Start by marking “Trial By Charm (The Charmed Trials Series Book 1)” as Want to Read:
Trial By Charm (The Charmed Trials Series Book 1)

Trial By Charm (The Charmed Trials Series Book 1)

4.39  ·  Rating details ·  77 Ratings  ·  44 Reviews
Seventeen-year-old Julia Wright doesn't understand her friends' obsession with boys. She's never even had a crush, and proudly maintains her composure no matter who is in her presence. In fact, the hotter a guy is to her friends, the more annoying he seems to Julia. When she is blackmailed into being the manager of the men's swim team, she finds herself face to face with t ...more
209 pages
Published April 27th 2016 by Elephantine Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Trial By Charm, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Trial By Charm

Diane Lynch
Apr 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebook
Trial By Charm (The Charmed Trials Series Book 1) by Jolene Buchheit Jolene Buchheit’s Trial By Charm is hypnotizing.  Swim team captain Vander Thelxinoe has the ability to charm other’s mind.  He discovers his talent does not work on fellow swimmer seventeen-year-old Julia Wright.  The two rivals develop a friendship and wind up on a quest. This Greek mythological inspired urban fantasy novel is suitable for young adults.  It takes place in Cedar Rapids, Iowa.

I enjoyed Jolene Buchheit’s charac
Kelly Mccurdy
Apr 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
~~I received this in exchange for my honest opinion~~

This is the first book that I have read by Jolene and I can guarantee that this will not be the last book I read from her. Trial by Charm blew me away! When I first started the book, I went in not reading the blurb-well, I did read it, but I forgot what it said by the time that I started reading the book. That was a great surprise because it was like I went in blind. I took my time reading Trial by Fire, I wanted it to last, but know how I rea
Amber
May 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Trial By Charm was a phenomenal read full of suspense, drama and so much more. I really loved how developed the story line was. The characters were easy to connect to, I loved that it wasnt some type of insta love. Vander is def my favorite character, maybe because he doesnt hold back and says whats on his mind even if it makes him a jerk. Jolene Buchheit was very detailed and it showed, I liked that how vivid she was with her words. Mythology is one of my favorite genres to read, it's always to ...more
Rae Sontheyon
May 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Charmed I'm Sure! . . .

This book was not what I was expecting based on title or description, but I was thoroughly happy in the end. The female lead was realistic and relatable, while the male was rude, but had a heart. Oh and the story involves Greek mythology hidden and meddling in the contemporary world.

For high schooler Julia Wright the world does not revolve around boys, but her BFFs and all the other girls on her swim team can't stop obsessing about them. Julia just accepts the fact she's
Lauren Jones
May 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
I look away and notice how dark it has gotten. I steal a glance at Vander's fancy watch and then take a second look because it reads eight o'clock. "There are sixteen minutes left." Vander doesn't look at his watch, he doesn't stop humming, and he doesn't seem to share my distress, so I repeat myself. "Vander, we only have sixteen minutes. We've got to go."

Mythology is the name of the game in Trail by Charm by Jolene Buchheit. With a strong background to lean on, Buchheit has a fascinating story
Teresa
May 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Julia Wright has never been your normal teenage girl. She has never been boy crazy or tried to sneak a peak at the opposite sex, no matter how nice their abs may be. Vander is the perfect specimen of a teenage male. Captain of the swim team and hometown hottie, he has never had to work at getting his way. Until Julia. When these two lifelong classmates find themselves in an awkward situation working together may be their only chance at survival. Especially when you’ve pissed off a powerful godde ...more
Carrie
Apr 15, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016, calibre-library
I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

This book is filled to the brim with awkward teenage angst and mythology. As the start of a new series, it sets the scene for more books to come.

Julia is a strange teenage girl. She has absolutely zero interest in boys and a lot of interest in sleeping all the time. The sleeping thing might just be typical teenage behaviour, but the lack of interest in boys is concerning, even to her friends. All signs are pointing to her being asex
T.M. B.A. Corbett
Apr 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I do this thing where I read a book and make notes about likes and dislikes. Then I come back to the book and my notes about a week before my review to get a fresh view to see if I still feel the same way or maybe overreacted. Well, last night I picked up my notebook and read through my notes for Trial by Charm and re-read some of my favorite parts. I thought to myself before going to sleep 'Wow I can't wait to til I write my review for this book it was a great read!' then I went to bed........ ...more
Maghon Thomas
Well wow!!! I totally loved this story of Julia and Vander. It's such a fantastic play with Greek mythology and I absolutely will not spoil this. I kept trying to think of what Vander was supernaturally speaking and I didn't know until a few good chapters in. Seriously though, that mystery was fun figuring it out. I loved that Julia complimented Vander while still being able to be herself and have her BFF time. No need to be the damsel in distress. She pretty much is a bad ass on her own. And I ...more
Doris
May 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Julia has always been different but she never knew why. She was happy to be different, then she gets to know Vander through a chance run in... and life will forever be different.
Trial by Charm is the kind of story that you giggle the whole way through. I absolutely love the humor of the story that Julia interjects. There are so many references to current culture that the story pulls you in so easily as it is incredibly relatable.
I am a huge fan of mythology, so this is an awesome change for me
Jessica Hansen
Apr 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Diving into Trial by Charm was an absolute pleasure! Jolene was able to blend new age with old school myth flawlessly. She developed smart, thought out characters who grow with each obstacle that came their way.

Julia was a breath of fresh air, she was smart, quick and held my attention during this entire book. Even though she's is able to keep her composure around boys as soon as Vander enters her world something just clicks. Now she doesn't turn into "that girl" who's throwing herself suddenly
Rachel
Jun 14, 2016 added it
Melissa Burcham
Shelves: read-2016
I was asked for an honest review free of persuasion from the author or anyone else affiliated with this book.

CONTAINS SOME SPOILERS

I loved this book! I went into this book completely blind. I did not read the synopsis or anything else associated with this book. I was instantly pulled in and couldn't put the book down. This was a very good YA novel. I loved the mythology in the story. I also liked the teenage angel to it all.

Julia doesn't understand her friends fan-girling over boys. She could ca
Jaci
Jul 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Trial by Charm by Jolene Buchheit was AMAZING. I was hooked from the first page and still trying to wrap my head around the whole book. The way Jolene brought the story to you and the development of her characters made me feel like I was living in the world with the heroine and hero. These are stories I WANT to read over and over again. There were times in this book that I had to go back and re-read and make sure I was reading an indie book, it was THAT great!

When I dove into Trial by Charm I h
Ashley Cestra
May 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
I really enjoyed reading Trial By Charm! The characters were wonderful and very similar to today's teens! Jolene nailed a true teen girl's personality with a hot and cold temperament and of course the "omg he likes me " attitude!
There were some really comical parts and I giggled out loud on more than one occasion! The story line has an interesting plot, one that I have never read about before, so it was a really captivating and intriguing read! The author told the story well. My only critic is
Cindy
Apr 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Heather Pitts
Apr 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book is so fun, witty and light-hearted, I giggled quite alot which is rare for me and especially out loud! I love Julia and her friends, you can really feel the bonds the characters have to each other. I loved the funny insults and other phrases, as I said above I giggled alot! While it has all of that it also has a more deep and vulnerable side which I think was really well written. Jolene Buchheit smoothly transitions from the normal school day troubles and playful fun to the more mystic ...more
k wickham
Apr 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Truly Charming

Well developed characters and a solid plot kept my attention throughout the book. I really enjoyed reading Julia and Vander as their friendship developed and Julia tries to understand who she is. The supporting cast add to the fun and the side plot of the 'capture the flag' shenanigans was a hoot! Great book for young people and those older folks who enjoy YAlit.
Jolene has a great start to her series in this book! Wrapping up a story line while still leaving the reader with questi
This books
Apr 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
3.5 Stars

I was asked to read Trial by Charm for an honest review. Thank you, Jolene.

I finished Trial by Charm last night, though I found myself wanting to find out more, I have mixed feelings regarding the book.

I was entrapped within the storyline yet I find myself with unanswered questions. I was slightly taken back with how quickly the story ended. That being said I enjoyed watching the relationship blossom between Julia and Vander.

Trial by Charm is filled with teenage angst and a whole lot
Christy M. Coleman
Apr 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I received a copy of this book in return for my honest review.
I am going to start off by saying this book was amazing! I completely fell in love with the characters,the are so real and express so complexly. This book is great for all ages from younger teens to adults. Words aren't enough to describe how beautifully written this story is told. The only draw back is with me getting so into it was upset when it left me hanging and is now on my must have whole series books. I love it!! If there wer
Megan Starkweather
May 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Thank you Jolene for sharing such a wonderful story. I knew just by reading the blurb that it would be a good one and you did not disappoint. I could not put this book down if I wanted to. Started reading it last night until I went to bed and picked it up again first thing this morning because I wanted to know where this story was headed. I cannot wait for the next book to be released and find out where Vander and Julia end up in their lives. Thank you again.
Belinda Clemons
Jul 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Omg this was such a great book im really greatful that Jolene gifted me a copy. Julia and Vander was such a great set of characters ,and the Greek mythology aspect made my day I absolutely love books about mythology, you couldn't help but not want the book to end. I loved the first scene when the girls got caught by the guys breaking in to the school. I laughed. I had a couple guesses what Vander was but was wrong. I absolutely love the contest that was going on also.
Carole
Jul 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. The silly fangirl stuff was really amusing. I love that the story takes place in my current city of residence too.

I liked how Julia ends up liking Vander and they develop a close relationship even after she finds out about his family's past and has to go on a pre-trial quest together. I'm really looking forward to reading the next book and finding out more about Julia's special power.
Laura  Hernandez
Apr 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
I found myself grinning and giggling as I read this mythological YA book and had an extremely hard time putting it down. The author's writing style quickly pulls you in and you find yourself falling into the captivating story line enjoying the likeable characters. I highly recommend this hypnotic read.

{I received an eARC when I signed up to host the tour. I made no guarantee of a favorable review and the opinions expressed here are unbiased and my own.}
Heather De Los Reyes
May 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Trial by Charm was so creatively written and swept me away into her world! Julia and Vanders characters were written to have such chemistry. Vander is constantly trying to charm his way into Julia's life after he realizes she isn't like all the other girls that just fall for him. He gets into the friend zone but it could actually be more only she doesn't want to show it. Can't wait for the next book in the series to come out as it is sure to keep me up until I finish it!
Wendy
May 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book truly was charming! The characters were witty, and I got caught up in their adventure. I didn't want to put the book down. Although the ending leads to another book, the author didn't leave us hanging. She wrapped up the story, so there is no cliffhanger angst. I look forward to reading the next installment of this journey!
Sam Andrews
Mar 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Wow just wow.. This book has me captured from the start I absolutely love the take on Greek mythology I simply adore the characters especially Julia's friends! True fangirls right there! I can't wait or the next book! Jolene Buchheit has left me wanting so much more I will definitely put this down as one of my favourites! And I'm excited for what the next book gives us!
Dylan Evans
Trial by Charm is a very solid, enjoyable young adult novel that delves beautifully into Greek mythology. I like the play on languages between the teenagers, the capable adults who had some talents and usefulness, and the occasional twists.

The prose was lovely. I found myself staying up past midnight because it was easy to read and kept the story moving forward. It had a relatively simple structure which I appreciated greatly, I don't like puzzling through complex sentences.

My only complaint wit
Stephanie Chu
Aug 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
DAMN!!!!!!!!!!!!

This has definitely been one of the best books I have ever read!!! It was hooking, dramatic and romantic!!!

The storyline was planned out perfectly and the twists in the book made it all the better!!! Surprising the characters and the readers!!!!

I couldn't put down the book for one second because it was just that good!!! I read a lot of fantasybook but this has been one of the most interesting and intriguing version of SPOILER ALERT Sirens!!!!!!

I would recommend this book to anyo
J.A. Cintron
Jul 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Well this is something unxepected... Vander is a third of an ass and Demeter holds the remaining two thirds. Julie is awesome and so are her friends. regardless the quest seemed so unfair but hey gods are never fair. Can't wait to read the next one.
« previous 1 3 next »
As a substitute teacher, Jolene spends her days in high school classrooms harvesting material for her Young Adult novels. She also uses it as an outlet for fangirling by showing upcoming book-to-movie trailers at the end of class, or discussing vital issues like whether Katniss should have picked Gale or Peeta.

She is committed to helping Special Education teenagers become independent adults and he
More about Jolene Buchheit

Young Adult Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
  • How to Say I Love You Out Loud
  • The Lost Girls of Camp Forevermore
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Scat
  • Chomp
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
  • I See London, I See France
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth of March: A Story of the Boston Massacre (Great Episodes)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Starfish
  • Olive's Ocean
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
  • Little Monsters
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • 13 Little Blue Envelopes (Little Blue Envelope, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Loved (House of Night Other World #1)
    $11.00 $0.99
  • Train I Ride
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Howl's Moving Castle (Howl's Moving Castle, #1)
  • Greyhound
  • Annie on My Mind
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Curse (Blur Trilogy #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
    $4.24 $1.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
  • Taken (Taken, #1)
  • Ungifted
  • Julie of the Wolves
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Things We Know by Heart
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
  • The Secret of a Heart Note
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Old Yeller
    $6.99 $1.99
  • After the Game (The Field Party, #3)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Ticker
  • How To Keep Rolling After a Fall
  • No Love Allowed
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)