Start by marking “Hillary Rodham Clinton: Dreams Taking Flight” as Want to Read:
Hillary Rodham Clinton: Dreams Taking Flight

Hillary Rodham Clinton: Dreams Taking Flight

3.75  ·  Rating details ·  142 Ratings  ·  41 Reviews
When Hillary was young, she wanted to be an astronaut, to soar as high as the stars above. She kept reaching up and up as she grew. There were people who told her no. But she didn't listen to them. There were people who didn't think she could do it. But she believed in herself. And Hillary has been making history ever since. This is the inspiring story of a girl with dream ...more
Published August 26th 2008 by Simon Schuster Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Hillary Rodham Clinton, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hillary Rodham Clinton

Ruth
Nov 05, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2008, own
As a young girl, Hillary Rodham dreamed of being an astronaut. Although life would ultimately take her down a different path, her dreams served her well later in life. In Hillary Rodham Clinton: Dreams Taking Flight, author Kathleen Krull and illustrator Amy June Bates share the story of a little girl who followed her dreams and became an inspiration to millions of women of all ages.

Beautiful watercolor art and inspiring quotations accompany Krull’s writing. We follow Hillary through her early e
Robyn Schaefer
Mar 06, 2010 rated it did not like it
I came upon this “ultra-modern” picture book biography while browsing the nonfiction section of my local library. The cover is great -- a young, freckled Hillary, staring up at the sky, looking wise beyond her years. Based on the topic and cover, I was expecting big things from this book. Unfortunately, I have to say it did NOT deliver.

I enjoyed the beginning, which portrayed Hillary as a young girl, and couldn’t help but chuckle when Hillary lost for president of her junior class and the boy s
Emily Ann Meyer
Sep 25, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2008, children, feminist
This was a gift from a dear friend who knows what a strong supporter of Hillary I am. It was adorable, inspiring, and I would recommend to any mother (or father) of a daughter (or son!) about doing what you believe and not taking no for an answer. I'll treasure it.
529_allie
Nov 08, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: infos-bios
Hillary Rodham Clinton grew up during a time that girls weren't allowed to do everything that boys were. After writing to the national space agency to volunteer she found out that girls could not be astronauts. Undeterred and with the never ending support of her parents, she continued to go after her dreams. Hillary was a star student and a natural leader. When running for vice president of her class a boy said she was "really stupid if she thought a girl could be elected president." It seems th ...more
Sara Grochowski
It's interesting to read this older (recently revised) title next to the new picture book biography, Hillary, from Winter & Colon. This book feels more appropriate for slightly younger readers, but the recommended age level for both books starts at 5 years. The historical information about HRC's life included at the back of this book is a notable inclusion; there's a wealth of information packed into only a few short pages, which allowed me to better appreciate the text!
Nance
Mar 02, 2009 rated it liked it
A good story about girls and never giving up.
Alison
Apr 22, 2016 added it
Title: Hillary Rodham Clinton: Dreams Taking Flight

Author: Kathleen Krull

Illustrator: Amy June Bates

Genre: Biographical Picture Book

Theme(s): Bravery, Courage, Dreams, Flight, History

Opening Line/Sentence: “Once there was a girl who wanted to fly.”

Brief Book Summary: This is a picture book about the life of Hillary Rodham Clinton. It is presented very nicely and without just listing fact after fact. It’s starts off telling about a girl who wanted to be in space, and then really does “fly” high
David Schaafsma
We have a lot of picture books around the house from the library, many of them specifically to honor Women's History Month. My wife is voting Hillary (I'm feeling the Bern, as they say, though compared to the Evil Clown Car Opposition, I will probably be voting Hillary, too, if necessary, in spite of what Green Party rep Jill Stein says), and the ten year old girl L is all about the Hillary news. Friendly competition, shall we say, among lefties? But my view is that she is kinda a right of cente ...more
Ms.Vee
Jun 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
What a great book! It is a Biography about Hillary Rodham Clinton but it also is a great source or inspirational quotes about working hard and not giving up. The book is filled with lovely illustrations by Amy June Bates that are inviting and clearly readable with the text. The words written by Kathleen Krull work smoothly together to tell the story of a person who did not let limitations in society from stop her reaching her dreams. This text is a great example of a strong female character whic ...more
Holly
Children’s biography
Target audience: Grades K-3

Originally published in 2008, then revised in 2015, Hillary Rodham Clinton: Dreams Taking Flight, is a picture book biography. The book extends over Clinton’s whole life, starting when she was a child, ending with her as Secretary of State.

Strengths:
-Good illustrations
-Great message about gender equality
-The back of the book contains longer explanations about each page from the picture book portion.

Weaknesses:
-At only 32 pages, the picture book doe
Donna Drew
In this story we learn of a young girl who has the dream of becoming an astronaut in a time when certain opportunities were not available to women. Young Hillary continues to dream helping to define the roles of women in government. She shakes hands with Martin Luther King Jr., becomes a lawyer where her goal is to help neglected children, serves as First Lady, serves as a senator, and is chosen to be secretary of state. I feel the most important role in this story is her role as a mother. When ...more
Earl
Jan 11, 2016 rated it liked it
There's a whole slew of picture books focusing on presidential hopeful Hillary Rodham Clinton that have just come out. It is incredible to read about all her accomplishments- and what else she has yet to accomplish.

Michelle Markel's Hillary Rodham Clinton: Some Girls Are Born to Lead seems to be the most kid-friendly (with LeUyen Pham's signature illustrations) with an invitation for girls to pave their own way despite obstacles. I appreciate all the details Pham includes and the explanations of
Kara Walker
Jul 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
This children's book tells the story of Hilary Rodham Clinton's rise to power in American politics. As a young child, Hilary always wanted to be an astronaut, but it was only 1961 and women still couldn't take certain jobs. Throughout her school years she was a great debater and “In high school she was elected vice president of her junior class. But when she ran for president, she lost. One of the boys she ran against said she was ‘really stupid if she thought a girl could be elected president.' ...more
Bree
Aug 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Children's books about HRC are powerful. Some of her greatest work as a politician, and the consistent heart of her mission, has always been guarding and advocating for the interests of children. Kids deserve to hear about politicians who have their interests at heart. Girls deserve to hear about real-life female politicians with skin "like a rhinoceros" succeeding in a male-dominated field.

Krull's book is beautifully illustrated, and alongside each page's text, there are small encouragements i
Kalee Maneth
Sep 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: el230
Even for those that are not big fans of Hillary Clinton, I think this book would still be interesting. It gives a short overview of her life. I believe that it will be a great book for a teacher to have in their classroom library, because it talks about the road Hillary takes to run for president. Even if she does not win it still has a great message behind it. My favorite part was the beautiful pictures throughout the book and the little notes of motivation you can see. In the end of the book i ...more
Danielle Foster
Sep 20, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: el230
I enjoyed the way this book portrayed the idea of chasing your dreams. One of the reasons this stood out to me was because it really showed the many challenges that may step in someones way to achieving their goal, but should never stop them from going after it. Another thing about this book is that it had quotes on each page summarizing what its lesson is. I thought that was a great addition. This is a very simple way for a child to learn the life of Hillary Clinton from when she was their age, ...more
Christy Bennett
Dec 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: life-stories
1. No awards.
2. K-5
3. This picture book biography of Hillary Rodham Clinton begins with her dreams of one day becoming an astronaut, and follows her life through all of her political successes and stumbles.
4. Through beautiful watercolor illustrations, I love how Hillary's life and dreams are portrayed from childhood on, with the constant message of always believing in yourself, despite how many people may tell you no.
5. This book could be taught during a unit about believing in yourself, or whe
Jess
Picture book biographies struggle to find a balance between being readable and being informative. Krull chose the story format meaning this works as a readaloud. She included 5 solid pages of text notes at the close that further explain each set of pages from the book. I'm torn, because while this is necessary and informative, I know almost no one will read it. I skimmed part of it. But, it's there.
Krull did a good job, without every preaching, about the utter nonsense sexism Hillary Clinton's
Shelli
Mar 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This was an unexpected gem of a picture book biography on Hillary Clinton, the unexpected part being the very detailed afterward. This book showcases her unending determination to break through the glass ceiling of woman’s rights and shows how far equality has come in just one lifetime. The illustrations are done well and are filled with such expression and eagerness; together with the narrative they will hopefully inspire many young girls to dream big.
Samantha
Great information that is incredibly inspiring with read aloud text, though the heart of the book is in the Flying Facts section (notes on the text) included in the back matter.

Watercolor, gouache, and pencil artwork is beautiful and really captures Clinton's physical features, but also her spirit.

A list of sources is also included in the back matter and denotes which sources are for young readers. Recommended for grades 3-5+.
Ginger
Jan 14, 2009 rated it liked it
The primary text of this book is written simply, for children, and is fanciful, if not fictional. However, a very well conceived, concise appendix provides a linear narrative of her life, fleshing out some details, primarily those that put Clinton in a favorable light. Her participation in policy making during her husband's presidency is discussed; his infidelity and her way of coping with it is not.
Valleri
This book told the (overview) history of Hillary Clinton from the time she was an imaginative child with dreams of reaching the moon until 2016 as she is running for U.S. President. It was a very uplifting story which held the attention of my youngest child. The illustrations were very colorful, beautifully done as well.
I'm a big fan of Kathleen Krull & picture book biographies, but this one was too simplistic. There was very little meaningful content for someone not already familiar with Hillary Rodham Clinton's life. Lovely illustrations, and a good amount of information at the end, however the story itself did not live up to my expectations.
Ally Wallace
Oct 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Genre: biography, picture book
Published: 2015
Empowering picture book about Hillary Clinton. Each page had an inspirational quote encouraging readers to never give up. The last few pages of the book give further details about Hillary and her life.
Holly
I read this one (originally written in 2008 and updated in 2015) with Markel's and Pham's biography. While I liked the illustrations and more extensive text in Markel's, I liked the extended metaphor and inclusion of one of Clinton's controversial actions in Krull's.
Maggie Mattmiller
Nov 07, 2015 rated it liked it
Love the illustrations, but the information is a bit too surface level. In the back, there are a few details that go a bit deeper, which is nice, but I feel it's not a very informative story. I guess I wonder what the purpose is. It's a bit inspirational though, so I do like it.
Liliane
Mar 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: biography
This is a nice biography of Hillary Rodham Clinton. I believe that this book would be of good use to elementary school children since it has beautiful illustrations that go along with Hillary's story.
Caleb
Nov 04, 2008 rated it did not like it
Shelves: picture-books
Clinton is disturbingly cute—hot, even—in this awful, awful story book of her bio, each two-page spread of which ends with an awkwardly grafted-on random inspirational saying.

Like the Obama bio picture book, this too is still better than Megan McCain's My Dad, John McCain.
Leslie Lee
Sep 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Hillary Rodhams Clinton By Kathleen Krull 2008 is a biography of the life of Hillary Rodham Clinton. It describes her life as a child up through her run for president. It also mentions along the way all the roadblocks she faced against women.
Leia
Dec 06, 2012 rated it liked it
I liked this book. I have two daughters and it's important to me that they have wonderful role models. This book doesn't go too deep into Hillary's life, but touches on high points. My daughters enjoyed reading it with me.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »