Start by marking “Caught Inside (Boys on the Brink #1)” as Want to Read:
Caught Inside (Boys on the Brink #1)

Caught Inside

(Boys on the Brink #1)

Luke believes he has his life figured out…and then he meets Theo.

It should have been simple—a summer spent with his girlfriend Zara at her family’s holiday cottage in Cornwall. Seventeen-year-old Luke Savage jumps at the chance, envisioning endless hours of sunbathing on the private beach and riding the waves on his beloved surfboard. He isn’t interested in love. Though hi
Published September 29th 2016 by Beaten Track Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Caught Inside, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Caught Inside

Start your review of Caught Inside (Boys on the Brink #1)
Lyn❤Loves❤Listening #AUDIOBOOKADDICT
Audio 5+++++ Stars Joe Jameson is definitely a narrator sent from audio heaven 😍

Story 3 Stars

Dear Author,
Please tell me you're working on a book 2. That ending after all of that angst didn't work for me. I need more. I loved your writing, and I loved the MCs. I definitely felt their connection, but I need MORE! Please and thank you. 😍
.Lili.
Aug 14, 2016 rated it it was ok
Caught Inside by Jamie Deacon...did not love it. I love coming of age stories, and when I saw all the praise, it was receiving I immediately wanted to read it. It started off well enough but unfortunately some of the plot and the characters made it hard for me to enjoy completely.

Why it didn't work for me:

-The secondary characters.
Giles (Theo's best friend) and his girlfriend Meredith join Theo, Luke, and Zara on their holiday early on in the book. It wouldn't have been a big deal except I fou
True Loveislovereview
Apr 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016, lgbtq
5++ Great way of writing. The expression, the flow, the waves... I can visualize everything, which is just awesome!
The details are everywhere, from fasting a not cooperating seatbelt to watching someone dissolve like sea spray on the breeze. Those lines.... make this book incredible beautiful.

No unnecessary drama. No excessive behavior. But real feelings and real behavior.
I did wanna hug one person and slam the other. But they were all real and standing strong.

The story took place mostly in one
Pam
Sep 21, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: ya, scribd

It's well-written and a quick read, but I can't give it three stars since I didn't actually *enjoy* it. Mostly because there's way more of the bad kind of tension than the good kind.

The teenage drama didn't bother me from, like, a moral perspective or anything. I mean...they're teenagers. The MC actually handles the situation with his "girlfriend" pretty well from that standpoint -- if you take the initial decision out of the equation :)

But I didn't feel like there was enough buildup b
Rebecca Crunden
❧ audiobook review

Another Joe Jameson narration and an absolute find. [Other great Jameson narrations I've reviewed are: An Honest Man, The Prince of Thorns, The Last Romeo and The Magnificent Sons.]

THIS BOOK IS SUCH CUTE ROMANCE, UGH. ❤❤❤ Luke and Theo are fantastic together and so adorable. They have such good chemistry, it's insane.

This is a perfect summer romance read! Beaches and new love. And the constant surfing descriptions just made me think of Shelter.

Totally a compliment, FYI. I ado
Teal
A well-written young adult novel by a first-time author. As Luke and Theo meet and fall for each other, they're pretty much an object lesson in how to make a bad decision -- and then compound it to make the situation ever so much worse for everyone. I found the story intermittently frustrating, but that was probably due to the age/immaturity/inexperience of the characters (all of them 17 to 20-ish years old). But overall I was impressed enough that I plan to keep an eye on this author and buy th ...more
Larry Benjamin
Jun 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Seventeen-year-old Luke Savage is good looking, oddly charming and though he has a pretty, wealthy girlfriend, Zara, he doesn’t seem particularly in love. With her anyway. His first, and apparently only love is the sea—and surfing. Then he meets Theo, Zara’s openly gay cousin and best friend, and everything changes. And the story gets really interesting.

I thought surfing, the sea, was a perfect metaphor for the rush and confusion of Luke’s unexpected feelings for Theo.

Deacon does a good job desc
Jennifer Oliveira
*ARC received from the author*

Luke thinks he's going to spend a peaceful summer vacation at his girlfriend's cottage, the one that happens to have a beach where he can surf. Upon meeting her cousin Theo, however, he realizes things aren't going to be as easy as he'd thought...

I have mixed feelings about this book, but all in all I'd say I loved it. I reacted to it. Everytime there was tension, I felt it. Everytime something sad happened, I wanted it to be solved. Everytime the main character did
A.M. Leibowitz
I initially declined when I was first offered the chance to review this book because it's not typically one I would pick up. I assumed it would be wealthy people's angst, a gay-for-you plot, and too much adolescent romance. I am happy to eat my words now that I have read and fallen in love with this book and the characters. Yes, even the unlikable ones.

First of all, even though there is a romance, this is heavily character-driven. We are treated to Luke's self-discovery, along with all his mista
Annie Woods
Jun 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
“One day you’ll fall for someone so hard you won’t know what hit you.”

Oh my gosh the angst, the passion, the forbidden love… this book is intense!

Caught Inside by Jamie Deacon is the story about seventeen-year-old Luke Savage who is about to spend the summer with his girlfriend Zara at her family holiday cottage in Cornwall. But what should have been a simple, lazy, summer spent sunbathing and surfing, turns into a whirlwind of desire and betrayal and a discovery that makes Luke question eve
Suki Fleet
Apr 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Beautifully written and engaging coming of age tale. The setting was wonderful and the writing really shone in evoking a real feel of the Cornish coast and the sea. I could really imagine being with Luke on his board out on the waves, and I love that sort of sensory imagery.

I loved that Theo had secrets and I desperately wanted to know what had happened in his previous relationship—this was a really interesting and well thought out subplot!

The ending was realistic and satisfying, and I’m really
Molly Ringle
Mar 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lgbtq
I was lucky enough to read this book pre-release, and ate it up avidly. A gorgeous Cornwall seaside setting, and a group of characters harboring secrets both shameful and romantic—what more could I want? I fell in love instantly, and adored the emotional ride all the way through to the triumphant end.

The writing is tight and alive, and the group thrown together on holiday is rife with awkwardness and tension in all the fun ways. I especially fell for Theo and Luke, our star-crossed lovers, trapp
Mia Kerick
Jun 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
In wave scoring, Caught Inside, by Jamie Deacon, would be a perfect ten. But I’ll give it five gripping stars. The descriptive language is flowing and addictive. The characterizations are genuine and layered. The dialogue is realistic and dynamic.

And the plot… Deacon took me on a raw emotional ride, rife with risk and regret, betrayal and self-discovery. And like a wave, the journey to shore was unpredictable. I wasn’t certain where the story would lead me, as Deacon kept switching directions u
Crisanda (Sapphire)

Caught Inside is the story of Luke, who goes to spend the summer with his girlfriend Zara and her cousin Theo and ends up falling for him.

From the way Caught Inside is written, you'd never guess that it is a debut novel. Jamie Deacon's writing style is so beautiful and perfect, I could picture the story unraveling before my eyes with vivid clarity - from the stunning cottage and the beach to the tiny details in Theo's drawings. I could almost smell the salt in the air!

The story was swe
Tara Spears
Jan 08, 2017 rated it liked it
I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

This has been a hard book to review. I dislike writing anything negative about a new author's first book, but I need to start from the top here.

The purpose of a prologue is to OUTLINE an event that happened prior to the beginning of the story, something the author felt was crucial to understanding the course their story was about to take. For instance; how the zombie apocalypse came to be, a war that changed the world or protag dist
Mar 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I had the honour of reading a very early copy of Caught Inside. I loved it! It made me laugh, it made me cry and more than once it made me put my kindle down and take a moment! I'm looking forward to rereading the final book once it's published.

I rooted for these characters and I cheered them on. I thought it was a very honest and believable story. Some of the characters' actions and behaviours surprised me and some were exactly as I expected and all were very faithful and relevant to the book.
Kate Kid
Dec 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
To start this off, this book was fantastic. I enjoyed it from the moment I opened the book and read the first line. The book was written in Luke's point of view and it sometimes switches back and forth between the present and a memory that he had that went along with the situation present. It was natural, like how people actually think. It took a second to realize that it was a memory that he was thinking about, but once you got it, it was a wonderful ride. I always love to know how a character ...more
Diverse
Nov 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Coming out stories always make me nervous. Not because I think the writing will be bad but I worry about the characters. In this instance that's Luke! I'm an emotional person what can I say?!

Luke goes on holiday with his girlfriend Zara and this summer is literally life changing for all the characters involved. Zara's family is filthy rich while Luke is not even in the same financial universe. But when Zara asks him to come on a trip with her (accompanied by her cousin Theo) he says yes.

Theo is
Clarene
Sep 05, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am not a fan of young adult books. I am also not a fan of cheating. I cannot fault this book for those plot points since it was almost a blind read. The writing was good, the characters were not very likable to me for the above mentioned plot points. I struggle with lying, I struggle with cheating so I did not find them likable but it really has nothing to do with writing style or the author, just the topic. This is not a book that I would have read without this challenge. I feel horrible abou ...more
Kia Shiru
May 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
OMG LOVED LOVED LOVED this!!!

Beautifully written story and it's a really good summer read, perfectly for reading on the beach. I totally read way too late into the night a few times because I couldn't put the book down.

Teenage drama, check.
Cute confused boys, check.
Me, in love with this book, check!
C. Kennedy
Aug 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful must read for young men looking to find themselves between the pages of a book.
Carra
Sep 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Caught Inside was a very enjoyable mature young adult/early new adult story that left me wanting to know more about where the characters went from the end of the book on. It's a story about discovering one's sexuality and dealing with that while at the same time navigating a tricky family situation and also coming out.

I really like the main characters of Theo and Luke. Luke seemed very mature for his age, which was a relief considering most books I've read with characters in this age group tend
JoAnna G
Sep 19, 2016 rated it liked it
I initially wanted to give this book 2 stars, I however and giving it 3 based on my love for Luke. This was an ok read, I read it in one go.

Luke lives for the waves. He is a typical boy enjoying his summer holiday with his girlfriend Zara and her cousin Theo. He loses himself out there with nothing but him, the water, and his spitfire.

I could not connect with Luke and Theo as a couple at all. Theo hides himself away and won’t talk about his past. Luke and Theo had formed a friendship that fal
Kelly H. (Maybedog)
3.5

I hate hate hate (view spoiler) Because of that, I hated most of the characters. The MCs were selfish, immature, and single-minded. Luke let Zara think everything was her fault. He felt guilty to a point, but not a lot, and he was so mean to her at points. I actually disliked Giles less than I disliked Luke, although that's not saying much.

Meredith was OK but she was a dishrag and was a part of keeping from Theo the fact that (view spoiler)
Tiffaney
Dec 24, 2016 rated it liked it
This story was just OK.

Luke and his gf Zara come from two different worlds. She comes from a wealthy family and he comes from a single parent home who's mom works two jobs.

Zara invites Luke to spend the summer at her family's vacation home with her cousin Theo. Zara has plans to spend some much needed alone time with her bf and while Luke likes Zara enough he's more interested in spending time surfing than being with Zara.

This leaves a really bad taste in my mouth.

When the couple first arriv
Arlyn
Sep 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was a coming of age read that featured an ecclectic cast of characters who learn about love and life while on holiday in scenic Cornwall, England. I did enjoy this story overall though I did find it slow at times. While I was never quite emotionally invested in the characters, I did grow to care for them as the story progressed.

I was rooting for Luke and Theo, but I have to admit, Theo was an acquired taste. His behavior when his good "friends", Giles and Meredith were visiting was almost u
Tonya Royston
May 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is very different than anything I've read - and that is very likely because I've never read a coming of age story centered around a gay character. That said, I loved this book! The writing was amazing and so easy to follow that I got sucked in every time I picked it up to read another chapter. It's very hard to believe this is a first novel by this writer. I also loved the emotions in the story. It gave me a real sense of what Luke was going through as he found himself drawn to Theo. A ...more
Russell J. Sanders
Apr 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
As a writer, I am always searching for the perfect words, hoping I can replace the ones I use over and over with much better choices. All too often, I feel I search in vain for those magical words. But Jamie Deacon, in his novel Caught Inside, does it effortlessly. I am enthralled with his carefully chosen vocabulary, his ability to use just the perfect word to express what he wants, to compose the most lovely metaphors. His writing is skillful and, oftentimes, exquisite. Just to revel in his pr ...more
Mike Adams
Dec 22, 2016 rated it liked it
Luke goes on holiday with his girlfriend Zara, whose parents have a summer house by the beach in Cornwall. When he meets her cousin Theo, more sparks of interest fly than his supposed love of Zara. With the addition of two friends, Giles and Meredith introduce rivalries, class dissonance between the rich and middle-class kids. A few additional characters toward the end make for an angsty 20something drama about coming out, and a somewhat abrupt resolution.

The title is apt, especially when a rain
Kari Spear
Apr 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is a wonderful tale of teenagers on holiday, caught in the universal struggle to find out who they are and how they fit into their world. Many layers of story keep the tension throbbing. Luke and Theo have vastly different backgrounds; they have family members and friends who don't accept their love for each other; and each has suffered a tragedy that he is struggling to accept. Cutting even more deeply, their relationship forces them to weigh a friend's trust against what is in their heart ...more
« previous 1 3 next »

• Leaving Isn't the Hardest Thing
  • Date Me, Bryson Keller
  • Silvers Hollow
  • The Princess Who Saved Herself
  • Restored (Enlightenment, #5)
  • La Nouvelle(s) (Elles, #1)
  • Just Friends (Never Just Friends, #1)
  • Rectangle Time
  • Only Mostly Devastated
  • Cheer Up: Love and Pompoms
  • Bat Boy (Easton U Pirates, #1)
  • First Time
  • When We Were Strangers (One More Thing #0.5)
  • The Experiment
  • Boy Shattered
  • So You Want To Build a Library
  • Fourteen Summers
  • The Music of What Happens
See top shelves…
Born in 1982, Jamie Deacon lives close to the River Thames in Berkshire, England, and is a full-time author of young adult fiction featuring characters across the gender and sexuality spectrums. When not writing, Jamie loves to read, play board games, and solve cryptic crosswords.

Jamie’s debut novel, Caught Inside, was published in 2016 to much acclaim, including two Rainbow Awards. It was also no