Start by marking “Dream Job, Wacky Adventures of an HR Manager” as Want to Read:

Read Book

Dream Job, Wacky Adventures of an HR Manager

Single sexless Melanie Kohl's trying to keep it all together at Axis Mundi Medical Center in NYC where misbehaving doctors and immoral staff line up outside her HR office for solace and solutions. Hey, she's got her own problems! Where is her life? Just as she's starting to melt down . . .

Join Melie for a wild ride through a landscape dotted with comical mishaps, murder,
Published March 16th 2016 by Janet Garber via Lulu

Start your review of Dream Job, Wacky Adventures of an HR Manager
Susan
Nov 21, 2016 rated it really liked it

Janet Garber

DREAM JOB, WACKY ADVENTURES OF AN HR MANAGER hit close to home for me. I worked in HR for years although none of the problems that were brought to me were anything like the ones Melie has to deal with. HR is never an easy job to do but some of the situations Melie found herself having to deal with just cracked me up! I found myself giggling out loud and snorting while reading!

DREAM JOB, WACKY ADVENTURES OF AN HR MANAGER felt very real for
Kritika Narula
Aug 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
I will start from the cover of the book. It has management and HR written all over it.
With a silhoutte of a face and dream job inscribed on it, it is hard to miss the irony and the multiple meanings lent to it.

At first I found it an exercise and a tough one to delve under the skin of the book but there was an inundation of names makinbit tougher for me to get through without going back every 5 sentences or so.
But then the humor and the cases of HR take over, and my reading caught up speed.
Jennie Rosenblum
Dec 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
For some reason when I said I would read this book I thought it was non-fiction - What a pleasant surprise! I have been reading non-fiction for most of the month and thought this was a different avenue - business - Little did I know how different. Before this life I was in the corporate world and this book brought back all the wacky office politics with great laughs. The personalities of the characters was what you find in a lot of offices once you break down the quirks. I called a friend still ...more
Susan Rescigno
Nov 02, 2016 rated it liked it
I met Janet at the John C. Hart Memorial Library in Shrub Oak, NY. I bought her book and enjoyed reading it. I especially liked her main characters, Melanie and Ted, and her humorous way of describing her career in human resources.

Janet, please keep me in mind for editing and/or indexing any nonfiction books that you write. Thanks, Susan
David Z Hirsch
Apr 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
This is a wild and wacky book all right, and it’s a blast. From the moment we meet Melie, she’s mired in HR insanity and an existential crisis of romantic desperation: “Men seem to want something she just couldn’t give. They drifted in and out, leaving more rusted wreckage in her dump of a heart.”

Matching the story perfectly is Garber’s writing style, which is the linguistic equivalent of a New York City attitude. The sentences come at you as brisk, overlapping waves, hurling you across the
Amy Shannon
Sep 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
A definite clever read.

This story was very clever and witty. I found it entertaining, in a way where I would laugh out loud. It also has some touching moments. It proved that being in HR is not a job that everyone could handle, or should be taken lightly. Anyone that works for a company where HR is a major part of, will have this as an eye opener. There were a few issues that were iffy about the handling or annoyances, but every grievance, big or small is not something that should be taken
Nov 18, 2018 rated it did not like it
This book was received from the publisher in return for an honest review

I tend to enjoy books in the same vein as Hotel Babylon so I requested this expecting it to be some sort of amusing collection of anonymised anecdotes, instead I’m not really sure what I got but it wasn’t really for me.

Other people have rated it highly though so it clearly works for some people
May 10, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2017, fiction
Depressing, manic, almost DNF'd it about 30 times in its 160 pages, but forced myself to the end to see if there would be a point. There wasn't.
Dyan
I got this book through Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

I read 50 pages or so and just really couldn't figure out what to make of it.
I enjoyed some parts, was confused the next minute, wasn't sure what was happening inside of her mind or IRL. From one minute to the next she was super into kissing everyone she ran into and then a scene from the HR office occurs where she talks about so many characters that I just can't tell them apart..

I was really enjoying this story, but because of
Kaye Booth
Sep 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Dream Job: Wacky Adventures of an HR Manager, by Janet Garber, is a quirky romance with a light rhythm which readers fall into easily, moving the story along at a mellow clip. Although at times the dialog seems a bit stilted, Garber’s characters are just peculiar enough to make it work. Dream Job will keep you smiling and perhaps even invoke a few chuckles. A thoroughly entertaining read.

Read my full review of "Dream Job" on my blog, "Writing to be Read". https://kayelynnebooth.wordpress.com/...
Sharon O'Connell
Apr 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I did not want this book to end. Each page had me rooting for Melie. I felt her stress, and could relate to her wacky life. Please a sequel and a movie!!
Shelly Hanner
Jul 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Funny. witty. would make a great TV sitcom. Highly recommended.
Gaby Friedman
Jul 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Take a stroll down the hall of fame of terrible bosses. As an apparent newcomer to the field of HR, I got a kick out of the experiences of Melie. I can only hope that this never happens to me!
Denise
Sep 19, 2016 rated it did not like it
I was disappointed in this book and would not recommend it.
Snake
Seton Rae
rated it it was ok
Nov 10, 2016
Janet Garber
Mar 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  (Review from the author)
Karli
Jan 08, 2017
Dora Okeyo
Apr 16, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Simply put: Mel's the HR who has to fix-it-all and some things are borderline crazy at her work place.
Then there's Ted, a breath of fresh air, and their spontaneous hooking up and situation at work, she struggles to find that balance and the way to the happy ending involves some laughs, heartfelt moments and a lot of chapters!
Stephanie Helgeson
Anusha Narasimhan
Nov 13, 2016
Catherine
Nov 20, 2016
A PhD/English Lit dropout from the University of Rochester, Janet Garber is fond of live blues and folk music, hiking in the “Gunks” with hubby, and mixing up weird ingredients. She has had her articles, essays, book and movie reviews, short stories and poems published widely in print and online. Her comic novel, Dream Job, was a finalist in the Next Generation Indie Book Awards and a Runner-Up in ...more