Jump to ratings and reviews

Legend #1

Set in Stone

Life as she knew it had ended…

When Alexandria York fatefully met the Duke of Avalon in the woods she never imagined she’d be working for him. A rising star of the art scene in London, Alexandria agrees to commission a piece for the infamous noble. His intentions quickly become confusing as chemistry grows between the two.
As she dreams of the man she can’t have, the one she can lures her deeper into his lair. Will the man she once loved be her Knight in shining armor and slay the Dragon? Or will the Dragon consume her before it’s too late?

In this life, his heart was the stone and her love was the sword…

The Duke of Avalon has lived a long and lonely life. He has chased his love through the centuries and every time she has jilted him, but not this time. Tormented by inner demons, Avalon seeks to keep his secret safe while vowing to win Alexandria York. When his former charge, Lancer Rivers comes back into both their lives, he finds he more than one challenger for her hand. Can he protect Alexandria not only from the man after her very life, but also himself?

Kylie C. Stewart joins the myth of King Arthur and his Knights of the 'Round to modern day. Join Avalon and Alexandria on an adventure full of magic, adventure, and romance. For once is in the past, and the future is now.

312 pages, ebook

14 books1 follower

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
Displaying 1 - 30 of 60 reviews
Profile Image for Vicki.
1,207 reviews145 followers
April 14, 2017
I was really surprised to find how much I enjoyed this story. I liked the Dragon and I liked spunky Alexandria. I felt the tension of their relationship and enjoyed it. I especially loved the night visits and the glimpses into the past. I want to read book two and pick up where this one leaves off. I did like the fact that it was not a terrible cliffhanger leaving us to question and worry while book two is being completed. I knew where I hoped it would lead and so I am ready to read book two to see if it continues in the direction I liked.
Profile Image for Anniek.
429 reviews259 followers
February 24, 2018
He's a myth, a fairy tale, a legend and also a real man. To the world he's the Duke of Avalon. It's been ages since he told someone his name. He's called Arthur, King Arthur to be exact. For centuries he's lived life after life trying to break the curse that was placed on him. A sorcerer named M. has been with him every single time. In each lifetime he tries to find his soulmate and the only one who can break the curse. When he meets Alexandria, Arthur has a strong hope that this time the curse will be broken. Arthur is not the only one who's after Alexandria's heart. Will he be able to bind her to him forever?

Alexandria York is a fantastic artist and she creates the most amazing pieces. She lives together with her best friend and they're both doing really well for themselves. Alexandria meets the Duke of Avalon when she accidentally ends up on his territory while she's riding her horse. She agrees to commission a piece for him and she can't deny the attraction she feels. The Duke of Avalon can be terribly rude and harsh to her, but she always stands up to him. Alexandria has no idea that she's the love of his life and that the Duke has secretly been visiting her in her dreams. How long will it take before Alexandria finds out the truth?

Set in Stone is a story about King Arthur and his knights of the round table in a modern retelling. I've read many stories about King Arthur and have always been fascinated by his story. The mythical King Arthur and his Camelot Castle are often mentioned together with the ruins of Tintagel Castle. I've been to Tintagel Castle and it's outright stunning. Outside these ruins are beautiful walks between the surrounding cliffs. Kylie Stewart has done an amazing job in writing about a mythical King finding his way in modern times. She knows exactly what she is writing about and I loved this well-researched story very much. She combines it with amazing main characters, especially Alexandria. I love stories about strong women. Set in Stone is a magical and mythical love story. I can't wait to find out what happens next and am anxious to read the second book in the Legend series, The Duke's Curse.

Profile Image for Coco.V.
46.4k reviews4 followers
Want to read
July 7, 2021
🎁 The complete Legend Series (7 book series) is FREE on Amazon today (7/7/2021)! 🎁
Profile Image for Patrice.
586 reviews46 followers
April 11, 2017
This is an adult story due to some sexual content. I liked this contemporary story of the legendary King Arthur and some of the key characters from Camelot. It is an interesting take on an old story. Apparently King Arthur is cursed and he still lives (as well as at least 3 other major players); certain important persons to Arthur are reincarnated too, without memory of any past lives. The story moves at a good pace and kept me entertained. I would have preferred a little more information imparted during the telling of this story in addition to a bit more detail at the conclusion of this book; but, since this is a series, that is understandable. There were a few typos; but, not enough to distract from the story itself. All-in-all a very interesting start to a series and one I will probably continue.
I was given a free e-book version of this book, by the author, in exchange for my honest review.
Profile Image for Jeanette Kelley.
300 reviews1 follower
March 30, 2017
A beautifully sad tale!

This is my first book by this author and I have to say it was a great book. This new take about king Arthur and his court is full of love, hate magic and sadness. I found it very refreshing and will read the continued series. Very well done!
Profile Image for Ashley .
1,065 reviews2 followers
March 17, 2017
I received an arc of this book and am voluntarily leaving a review for it.

I am a big fan of fantasy and also a fan of Arthur retellings. There's just so much fun with the original story that you can do a lot with any retelling. I'd say this is one of my favorite retellings I've read to date.

The romance in this novel is sweet rather than hot, and the build up is slow. But when you get to the overall climax of the story it's definitely worth the wait! There is a lot of mystery and intrigue in this story. The ending leaves you with this cliffhanger that just begs for more story.

If you're a fan of fantasy (King Arthur in specific) and slow mysteries then you will enjoy this novel! I cannot wait to get the next installation of this series!
Profile Image for palomahdezc.
294 reviews12 followers
January 14, 2018
I really like how this book started, but then, the following chapters were so complicated, the drama was just too much drama (unnecessary, in my opinion)
Profile Image for Bobbie Stanley.
143 reviews5 followers
May 5, 2016
Over the years, I've read a lot of mythology. I've also read a lot of fiction inspired by and adapted from mythology. As such, I was really excited for this book! The King Arthur legends are some of my favorites and I couldn't wait to get a sort of modern take on them. Maybe my expectations were too high going in, but I found this book hard to get through. Very rarely do I stop reading a book without finishing it, though, so I pressed on. What I found, though, was that I became more confused as I kept reading. I felt as if I was constantly left with loose ends that never quite tied themselves up. Every time I thought I was about to get enough information to really understand the plot of this book, something shifted and I never did get enough details to fill things in.

The lead female, Alexandria, was decent enough, but I really found that I preferred to read things from Avalon's perspective. This could be due to the fact that Avalon, being an older character, felt a great deal better developed than Alexandria did. My favorite moments in the book were the ones written from his perspective, but even those left me with more foreshadowing than anything, almost as if this book was entirely meant to preface whatever follows it. I get the need to give readers information in a series, but that's usually something that comes along with second books. The plot never really worked itself out in this one and I didn't feel like it was going to. For me, the ending felt very incomplete. There are ways to do that that leave the reader dying for more and desperate to jump into the next volume of the series. Honestly, though, I felt more frustrated than intrigued with the rather abrupt ending. I didn't understand much more about the story line at the end of the novel than I did at the beginning.

Despite the difficulty I had getting into the book, though, I will grant that it was a very creative concept. I haven't seen this approach taken before and I appreciate the author's willingness to jump in there and try something new. I just feel like this book needs polishing on some levels.
Profile Image for Jelilat Adesiyan.
184 reviews5 followers
April 12, 2018
I like it

I just couldn’t quite grasp the emotions between Alexandria and Avalon. I did eventually connect but it took me a wry long time. We know there’s background but I don’t believe the author took time to connect the past and present. There was too much tug and pool that didn’t make sense. Some of Avalon’s emotions seemed too extreme but it worked out, but some of Alexandria’s didn’t track somewhat, but it kinda did. Overall, i eventually liked it. It could have been a five star if it connected the past to the present better particularly with emotions. Although the emotions made sense, I think Alexandria’s emotions could have been more positive. I liked all her emotions but sometimes they made no sense, and I think a little bit of sugar whether internally or not would have helped. So, I think we needed more insight into her when she was alone, like what did she really think?
Profile Image for Recipe Fairy.
105 reviews32 followers
April 25, 2016
This was a nicely charming book! It reads somewhat like a Regency romance, however there's moments where you are reminded it's a modern story. The storyline is intriguing, the dialogue was rich, and the romance was sweet and not too hot. While not as much as I expected, there's still an underlying mysterious supernatural element threaded throughout the whole story with bits being revealed slowly over time. With a cat and mouse relationship that has small fireballs of smoldering attraction, I was completely caught up in this lovely, charming story! I was left with quite a cliffhanger that leaves me aching to read the second book to see what happens next!
Profile Image for Danielle Goodwin.
731 reviews12 followers
January 15, 2018
Kylie Stewart's "Set in Stone" and "The Duke's Curse" are the first two books in the Legend series. Great reads! I was glad I had #2 ready to go when I finished #1! You really need both to get the complete picture. I love the love triangle and all of the historical parts. I don't want to give away too much - lots of twists and turns. Some great steamy scenes. Amazing ending. I will definitely read this author again.
Profile Image for Sherri.
1,121 reviews10 followers
August 6, 2016
What a wonderfully, intriguing story the author has spun in this current day tale of King Arthur! Imaginative and a real page turner. I am looking forward to the next book and I am an instant fan of this new author.
Profile Image for Angie ~aka Reading Machine~.
3,145 reviews130 followers
September 21, 2016
Arthurian legends are among my favorite stories to read no matter how many re~telling available. This tale takes on a modern twist while also still in keeping with other re~telling. I'm fascinated by how this tale presented itself. I look forward to reading more of this series in the future.
Profile Image for Loretta Rohrer-norris.
176 reviews4 followers
December 13, 2018
Loved it! So very different

An intresting take on the legend of Camelot. Very well written in the present tense and makes you wonder !!!
Profile Image for Jolie.
1,458 reviews34 followers
March 9, 2017
Set in Stone is a newer, darker take on King Arthur . Told from Arthur/Avalon’s point of view and Alexandria point of view, you are taken on a dark journey with a man who has nothing to lose and woman who has the ability to bring him to his knees and possibly destroy him if she chooses wrong.

When Kylie approached me to review Set In Stone, I did an internal “Squeee” of delight. I am a sucker for anything about Camelot/King Arthur/Knights of the Round Table. Seriously, if I see a book that even mentions its about that, I snatch it right up and devour it. Which was the same with this book. And I have to say, this was a great and different take of the King Arthur myth.

I wasn’t expecting Arthur/Avalon to be a dark as he was. He came across as a man who would do anything to keep his love this time around. Anything and that included making a move on her and claim her as his own. He was so passionate when he was alone, with M or with Alexandria in her dreams. But when he was with Alexandria in real life, he was so cold….so possessive. It actually confused me at times and made me wonder why? But then I remembered the triangle of Guinevere/Lancelot/Arthur and a light bulb went off over my head. He was jealous and afraid of getting hurt.

Alexandria kinda rubbed me the wrong way at first. She gave such mixed signals about Arthur/Avalon that even I was confused. I mean, she created a statue of him (Legend) after first meeting him but them proceeded to try and put him in the friend zone when he told her that he was starting to have feelings for her. She was also hung up on a guy that seemed to move on and it drove me nuts. I did feel for her when Arthur started getting all possessive. I mean, she had no clue.

Mordred and Morgan Le Fey were mentioned a bit in the book. I figure out what her agenda was other than to drive Arthur/Avalon nuts and Mordred was only mentioned a couple of times. I can’t wait to see how they come into play in the next book.

Merlin was mentioned in the book and I wish that there was more of him. He was so wise and had such great council for Arthur/Avalon. Again, I hope he is in Book 2 more.

The end of the book was great. No twists or anything but I did like how certain events came to pan out!!

How many stars will I give Set in Stone: 4

Why: Like I said above, I love the King Arthur myth and I enjoyed this story. The story was fast paced and I was totally engrossed in the story. I couldn’t read it fast enough.

Will I reread: Yes

Will I recommend to family and friends: Yes

Age range: Adult

Why: Language, some violence and sex

**I received a free copy of this book and volunteered to review it**
Profile Image for Rita Kroon.
54 reviews1 follower
February 14, 2018
Set in Stone by Kylie Stewart is a historical romance novel, and is the first book of the Legend series. The setting is Caliburn Estate, England.

The opening line: "Her voice brought me out from the surrounding chaos threatening to drown me," sets the stage for Avalon's quest to find the woman he loves, and who will love him in return. If so, he would be free from the curse placed on him by Sir Thomas Mordred 162 years earlier. "I am just Avalon," he cries, "who once was king."

Alexandria is introduced when she and her friend, Elaine, accidentally ride their horses beyond the stable's property and onto Caliburn Estate. They were met by a handsome man, the Duke of Avalon, riding his steed. Elaine explains later that the man was the Black Duke, the Dragon. To the elite, he was a thug, to those who knew the full extent of his powers, The Dragon. Acquaintances called him Avalon, but his real name was Arthur Pendragon. Alexandria is an upcoming sculptress and decides to make a life-size sculpture of the handsome man she met on the trail. She would name her art Legend.

Avalon and Alexandria meet again at an art show and there begins their story. Avalon buys the statue, Legend, and commissions Alexandria to sculpt two art pieces for his estate. She agrees and will work on it at his estate.

Avalon has a ring that gives him power to meet with Alexandria in her dreams - which were graphic and explicit in nature.
Avalon is portrayed as a man with dark secrets who at times seems cold, ruthless, jealous, and possessive. At other times he seems like a man trapped by his past and wanting desperately to be set free. Alexandria is indecisive with her feelings for the man of her dreams and her former lover, Lancer. She is in love with one, and has strong feelings for another. She seems shallow with not much loyalty. She feels safe with Lancer, but is drawn to the darkness of Avalon. She makes her choice in the end.

Connecting all the characters to one another is difficult in the beginning of the story, and by the end, the relationship between Avalon and Mordred is still not clear, although it may be made clear in the second book. It delves heavily into the supernatural, the paranormal and the mythological worlds.

I give this story a 3-star rating because of the graphic sexual desires expressed by Avalon and Alexandria that monopolize the story and detract from the story line.

Review by: Rita Kroon, author of "Letters from the Past"
488 reviews
July 21, 2019
4 1/2 stars

I’ve been looking forward to reading this story for ages and I wasn’t disappointed. Not only is the cover beautiful but the idea of the story being based off King Arthur had me squealing in excitement.

description

This tale finds us being introduced to Avalon and Alexandria. Avalon, a duke, is an interesting, complicated and mysterious man. Wisdom and sorrow swim in his eyes and he carries a heavy burden. So much seems to be against him and he finds it hard to control his emotions. Not surprisingly Alexandria also has a hard time controlling her feelings especially around Avalon. The duke incites emotions in her that she never expected. But then a past lover comes back into the picture and creates new complications. Others are also hoping to cause divides and tensions between Avalon and Alexandria. I could say more but I want everyone to discover the secrets for themselves.

While I was reading Set in Stone, I was reminded of Lauren Kate’s Fallen series and Autumn Bardot’s The Impaler’s Wife. I loved those tales which is why I loved this too. There were similar elements in those stories that were also blended into this magical story. I love tales that are written with knights on quests and refined ladies. When the truth is revealed to Alexandria, how will she react? What will she choose to do? I just loved the suspense, the chemistry and the drama not to mention the calm and reassuring presence M offers throughout the story. I cannot wait to sink my teeth into book 2.

description
Profile Image for Jane Blanchard.
Author 8 books47 followers
June 8, 2017
Set in Stone by Kylie Stewart is a contemporary romance with mystery and suspense. This is the first book in the "Legend" series, a modern adaptation of the Legend of King Arthur. Ms. Stewart successfully develops two characters, Avalon and Alexandria York. Avalon (Arthur) is cursed and Alexandria is unaware of the role she plays in this curse. Both feel a magnetism toward the other; but while Avalon is controlling and angry, Alexandria is confused and often conflicted between being an independent woman and one drawn to an ill-tempered and possessive man.

Avalon commissions Ms. York, the sculptor, to create a statue of Psyche and Eros. According to legend, Psyche was forbidden to look upon Eros, a serpent who is her lover. Ironically, in Set in Stone, Alexandria finds comfort in sensuous dreams in which she is blindfolded and unable to see the man who is pleasing her. These dreams sequences are steamy hot and well written.

Then a rival arrives. Unbeknown to Avalon, Lance, the boy he raised as his son is the man who jilted Alexandria. Now she must choose between the two.

Though this book does resolve some issues, there are still unanswered questions, What is the curse and will Alexandria's decision affect it for good or bad? What role will the secondary characters have in the sequel?

I enjoyed this book and look forward to the next installment.
March 15, 2017
Legend lives up to its name. Legend takes an age old tale and transports it into a new world. One of beauty, mystery, and love that will have you sitting on the edge of your seat. Legend is a page turner that takes into the world of Avalon and Alexandria. They are a tug of war couple, but you can feel the magnitude of their connection in every line you read. Alexandria is an artist, that from a once chance meeting with Avalon creates and work of art. This pulls Avalon back into her world to create a masterpiece for him. Avalon has been waiting for Alexandria and can’t believe his good fortune. There are twists and turns in Legend, what you thought you knew was going on in the book, takes a turn and has you guessing again. This is a cliffhanger so you have to continue on with the series to find out what happens. But Legend is well worth the read. You will not be disappointed.I can’t wait to see what happens next.
Profile Image for Danielle Goodwin.
731 reviews12 followers
January 15, 2018
Profile Image for Laura Ruetz.
1,213 reviews67 followers
May 20, 2018
I'm always interested in books that deal with the Arthurian legend and this was well done. I like the contemporary spin on it, and the overall idea of the book. The characters are complex and well developed. Engaging story and a good way to give an original spin on the legend of Arthur.

Only negative was that while trying to show how ego can get in the way, it just sort of created a bit of a disconnect with the charactor of Avalon for me.

I received a free copy of this book.
Profile Image for Taylor.
120 reviews
May 11, 2017
I hated it. I didn't like a single thing. Avalon is the biggest douche. He does nothing but be disrespectful and then wonders why Alexandria wants nothing to do with him. I had high hopes for this book and it had so much potential but I don't think it was a 4 star book. No way will I read the second book. This was a waste of my time.
Profile Image for Summer Schell.
26 reviews
June 4, 2018
I love the concept of the story. For a debut novel, I find it quite impressive and can tell that it comes from passion.

I just feel that this book could be longer, I started reading the second book and felt that it could just be incorporated into the first book.
Profile Image for Cheryl.
247 reviews3 followers
July 15, 2021
Twist on a King...

The author gives us a beautiful twist on a timeless classic. The torment the characters go through can be felt as if I were right there with them. I look forward to seeing where the Legend continues.
Profile Image for Julie.
16 reviews
March 17, 2017
I was provided this book at the invitation of the author.
This was an absorbing read --once I started reading it, I could hardly put it down! Although I am not familiar with all the details of the Arthur legend(s), I was immediately drawn in to the story. The story is told from alternating viewpoints - that of Arthur/Avalon and Alexandria. Alexandria is enticed, seduced by Arthur, though totally kept in the dark. Arthur/Avalon knows all, but reveals only tidbits. There is alot of seduction - it "reeks" of dominance, a la 50 Shades. Alexandria is drawn, almost against her will and better judgement, into a deeper connection/relationship with both Avalon and Arthur. Once her past relationship is brought back into the story, the action moves quickly and at this point I could not put the book down (I was literally reading my Kindle in the dark late into the night!) I was immediately ready to begin reading the second book in the series, and I was ecstatic to find that it will be released in the next week or so (late March 2017).
This is a book not to be missed! Read it yourself, and recommend to your friends -- you'll be glad you did!
502 reviews1 follower
September 7, 2017
Great story

This is a fantasy that was told very interestingly. It is a great love/hate story. Love conquered in the end.
741 reviews2 followers
April 18, 2018
Really good. Suspense, based on Arthurian legend. Not boilerplate very engaging narrative.
3 reviews
June 12, 2021
I was a good book with a new twist on an old story. I only gave it 4 stars because there were some spelling errors and it was a little slow at the end.
Profile Image for Tammy.
646 reviews8 followers
March 22, 2017
Got for ARC, for a honest review.

As I read the story, it pulled me into King Arthurs world. I have always loved movies on King Arthur and Merlin. The story also made me think that a little of beauty and the beast was also mixed in as well. Certain things in the book made me think of the cartoon. I liked the book had a nice steady pace and loved how it played out. The author did a great job of pulling me into the world they made in a modern day world of King Arthur.

Thank you for letting me read your story.
Profile Image for C. Erani Kole.
1,647 reviews46 followers
March 12, 2017
*voluntarily and honestly reviewed the ARC I received from the author*

My rating for this floats around four stars. I liked the writing style and what it promised, but throughout the book, I kept getting confused, mainly with the whole curse thing of Arthur's. The first few pages started the confusion for me, and as the story progressed, the answers were slowly fed to me. One on hand I liked it because I had to figure things out for myself, but at the same time, I was always thrown off by his objective because of his love/hate relationship with a woman that we knew nothing about. If you didn't know about the famous love triangle, you'd be even more confused, since I relied on what I knew from other stories and still had a hard time wondering what was going on with him. It isn't til the end that some things get straightened out, and when it did end, I was left wanting a bit. Still thought it was a sweet way to hang things on the cliff, though.

The hotness level was great and it's probably one of the reasons why I'm not overtly frustrated with their love story. I got a lot of Beauty and the Beast / Eros & Psyche themes from this, which gave me the impression that a lot was going on. Overall, a little too complicated for me to enjoy without getting aggravated, but I still liked it.
Displaying 1 - 30 of 60 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.