Start by marking “The Courage of Sarah Noble” as Want to Read:
The Courage of Sarah Noble

The Courage of Sarah Noble

3.86  ·  Rating details ·  4,759 Ratings  ·  270 Reviews

When Sarah Noble was eight years old she had her great adventure -- going with her father into the wilds of Connecticut to cook for him while he built a house.

There were Indians -- would they be friendly There were many times when Sarah had to say to herself, as her mother had said when she left home, Keep up your courage, Sarah Noble. Keep up your courage.

This charming

Published December 28th 1954 by MacMillan Publishing Company (first published January 1st 1954)

To ask other readers questions about The Courage of Sarah Noble, please sign up.

Angie Creel I know this is late, but I think his name was Thomas.

Rian
Feb 07, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: native-american
Summary: this tells the story of Sarah Noble who traveled with her father in 1707 to help build their family's new home in New Milford, CT. It is on the list of books not recommended by the Oyate website.

Response 1 (before reading the Oyate evaluation): As I am reading, I am going to record my predictions of what the Oyate reviewers will find disturbing:
- the purchase of the land by the white men
- the Robinson children's manner of talking about "the Indians" (p. 10-11) and Mrs. Robinson's use of
Ginette
Oct 04, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I know this book has been criticized for portraying Native Americans in a negative light and propagating false information about them, but, considering that it is based on a true story and from the point of view of an 8-year-old pioneer girl in the 1700s, it is probably an accurate portrayal of what people would think or say about Native Americans at the time. The use of the term "Indians," while inaccurate at best and offensive at worst, was what people in the 1700s called them (or worse). I no ...more
Hannah
Jan 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The simple yet lovely writing structure and the beautiful black and brown illustrations by Leonard Weisgard places this book in my list of favorite childhood reads that spawned a lifelong love of historical fiction and non-fiction.

Sarah Noble was an 8 year old girl who traveled with her father to the Connecticut wilderness in 1707. They became the first white settlers in what is now New Milford, Connecticut.

I was somewhat surprised to find that this book is controversial for it's portrayal of na
Jacklyn (ReadingBliss)
Sometimes, you gotta do what you gotta do. Moving to a new home, surrounded by rumors of evil natives (indians), circled by strangers with a a foreign tongue, after a long journey on foot, Sarah Noble remembers the parting words her mother gave her to keep her strong. Through all the scary trials- and there are quite a many for a young child- Sara Noble takes you with her as she learns to brave through things while still being afraid, finding the best type of courage of all.

Based on a true stor
Anna Grace
Apr 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I recently found this in the children's library I work at and remembered it as my favorite book of third grade. I was thrilled to be able to read it again. I'd forgotten that it is based on a true story, making it all the more important. I love Sarah's character development as she continuously faces challenges that most eight year olds would not have to face. Living in the woods with her father to cook with him, far away from her home and family, she learns to fend for herself. When her father n ...more
Nancy
Jul 25, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
Really nice story. I will be sharing it with my 9 year old daughter. I was surprised at how contemporary the thought processes were, given the year it was published (1954). It has very good themes about inclusion, racism, and the courage it takes to embrace others different from you when your culture is against it--but simplistic enough that it is eminently readable.
Hosanna
A sweet step back into a book I enjoyed in my younger reading years. =)
Malinda
My boys and I read this in one short sitting and all enjoyed it
Nicola Mansfield
This is probably my 4th time reading this book. It doesn't warrant that many readings but I read it as a kid, read it aloud to my kids and just re-read it now since I haven't reviewed it here yet. A Newbery Honor Award Winner, ...Sarah Noble is a well-written frontier story set in Connecticut. It's a nice story based on a true family, that very little detail exists about and has become more legendary than historical fact. Father and daughter travel across state to settle on new land and this eas ...more
Karen
Mar 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jacob, ellie, mom
We read this book last summer. We now have a saying...."Keep up your courage, keep up your courage" from this book. Definitely going to read again so my six (and eight) year old will remember it even more. 3/31/15

Ellie read this book to herself and rated it 5 stars as part of the Pizza Hut Book It program...krb 10/6/16
Beth Anne
Oct 30, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012, read-aloud
This was another fantastic read-aloud. Set in early 1700s America, the simple story inspired courage and bravery in the face of the unknown. Emma was absolutely captivated and we read the entire second half in one sitting.
Paige Lemmon
Nov 14, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
good historical fiction
Selah (abibliophilesstyle)
Good historical fiction for the elementary school set. Dalgleish handled the prejudices of the time well.
momma.hailey
Mar 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a lovely story! Perfect for all ages, especially the 6-10 range. Vivien read this as part of her history curriculum and after she referenced it a few times I knew she wanted to discuss it.
Ian Wood
Aug 16, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition

Hope Kirk
Jul 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really loved this book! Gives you a good idea of what it would have been like having to leave your family to build homes to move to. As a future teacher, I would use this book in a social studies lesson to teach students about our history with Indians and how families back then lived.
Angie
Lizzie: It didn't hold my interest as much as other books have done. I liked how she made friends with the Indians and I liked how she learned to weave baskets. I didn't like that the father had to leave her behind when he went to go get the rest of the family, and how she had to stay by herself during the days while her father was working on building the house.
Sara
Mar 17, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this as my daughter loved it and it was a Newbery Honor Book. It's a charming read with lovely illustrations but lacks the weight of other Newbery books we have read. Still, a worthy addition to a book list, particularly if your child is studying early American history or enjoys Laura Ingalls Wilder books. It's a very quick read.
Kevin Summers
Mar 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: middle-grades
Sample quote: "Over the river they went, with Sarah riding on Tall John's shoulder. Once--only once--she looked back at the Indian house. They had been kind to her, but now she was going home."
Teri
4.5 stars. GREAT true story that is PERFECT for young girls. The strong protagonist is a young girl only 8 years old who brave enough to travel with her father into the Connecticut wilderness, and then brave enough to stay there while he returns for the rest of the family.
Shanna Gonzalez
Oct 27, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-04-08
Eight-year-old Sarah Noble's father is setting out from colonized territory into the wilderness of Connecticut. Knowing that her mother and siblings must stay behind with the baby, Sarah volunteers to accompany him on the dangerous journey to establish their new home. Upon her departure, her mother fastens her red cloak under her chin and admonishes her, "Keep up your courage, Sarah Noble." The cloak and the words travel with her all across the wild territory, through nights in the open with wol ...more
Alison
Title: The Courage of Sarah Noble
Author: Alice Dalgliesh
Illustrator: Leonard Weisgard
Genre: Historical Fiction
Theme(s): Christianity, Diversity, Culture, History
Opening Line/Sentence: “Sarah lay on a quilt under a tree.”
Brief Book Summary: Sarah is a young girl of only eight years old who accompanies her father on a journey for him to build their new home on the land her father recently purchased from “Indians.” Sarah has reservations about the “Indians” that are in such close proximity but s
Mrs. Romaniuk
The book is about an eight-year-old girl who travels with her father to Massachusetts to cook for him as he builds a home there. She is the one chosen to go since she is the oldest of eight siblings. Throughout the book, she and her father encounter Native Americans and Sarah lives with them for a few weeks.

I first heard of The Courage of Sarah Noble on the following website: http://www.oyate.org/index.php?option... The first story describes one parent’s experience when her child had to read th
Chris Connolly
Oct 17, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: libs-642
Category (Fiction Choice)
Genre (Historical Fiction)
Found on page 210 in the textbook
Newbery Honor 1955

1. Description

Set in the days of Indians, Sarah Noble begins her journey across the land with her father who wished to build a new home for his family, and Sarah has chosen to travel with him; they travel far from home, then come to the very location where the house will be built. However, when they arrive, Sarah comes face-to-face with Indian children who find her intriguing. Fearing that they
Katie Fitzgerald
This review also appears on my blog, Read-at-Home Mom.

The Courage of Sarah Noble is a short chapter book set in 1707, which is suitable for second and third graders. It tells the story of a real child who accompanies her father into the wilderness to cook his meals while he builds their family a new home. Sarah is nervous, but reminds herself of her mother's advice to hold on to her courage. When Sarah's father goes back to bring the rest of the family to the new house, Sarah must stay behind wi
Gale
May 16, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
FINDING INNER WARMTH AND STRENGTH TO CARRY ON

This slender book is an easy read for elementary children, with its 8-year-old heroine who becomes the little lady of a rustic household, short sentence and many full-page illustrations in brown tones. Sarah accompanies her father on a long journey from the Massachusetts colony down to the Connecticut frontier, to the site of a future town, New Milford, by the Great River. The middle child of a large family she offers to cook and keep house for Mr. N
Books Kids Like
Oct 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dalgliesh-alice
It is 1707, and Sarah Noble's family is living in Westfield, Massachusetts. When John Noble purchases a tract of land in New Milford, Connecticut, he takes eight year-old Sarah with him. Mrs. Noble stays in Westfield with the younger children. The journey to New Milford takes many days. Sometimes they sleep with other settlers, and other times, in the woods. When they get to their new home they hollow a shallow cave in a hill and sleep there. Before she left home, Sarah's mother gave her a beaut ...more
Autumn T
Feb 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was about Sarah and her father going to, and building a house in, a new place eight-year-old Sarah had never seen before. When Sarah's father leaves to get her mother and sister she must stay with an Indian named Tall John and his tribe.

Discussion Question Answers:

1. Sarah must be courageous because she is taking a journey into a land she does not know and she will have to face a lot of challenges. The Indians, at first, seem scary to her before they became her friends.

2. Sarah encoun
Karen Peters
The Courage of Sarah Noble is a historical fiction book written by Alice Dalgliesh and illustrated by Leonard Weisgard. The book would be most suited to the Intermediate(I) level reading group. The Courage of Sarah Noble was awarded the Newbery Honor Award and the Lewis Carroll Shelf Award.

In 1707, young Sarah Noble must travel into the wilderness with her father to build the family's new home. Sarah was frightened by tales of wild Indians and animals who could cause her harm. When Sarah's fathe
Elise
Nov 27, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
We listened to this on CD during a recent road trip. It is very short--took less than an hour, I believe. My husband couldn't stop poking fun at it because of the redundancy of the lines, "Keep up your courage, Sarah Noble!" This was every few paragraphs. (I think it was partly the fault of the woman reading it. She was a bit dramatic.) Anyway, I expected there to be more substance to the story. An 8-yr-old girl travels with her father to a new settlement, then stays with a Native American famil ...more
  • A Lion to Guard Us
  • The Apple and the Arrow
  • The Matchlock Gun
  • The Perilous Road
  • The House of Sixty Fathers
Family: Born in Trinidad, British West Indies; naturalized U.S. citizen; died in Woodbury, CT; daughter of John and Alice (Haynes) Dalgliesh.

Educator, editor, book reviewer, and author, Dalgliesh was an elementary school teacher for nearly seventeen years, and later taught a course in children's literature at Columbia University. From 1934 to 1960 she served as children's book editor for Charles
More about Alice Dalgliesh...

“Friends have ways of speaking without words.” 13 likes