Start by marking “The Adventures of Gracie & MonkeyBear (Book 1: Summer)” as Want to Read:
The Adventures of Gracie & MonkeyBear (Book 1: Summer)

Read Book

The Adventures of Gracie & MonkeyBear (Book 1: Summer)

"Named to Kirkus Reviews' Best Books of 2016"
B.R.A.G. Medallion

"Young readers who love to pretend will see Gracie as a kindred spirit and look forward to future seasonal adventures in this planned kids book series."
–Kirkus Reviews (starred review)

- Available to Bookstores & Libraries through Ingram Book Group, Brodart
- Hardcover, paperback & ebook formats
- Ask for it a
Hardcover, includes additional 'young author writing & coloring story', 48 pages
Published May 2016 by MonkeyBear Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Adventures of Gracie & MonkeyBear, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Adventures of Gracie & MonkeyBear

Start your review of The Adventures of Gracie & MonkeyBear (Book 1: Summer)
Kelley
Apr 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Picture book received courtesy of Goodreads.com First Reads Giveaway

"For all the girls in all the worlds. May you feel strength with your first breath, realize your unlimited potential for greatness on your second, and follow your dreams on your third." This quote is prominently displayed in the front of and on the back cover of this book. I love that "Girl Power" feeling! Gracie and her dog, Monkeybear, spend every Saturday freeing T-Rex's or repairing broken alien spaceships. After all, just b
Jody McGrath
Sep 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Gracie is a dauntless child and she takes advantage of her Saturdays to go on backyard imagination adventures with her brilliant companion (and dog), Monkeybear. On this beautiful Summer day, the dog up a dinosaur and send him yo his home, help a space alien fix his ship, and help rescue a young whale trapped in a net. Gracie and Monkeybear even manage to do all that before grandma calls them to dinner!

First, I would like to thank the author for sending me this gorgeous book. She had it wrapped
Jessica Mills
Jun 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: just-won
First Impression. First and foremost, I would like to make note of the beautiful presentation and packaging of this book. I have never felt as if a book were such a treasure until now. I immediately felt as if I were somehow one of the luckiest people alive and couldn’t wait to unwrap the tissue to discover what kind of secret book lay waiting. I don’t know if anyone else gets this feeling, but you know a good book when you walk into Barnes and Noble and one draws your attention from a display i ...more
Lorra
Jun 18, 2016 rated it liked it
I received this book as a giveaway and after reading have passed it on to my neighbours little girl. Thank You for taking the extra time to beautifully present your book in tissue gift wrap. It certainly made it a welcoming surprise. The book is so wonderfully illustrated and the interesting imagery just jumps off the pages. I love the hard cover and durably of the pages which will last after years of page turnings.

The story line itself I felt was little bizarre but I guess it will appeal to a
Iain Richmond
Nov 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is the first time I have EVER felt inspired to review a picture book. The Adventures of Gracie & MonkeyBear.

I bought the hardcover at our local bookstore as a gift for my niece & nephew– the cover simply called to me. The bookstore owner did tell me, however that it is not an easy book to find (but she expects that to change as more people ask for it). My niece & nephew wanted me to read it to them, so I did... wow is all I can say. My niece is 4 & my nephew is 9 and they loved it. The Voo
Clyde
May 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I just finished reading this to my grandson for the third time this week. It is quickly becoming our go-to at bedtime. The bright colors and fun characters immediately draw us in to their next adventure. Each reading reveals something new on the page, inspires questions, and refines our T-Rex, Whale and Voosurian speak - which always results in great laughter. Can't wait for Book 2!
CJ
Sep 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book is fantastic! Gracie is an adventurous wonder girl and willing to help and encourage all those in need. She has a confident and vibrant personality and I really enjoyed joining her on her adventurous day. I look forward to sharing more of her adventures in the future.
Katherine
Oct 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Got this as a Goodreads Giveaway. Lovely book for girls. Liked the story and the illustrations. Signature and bookmark a nice touch. Haven't given it a 5 as the pages have fallen out. Would have taken it back to the shop if I had bought it.
DENISE
Sep 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I read it to my niece, and she adored the stories and illustrations, as did I. This book is an absolute delight!
Casandria
Dec 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
A very imaginative girl and her dog save the day 3 times in her grandma's backyard.
Sean Reed
Jan 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a fun book for kids. My wife has read it to two Kindergarten classes so far and the kids all loved it!
Jen
Aug 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Imagination takes you anywhere...
gj indieBRAG
Sep 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
We are proud to announce that THE ADVENTURES OF GRACIE AND MONKEYBEAR by C.S. O'Kelly is a B.R.A.G.Medallion Honoree. This tells a reader that this book is well worth their time and money!
Awesome Indies Book Awards
Awesome Indies Book Awards is pleased to include THE ADVENTURES OF GRACIE & MONKEYBEAR (#1: Summer) by C.S. O’KELLY in the library of Awesome Indies' Badge of Approval recipients at http://j.mp/AwesIndBK307

Original Awesome Indies' Assessment (5 stars):

The Adventures of Gracie & Monkeybear, Book 1: Summer is a fantastic children's book just in time for the holidays - packed with wonderful illustrations, a fun adventure and an important message about helping others. The titular Gracie is a yo
Ellie
May 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
I was selected by GoodReads to receive a signed First Edition of this book and am pleased to be able to share my review here.
My first impression was that of interesting imagery and challenging vocabulary levels for the very young readers. One gets the feel of a brilliant little girl whose imagination knows no bounds.

Together with her sidekick, Monkeybear, a fuzzy big dog, good-natured, and very smart himself, Gracie spends her day outside to delve into three formidable adventures. They have maps
May 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: free-arc, youthful
Note: I won a free copy of this book through Goodreads Giveaways

Even before I opened, the package fully, I was enamored with this book. The author went the extra mile in packaging for shipping that showed how much they care about their work. Opening the tissue paper, I was delighted with the artwork. This is a beautifully illustrated book. The dedication to girls everywhere was a great message to spread.

This is a charming story about a little girl and her dog and the adventures they go on in a s
Rayleigh
Jul 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I received this book from the author for the purpose of this review. All comments and opinions are entirely my own.

The Adventures of Gracie and MonkeyBear is a story that encourages kids to use their imagination. It’s super fun to read aloud as we follow Gracie and MonkeyBear on their many adventures, all taken place in their own backyard.

The story is creative and interactive, and the pictures are beautifully done. I love that the book is hardback, so it’s very durable and the pages are thick so
Donna
Jul 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
You don’t have to leave your backyard to have a great adventure. All you need is your imagination, a big heart, and your best friend.

With that, Gracie—she’s equal parts Dora the Explorer and Indiana Jones—and her resourceful canine pal MonkeyBear (real name Seamus, but don’t call him that), help Stuff-A-Mus the dinosaur find his way back to Montana, get a Voosurian starship back on the “road,” and free a whale named Wooliatha who’s caught in a net. And all in one busy Saturday!

Gracie’s adventu
Rebecca Markus
Aug 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
When it was time for bed, even my ten-year-old was riveted by this fun story. Gracie and her dog Monkeybear went straight from one adventure to another without skipping a beat or losing the reader. All of this imaginary fun took place in a single day in Gracie's backyard.

I love that the book encourages kids to get outside and play. It illustrates how a child can get so engrossed in pretend play that the sun is going down before they know it.

The Adventures of Gracie and Monkeybear is a wonderful
Nan O'Leary
Sep 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I received this book through a goodreads giveaway. I wanted to read it before I gave it to my two young grandsons ages 2 and 5. I know they will love it because it involves adventures, a dog and a Tyrannosaurus Rex. The main character is a girl but that should not stop anyone from reading it to a boy. It stresses the importance of being kind and how strong girls can be. This is important for all little boys to realize too. I thought the artwork was very imagative. It seems that Monkeybear is a f ...more
Donna
Feb 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Bright, bold graphics. Sweet, empowering story.
Lynda
Apr 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Beautifully illustrated book of the adventures of Gracie and her wonderdog Monkeybear...encounters with a Tyrannosaurus, a Starship and a whale in the backyard pool! I do think some of the wording was a little heavy for younger children and maybe it's just me but i had a hard time reading the make believe language of the Voosurian starship captain JungJung Shoochoo.

I received this book free in a Goodreads Giveaway.
KarnagesMistress
I couldn't always understand what was going on with this story, but I fear that may be my age showing. It's been a few decades since I was a young girl living in a fantasy world with my dog. However, thanks in large part to the lush artwork, I could begin to remember. I know that my niece will understand the book, so I was happy to send it to her. I received this book for free through Goodreads Giveaways. It is autographed.
Anna Playford
Jun 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I received this book for free in exchange for an honest review. Thank you for sending me the book!

I read it to my nephew for the first time this week and he absolutely loved it. He carries the book around with him wherever he goes now and is drawn into it. The story was lovely from start to finish, and the illustrations were bright and colourful and beautifully done. A charming little story about a little girl and her dog going on adventures.

I give it a 5/5 rating.
Shannon
Jul 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Gracie & MonkeyBear are awesome! The story is easy to read aloud - but it doesn't "talk down" to kids at all. The illustrations are fantastic. The storyline is empowering for girls and boys, especially those who like dogs. This is a book that will stay on our shelves for a long time and is already a favorite of my daughter's. More please! ...more
Deb
May 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
The illustrations in this book are beautiful. The story is a little disjointed but that fits when you consider it is the story is little girl and her dog having backyard adventures. well done! I received this book as a Goodreads giveaway and look forward to sharing at library storytime.
Tammy Downing
May 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I received this book for free from Goodreads Giveaways. A really wonderful story about a young girl and her dog who go on many delightful adventures in her imagination. I loved the colorful pictures and her very vivid imagination.
Jennifer beck
May 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
great kids book and I can't wait to give it to the child. LOVE IT!!!
Mark
Apr 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is great book. Sat down with my 4 year old son and he was enthrawled. The illustrations are amazing and each of the 3 stories are interesting and just long enough for childern. I can't wait for more installments.
Gayle Cappelluti
Apr 21, 2017 rated it liked it
I won this beautiful book in a Goodreads Giveaway. What a gorgeous gift this was to behold, wrapped in delicate tissue paper and signed by the author. When I opened it up, I felt so very fortunate. The cover and illustrations are bright and vibrant, so inviting to the reader. The story itself left a little to be desired for me, though I assume I may be in the minority here.
This tale of a brave and adventurous little girl and her dog is offered to the little girls of the world. That in and of it

• Duck for President
  • This Telling
  • Harry and the Bucketful of Dinosaurs
  • If I Had a Little Dream
  • The Wide-Mouthed Frog: A Pop-Up Book
  • Tiny, Perfect Things
  • Knuffle Bunny: A Cautionary Tale (Knuffle Bunny, #1)
  • Too Many Pumpkins
  • Flotsam
  • Leonardo, the Terrible Monster
  • Backpack Explorer: Beach Walk
  • The School of Essential Ingredients
  • Touch and Feel Fall (Scholastic Early Learners)
  • The Lost Art of Mixing
  • Chicken Soup, Chicken Soup
  • Sprinkle with Murder (Cupcake Bakery Mystery, #1)
  • Batal (Spartan Chronicles, #1)
  • Darkness: Book One of the Oortian Wars
"Books should transcend, transport,
and most of all, inspire those who read them."
- C.S O'Kelly

Thanks to a small group of dedicated artists, editors and designers, C. S. O'Kelly is grateful to be able to create and author the storyworld of the children's picture book series 'The Adventures of Gracie & MonkeyBear.'

Born to a loving mother with little money, but an abundance of imagination that she