Start by marking “Pilu of the Woods” as Want to Read:
Pilu of the Woods

Pilu of the Woods

A heartwarming story of friendship, loss, and finding your way home from debut author/illustrator Mai K. Nguyen!

Willow loves the woods near her house. They’re calm and quiet, so different from her own turbulent emotions, which she keeps locked away. When her emotions get the better of her one day, she decides to run away into the woods.

There, she meets Pilu, a lost tree sp
Published April 17th 2019 by Oni Press

Start your review of Pilu of the Woods
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
Apr 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was so precious. MY HEART.
Barbie
Mar 27, 2019 rated it really liked it

My thoughts in a nutshell
It was cute! Perfect middle-grade book with a valuable lesson.

The story is about…
Skip over this point if you don't like the sneak peek.
A little girl, Willow, who is dealing with grief. The other kids in the school are bullying her because she likes books and nature. One day she has an awful fight with her sister and Willow runs away into the woods, where she meets the forest spirits who also runs away from home. They get to know each other and find out what will they
Kayla Dawn
Jul 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
So freaking adorable 😭
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
Pilu of the Woods is an MG fantasy graphic novel about a little girl named Willow who gets in a fight with her big sister and goes running off into the woods, where she meets Pilu, a forest spirit. As they adventure together, Willow is forced to come to terms with her "monsters"—the emotions that cause her to lash out at her loved ones or to think poorly of herself—and she must learn how to take care of those feelings and deal with them in a healthy way, without hurting her family.

I don't know
Hannah Greendale
Beautiful illustrations, but a mess of ideas and subplots.
Rachel Reads Ravenously
Beautiful illustrations! And a great story about regulating your emotions, I think lots of middle grade readers will relate to this book a lot.
Noura Khalid (theperksofbeingnoura)
Thank you Netgalley and Oni Press for sending a review copy in exchange for an honest review

Pilu of the Woods is possibly one of the cutest MG graphic novels i have ever read. I don’t think I’ve ever cried while reading a graphic novel before this one. The story was about love, loss and grief, and it was perfect. It really touched my heart and I had some tears spilling by the end of it. The illustrations were gorgeous and I’m definitely going to pick up whatever Mai K. Nguyen writes from now on.
Chad
Dec 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018, netgalley-2018
A heartwarming tale about friendship and how to deal with your feelings. This was obviously targeted for middle school age children, but there's enough there to like about it for all ages. The art is fantastic. It reads like a picture book in graphic novel form.

Willow has a fight with her sister and runs off into the woods. There she runs into a tree nymph that also has run away after a fight with her mother. As Willow helps her find her way home, they become friends while learning how to proce
Maggie
I received an ARC of Pilu of the Woods from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

5 wonderful stars

I don't know how to describe this graphic novel... it is just something else.
The art is stunning and the color scheme and the way it changes throughout the story as the emotions change is really clever.
I found this graphic novel to be a masterpiece.
We follow a young girl (Willow) dealing with the grief of losing her mother, one day after arguing with her sister she runs into the woods near h
Giselle Bradley
Oct 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens-books
I sobbed through this whole book. Pure perfection in story and art.
Dessa Mae
Nov 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
"You know maybe, it's okay to cry sometimes."

WOW. I'm so glad that I discovered this gem on NetGalley!

First of all, I love the art so much! I couldn't stop geeking out about it on every page! I love the colors, which kinda has a watercolor feel to it and the super cute doodly and cartoony illustrations! SO GOOD!

The story is as lovely as the art. The protagonist, Willow, ran away to the woods after having a fight with her older sister. In the forest, she met a tree spirit, Pilu, who also ran
La Coccinelle
I really didn't like this one at all. The drawings weren't my thing, the story was both depressing and confusing, and the book was riddled with typos and odd style choices.

Pilu of the Woods, despite the title and the cover illustration, is actually about a girl named Willow who lives with her father and older sister, Linnea. She had a mother once, but she's dead now, and Willow is always getting in trouble because she doesn't know how to deal with her feelings. She bottles them up (literally) un
Dana Cristiana
Oh my God! This book! So deep and emotional!

5 FULL STARS!

I would love to thank Mai K. Nguyen, Oni Press and NetGalley for this book in exchange for an honest review.

I totally recommend this graphic novel book!
The illustrations are perfect and the story is very heartwarming!
We see the story of Willow, a girl who struggles with her emotions (we can actually see them as little black monsters, which is really accurate and cool!) and she is running away from home after she's got into a fight with her
Rod Brown
May 27, 2019 rated it it was ok
I love the art, especially that adorable dog!

But the story is a little girl's downbeat slog through a forest with a spiritless tree spirit as she comes to terms with loss and grief. Dull and predictable.
Adriana
Jan 02, 2019 rated it it was ok
Willow is feeling lost, figuratively and literally. She's just run away from her sister and her home to the woods where she once spent time with her mom. Her mom who's lost forever.

description

In the woods she meets Pilu, a tree spirit who is lost as well. Willow and Pilu's lives parallel each others in some ways. Willow and Pilu are both angry at their circumstances and don't know a way out their own turbulent anger. As Pilu starts talking about how she feels invisible and how she isn't sure she wants to g
Becca (Coffeebooksandjournals)
Jan 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-read
I received this an ARC copy from Netgalley.
I gave this a 4.5 out of five stars.

I really enjoyed the story and the art of this. It shows the loss of a parent and the hardships with it and being lonely. This is a middle grade graphic novel. Made me feel sad. I liked this and would continue with it if there was another to come out. I recommend this to people of all ages.
Danika at The Lesbrary
Dec 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a super cute book dealing with grief and anger, and how to healthily process those emotions. Mostly, I just adored the art. It's adorable, and all of the depictions of nature were beautiful.

I couldn't tell if this one is LGBTQ? (view spoiler)
Lata
3.5 stars. A slightly confusing start to Willow’s story, which comes together as Willow must help Pilu, a tree spirit return to her home in the woods. Both Willow and Pilu have similar feelings, and learn from each other how to deal with their anger and upset.
I liked the artwork and the use of a restricted palette of colours. The storytelling needed a little firming up, but I liked how Willow had a better handle on her anger and sadness by the story’s end.
Sara
Apr 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a wonderful little fable that perfectly blends fantasy with real world problems in a way that resonates with grownups (me) and kiddos (my son). Mai K. Nguyen has an adorable, very playful hand as an illustrator and as a writer she's got a great handle on the intense, constantly shifting emotions of her two main characters; a young girl named Willow who is dealing with a difficult family situation and the tree spirit she encounters while hiking in the woods. Both girls are fighting with ...more
Melki
Jul 21, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Eh, maybe I'm just too old for this one . . .

I was not moved by this tale of a young girl's learning to cope with grief, and I was not tickled by the gum-droppy cute artwork. Don't listen to me though: I'm sure the younger set, and/or girls who worship unicorns will be enchanted.
Stephanie
Mai Nguyen's book is beautiful. I really liked the illustrations and the muted tones. The book is about loss and grief and anger and it's done very well. I also loved the dog in the book. I wish I had a dog like Chicory! Such a great dog name too!

Amber
Dec 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I received a complimentary copy of this ebook from Netgalley, the author and the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

When Willow gets into a fight with her older sister Linnea and runs away to the woods, she runs into a forest spirit girl named Pilu who has run away from her own family. Will they both be able to find their way home and forgive their families for running away? Read on and find out for yourself.

This was an amazing graphic novel that tells the story about friendship, forgive
Michaela (Journey into Books)
May 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs, graphic-novel
*I would like to thank Netgalley and the publisher for providing me with an eARC in exchange for an honest review*

This graphic novel follows Willow who runs into the woods after a fight with her big sister, they she finds Pilu a tree spirit who has ran away from home and is now last. Willow promises to help Pilu find her way back to her family and along the way Willow comes face to face with her inner feelings and must decide whether she will embrace them or run from them. This graphic novel doe
Travis
Nov 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
*Disclaimer: I received a copy of this book from the publisher through NetGalley for an honest review*

This was a super cute graphic novel. I really enjoyed the art style, and also liked that this small book was able to cover so many different important topics. I will say it was kind of confusing at times when it switched time lines, but other than that I believe this could help a lot of young kids or even some adults learn a few things about themselves!
Holly
Feb 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This graphic novel is so beautiful. The artwork, the story, the message. It’s just wonderful!
Julianne Godoy
Apr 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Graphic novels with a recipe at the end are my weakness.
Jae
Oct 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a hold it to your heart for a minute after you finish it kind of book.
Stephanie
Oct 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book.
The illustrations were utterly gorgeous and the way the text+illustrations worked together made for a very powerful graphic novel. The main character of Pilu of the Woods is a kid named Willow who....is going through some stuff. and she's got some proverbial monsters hanging out with her, and when she gets angry or scared, can find herself lashing out. After a fight with her older sister, she and her puppy wander off to the woods and find a lost tree spirit named Pilu, and Willo
Kylie
Dec 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was one of the cutest graphic novels I have ever read. It deals with something very heavy, children dealing with the death of a parent and the “monsters” inside your head that make you say things you don’t mean.
The art style was completely amazing and I actually took my time to look at each picture carefully even if there were no words on it because it was the beautiful.
This was a very short graphic novel and took maybe half an hour/45 minutes to read. I got so connected to Willow and Pilu.
Megan
May 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
Such a sweet, gentle, and calming graphic novel about the importance of listening to yourself and your emotions and being at peace with your feelings. I LOVE the color palette for this book- the illustrations are breathtaking and this is such a relaxing read. I immediately went for a walk by the river after I finished this!

• Hicotea (Nightlights #2)
  • The Okay Witch
  • Stargazing
  • This Was Our Pact
  • The Tea Dragon Festival (Tea Dragon, #2)
  • The Midwinter Witch (The Witch Boy, #3)
  • Snapdragon
  • Aquicorn Cove
  • Nightlights (Nightlights #1)
  • The Breakaways
  • Sincerely, Harriet
  • The Singing Rock & Other Brand-New Fairy Tales
  • Mooncakes
  • Queen of the Sea
  • Sea Sirens
  • Dewdrop
  • Go with the Flow
  • The Hidden Witch (The Witch Boy, #2)

Articles featuring this book

Want to encourage young readers to keep up their reading habits? Look no further than this year's buzziest YA and middle-grade graphic novels....