Start by marking “Snowdrift and Other Stories” as Want to Read:
Snowdrift and Other Stories

Snowdrift and Other Stories

Previously titled Pistols for Two, this edition includes three recently discovered short stories. A treat for all fans of Georgette Heyer, and for those who love stories full of romance and intrigue.

Affairs of honour between bucks and blades, rakes and rascals; affairs of the heart between heirs and orphans, beauties and bachelors; romance, intrigue, escapades and duels at
Published October 20th 2016 by William Heinemann (first published 1960)

To ask other readers questions about Snowdrift and Other Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Snowdrift and Other Stories

Start your review of Snowdrift and Other Stories
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
This is one for the old-fashioned romance fans, where handsome dukes, love at first sight, and ladies subsiding meekly into strong, manly embraces are a plus. :) Snowdrift and Other Stories is a lighthearted and sweet anthology of fourteen Georgette Heyer short stories for fans of traditional Regency romances, including three newer stories that haven't been published in many years.

There are grey-eyed heroes and heroines galore ... seriously, what was GH's thing with grey eyes? I started
abby
Dec 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
The stories were cute, although a couple missed an opportunity to help two competing suitors to realize they were really in love with each other (is gay Regency romance a thing? leave me a comment if you have recs). My favorite stories were "A Husband for Fanny" and "A Clandestine Affair" because I like when the old chick (for Regency times, at least) gets the man. Quite a few of the stories had instalove, as in a grown man "offering for" a nineteen year old girl he's known for 45 minutes, but, ...more
Emer (A Little Haze)
Reading this as part of the 2019 AtoZ challenge with my book group. This corresponds to the E prompt to push the envelope and to read a book outside of my comfort zone. For this I've chosen regency romance....
I KNOW.
I CAN HEAR YOU ARGUE THAT AUSTEN IS REGENCY BUT NO!!
When Austen wrote her books were contemporary. She wrote what she was familiar with. Plus to me her plots are more than simply romance. Her writing was witty and incisive, she was a wonderful creator of fascinating characters and
Umut Rados
Mar 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Loved these cute romance stories> Each one of them had a surprise in it. It's just a lighthearted, fun read to uplift your mood :)
Heyer's regency romances and her writing is a delight to read.
Sherwood Smith
My copy of Pistols for Two was bought used back in the mid-seventies, and disintegrated after I read and reread it while suffering the throes of morning sickness back in 1981. I reread it so many times that when the yellowed paperback fell entirely to pieces, I didn't replace it, thus I hadn't reread the stories in over thirty years.

So when this new edition, with three added stories, turned up on NetGalley, I grabbed it. And I could immediately see why I reread it so much while so sick: the
Caz
If youre already a fan of the great Georgette Heyer the author who pretty much invented the Regency Romance single-handedly then it wont take much persuasion from me to send you in the direction of this newly re-issued collection of the authors short stories, most of them written for and published in prestigious womens magazines of the 1930s. There are fourteen in this collection, of which eleven were previously published in the anthology Pistols for Two; Snowdrift features those plus three ...more
Andrea
This was a wonderful collection of short stories from one of my all-time favorite authors! Previously published as Pistols For Two, this anthology contains three "new" stories that were recently re-discovered.

There is a little bit for everyone in there: second chances, friends meeting at dawn over a woman both love, insta-love (even a very spontaneous engagement after all of half a day), a little gothic horror, and overall plenty of good fun and romance. Some of these stories I personally found
Jacob Proffitt
Sep 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, chaste
I know I've read most of these before because I've read Pistols For Two. Not that I recalled, though. They're very short stories, likely because they had to fit in the magazines that originally published them. I've put in an update for each story, so you can read those individual ratings if you're interested. As a collection, this is a very solid group. A couple in the middle were disappointing, but otherwise these stand up very well. Additionally, I'm glad to find that the three "new" ones are ...more
Ana
My 34th Georgette Heyer

I liked the introduction, but most of these short stories have been published before in the Pistols For Two collection, which I read and enjoyed, so I skipped straight to the newly discovered and published stories.

"Pursuit" - the Earl of Shane and Miss Fairfax, governess to his ward, are on a mission to stop an elopement. (2 stars)

"Runaway" - two childhood best friends decide to elope in order to avoid Barbara's forced engagement to an older man. (3 stars)

"Incident on the
Teresa
Mar 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Very very enjoyable read. There were one or two stories that I wasn't keen on but not many. A must read for any Heyer fan.

This time I'm giving it four stars. Still a great read.
Barb in Maryland
Lovely short stories. GH could write as well in the short form as she did in novel length.
This book is best when savored in small doses--a story a day is about the right pace. I remember when I first read these as 'Pistols For Two': I gulped down the book in one sitting, all the stories blurring together. Second time around I read them one a day--much better experience!
GH makes use of a number of classic tropes in these stories, rarely limiting herself to just one per story. We have multiple
Namera [The Literary Invertebrate]
Of course, in any anthology the stories will be a little hit-and-miss. But this is Georgette Heyer. Heyer at her worst is better than most others at their best.

Insta-love, duels, and Gretna Green flights abound.

[Blog] - [Bookstagram]

photo c l i m b C2A0e v e r y C2A0m o u n t a i n 2_zpsykn9gbgr.png
Nikki
Received to review via Netgalley; publication date 3rd October 2017

Ive been a fan of Heyers Regency romances and adventures for a while now, so when I saw this was Read Now on Netgalley, I confess I pounced. Its actually the collection Pistols for Two (which I hadnt read yet) but with three extra stories from early in Heyers career.

While Heyers short stories arent precisely what I like in a short story something with a twist, something maybe a little unpredictable, something packed into as
Damaskcat
Oct 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you already own 'Pistols for Two' you need to be aware that the same stories in that volume appear again in this volume as well as three stories which haven't seen the light of day for nearly a century.

I first read most of these stories many years ago and I enjoyed them just as much on re-reading them. They all show a lightness of touch which isn't always present in the author's novels. In some of the stories the elements of later novels can be traced where Heyer was clearly starting to work
Sophia
The Queen of Regency Romance wrote so many delightful tales and I was in high anticipation when I saw the release of this short story collection featuring all the stories released in the Pistols for Two anthology and three brand new short story releases. A young lady anticipating her first ball could not have been in a bigger fervor than me. I enjoyed my re-acquaintance with the Pistols for Two stories and these other sparkling new ones.

Twelve stories in all, Snowdrift and Other Stories
Karina Webster
Dec 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Im so glad i saved this wonderful read until Christmas. Reading stories containing snowy scenes was made all the more fun by the snow outside my window.

This is the first short story collection that has held my interest all the way through. Although I loved certain stories more than others, i actually *liked* them all. Which I think is a first for me! Every story was different enough that it didnt feel at all repetitive and each heroine and hero felt different from the last. I really enjoyed the
QNPoohBear
Pistols For Two with three newly discovered short stories.

I liked the title story "Snowdrift" where a lady is stranded at an inn without her injured maid but is determined to move on and claim what she believes is hers. The hero is kind and takes the time to help the heroine. I like that they get to know each other before he asks to pay his addresses. Even though they have only known each other briefly, I think being snowbound together must accelerate the process of getting to know you!

"Full
Shiloah
When you prolong the finishing of the last story because you dont want it to end you know its an excellent book. ...more
Andrea
Picked up a free copy of this from NetGalley.

It's been an age since I read Heyer's Pistols for Two collection, and so this reprint with free extra stories may as well have been a whole new book for me - I didn't remember any of it.

But perhaps that's the nature of short romance stories - individually they're pleasant but rarely memorable. This collection would probably be better titled "Coaches for Two" - there's barely a story where the characters aren't travelling from one place to another, or
Suranjana
Nov 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Classic Heyer in bite size pieces. I think this collection was like a bunch of tulips and baby's breaths. It was light, refreshing read. Many of the short stories were plots of novels Heyer would write in future. I think nobody writes traditional regency romance better than Heyer. Her language is close the convoluted, ornate, formal prose of the period which we don't see in regency romances now. Her characters are far more rigid and proper. The stories are not high literature like Austen, they ...more
Lexxi Kitty
Received this ARC from Netgalley and Sourcebooks Casablanca for an honest review

This is a collection of short stories - many of which, if I read the introduction correctly, were published in the 1920s and 1930s. I've previously read most of these short stories. Most, maybe all, through original sources (as in, the original magazines or newspapers the stories appeared in - no I'm not super old, I read copies).

Snowdrift
This is one of those stories I've not previously read.

The story starts off
Li
Well, yes, I do already own Pistols For Two, but not in ebook format and I haven't read it for ages and there are three new short stories in this one... I can find it amazingly easy to justify book purchases sometimes.

Like any other short story collection, it's a bit of a mixed bag, with some stories better than others, and if you're familiar with Heyer's novels, I don't think any of the plots will surprise you. But I had fun re-reading the previously-published shorts and enjoyed the new ones -
Nick Imrie
If I could give you one piece of advice for reading this short story collection it would be:

Don't read them all at once.

Each of these is a sweet little tale by itself, but take too many at once and you are sure to have a terrible Heyer overdose! The book is crammed with Heyer tropes: jaded older marquis, carriages breaking their axles, elopements that are not at all the thing, twittering old maids, feisty cross-dressing ladies, love at first sight, annoying brothers!

Heyer's real skill as a
Tia
I have a love of Georgette Heyer as I do Jane Austen. Although, I found Ms. Heyer later in life, I feel, in this case, better late than never. I was overjoyed when I saw that a new book was being released and knew I'd have to read it. There were only 2 stories I didnt prefer. This was a wonderful read.

Thank you to Sourcebooks Casablanca via Netgalley for the eArc.
Elaine
Jan 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it! Charming short stories from one of the most favourite authors. There is an elegance in the writing, which makes it easy on the eyes. It's a book that I just fell into, almost like being there in the moment.
A book of stories, which three are newly found. I will read this again and again.
Elegance personified!
5*****
Helen
Oct 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: short-stories
I always love spending time in Georgette Heyers world; with duels, masked balls, elopements, high-stakes card games and lively period slang, her novels provide perfect escapism and based on this collection, so do her short stories. Originally published as Pistols for Two in 1960, Snowdrift and Other Stories contains eleven of Heyers tales of Regency romance and adventure plus three additional stories not included in the earlier book.

I found these stories so enjoyable and so much fun, it was
Susan
Apr 11, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, library
This collection of Georgette Heyer short stories includes all the stories from Pistols for Two plus three previously uncollected stories: Pursuit, Runaway Match, and Incident on the Bath Road. Are the new stories as good as the rest? Perhaps not, but they are still a lot of fun when you are in the mood for Regency romance leavened with humor.
Susan in NC
Aug 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars, if only because some were too short, and others too predictable if you read too many in a row - but required reading for any Heyer fan! I really enjoyed this reread and tried to stretch it out, only doing a story or two a day to make it last! Also, if you read too many in a row they run together a bit. Still, great fun.
Katrina
Nov 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Entertaining light reading, perfect for bedtime.

Holly
Jan 17, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley, 2018
I love Georgette Heyer regency romances and mysteries. I'm very happy that I had the chance to read some of her short stories . I liked some more than others and one of them I would have loved as a full length novel. I will admit, I'm not a big fan of short stories but I didn't think I could go wrong with Heyer. Would recommend if you're a fan of hers.

*Thank you to the publisher and Net galley for a copy in exchange for an honest review .
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Bodies from the Library: Lost Classic Stories by Masters of the Golden Age
  • Georgette Heyer
  • Acting on Impulse – A Short Story (Heyer Short Stories Book 5)
  • Georgette Heyer's Regency World
  • A Right Honorable Gentleman
  • The Beau and the Bluestocking
  • A Christmas Tragedy: A Short Story
  • Under the Mistletoe
  • A Christmas Promise
  • The Private World of Georgette Heyer
  • A Timeless Romance Anthology: Sarah M. Eden British Isles Collection
  • Penny for Your Secrets (Verity Kent, #3)
  • The Duke and the Spinster (The Nettlefold Chronicles #1)
  • Curious Toys
  • Patience for Christmas
  • The Opium Purge (Lady Fan Mystery #3)
  • The Lacemaker (Silver Linings Mysteries #2)
  • The Tall Stranger
Georgette Heyer was a prolific historical romance and detective fiction novelist. Her writing career began in 1921, when she turned a story for her younger brother into the novel The Black Moth.

In 1925 she married George Ronald Rougier, a mining engineer. Rougier later became a barrister and he often provided basic plot outlines for her thrillers. Beginning in 1932, Heyer released one romance