Start by marking “Rebellious Cargo” as Want to Read:
Rebellious Cargo

Rebellious Cargo

Spring 1803 -The frigate was his life. It was her nightmare.

Jane Charlesworth, daughter of England’s foremost code breaker, is the only person thought capable of deciphering a vital government document. But when a naval frigate is sent to enlist her services and transport her to Malta, Jane is horrified. Haunted with terrible memories of an earlier voyage, she has no
Published February 22nd 2016 by Crooked Cat Publishing Ltd (first published October 6th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Rebellious Cargo, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rebellious Cargo

Start your review of Rebellious Cargo
Luli
Sep 16, 2016 rated it it was ok
No puedo terminarla. Esta historia me ha descolocado desde el principio pero parecía tener buena pinta y quería saber qué pasaría. Pero ha llegado un momento en el que se ha vuelto predecible y simplona y, la verdad, no estoy de humor para continuar.

El título de la historia es, como poco, acertado. Mrs. Jane Charlesworth es insubordinada, impertinente, deslenguada, atrevida y no tiene la más remota idea de cómo se comporta una dama. Demasiado “contemporáneo” para mi gusto. Si esta historia
Ruth
This one, provided by the publisher in exchange for a review, is just the sort of naval romance that I love. An easy read, but with several well-developed characters (not just the hero and heroine), a plot that is exciting and a writing style that keeps things moving along nicely.

I liked that the heroine wasn't some winsome no-hoper, but a woman with experience of life, determination and vulnerability. The hero is her perfect foil - an excellent officer, but rather out of practice in dealing
Meghan Edwards
Oct 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
I received a free copy from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
I very much enjoyed this tale of Jane: a brilliant, code-cracking, business running, ship captain, bluestocking. She’s witty, intelligent, and very real as a person.
Adam was difficult to warm up to, but he grew on me as he showed honour and integrity in how he handled Jane’s verbal assaults on his person and the reactions of his crew to having women on board.
My only fault with this book is how neatly the end was tied up
Anna Swedenmom
Sep 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
A buy book...
Courage, adventure, passion and more. While it was perhaps a little too graphic in places for me, I enjoyed the story and the writing. The author does a good job catching your attention as well as holding it. I like the characters an the flow. I can say that for many this book with so many different elements as well as the twists in the story will make it well worth the read. For me, I can say I was engrossed most of the time and only skipped a little when I thought the graphic
Nancy
Sep 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Jane Charlesworth's father is the top code breaker for the British. He has died but he has taught his daughter, Jane to do the same work he is able to do. The admiralty has sent Adam Marston to bring Jane to Malta to decode a document but there are more than one incident that gets in their way. It is the story of heroes, villains, and several twists to keep your interest.
Susan Roebuck
Mar 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
There comes a time when a person wants a tale that romps along with the added ingredients of a swashbuckling naval captain who takes no prisoners and an intelligent woman who can decode top secret papers (who also takes no prisoners).
The setting is on the high seas and the author’s skill allows the reader to hear the grinding of the ropes, the smash of the waves, the odour of unwashed sailors... A great adventure with memorable characters and a feisty heroine who’s had more than her fair share
Julia Roebuck
Jan 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Not quite sure why the main female character being a rape victim added to the story. Especially as the rapist was (near the end) pronounced dead by robbery. Other than that, this was a good story.
I was expecting the rapist to re-appear later on and for the main female character to get retribution.
Debs
Apr 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Captain Adam Marston meets his match.

Really solid story. Well written with an authentic feel for life at sea on-board a navy frigate. Marston is an unyielding hero yet one of integrity and understanding. Jane is a woman who was taught by an over indulgent father about encryption and ciphers and as a result needs 'retrieving' to aid the war effort. The high romance really hits as our crew make landfall as Captain Marston seems all to aware of how harmful an Ill judged romance might prove at sea.
Nicki Ramsay
Nov 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: giveaways-won
A well written and novel storyline. I loved the two main characters and how their relationship developed. I didn't want the story to end, I was enjoying it so much.
Janet
Sep 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Jane Charlesworth, daughter of England’s foremost code breaker, is the only person thought capable of deciphering a vital government document. But when a naval frigate captained by Adam Marston is sent to enlist her services and transport her to Malta, Jane is horrified & haunted with terrible memories of an earlier voyage, she has no intention of putting herself under the protection of the Admiralty ever again.
Adam is livid when his ship is diverted to collect a reluctant blue-stocking
Nancy
Dec 31, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A thoroughly enjoyable read. Following the escapades of Jane Charlesworth was an easy task as the independent woman of the early 1800s proves to be a resourceful woman. I liked that her companion/friend, Celine, is probably even more courageous as they both become embroiled in the intrigues and dangers caused by rapacious, dangerous men. Captain Adam Marston ticks all the romantic hero boxes as he finds solutions to the problems caused by his disappearing charge - Jane Charlesworth
Jody Allred
Aug 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book

I enjoyed this book great story romance pirates bad men this book had a lot going on but real easy to follow story
Angela
Apr 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Great, fun adventure story romance
Mojca
***copy provided by publisher through NetGalley***

Couldn't be bothered, really. I didn't like the narrative style, jumping from one character to the next every few paragraphs, the story didn't pull me in, I couldn't be bothered to care what happened, and the heroine was all over the place, acting a shrew one moment, while disliking drawing attention to the herself the next, then rude, and the next second angry that someone called her on it.

I got to 65% by skimming pages, and then simply couldn't
C bond
Sep 15, 2016 rated it liked it
via netgalley

an ok read.
Lisa
I was a bit disappointed in this book. The author's first book was better, in my opinion. I just didn't care for the details that were pushing somewhat towards more graphic.
poppy
Oct 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
an ok read i quite liked this book would try more by this author worth a read
Susan
rated it it was ok
Aug 28, 2016
Crooked Cat Publishing
Jan 04, 2016
Susan Lodge writes historical romance set against the backdrop of Nelson’s navy and injects a fair dose of humour into her stories.
If someone asked Susan for her wish list it would start with a Star Trek holodeck.
A great admirer of the works of Patrick O’Brian and Georgette Heyer, her destinations would start with a voyage on Jack Aubrey’s frigate (preferably avoiding times of conflict). Next