters who reflect overcoming obstacles in the Japanese/American internment. A very gratifying read. Jan kept me guessing all the way through which man the main character, Hana, would choose. Her conflicts were real and I could relate to many struggles. I found myself encouraged as I watched the positive development of each player. Excellent book and very educational about a time I knew little about.
Joyce
I read this as a Kindle book and highly recommend it. The plot revolves around the internment of Japanese Americans during WWII. Although I have read a few other novels that focused on this period of American history, this one was told from the point of view of a Japanese American person during the internment. The setting is Wyoming and involves a Japanese American family of a father, mother and their 3 children, one of whom is a young woman trained as a professional nurse. Hana is pursued by 2 ...more
Gloria Latham
Aug 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very good historical novel

This is the first book I've read dealing with this sad part of our history. Jan Clone is very good at making the characters and their relationships with God seem very real.
Anne Campbell
Aug 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This author chose a difficult topic to write about--Japanese interment during World War II--not one of the US's proudest achievements. When President Roosevelt signed Executive Order 9066, the military moved thousands of Japanese--the majority of whom were US Citizens--into primitive, unsanitary, and prison-like conditions behind high barbed-wire fence. They were given 48 hours to pack a small suitcase and move. This is the fictional story of one such family, the Katos--Papa-san, Mama-san, Hana ...more
Debbie Lockledge
Nov 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was an excellent book about an often overlooked part of WWII history that happened on our soil and was sanctioned by our government. It is frighteningly relevant in many ways to today's political climate & the difficult issues we face regarding national security. Very well written; I highly recommend it to anyone.
Diane Aldinger-samson
Dec 18, 2018
Sue Kelly-Kohlman
May 24, 2019
Christian Books: Free today and tomorrow 3 18 May 05, 2016 10:03AM
Christian Histori...: Free today and tomorrow on Kindle 1 24 May 01, 2016 06:43AM

• A Distant Melody  (Wings of Glory, #1)
  • No One's Bride (Escape to the West #1)
  • Beneath the Blackberry Moon: The Red Feather (Creek Country Saga #1)
  • Secrets (The Michelli Family Series #1)
  • Meant to Be (Sweetbriar Cove, #1)
  • Una's Crossroads
  • The Dream Bucket (Covington Chronicles #3)
  • My Father's World (The Journals of Corrie Belle Hollister, #1)
  • An Uncertain Choice (An Uncertain Choice, #1)
  • The Jesus Storybook Bible: Every Story Whispers His Name
  • A Daring Sacrifice (An Uncertain Choice, #2)
  • The Frog Prince (Faerie Tale Collection, #8)
  • Jerusalem Rising: Adah's Journey
  • Where Treetops Glisten: Three Stories of Heartwarming Courage and Christmas Romance During World War II
  • The Happiest Season
  • The Number of Love (The Codebreakers, #1)
  • Project Scrooge (Christmas in Garland Collection, #1)
  • Assuming Names: A Con Artist's Masquerade
I'm an author, freelance writer and speaker from Idaho. I recently retired from directing a writer's conference I founded, but continue to be involved in the writing and publishing world. I love to speak to women's groups, book clubs, writer's groups, and at writer's conferences.

My love for history and old stuff keeps me busy researching for my novels and feeds my hobby of giving new life to