Start by marking “A Reluctant Assassin Special Edition (Order of the MoonStone, #1)” as Want to Read:
A Reluctant Assassin Special Edition (Order of the MoonStone, #1)

A Reluctant Assassin Special Edition

(Order of the MoonStone #1)

What if Cinderella had been sent to kill the Prince?

Kayden never thought of herself as the Belle of the ball, but she finds herself in the royal palace, surrounded by society darlings - and the only thing she has in common with them is that they're all vying for the Prince. They're after his crown. She's after his head.

Go back to the very beginning with us... see how Kayde
Paperback, SPECIAL EDITION, 300 pages
Published September 29th 2016 by S&G Publishing (first published September 29th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about A Reluctant Assassin Special Edition, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Reluctant Assassin Special Edition

Tricia Mingerink
I was expecting really high things from this book. The cover is simply amazing. I was expecting intrigue and assassination attempts. Cloak and dagger stuff.

This book isn't that. It's a love story. It's pretty much a clean, Christian version of The Selection.

The prince has to choose a bride from a group of 24 girls. He instantly feels attracted to the girl, though she happens to be an assassin sent to kill him. It's very much a Cinderella type, insta-attraction. Not quite insta-love, but he defi
Alyssa

The first thing I fell in love with about this book was the cover. And then I read the synopsis, I knew this book would exceed my expectations. YA, Fantasy, Steampunk, Speculative are all genres right up my alley. In fact, they're some of my most read genres next to Historical fiction and Historical Romance. A female assassin who's sent to kill the Prince, but may be falling in love with him instead. C'mon, that's a book I want to read. J.C. really knows how to weave a tale that keeps you on the
Lindsey (Books for Christian Girls)
About this book:

“Her mission was simple — get close to the Prince, and kill him. . . but plans don’t always go the way they’re meant to, and emotion gets in the way.
Kayden entered the palace under a lie, one designed to get her close to the Prince. On the outside, she may look like a princess but beneath the mask, a killer lays in wait — for the perfect moment.
Ashley Bogner
A Reluctant Assassin is a good mix of romance, suspense, and faith. When seventeen-year-old Kayden is sent to assassinate Prince Dvarius, she never expects the assignment to be so tough. Dvarius is nothing like what she expected.

I liked Kayden, a lot. She's strong and capable, but she isn't the cold, overly-tough female lead we see all too often. I found her a refereshing change in that she was feisty...but she had a soft side, too.

I think A Reluctant Assassin will appeal to both fans of fa
Deana Dick
Aug 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received an advanced copy of this book from the author for an honest review

Kayden has been chosen to complete a mission that will involve deceit and calmness to achieve her goal. She is transformed into a beautiful woman with the most fancy of dresses awaiting the arrival of the Prince with twenty-four other eager young women. They are all there vying for Dvarius's attention. He is the prince that has come to the ballroom to select his princess. As Kayden sees Dvarius enter the grand ballroom
Toni Shiloh
Aug 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Reluctant Assassin was an amazing read. I was shocked when it ended, I didn't even realize I was near the end (I read it on my ereader). J.C. Morrows does an excellent job in creating a different world. One that's been torn apart by wars. Where believing in God is not a popular choice. She creates intrigue, suspense, and romance all within the pages of the novel. I cannot wait until the next one comes out. It's a great read!
Nicole Rivera
Sep 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"A Reluctant Assassin" is a dystopian novel based in the future U.S.A. where monarchs rule, women wear big dresses, and princes must marry to become kings. The story opens at a ball where twenty-five of the most eligible ladies have been selected from the kingdom in order that the prince might choose his bride. Only, one of them isn't really a wealthy noble, she is an orphan plucked from the streets and trained to assassinate the prince. But, as she gets to know him, will she have the heart to f ...more
D.J.

W.O.W.

A Reluctant Assassin is oh-so-wonderful…

It’s the typical “Prince Charming will choose his bride at the ball” story – except for a teensy, tiny twist. One of the ladies at the ball was sent to kill… eliminate… assassinate… the Prince. As the author puts it so eloquently —

“What if Cinderella had been sent to kill the Prince?”

Oh. My. Gosh.

I have always loved the Cinderella stories… one of my favorite movies is Ever After – to me it’s the most realistic Cinderella story ever told. And I have
Michele Israel Harper
Oh. My. Word. First of all, I fell in love with the cover. Because of the stunning cover, I entered the Goodreads contest and actually won (how awesome is that???). THEN I READ THE BOOK. Wow. Drop everything you're doing and read it. Right now. If you like YA, romance, edge-of-your-seat suspense, Read. This. Book. I'm telling you, I'm dying for book two. Why are still reading this review? Read the book!!! :)
Sierra Faith
Jul 20, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The only reason I am giving this book 4/5 stars is because of the whole love at first sight thing. I hate that! I don't think it's realistic and gives girl's a false impression of Love. I believe you can be attracted to someone and then fall in love, but I don't think true love comes first.
Zac
Synopsis:

Her mission was simple — get close to the Prince, and kill him...

Dvarius was not ready to take the crown, nor was he ready for a wife . . . but due to his father’s unexpected death and an archaic law — he must find a bride before he is allowed to take his rightful place on the throne.

And t
Kara
Jun 30, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
**re reading before I read the sequel Dec. 2015**

**got review copy, YEEEESSSS!!!! so grateful for authors like JC Morrows**

I knew I had to get a copy of this incredible story the moment I saw the cover, there are just some books you KNOW you're meant to read and this is one of those books for me :)

In the land of Auralius, there has been much suffering and turmoil for everyone leading Kayden to be sent on a mission to kill the prince. Little does she know how different the prince really is from
Cynthia
3.5 stars (3 here, 4 on Amazon) I don't normally read speculative, but I'm trying to include more of it because it's so popular and many of my friends write it. This title, cover, and premise grabbed my attention immediately. Ms. Morrows should also be complimented on her daring to use all caps for the text. It really works for this story, and I found it easy on my eyes in spite of the fact that I was told the opposite for many years.

Other than YA speculative and steampunk, I don't know how thi
Mikayla
I picked this book up one day when it was free because I had seen it around and it looked interesting.
The beginning I was a little confused by, because I didn’t realize it was Steampunk. Steampunk is really not a genre I like, but that maybe accounts for a half-star off.
While the main characters were interesting, I quickly lost any interest in them. The prince mentions he is a Christian at the beginning and the end and that was about the whole of the Christian content.
What saddened me was that
Kristen Kooistra
Another late night as I stayed up to finish this one! The last half of the story just flew by. Now this is a hard review for me to write because I so badly wanted to love it more than I did. The blurb is interesting and look at that cover? Can we say enough times how amazing the cover looks? And the title speaks of all sorts of intrigue!

To start, I think it’s only fair to tell everyone that I don’t feel the cover accurately portrays this book. Kayden has red hair and for the entirety of the boo
Deanna Stevens
Aug 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015-list
She thought her mission was simple but...
He was finding his mission was hard!
I found this an entertaining story of young lives brought together for totally different purposes. His for finding a wife, hers for murder! No matter their training we find that when emotions come into play.. anything can happen! I liked this story and found it a fun read too.. I was not expecting that ending, but, JC gives us a peak into the next book and I am very much looking forward to the next adventure in Kayden
Erica
Sep 01, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This review orginally appears on What Am I Reading?

Rate: 2.5

I received an ARC from the author in exchange for an honest review.

A Reluctant Assassin takes place in a futuristic, socially regressive United States called Auralius. What sets Auralius apart from the current day US are the second civil war, the two additional world wars, and all the repercussions that come with warfare which include countless deaths, environmental destruction, and government reformation. This is where my first issue w
Michelle
**You can see this full review and more at Book Briefs: http://bookbriefs.net**

3.5/5

A Reluctant Assassin is the first book in the Order of the MoonStone series by J.C. Morrows. It is a young adult fantasy romance, that is light on the action/adventure and heavy on the romance. Perfect for fans that love a good love story in the background of a high fantasy universe. This is also a clean book, so it would be appropriate for young young adult readers as well as older readers. I really enjoyed A Re
Lisa  (Bookworm Lisa)
***4.5 stars***

Kayden is faced with a dilemma. She has come to the palace with a mission to kill the Prince. The information she had been told about him is incorrect. He is not what she expected and it doesn't take long for her to begin to develop feelings for him.

Dvarius is not excited that he must choose a bride from the 24 young women brought to the castle. He must marry in order to become King. He trust in God to lead him to the woman whom he could love and to rule the Kingdom with.

The book
Marilyn
Sep 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya-inspirational
I was drawn into the story of A Reluctant Assassin from the beginning. WOW J.C. Morrows is gifted storyteller! Kayden was sent to the palace on a mission to assassinate Prince Dvarius. The young Prince is drawn to Kayden from the beginning, as she is there along with other young women for Prince Dvarius to find a wife. Kayden had been trained for this mission in her order; however, her emotions come into play with the Prince. Prince Dvarius is tired of all the wars, famine, etc that the people i ...more
Renee Martin
Aug 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm usually not a YA, fantasy, steampunk, speculative fiction reading person, but WOW! I feel pretty lucky being one of the few chosen to get an advanced copy of this book! J.C. Morrows did a fantastic job creating a suspenseful story. You will need to be sure you have plenty of spare time when you pick up this book because you will not want to put it down. And when you finish, you will definitely be wanting more!
Lydia Thomas
I give A Reluctant Assassin by J. C. Morrows 3 out of 5 stars.

First of all, I want to say, I love the premise of this book: What if Cinderella had been sent to kill the Prince? Paints an interesting picture, doesn’t it?

I was intrigued before I even started reading because of the killer premise (no pun intended), but as I began reading, I was immediately drawn into the world, which has both a futuristic and old-fashioned feel to it.

We are first introduced to Kayden, the girl on a mission, and sho
Ksandra
Nov 05, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4/5 Stars

So, the first thing I noticed was that the tags in this novel were Teen/Religious/Christian/Action & Adventure. There were other tags, but as soon as I saw Religious/Christian I got mildly worried. I have read books with those tags where it is overly preachy, which, for someone like me who doesn't have a real set of beliefs (I try to use many different aspects of many beliefs), is extremely annoying. But this book was not like that at all.

Yes, Prince Dvarius is religious. But the wa
Melanie
(3.5 stars) I love dystopia and Christian dystopia was new to me so I was intrigued. Add in royalty and an assassin posing as a potential bride and I'm in.

The prince, Dvarius, needs to find a wife so 25 women have been invited to the palace for him to choose from. Kayden is in that group of women. However, she has been sent there to assassinate the prince. They meet early on and Dvarius feels a connection with Kayden. He realizes he needs to make an effort with the other women and discovers that
Just Commonly
Are you a fan of dystopian novels? A make-belief society with a strong hero or heroine to get you all riled up to root for? How about someone like Katniss from The Hunger Games that you don't really like but you can't help but love? Well, Ms. Morrows gave us quite a character in Kayden of A Reluctant Assassin. She's there to kill the prince, but can it be true that she actually likes the prince and even love? Well, that's a question you'll have to read to find out.

In all, I enjoyed this book, n
Galaxy Adventurer
What the book is about:

Her mission was simple — get close to the Prince, and kill him. . .
Ashley Dawn
Nov 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great start to a new series. Kayden is on a mission. This is a different mission than she is used to. She must convince the Prince that she is the girl for him and then kill him. Dvarius is the prince she is to kill and is immediately attracted to her. He must choose a bride from the twenty-five ladies his advisers have chosen but they would like him to choose any of them but Kayden. What neither of them knows is there is someone else with a mission all their own and Kayden's heart may ...more
A Holland Reads
This is the first book I have read by this author. I thought the book was a good book even though it is not normally the genre I would read. There is a bit of action and romance in this book so a little for everyone. I liked the idea of a female being an assassin. For me this is what drew me to the book. I thought the character developement was good and Kayden was a strong person. The author did a good job in all the details she used. This is a good book sor someone looking for a strong female c ...more
Rachel Miller
This is not a typical "Steampunk" novel... It is also not as simple as it appears on the surface. Each book in this series will unfold the story a bit more - and just when you think you have it all figured out . . . you'll discover some new piece.

As always, I suggest reading the series in order; starting with "A Perilous Assignment" - which shows how Kayden was chosen for her assignment.

Also, you should note that "A Cunning Masquerade" takes place during this book - after chapter 23.
Josiah
Jun 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
Mk, so if I was going to grade this book from its premise, I'd have to give it 2 stars. I don't believe for a moment that Kayden is an actual assassin (a characteristic moment showing her doing an assassination attempt would have done wonders for this book), and it's really obvious from the get-go that Kayden won't kill Dvarius. Not simply because I've read stories like that before. But because Kayden's whole attitude toward Dvarius is instantly romantic. So if this story was going to try to hav ...more
  • Murder at TopHouse
  • A Nothing Named Silas
  • The Return of Cassandra Todd
  • Kisses in the Rain
  • Tess in Boots
  • Exiles (Realms of the Infinite, #1)
  • Heir of Hope (Follower of the Word, #3)
  • Finally a Bride (Charity House, #7)
  • A Timeless Romance Anthology: All Hallows' Eve
  • Out of Darkness Rising
  • Her Rodeo Cowboy (Mule Hollow Homecoming, #1)
  • The Healer's Touch
  • Finders Keepers (Carrington Family #1)
  • North for Christmas
  • The Potter's Lady (Refined by Love, #2)
  • The Bridal Bouquet (The Business of Weddings #3)
  • Five Magic Spindles
  • Agent in Old Lace
facebook  twitter  instagram  pinterest  mail

JC Morrows is the bestselling author of the young adult dystopian series: Order of the MoonStone and the post-apocalyptic Frozen World series. A believer in sharing knowledge, JC is passionate about both stoking the creative fire in young minds and doing all she can to help authors of all experience levels excel.

A true storyteller, JC is one of those authors who grew up thinking it was p

Order of the MoonStone (5 books)
  • A Treacherous Decision (Order of the MoonStone #2)
  • A Desperate Escape (Order of the MoonStone #3)
  • A Tragic Consequence (Order of the MoonStone #4)
  • A Broken Kingdom (Order of the MoonStone #5)
“What if Cinderella had been sent to kill the prince?" - Kayden” 11 likes