Start by marking “Love, Lies, and Hocus Pocus: Beginnings (The Lily Singer Adventures #1)” as Want to Read:
Love, Lies, and Hocus Pocus: Beginnings (The Lily Singer Adventures #1)

Love, Lies, and Hocus Pocus: Beginnings

(The Lily Singer Adventures #1)

Saving the world is such a bother when it makes you late for tea.

By day, book-loving wizard Lily Singer manages library archives. By night? She sleeps, of course. In between, she studies magic and tries to keep her witch friend Sebastian out of trouble. Much to her displeasure, he finds it anyway and drags her along with him.

From unmaking ancient curses to rescuing a town
Published April 30th 2016 by Chenoweth Press

To ask other readers questions about Love, Lies, and Hocus Pocus, please sign up.
Lydia Sherrer Haha! Yes! He really does, and I have no one to blame but myself *facepalm*. I mean, I wasn't the illustrator, but I did describe him to my…moreHaha! Yes! He really does, and I have no one to blame but myself *facepalm*. I mean, I wasn't the illustrator, but I did describe him to my illustrator as having a young, boyish face and a mischievous glint in his eyes. But hey, I love him all the same, girly elf-face and all.(less)

Daphne
This book was a delight, plain and simple. It got reccomended to me because I enjoy books by Gail Carriger, and while the Lily Singer books are set in a completely different era and place, I still feel like they have a similar vibe. Lily is a character that is very relatable for many bookish people, I feel, but she is still a strong enough character that I can still see her as her own personality rather than an empty slate I'm supposed to project myself onto. I loved her contrast with Sebastian, ...more
Siobhan
May 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
You know those books that grab you in the moment and then later you question whether you’re really as interested as you’d originally believed. Well, this was one of those books for me. I was super intrigued by the book at first, but once it appeared on my Kindle I decided some of the other books I owned seemed more interesting. Thus, it was a while before I worked my way around to this one.

Such was a mistake. I should have picked this one up straight away, as it’s a wonderful read. Love, Lies,
Lola
Dec 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was such a fun read and I am so glad I picked it up. I heard about this book in one of my facebook groups, added it to my wishlist and then grabbed it a few weeks later when I saw it was free. Before I finished this book I had already bought book 2 as I already knew by then I wanted to continue this series. Love, Lies and Hocus Pocus Beginnings is a fun read filled with adventure and magic set in the current day world. I quickly got immersed in this work and had a lot of fun reading about L ...more
Kate
I can't say I overly enjoyed this book. It's not a bad book, it's just not for me. I didn't like the protagonist and I didn't like the plot set up. Which are the two main components of books, so, yeah. The first third was an interesting story arc but then we have an "interlude" which seemed to maybe be some character building for the secondary character but no, the second two thirds of the book are about this story arc. The first arc bears no relevance to the second and I'm not sure it was even ...more
Olga Miret
Sep 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
I’m not sure why, but I don’t usually read a lot of fantasy. I used to, when I was younger, and I enjoy movies and series about it, but these days I don’t seem to have the patience for some of the world building, complicated names, and tonnes and tonnes of characters that seem to be the usual fare in many of these stories. When I saw this book and read what it was about, something made me check the ‘look inside’ feature on Amazon, and I enjoyed what I read. And yes, I was right. I did enjoy the ...more
Mysti Parker
May 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
My youngest daughter Zoe (11) read this book recently. I was lucky enough to get a signed copy from an event. Zoe loved it and actually read a lot of it while we traveled for spring break. In Zoe's words, here's what she thought of the book:

"I loved this book! It was filled with exciting action and mystery. I would say that there was absolutely nothing I disliked about Love, Lies & Hocus Pocus. You can really picture what is happening as you read. Recommending this book to people who like ac
William
May 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I've been waiting more than three years for the next Dresden Files book from Jim Butcher, and as much as I love Harry Dresden, absence is not making my heart grow any fonder. In fact, I think I have a new favorite wizard: Lilly Singer.

A big thanks goes to author Lydia Sherrer for bringing a new world of wizardry to life in her Lilly Singers books. So far, I have read only the first, Love, Lies, and Hocus Pocus: Beginnings, though the series has thus far expanded to four titles. Book 1 introduces
Jessica
More like 2.5. It was a cute book, and if I wasn’t in a bit of a slump, it would’ve been a quick read.

Maybe I was looking for more of an adult feel, everything just kind of felt juvenile.

I will still continue with the series. I feel like they would be good to read right after a dark and heavy book.
Coco.V
Nov 05, 2017 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: freebies
FREE on Amazon today (11/05/2017)!
Empress
Mar 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fast, fun, and feisty with an endearing heroine

This is an utterly delightful book with two amazing main characters. Lily Singer is probably the world's coolest librarian wizard and Sebastian may seem a bit like an irresponsible man child in the book's opening but he quickly shows depth and intelligence.
The magic system is creative, well developed, and ORIGINAL! As a pagan, I found myself relieved to find a story that makes magic fantastical yet steeps it in a form of logical and scientific foun
Brittany Thibodeaux
Apr 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: readers of urban or paranormal fantasy, or fantasy readers looking for a light, fun read
Introduction
Meet Lily: A librarian in Atlanta who also happens to be a wizard. Her best friend, Sebastian, is a witch with a powerful knack for finding trouble. Add a sprinkle of fae and a dash of wizards, and just a hint of ghosts, and you’ve got a full ensemble.

Conflict and Plot
A tea snob, Lily’s prudish ways are ever on the brink of corruption by her witchy best friend, Sebastian. Between cups of tea and research binges at the library, Lily manages to wrangle the supernatural dilemmas Sebasti
Charlie Catron
Oct 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book was a good read. Nice and easy. It flows well and even though the story did not go deep it was informative and fun to keep moving along without stalling. Looking forward to the next book in the series.
Mary
Jan 14, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I don't know that I like the protagonist very much.
Might read the next in the series. More for Sebastion.
Lola
Mar 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Audiobook review

A few years ago I read this book and immediately feel in love with this series. Now this series is 5 books long already, I recently read book 5 and when the audiobook was released I couldn't resists going back for a re-read. And I am so glad I did as I really enjoyed the audiobook version too.

I loved listening to the audiobook version of this story. I got pulled into the story immediately and the narrator was perfect for this story. I hadn't realized how many details I had forgot
Steph Warren
May 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
*I received free copies of this novella and novel via Kevin Potter’s Magic Through the Ages event on Facebook*

I don’t know if I’ve explained yet my ‘real book’ vs ebook stance, but now seems like the perfect time (bear with me review-fans…there IS a point!). I live in a house with very little storage space, into which I have already squeezed 8 bookcases (6 for me and 2 for the children) at the expense of unnecessary frivolities like clothes and toy storage. Therefore, whilst I still love the fee
Camillea
Love, Lies, and Hocus Pocus is funny, charming, and a quick favourite for me! The moment I began reading I knew I would enjoy the author's writing style. Lydia Sherrer struck me as a talented and natural storyteller. In fact, her work reminds me of a more "adult-ish" version of my childhood favourite, Enid Blyton. Her prose reveals a well-crafted world and her skill as a wordsmith.

The book is told in three parts which I thought to a unique formatting. In spite of the breaks, the novel maintained
Anonymous Shadow
Dec 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
So I have been eyeing this book for some time and suddenly bought it at a whim, because that is such a good decision! Buying books on whim is always a smart choice to me, since these books tend to be more fun than a calculated decision.

I needed a lighthearted read and this felt like it, so it is about time I dive into it, and I must say I had so much fun with it. Not only was it short, but it was quick paced and felt more like short arcs or tv episodes than your usual type of book. I most certa
Mandy Peterson
May 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Not only was this book super fun to read, I also got the added bonus of finding out about Sherrer's unique book formatting. Basically, with book one at least, you get two shorter books in one! LOVE IT! I tell you what: nothing bothers me more than authors dragging things on to increase word count or page count. Please just tell the story! And this author does just that.

Love, Lies, and Hocus Pocus: Beginnings is a collection of two charming tales with likable and relatable characters. Although m
Jessica
Dec 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a fun first book in a series. It took me a while to get into it but as I got further it sped up and I really enjoyed it. I am excited to see where the series goes as I read the next few books.
Cs Jones
Jul 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a supremely fun book. It is not a serious jaunt but a lovely frolic. Lydia (yes I met her) cares that her characters are well represented, imperfect, and relatable.

I enjoy the tension between Sebastian and Ms. B and the effects that has own Lily. I enjoy that the main character is not all powerful, all knowing, and seems to be learning almost as we are.
While the world is fantastic in nature, the situations are ones that seem likely (for that setting).

I also have no problem recommending
Timothy Jernigan
This is the first book that I have read by Lydia Sherrer. It was really fun! Her characters Sebastian and Lilly are delightful and interesting. A great story, I will definitely read more of her works!
JaniceMosinski
Feb 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good Wizardry Entails

This book is mainly about a female wizard always rescuing a male witch who gets himself in trouble all the time.
Carly
Jul 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fun story!

I very much enjoyed this magical world Lydia has created. The dynamic between Lily and Sebastian keeps the reader interested and entertained throughout. Definitely going to continue with this series!
Beth
Oct 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
one of the better books with witches and wizards. fun
Jan Sjostrand
Aug 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved the book and all the trails and trouble that the characters manage to get into also the solving of the mystery
Molly
May 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Very interesting story!
Diana Blick
Great paranormal

This first in a series is charming and thankfully different from the pack. The usual definitions of witch and wizard are junked and turned on their heads. This is a fresh approach with attractive characters and a little different type of adventure. I can't wait to read book two, and recommend this highly as among the best of its kind.
Gea
Aug 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Lily and Sebastian have great interactions, so a good read
J.S. Bailey
Sep 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was a quick, fun read that had me giggling. Onward to Book 2!
eden Hudson
Sep 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Another entertaining read from the Love, Lies, and Hocus Pocus series. Light enough that it's not southern gothic, but the ancillary characters and settings are southern enough that it evokes an aura of the Deep South, both modern day and antebellum. I'm not embarrassed to say I got choked up in a couple times, especially in the time loop. Sherrer knows how to tell a memorable story, but keep it clean enough for nearly any age group to read.
Madison Mega-Mara...: #63 - Love, Lies, and Hocus Pocus: Beginnings 1 1 May 01, 2017 12:14PM

• Per-Bast: A Tale of Cats in Ancient Egypt
  • Night's Gift (Of Cats And Dragons, #1)
  • Cookies, Curses, and Kisses (Blue Moon Bay, #1)
  • Of Blood and Magic
  • Even Witches Get the Blues (Wicked in Moonhaven, #1)
  • The Heart Collector
  • Booke of the Hidden (Booke of the Hidden #1)
  • Wishbone
  • PERfunctory AfFECTION
  • A Fistful of Fire (A Madison Fox, #2)
  • Third Time Lucky: And Other Stories of the Most Powerful Wizard in the World
  • A Tale of the Five Hundred Kingdoms Volume 2: Fortune's Fool\The Snow Queen
  • White Shores (The Vitalis Chronicles. #1)
  • Winterdream
  • The Lady Rogue
  • Hand of Miriam (Bayla and the Golem, #1)
  • Grimm End
  • Wicked Wonderland (The Looking-Glass Curse #1)

The Lily Singer Adventures (5 books)
  • Love, Lies, and Hocus Pocus: Revelations (The Lily Singer Adventures, #2)
  • Love, Lies, and Hocus Pocus: Allies (The Lily Singer Adventures #3)
  • Love, Lies, and Hocus Pocus: Legends (The Lily Singer Adventures #4)
  • Love, Lies, and Hocus Pocus: Betrayal (The Lily Singer Adventures, #5)
“Taking a deep breath, she let the disappointment and frustration of an abysmal date fade away, refocusing instead on all the good things in life. Books. Tea. Chocolate. Cats. More books.” 0 likes