Start by marking “The One That Got Away (Kingston Ale House #1)” as Want to Read:
The One That Got Away (Kingston Ale House #1)

The One That Got Away (Kingston Ale House #1)

How far will one man go for the woman he's loved since high school?

Jamie Kingston has been Brynn Chandler's best friend since middle school. Only once was their friendship tested—when Brynn gave Jamie a single kiss. Since then, they've had an unspoken agreement never to cross that line again, and she’s ready to let go of the past and move on.

But Jamie has loved Brynn for a
Published April 18th 2016 by Entangled Publishing, LLC

To ask other readers questions about The One That Got Away, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The One That Got Away

sraxe
My journey through this book can basically be summed up into one gif:

For most of this book (which rates more like a two and a half, but GR's rating system doesn't make that possible), I was on the fence. I wanted to like it, and sometimes I did, but then the characters would do something that would annoy me. To add to that, when they said or did certain things, I could kinda sorta maybe understand where they were coming from, but it still left me very annoyed. And by the end, I was pretty much o
Rhea
Dec 03, 2016 Rhea rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2016
SO CUTE. REVIEW TO COME!
Guilty Pleasures Book Reviews
Slick's review posted at Guilty Pleasures Book Reviews

Friends to lovers...I'm a big believer in couples having a solid friendship before it turns into more and in The One That Got Away this couple has had 10 years of friendship and a few blips to finally begin to figure out that what they feel is more than friendship. I enjoyed this crazy, funny, and sexy story even when there were times I wanted to shake some sense into one or both of the main characters.

Best friends since junior high Jamie Kin
A.J. Pine
Feb 18, 2016 A.J. Pine added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Guys...this book! I can't even tell you how much fun I had writing it. I hope you have as much fun (if not more) joining Jamie and Brynn on their cross-country road trip while they try to navigate not only Route 66...and ten years of buried heartache. Eeep! Galleys go out ANY DAY NOW.

P.S. This is book 1 of 4. To keep up with all things Kingston Ale House, like sneak peeks at covers and blurbs, come join my series group HERE.
seton
Genre: CR

DNF @ 23%

I love the Friends to Lovers trope but this was dull. The MCs were unengaging and there was too much Paralysis by Analysis for me.

Tags: Road trip, Best friends since junior high, Chicago
Amy
Mar 28, 2016 Amy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5, You hung the moon, Stars!!

“I wasn’t in love with her. It took being with her to realize that I was already with the person I loved most. She just didn’t know it yet.”

“I lied to myself–and to you–for a long time. But every day for eleven years, even when I wouldn’t admit it, I’ve loved you. It never lasted with anyone else because you’ve always had my heart.”

I just loved this book to pieces!! This is the perfect spring/summer friends to lovers romance. One of the first things that caught my
Eva • All Books Considered
Mar 27, 2016 Eva • All Books Considered rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf
DNF at 21%

This one was all over the place for me -- the writing was constantly drifting between POV and past and present enough to give me whiplash. I also couldn't even figure out the actual action happening in the story because of poor writing and editing. I thought this would be a second chance romance but it was really a friends to lovers, neither of whom was particularly likeable.

Skip this and read Honey Red by Liz Crowe or When Joss Met Matt by Ellie Cahill instead.
Annie
A bit repetitive at times and Jamie being so stubborn got annoying sometimes but the rest of the book was total catnip for me lol
Wendy'sThoughts
Oct 13, 2016 Wendy'sThoughts marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: A.J. Pine Fans, Romance
Let's see if I have this right...
Friends since middle school...
A clumsy kiss and neither talk of it ever since...

He has always loved her during these past 10 years...
She loves him being her pal and shares she needs to find her special someone now...

Well, of course, this calls for Road Trip...
How else will he be able to show her the way...
Show her He is her HEA...

Sign me up!

For more Reviews, Free E-books and Giveaways
Megan Erickson
Feb 18, 2016 Megan Erickson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, adult-rom
One of my absolute favorite friends-to-lovers romance, with AJ's trademark smooth and witty writing. I adore everything she writes, and she gets better with every book. Brynn and Jamie's story will have you swooning!
Shannon Moore
Mar 30, 2016 Shannon Moore rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc
4.5 stars!

This. This right here is how you write a Friends to Lovers romance! Thank Heavens! I’ve been having such a hard time with this trope lately, and by lately I honestly mean all year. I may have groaned a little when I saw this come up on my list as next to read, but then I thought, “Cool your jets Shannon and have a little hope. You were intrigued enough by the synopsis to read it, so here you are, put on some big girl panties and get to it.” And so I did. There’s only been two other F2
Lia Riley
Feb 18, 2016 Lia Riley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I got to sneak peek this book-so stinking fun and cute. Perfect for Friends fans. Kingston Brewery is like Central Perk...except there's beer. Bonus!

Review to come.
Maria Rose
I've read and enjoyed previous stories by A.J. Pine and I was excited to read this first in the Kingston Ale House series. Craft breweries are becoming more popular as social venues, so it stands to reason that they would start to show up as subject matter in popular fiction. It’s a setting that lends itself well to romance subplots with its more intimate settings and the inclusion of the sensuality to be found in food and drink. This particular story features a friends-to-lovers romance with th ...more
Michelle
ARC provided by publisher in exchange for an honest review

photo b723f42affe9e91da5c9c3d2be0d99_zpsxtviyf71.gif

photo 3b2b293cc939a14425d546b7693e47_zpsd2by7378.gif“The past ten years will always be between us if we don’t see this through. I don’t want to be the guy who stood in the way if there is someone who could make you happier than I could.That was the truth. She meant enough to him that her happiness came first.”

A.J. Pine delivers a smart, witty, and charming read that is wildly entertaining!!!! For all you friends to lover romance trope fanatics, this is one book that you wouldn’t want to
Rê
description

2.5 “Road Trip & Best Friends” Stars

ARC via NetGalley

Thank you, Entangled!

First things first, BEAUTIFUL COVER!!! *swoons*

Okay. Now that that is over...

Take a look at my recent reviews and you’ll know how big of a fan of the “BFF to lovers” trope I am. That was reason #1 I requested “The One that Got Away” when I saw it on NetGalley. I’m sorry to say not even one my favorite book tropes was enough to make me fall for this book.

Jamie and Brynn have been best friends for a really long time, but
Yasaman
Mar 13, 2016 Yasaman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks
I recieved a digital copy of this book via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

When I stumbled upon this book on NetGalley I knew it would be a sweet story and I had to read it. Needless to say I requested it. And got approved short after. After being on a Fantasy/Sci-Fi reading binge for months I needed something to switch things up, so I picked The One That Got Away up and it was the perfect decicion!

When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the
Aimie
The One That Got Away is the first book in The Kingston Ale House series.

The One That Got Away mainly revolves around Jamie Kingston and Brynn Chandler's relationship. They have been best friends since middle school. When Brynn gives Jamie a kiss, there friendship was tested. Planning to never cross the line again, they continue on with their friendship.

Jamie has loved Brynn for as long as he can remember and now he is ready to tell her. However, she now has her sights on someone else. Kno
Give Me Books
Apr 20, 2016 Give Me Books rated it liked it
I had sort of a love / hate relationship with this book.

That sounds worse than it probably is. It's just—Jamie and Brynn infuriated me. I wanted to shake them and knock some sense into them because they kept making these terrible decisions and getting in their own way. It was frustrating and sometimes—at different points throughout the book—I didn't like either one of them very much.

And then, just like that, they'd turn around and be sweet and funny and a little bit silly. They'd have a revelat
Dísir
I wish I could have liked the story as much as I liked the blurb, but it all went sideways once the male protagonist (not hero, in my opinion) started finding more and more insipid excuses for his cowardice and insecurity about getting the girl he's always wanted.

It only took ten years...and even then, it wasn't without a circus-ring of stupid behaviour that somehow came to pushing his forever-girl to meet *another* man so she could decide whether her own feelings for the 'hero' were real or fa
Hilda
Mar 07, 2016 Hilda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Feelings that have been brewing between best friends for a decade is definitely the recipe for off the charts chemistry. Jamie and Brynn can attest to that. Does anyone else feel like timing is everything and also the one thing that is the hardest to get right? Jamie and Brynn have the worst timing, ever. After a failed high school hook-up, the two best friends swept everything under the rug and moved on with their lives. Or so they each thought. Fast forward ten years later, upon a high school ...more
Alexa
Sep 10, 2016 Alexa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2016
It took a while for me to warm up to this book for some reason, but I was grinning by the time I hit the end. Even though I wanted to knock these two idiots together a time or two (or three or more), I thought it was cute.
Riki
Mar 04, 2016 Riki rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love, love, love this book! You get not one, but two of the sweetest grand gestures in the end. Beers, baseball, and a deeply satisfying friends-to-lovers romance make this is top read for me in 2016.
Jessica
May 13, 2016 Jessica rated it it was amazing
Some of my favorite things: beer, travel, and love. How could I not love this book?!?! I loved this story and I thought the beer tasting scenes were so, so perfect. I'm excited to read the rest of this series! <3
Erin
Feb 14, 2017 Erin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The One That Got Away is book one in the Kingston Ale House series by A. J. Pine. As high schoolers Brynn Chandler and Jamie Kingston were best friends. Brynn has her sights set on kissing senior star athlete Spencer Matthews. Her chance is going to come at a graduation party the following night. But things didn’t work out as she had planned. Brynn came down with a case of mono and all her high school dreams are crushed. But coming to her rescue is her best friend, Jamie Kingston. He stays with ...more
Amber Robertson
No full review for this is to come because I can never exactly put contemporaries into words.

The One That Got Away was a super cute novel, but didn't have anything else for it but that. The story line was similar to most contemporaries, and in some parts I found myself confused by the writing. I'm unsure if it was just me and my tiredness or if the circumstances kept changing mid page?

However, Jamie and Brynn were a couple I almost instantly shipped so I needed them together and that is why I
Amanda
This was a pretty sweet best friends-to-lovers story but it had so much contrived drama that dragged out for too long and really brought down the whole book.
Bella Van Overbeke
I loved this story!
Casey
Find this review and more at Ramblings From This Chick

The One That Got Away by A.J. Pine is the first book in her new Kingston Ale House series. Each book is a standalone contemporary story with interconnected charcters. I honestly couldn't wait to read this book after seeing the gorgeous cover and reading the blurb for this one, and it had some really great moments. There were a few things that I did have some issues with, but it was a good story and definitely won't be the last I read from Pin
Leigh  Kramer
Jan 01, 2017 Leigh Kramer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm reading this series out of order so it was fun to see how Brynn and Jamie got together. They were such good friends, even while not being honest about their feelings, that all the almosts and what ifs made my heart ache for them. I wanted Jamie to freaking fight for her already, even while understanding his fear and his desire to be her first choice. The resolution made me smile. And I loved that Pine incorporated her love of the White Sox into the story!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • French Kissed (International School, #3)
  • With Every Breath (Wanderlust #1)
  • His Million Dollar Risk (Take a Risk, #3)
  • 26 Hours in Paris (International Affairs #1)
  • Royal Marriage Market
  • The Finn Factor
  • A Friendly Flirtation (Friends First, #3)
  • Blurring the Lines (Men of the Zodiac, #11)
  • One Night with the Billionaire (Men of the Zodiac, #9)
  • The Trouble with Mojitos (Westerwald Trilogy #2)
  • Next to You
  • Perfect Sense (Perfect Series #1)
  • Descended (The Red Blindfold #1)
  • Love On My Mind (Shades of Love, #1)
  • An Heir Fit for a King
  • The Millionaire Daddy Project (Men of the Zodiac, #5)
  • The Millionaire's Unexpected Proposal (Miami Lawyers #1)
  • The Hometown Hoax (The Hoax Series, #3)
AJ Pine writes stories to break readers’ hearts, but don’t worry—she’ll mend them with a happily ever after. As an English teacher and a librarian, AJ has always surrounded herself with books. All her favorites have one big commonality–romance. Naturally, the books she writes have the same. When she’s not writing, she’s of course reading. Then there’s online shopping (everything from groceries to ...more
More about A.J. Pine...

Kingston Ale House (4 books)
  • Six Month Rule (Kingston Ale House #2)
  • Three Simple Words (Kingston Ale House, #3)
  • Worth the Wait (Kingston Ale House, #4)