Start by marking “Arrival” as Want to Read:
Arrival

Arrival

The Eden Project was a dream.
To start the first extra-solar colony…
To avoid the mistakes of our past…
To start anew.

Three generations, born and raised on a starship hurtling through space.
To never know an open sky…
To never feel the wind on their face…
To never witness the sun rise or set.

Published March 17th 2016 by Ryk Brown

To ask other readers questions about Arrival, please sign up.
Daniel Wayman ATC stands for "All Terrain Cycle". I didn't notice in the book if they say if they are two or three wheel vehicles. I may have just missed it. But…moreATC stands for "All Terrain Cycle". I didn't notice in the book if they say if they are two or three wheel vehicles. I may have just missed it. But the "three wheelers" of the 80's where called ATC's and there's a new two wheel drive two wheel off road cycle being made now that is using the same moniker of ATC.(less)
Kurt Contrary to the other respondent, he did mention *one* character's age. Tony is 21 years old. Adia is younger than that, though we don't know how…moreContrary to the other respondent, he did mention *one* character's age. Tony is 21 years old. Adia is younger than that, though we don't know how young.(less)

Paul
Aug 22, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Pulp grade sci-fi. I can suspend my disbelief as much as anyone else but the author doesn't even try. Antimatter drive - fine, 40% light-speed - sure, I don't mind. There is a line however between implausible for lack of current scientific knowledge and just straight up crazy stupid. They arrive on some random planet that happens to have breathable atmosphere, edible vegetation, recognisable animals complete with viruses (with magical side-effects) that affect humans. The military personnel beha ...more
Sharon
Jun 13, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: sci-fi
I was 9 out of 17(!) hours into this audiobook last year when my Hoopla app abruptly stopped working. The issue was finally resolved a few months ago, so I figured, why not get back to this sci-fi tale. It's a longggggg book ...and it had no reason to be. Maybe the folks over at Hoopla were trying to tell me something.

Author Ryk Brown's writing is painfully descriptive; he sets out detailing every single character action--opening a door, getting out of bed, looking in the mirror, putting on shoe
Michael
Apr 04, 2016 rated it liked it
Adam Robertson
Jan 26, 2017 rated it it was ok
2/5 The plot
1/5 Character development
1/5 Environment (Really a near perfect Earth analog with "edible" flora and fauna?)
2/5 Research
4/5 Writing

The plot seemed cool at the start, but the characters were not appropriate for the roles the author put them in.

Captain Jake (original) who has more training than anyone else (Unlikely) and cannot delegate.
The Second in Command is the least experienced out of the all but questions everyone (Unlikely).
The Maintenance expert is a chauvinist pig, but has a s
Andy Coleman
Apr 28, 2016 rated it liked it
A SIMPLE MAN'S REVIEW:

A story about humanity reaching a new planet in the hopes of colonization - sound familiar? Yes, this has been done before but this book actually does it quite well.

You get a bit of life on the spaceship, a dramatic landing, and the efforts to survive. There are likable characters, a bit of humor, and plenty of adventure. And you get a surprise, although you'll probably figure it out well before getting to the end. But still, it is touching when it happens.

Honestly, movie
Alicia
Apr 03, 2017 rated it liked it
I wish half ratings were possible. I'm rounding this one up.

I downloaded this from Hoopla before a road trip thinking it was the book the movie was based on. It turned out not to be, but it's an interesting story. Some things were pretty original and engaging though the first half was significantly better than the second. The prologue would have been better served as an epilogue.
Michael Edelson
Aug 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book has problems, but I gave it five stars because I enjoyed it as much as I've ever enjoyed any book, which means more than anything else. That's what books are for, after all. Not to be perfect, but to make people feel, to let them live in another world, and to give them enjoyment. So five stars it is. None of the book's issues kept me from enjoying it.

I'll start with the problems. First, it's hard to get through the beginning. It is a very extended scene in which the crew of an explorat
Seno
Oct 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The unexpected twist at the end was everything. I thought it was possible to begin a space travel across light years to discover a new home for human to stay and live there. My mind is full of imaginations of outer space :")
Heather
May 31, 2016 rated it it was ok
The first part of story does not mesh with the rest. It seems to be someone spying on a woman who’s just found out something that has devastated her. By the very end of the book this will make sense, but frankly it’s so far apart that I found the piece openly annoying at first because it was so coy with details. By the end it was shrug-worthy because that first piece didn’t tell us anything that we didn’t learn later. It adds little and increases initial confusion. At least if it had come last t ...more
Tetsu'Go'Ru Tsu'Te
Jul 22, 2016 rated it it was ok
Over all the story was okay, looking back I'm not sure it was worth my time but I was able to finish it. In my opinion the book, to use a cooking analogy was over done in some places and underdone in others. It could really use a thorough going over. Now for some details, avoiding spoilers, the opening scene was unnecessary and didn't grab me like the author apparently hoped. The following scene was slow to build the action and get the readers attention which is probably why the author chose to ...more
Daniel Lee
Mar 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Another epic scifi novel rivaling the genius of the Frontier Saga

I was very impressed with Ryk Brown's latest scifi novel... I have read all of his books, from the mediocre to his brilliant action packed and super fun Frontier Saga. But what "Arrival" lacks in action (at least in comparison to the Frontier Saga, which is practically pure action), it makes up for it with a very realistic story about Earth seeking out a new home across light years and 4 generations of explorers in the hope of begi
Roger Ball
Mar 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
What an excellent read!

Every now and then you pick a book from a new author or even one you know quite well and realize you have a gem. Same thing happened when I first read Andy Weir's "The Martian", James Corey's "The Expanse", or most any book by John Scalzi, to mention some recent writers I've read.

I have enjoyed Ryk's Frontier saga so knew that I would be interested in this stand alone book. I just didn't know how much. Wonderful character development and fascinating storyline and such a g
Mark Pritchard
Jun 17, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The premise is good, a generational colony ship. The story starts out with good science. By that I mean existing technology advanced given the time frame. No warp drive, no replicator/transporter, no energy beams. Simple thrust, orbital mechanics, fuel, electricity, gravity, etc. Really started out great. Then...

First crisis comes along, and all of the characters are behaving like untrained passengers on a long distance busride. Really? This is the best that humanity has to reach out to the star
Roy
Dec 11, 2016 rated it did not like it
J.   ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jul 02, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: own
2.5 maybe even a 3, but someone needs to curb the unrealistic reviews.

I hate it when I don't enjoy a book that so many others do like, it makes me feel like I'm missing something. This book was pretty boring, the dialog and situations seem forced, the science is crap, and unless I missed it there is never a reference to the character's ages. Ryk Brown's Frontiers series is pretty awesome, so I don't know what happened here.

I don't care for the narrator, he makes all the characters seem really o
MICHAEL GALLOWAY
Apr 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Surprise !

I downloaded this story by accident, believe it or not. But, it was bedtime, I had nothing to read , and WTF, I usually go to sleep pretty fast, so I just went with it.
Well, I stayed up late that nite, and used some daylight finishing it. I liked it, and would recommend this story to anyone.
Nick Savage
Jul 28, 2016 rated it did not like it
Un-good. Don't understand the high reviews unless some sort of racket is going on. Childish, annoying and unrealistic characters with behavior and responses that don't match the situations they are in. Everything else is of bad 80's cartoon literary quality. Don't waste your time on this unless you have time to waste.
Kathryn Joy
Mar 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A great old fashioned adventure mystery - tightly paced, interesting characters, emotional well written ending - I was left with warm thoughts of these individuals' futures - what would they be like? How would their experiences impact their descendants?
Stephan
Aug 22, 2016 rated it did not like it
Just couldn't go past the first hour of the Audiobook. Characters behaved very child like for a crew of elites and it just didn't work for me.
Madhu
Mar 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
OMG

Best science fiction I've read so far. Like many other reviewers, I cried at the end. Opened my eyes to the humane aspects of space travel. Well worth the read!
Kimberly
Sep 26, 2016 rated it liked it
Good premise, needs a prequel, would love more about the back story of the people who fled earth.
Christopher Snyder
Dec 29, 2016 rated it it was ok
Sherron
May 13, 2017 rated it liked it
Yes and no. Yes, I immediately thought it was THAT Arrival, and no, it's not.

At first, the writing reminded me of Cathryn Asaro. Lots of blow-by-blow, pedestrian details that don't lend an SF feel. The characters are flat, annoyingly stupid ingenues. I don't mind flat characters, but inappropriately stupid is annoying, esp when they are supposedly scientists, engineers, and adventurers. So I'm not a great fan of this book.

But I kept coming back at it. You ever sniff a carton of milk and it's s
J.D. Heskin
Nov 02, 2017 rated it it was ok
I have no idea why there are high ratings for this book. Maybe people are rating this book high thinking it’s about the movie of the same name but entirely unrelated.

This book is written simplistically with little sophistication and knowledge of space travel or genetics. It reads similar to sci-fi written in the 1950s-60s.

The dialog is like listening to teen girls conversing. And the reader for the audiobook makes it even more difficult to listen to with the tendency to speak like a huffy adole
Jon Spriggs
Mar 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a somewhat unbelievable and mildly unoriginal story, but entirely captivating and well written.

You enter the story with the crew of an advanced lander about to detach from a advanced probe for a generation ship heading to the first unexplored planet that humans will set foot on... But, what's this, there are technical difficulties that lead to some of the crew being separated from the others before the lander detached, and then the probe explodes!

It's a little bit over-detailed, and you
Michael
Sep 21, 2017 rated it it was ok
I’ve been a fan of the author’s Frontiers saga and, when I received an email from his distribution list about this work he previously wrote 25 years ago, I was interested in it and got it using a borrow under the Kindle Unlimited program.

The first 75% of the book was pretty good in detailing some of the struggles of a colony effort, and while wordy here and there the book had good character development. Without having a spoiler the last 25% of the book went off of the deep end and was unbelievab
Dudley
Jul 23, 2017 rated it liked it
A book full of promise, but as I finished it I was left feeling it needed more. The characters are deliberately understated, over time, fleshed out and as a result become more interested. As they become more interesting they come alive and the book starts to come alive with them. By the last third of the book they develop enough that you want to see what happens next, so read on. The pace increases and as the story moves to its conclusion, so the characters fade in impotence.

Arrival works best
Karen
The Eden Project was a dream.
To start the first extra-solar colony…
To avoid the mistakes of our past…
To start anew.
Three generations, born and raised on a starship hurtling through space.
It is up to the advance team to set foot on each of these worlds, conduct their surveys, and send their findings back to the colony ship.
So many questions…
So little time…
Such an enormous responsibility.
Everything must go as planned, for the welfare of all the colonists depends on them.

Maybe is am a totally jad
Homewood Library
Sep 20, 2017 rated it did not like it
This book is LONG! 18 hours of an audio book that could have been edited down to MAYBE 3. Perhaps to compensate for the extra long book, here is a truncated review.

major issues :

female characters that behave like caricatures of teenaged girls

male characters that behave like caricatures of He-Man, Screech, or Daddy Warbucks

writing that suffers from too much asinine detail

plot that suffers from too many random threads

I don't know why I pushed through the whole 18 hours. There was little science an
Kyle
Feb 09, 2018 rated it liked it
Overall a decent story. I enjoyed the plot and twists but it took a while to grab my full interest. honestly the book is just too long. the first half really dragged and nothing really exciting happened until the half way point where things start to get interesting. the story wraps up pretty nicely although I wonder if I missed something on how the main character ended up like he did. I am a huge fan of Brown and the Frontiers Saga, but this is my least favorite so far, but it was still enjoyabl ...more
Where did the bi-peds come from? 1 6 Aug 20, 2016 07:01AM
  • Nothing Sacred
  • Call to Battle (Scrapyard Ship, #7)
  • Chains of Destiny (The Pax Humana Saga, #2)
  • Dead Shift (The Rho Agenda Inception #3)
  • Shadow on the Sun (Hell's Cross, #3)
  • Empire in Crisis (The Empire #1)
  • Quantum Void (Quantum, #2)
  • The Apocalypse Survivors (The Undead World #2)
  • Spinward Fringe Broadcast 3: Triton (Spinward Fringe, #3)
  • Titanium Texicans
  • Girl Genius Omnibus Volume 1: Agatha Awakens (Girl Genius, #1-3)
  • Uncommon Purpose (The Hope Island Chronicles Book 1)
  • Arkadian Skies (Fallen Empire, #6)
  • The Book of Ralph
  • Haraken (Silver Ships, #4)
  • Exiles (The Progenitor Trilogy, #1)
  • Measure of a Hero
  • Vitalis Omnibus
Born in 1960 and raised on an overdose of television, NASA, and science fiction, Ryk Brown has worked as a cook, rock guitarist, stage lighting technician, and paramedic. He currently resides in Northern California with his wife, daughter, and cat. By day he fixes computers, and by night he creates stories.
Having spent his entire life "thinking stuff up", the advent of digital publishing has final
“The ship rumbled as they rode out the last few minutes of their tenth and final braking burn on approach to Tau Ceti Five. Jack looked down at the display at the center of his forward console. He didn’t like the numbers he was seeing, and a discreet glance to his right told him that his pilot didn’t like them either. “A little fast, Lynn?” he asked. She responded with only a nod, her concentration focused on the task at hand. Jack turned his head slightly toward the rear of the flight deck, as if to speak to his engineer. It was a completely unnecessary gesture, since everyone was required to wear their comm-sets during any condition other than green. “Frank, what’s our estimated velocity at the end of the burn?” 1 likes
“As they past the front edge of the vehicle” 0 likes