Start by marking “A Year Since the Rain” as Want to Read:
A Year Since the Rain

A Year Since the Rain

Alan --a heart-broken and stubborn computer programmer--took much in his life for granted, including the vast supply of water in his town. But when the rains stop falling and the rivers dry up, he begins to realize how temporary it all can be. His life begins to unravel as, across town, a sinkhole threatens to swallow every bit of the place he has come to call home. Taken ...more
Published March 17th 2016 by Snow Leopard Publishing, LLC

To ask other readers questions about A Year Since the Rain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Year Since the Rain

Start your review of A Year Since the Rain
Maari
Sep 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazingly gifted premiere Author!
Mr. Wilson brings us not only on a journey of his main character's self-discovery, but on our own, as well. This is not a shallow read, by far. It keeps you engaged throughout, while doing some reflecting of your own life, the decisions made, and the meaning behind each of the people that you have encountered. This story brings with it, insight, and soul searching, long after the last page is turned.. Exceptional debut! I'm looking forward to more from this Autho
D.M. King
Apr 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
I want to begin by saying that I rarely read adult genre novels unless they are a Christian-based principles novel by writers like Max Lucado or David Jeremiah. With that being said, I found A Year Since the Rain to be quite unique for a few reasons.

If you enjoy a laid-back conversational tone, you might like this book. I felt like Shane was sitting next to me telling his story, or rather the narrator was. That element alone drew me into his world. There was also an element of surprise with an e
Sarah Bruton
May 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Okay, initially, I wanted Alan to find a good therapist to work on his relationship issues, but as I progressed through the book, I recognized the events were all the therapy he needed. Does it end the way that it needed to end? For Alan, yes. I do wish I knew the outcome for Wasser though. Kudos to Shane Wilson for his first full-length novel. I'm ready to read his next piece.
Tara Thompson
Mar 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A Year Since the Rain is smart and intriguing. The main character is an everyman whose personal journey leaves him struggling with precarious natural and human events. This was a page-turner...hard to put down and intriguing to the very end.
Tricia Juarez
Oct 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
I thought I reviewed this book when I first read it. 😔 This book was written by a talented up and coming author who has a gift for spinning a tale. I enjoyed the book, although sometimes I wanted to give the main character a swift kick in the ... I liked parallel with characters feelings and love events and the peculiar events happening around him. All in all a solid read, that I'll read again, and I can't wait to see what the author does next.
Amanda Kersey
Dec 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Solid novel with well developed plot and characters. I don’t know that I’ll read it again, but I certainly don’t have any regrets. It tends to be a little repetitive at times, but there are some really beautiful passages and imagery too. Reading this novel definitely caused some introspection of my own experiences.
Theresa
This was a slow start for me. Some of the writing is a little awkward at the beginning. However, I enjoyed the story and found myself getting caught up in it by the end. I like the Fates in the story.
Joshua
Mar 25, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: male-authors, ebook
A tightly written narrative that's probably not so much magical realism as it is a parable, though it can be both. Alan is in many ways a reflection of the dilemma of the Millennial generation: his mind moves at high speed while his maturity and opportunities remain stock-still. We (I include myself in the Millennial generation) often bloom late but only because we have to follow the rain rather than wait for it under our familiar sky.

Wilson also has a fantastic hold on the complexity of friends
Sherilyn
Jul 23, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I read this book as a favor for a friend. Let's just say he owes me. I'm pleased it was well proof read, because if not, it would have been hard to keep reading it. The writing is not great. It's awkward and odd in an unrealistic way. You see it a lot with people who think they can write but have a poor sense of delivery. The opening sentence was magic. ...but felt like the highlight of the entire book.
Jessica Baumgartner
-Roots, don't have to be put into the ground.

Probably my favorite passage from this one. I wasn't sure what to expect going into this book and I'm so glad for it. The mystery behind the story is part of its charm. It is a very poignant work with imagination and heart. There were a few jaw dropping moments and a lot more emotion than I bargained for, but I loved every second of it.

Great read.
Stefanie Barnes
Mar 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Excellent read! While not my usual genre, I found this book to be just enchanting enough to make me question the reality in which Alan was living. A Year Since the Rain has a unique take on a story we can all relate to - the one who got away. Definitely worth the read.
Mona Miles
Mar 28, 2017
Jenn Elizabeth
Aug 22, 2020
Shane Wilson
Mar 21, 2016 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-books
Frederick Rotzien
Cheryl Bradley
Debbie Kennedy
Carol McFarlane
Joanne
Mar 30, 2016
Shane Wilson is the author of A Year Since the Rain, a magical realism novel available now from Snow Leopard Publishing.

Born in Alabama and raised in Georgia, Shane is a child of the southeastern United States where he feels simultaneously at-home and out-of-place. He graduated from Valdosta State University in south Georgia with a Masters in English. He taught college English in Georgia for four

News & Interviews