Start by marking “Hell's Teeth (Phoebe Harkness, #1)” as Want to Read:
Hell's Teeth (Phoebe Harkness, #1)

Hell's Teeth

(Phoebe Harkness #1)

New Oxford.

A third of the human population has been lost.

The wars came, and they created a monster. The Pale, a subhuman, vampire-like drone. Then they lost control.

In the thirty years that followed, humankind sought to rebuild itself within the walls of New Oxford.

But society had become fractured – humans now lived incongruously among Genetic Others, themselves a group
Published March 30th 2016 by Venture Press

Dada Welsh
Dec 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was great. vampires, zombie(type things) and a good collection of interesting strong and non-cliché female leads blasting their way through a city stalked by a murderer. a few spelling/grammar issues in my copy, but nothing that took away from the enjoyment of the story
Sadie Hartmann Mother Horror
Apr 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is my first James Fahy read but it will not be my last! Fahy has an amazingly intimate way of telling a story-his narration style draws you in and makes you feel like you are *exactly* the person he wanted to write this book for.
So many times I found myself re-reading certain lines because they were either especially funny or unusually frightening and that's where I lived, emotionally, while reading this book--either in lighthearted comedy or fear and that's a delicate balance to strike!
The
Chevylace
Dec 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book reads like an epic TV show. every chapter feels like a 'tune in next week' cliffhanger, in a good way, and it felt like a mish-mash of all the best bits of Buffy and Underworld. Absolutely great fun. *flicks through Netflix looking for the adaptation*
Emma McClean
Nov 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fabulous read. a true murder-mystery full of vampires, a great dark and gothic setting, and some hilarious humour and one liners.
At times dark and gory, and filled with titbits of history and interest. I loved this and can easily see it being a Netflix series or movie. one of the funniest MC I've read in a while
Reesespeices
Jan 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book read like an action movie, with great fast pacing and barely a moment to rest between some excellent set pieces. From escaping vampire nightclubs by punching through a wall, battling the undead in gothic church basements, gunfights with mercs at a wealthy gala…poor Phoebe Harkness definitely gets her cardio quota in. all this action is balanced well with some good old fashioned sleuthing. * cue hacking into private secret government computers and snooping around your bosses abandoned h ...more
Nicola Rose
Oct 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
You guys! This book was SO good!! The opening chapter was brilliant - hooked me right in - and kept me that way right through.  I found it surprisingly refreshing to read a vampire story where romance wasn't the central theme. Phoebe Harkness is witty, strong and extremely likeable. Fast moving plot,  and fantastic world-building.  Very impressed, I'm excited to read more from this author.
Beverley Lee
Mar 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book is a very fresh take on the vampire/urban gothic myth. In a world ravaged by wars, the story is set within the walls of New Oxford, a place both recognisable and chillingly believable. A great deal of dystopia is very far fetched, but this scenario, and the uneasy truce between humans and the Genetic Others, seems a little bit too possible.

The author has created a very likeable, relatable character in Phoebe Harkness. She has the most delightful sense of humour and a steely determinati
R.K. Ryde
Sep 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
4.5 massive stars for this great read! Again, not my usual genre, but boy, was I sucked in! My housework suffered today as I was glued to the pages, heart pounding, head racing and wow! Reminded me of the Will Smith movie, I am Legend. Fabulous read Mr Fahy!
Lewis
Jan 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Phoebe Harkness is my new Hero. How awesome to have a leading female MC who isn’t a ‘plain girl with a plain face but a PROPHECY FILLED DESTINY’ and forever falling at the feet of every eight-pack-abbed vampire would-be-lover who stumbles across her path.
No, in Hell’s Teeth, what we get instead is Harkness, a funny, slightly awkward but unapologetically intelligent scientist, who is constantly surrounded by the usual shirtless supernatural lotharios who saturate this genre, but who to be honest,
Ellen Read
Apr 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Hell’s Teeth by James Fahy

A phone call wakes Phoebe Harkness at 3.00am.
‘At that godless hour, it’s only ever one of two things. Somebody’s dead, or somebody’s drunk.
Unfortunately for me it was the former.’

From this gripping opening, James Fahy’s fast-paced story held me every step of the way.

New Oxford. In a new world after war has ravaged the old, Dr Phoebe Harkness hurries to uncover a mystery of a terrible crime. In the process, she must go into dark areas of the city, and try to get out a
Wellington
Dec 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Modern day vampire shenanigans. all the ghouls and ghosties of the old world are dragged into the modern age in this slight/futuristic tale set in a post-apocalyptic tomorrow where humankind lives under a controlling fascist government within walled cities, (the countryside a no-mans land not due to the usual post-apocalypse radiation fallout, but by swarms of man eating genetic vampire degenerates. (think naked nosferatu, times a million)
in this claustrophobic setting, humans live in uneasy all
Melinda MacLean (mel_constantreader)
If you like post-apocalyptic or paranormal books this is definitely the book for you. From the first chapter James Fahy gets you going. Their are some vividly detailed gruesome parts in this book, but he balanced it out with Phoebe's personality. Not to mention she's funny as hell. Their were so many good one liners in this book that broke the tension that I am grateful for. And that ending, wow. It was the icing on the cake. One of the other 3629 reasons I liked this book was because it was wri ...more
Marjolein

Read all my reviews on http://urlphantomhive.booklikes.com

Dr. Harkness is thrown into a lot of mess in the dystopian world of New Oxford as her supervisor goes missing and the only thing that is left of her is, surprisingly, her teeth. Harkness turns out to be a great main character as she guides us through her world with a lot of wit, which made this book so nice to read.

The world is filled with Genetic Others, Vampires and the like, which has of course been done a lot recently in t
Becky Wright
Jan 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Ok, so I admit it - I'm a Helsing.
Hell's Teeth, a clever, quirky, post-apocalyptic story of Dr Pheobe Harkness. As a scientist following in her father's footsteps, she's now researching a cure for a race of killing Genetic Others, named the Pale. Created by man, turned on man, now man is up the proverbial creek with no paddle in sight. Unwittingly, Phoebe is dragged under into a world of Vampires to gather intel for a now growing series of murders - is she next on the list? With a very clever pl
Kevin Taylor
Nov 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I didn't think this would be my 'bag' at all, as a lot of Paranormal Fiction feature a 'bass-ass superhero female MC who is awesome until they meet some smouldering man and then they become all weak at the knees and kitten-like and it just makes me roll my eyes.
so I was very happy to see that Phoebe Harkeness doesn't fall in with that group. She's smart, clever, resourceful and extremely funny, and she don't need no man.
lots of great action and a very fast plot kept me turning pages on this one
MeganTheNinja
Mar 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I am an enormous fan of all things post apocalyptic, world has drastically changed for humans type stories. With that being said, this is one of the best dystopian type world books I've read. The story was one of a kind, the characters epic and it was truly entertaining from start to finish. Highly recommend!
Kushiels-Lover
Oct 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
wonderfully grizly, gory and sexy, with a lead who isnt a total airhead swooning at the vamps around her. I love Phoebe, and I loved this book
Leelo Mc
Jan 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Just hilarious good fun. Manages to be scary, entertaining, creepy, laugh-out-loud funny, tense and clever all at once. Would pay good money to see this expanded into a tru-blood style TV show. Give Griff and Lucy more airtime, and adorable Oscar needs his own show.
Pendragon Legend
Dec 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
In Hell's Teeth, Author James Fahy has created an intricate world filled with strongly drawn and relatable characters, and has them populate the very real city of Oxford, albeit in a near-future/slightly alternate world where the apocalypse has happened and what remains of England is now a militia state of walled town, surviving the zombie apocalypse and living cheek-by-jowl with all manner of 'monsters' once thought to be nothing but myth.
What works so well in this book is there is no info-dump
Sarina Langer
Aug 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Hell's Teeth was my first read by this author, and a recommendation via Instagram. I wasn't sure what to expect except vampires, since urban gothic isn't my usual genre, but I think it's earned itself more of my attention!

Hell's Teeth jumps straight into the story, and draws you in right away through it's action-filled plot, its lore of the world and - my favourite - the MC's sarcasm.

Phoebe Harkness is a scientist working on a cure for mankind's own fabricated nightmare. Without wanting to give
Nadia King
Aug 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Things I did not do while reading James Fahy's 'Hell's Teeth':
- I did not steal the book from a family member who was clearly reading it;
- I did not skip ahead to the end just to check what happened to Phoebe Harkness because I was stressing out in a tense moment of the book;
- I did not whip out 'Hell's Teeth' at the traffic lights to have a quick read despite being the driver of the vehicle; and
- I did not get the giggles and wish for a moment that I was the hot chocolate loving, venerable Dr P
Holly (The Grimdragon)
"You can drop me... at the library," I said with feeling.

Humans, The Pale, Bonewalkers, Tribals, Genetic Others.. oh my!

Phoebe Harkness is our glorious main protagonist. Witty; independent; smart; relatable. This is a character you cannot help but root for in her every move. She is no Bella Swan!

The supporting characters are wonderful. I truly adored Allesandro, Veronica Cloves, Lucy, Griff.. Gio the vampire that looks like David Bowie (!) was an absolutely delicious antagonist. They all had a
Sara Marsden
Dec 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
I have to admit I read this due to the overwhelming love it receives on Instagram. It's not the sort of book I would normally read if I'm honest, but then the age Old saying "don't judge a book by its cover" came along and smacked me round the head once I started it.
I genuinely really enjoyed it. Fahy has a very infectious style of writing. It's warm, funny and engaging. Also there's plenty of sarcasm in there, which is right up my street.
The plot was well thought out but not too complicated, wh
Mandy Jackson-Beverly
May 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Fun read! Thoroughly enjoyed the location descriptions (especially the interior of Sanctum—lovely). Appreciated Phoebe's strength and humor, and look forward to seeing the relationship between the intelligent scientist and the ever-so-sexy Allesandro 'develop.' My favorite character is Veronica Cloves, because I've known so many Veronica's in my life and God knows, they need exposing and a change of wardrobe! I've given this book 5 *'s because of the fantastic work done by the author: writing, s ...more
John Woolton
Oct 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
original and fun, this book bares its fangs and sticks its tounge out at what can be a very tired genre.
the vampires are three dimensional, the good guys are fallable, and the setting is delightful. loved it all
Alex Rowe ----Captain Valour
I don't even know where to start with the greatness of this book. I mean, I had heard all over Bookstagram how great the book was, and I love the author as a person himself, and really enjoyed Isle of Winds, so I knew I would enjoy it, but I honestly didn't think I would enjoy it as much as I did.

This story takes place many years into the future where Vampires and Werewolves are known among the people because of a species that the humans created that went rogue and started killing everyone. Dr.
Contrary Reader
Aug 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: spooky-reads
Mr Fahy clearly knows how to craft a page Turner. Couldn't put it down! With his shades of dystopian Huxley meets True Blood meets Underworld, I wasn't sure how he could create something fresh within the genre. But fresh he did. Loved Phoebe Harkness- bumbling scientist (I think you need to have a word with the Ghostbusters franchise for nicking your ideas) who kicks ass! Warring vampires, creepy pales and the even more creepy bonewalkers- all with the wit you would hope for given his bookstagra ...more
Linda Addams
Jan 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The world has ended, more or less, in a global war between humanity and synthesised super-humans we made, who went rogue and tried to kill us all. Thirty years later, where this book picks up, what remains of civilisation live within walled cities, putting their lives back together, and the super-humans have all devolved into rabid and mindless creature roaming outside. (a very clever take on the classic ‘zombie apocalypse’ idea.

To mix things up, the humans in walled Oxford are not alone, they
TheVampireBookworm
Jan 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: vampire-books
I ever thought I wasn't influence-able when it comes to social media. I know the ads around are customised to compel me to buy the kind of stuff I search for on the net and that nothing is as it seems but somehow ever since I joined bookstagram, there are people I can easily talk to about books and what more - there are authors who talk to us lowly humans :-)= And that's how I've got this book. I had to buy it because a) vampires and b) the author actually interacts with his followers. Big thum ...more
Louise K.
Mar 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Set in the not-too-distant future, the world we know is gone, ravaged by a creature of our own making. Hell’s Teeth is a dark and compelling read, with more than a little blood being shed along the way. For a book essentially about vampires, I especially enjoyed how unlike the stereotype these Genetic Others were. Not only did they have developed personalities, but also motives and personal investments in their own long-term goals.

I found the main character, Phoebe Harkness, to be easily likeabl
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • The Making of Gabriel Davenport (Gabriel Davenport #1)
  • Blood of the Queen (Orc Saga, #2)
  • Forged By Fire (Dragon Temple Saga, #3)
  • Soul Ink (Grimm Agency, #1.5)
  • The Isadora Interviews (The Network Series, #1.5)
  • Carniepunk: Daughter of the Midway, the Mermaid, and the Open, Lonely Sea
  • The Mannequins
  • Wanderers
  • The Union
  • Unseen (The Heights, #1)
  • Magic 101 (A Diana Tregarde Investigation Boxset)
  • Daughter of a Thousand Years
  • Blood & Spirits (The Coming Storm, #1)
  • Entangled
  • Monster Love
  • The Retreat (The After Trilogy, #1)
  • Link (The Shadow of Light, #1)
  • To Journey in the Year of the Tiger (Upper Kingdom, #1)
James Fahy is the childrens author of the Changeling fantasy series, a Middle-Grade age series following the adventures of Robin, a seemingly unremarkable boy who is swept up into a war between our world, and the Netherworlde, a shadowy realm which lies beyond our own.

In addition to fantasy for younger people, James also writes adult Urban Gothic

James is represented by the Ampersand Literary Agen

Phoebe Harkness (3 books)
  • Crescent Moon (Phoebe Harkness, #2)
  • Paper Children (Phoebe Harkness, #3)
“My flat was a shambolic mess. For a moment I wondered if Gio and his vampire clan had come round last night and turned the place over, maybe looking for me or the mystery files, but then I remembered it always looked like this. I really had to get around to tidying.” 1 likes