Start by marking “Shit is real” as Want to Read:
Shit is real

Shit is real

Von heute auf morgen wird Selma von ihrem Freund verlassen. Eine gute Gelegenheit für einen Neuanfang, denkt sie, zieht in eine eigene Wohnung, kündigt den Job und macht sich auf die Suche nach sich selbst. Aber wie geht das eigentlich? Anders als geplant lebt Selma ziellos in den Tag hinein und findet einfach keinen Platz in der Welt. Die Anschaffung einer Waschmaschine s ...more
Published February 1st 2016 by Reprodukt

To ask other readers questions about Shit is real, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shit is real

Start your review of Shit is real
David Schaafsma
Shit is Real by Aisha Frank is a great graphic novel about a young woman devastated by a break-up. Well, all we know is that she has been dumped, and is dealing with it. She doesn’t identify her emotions or detail anything about the relationship or the process of breaking up, but she is living alone, and—I will say—seems to be hallucinating as a condition of her relationship grief. She sees people with cat faces, people who morph into fish. ? Fish are central in this one, but not as in the clich ...more
Andrew
Wow, I think I enjoyed this even more than Franz's Earthling (that I read very recently).

She's really amazing at exploring human emotion in minor drama pieces. I connected with this one a bit better probably just because it explored a person who's similar to age to me. As opposed to the young girl in Earthling.

I really like the surreal elements of the story... and the fact that the story occurs in some weird futuristic world with animal people... although the parallels to our own digital age w
Larakaa
Jul 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
weird but in a good way
Miglė
Aug 11, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, read-in-2019
The style is creative, and the fantasy blends in nicely with reality.
What I found lacking was the story - it is there, but doesn't seem to say something new or more than many stories about post-breakup confusion. I get that this graphic novel is more atmosphere-oriented than story-oriented, but it just didn't make me feel anything, except for the appreciation for the art.
Kricket
At first: "This book is so weird. I don't get it."
And then: "This book is so weird. I love it."
Jesús
Apr 30, 2019 rated it liked it
An expressionist comic about a young, disaffected woman living in a city. It’s a very familiar premise, but it does offer at least a few new angles. But because it is such a familiar setup, I would hope to get some self-deprecating irony or humor to offset the cliches. Without that, it’s a fine book, but not one with very many payoffs.

In an era when cartoonists like Leslie Stein are doing much better work with the same approximate material, I have a hard time finding a strong connection to Aish
Amyleigh
Jul 25, 2018 rated it liked it
Aisha Franz's 'Shit is real', like her first comic, 'Earthling', is weird and slippery. Selma, the protagonist, floats in and out of shifting worlds, unsure of their reality. Worlds populated by fish, by humans morphing into fish, by laundromats, by black cats. The narrative was a bit lacking for me, but it was nice to take a dive into Franz's world once again.
Edward Sullivan
A surreal, dream-like story about a depressed, heartbroken woman named Selma who experiences a series of emotional ups and downs while she occupies her traveling neighbor’s apartment. Originally published in Germany.
Jackie
Jul 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
so so so good!!
Laura (ローラ)
Blurb on the back calls it, "current dystopia". I think that's the best way to describe this. I feel like it 'got' it. Despite the technological "advances" and dream-sequences, this story feels modern and true.
Anna (RattleTheShelves)
that was very very weird. I picked it up from the library on a whim. Also, I didn't know it was German but that's pretty cool.
Romany
Oct 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good visual storytelling. Psychedelic storyline. Still real enough to be kind of heartbreaking.
Erin
Dec 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorite-comics
Selma suddenly got dumped by her boyfriend and has to move into a cheerless new space. While trying to install shelves, she accidentally drills a hole in the wall; a hole that proves to be a portal into another life. Through drunken binges, hallucinations, and vivid nightmares, we experience the visceral sense of loneliness and depression that Selma seems to be going through; it’s super relatable. She occupies her neighbors world, trying to inhabit her put-together life. Will she ultimately disc ...more
K.W. Colyard
Nov 18, 2018 rated it really liked it

Among the many graphic novels that have attempted to capture the distinct feeling of facelessness that our all-digital, social media-minded age presents, Aisha Franz's Shit Is Real may come the closest to accurately portraying that experience. Following Selma — recently single, becoming isolated — as she floats through an increasingly weird landscape of strangers, Shit Is Real fully realizes the utter oddity of young-adult life today.

At 288 pages, Shit Is Real neither lingers too long, nor ends

Rachel Davies
Apr 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i love this!!!!!!!
Joséphine (Word Revel)
Actual rating: 2.5 stars

Initial thoughts: This is the weirdest graphic novel I've ever read. Set some time in the future, it was hard to discern what was reality and what was part of Selma's imagination. Was her ex-boyfriend some sort of alien with a reptile head or was that how she saw him after he threw her out of their apartment? In terms of feeling lonely and cut off from friends, peering in from the outside, not knowing what comes next, this book was relatable, though.

The artwork fit the ps
Thanos Kandris
Sep 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a very surrealist depiction of a very human experience, which is losing your way and sense of self after a traumatizing event. In this book that event is the protagonist losing her job, boyfriend, and apartment all at once. Absolutely gorgeous, the art style is extremely stylistic which is perfect for the extreme use of visual metaphor. Despite the fact that only part of the story is grounded in reality, I never lost track of what was happening, and everything worked together towards the ...more
Kristen
Aug 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018, graphic-novel
the first 20 pages had me bracing myself for the entire book to be an unending surreal, what-the-fuck-is-even-happening phantasmagoria that lacked substance, but it was not that! while the book is definitely hallucinatory and weird, those sequences don't feel like they're needlessly so. the weirdness is connected to the main character's reality, her emotional unraveling post-breakup as she begins to feel disconnected from and ignored by her best friend. i'm relatively new to appreciating/critiqu ...more
Jessica Haider
Jul 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels

This graphic novel is primarily about the main character's loneliness after she breaks up with her boyfriend and in turn feels neglected by her best friend who is busy in her own relationship. This book is odd and surreal drifting in & out of dream sequences. I read it in under an hour and overall found it enjoyable (and weird).
Maggie Gordon
Shit is Real is quite the literary trip. It explores loneliness and the ennui of the modern millennial. It also feels a bit like taking a bunch of drugs and watching the world warp and spin around you. It's hard to get a grip on what is truth and what is simply a dream or desire. A fascinating read and one to ruminate on.
Rebecca
Oct 21, 2018 rated it it was ok
I felt like I never quite caught up to what was happening in Shit Is Real. I started out confused. Then some confusing stuff happened, and then the main character had longer hair, and there was a confusing resolution. I wasn't too captured by the art, which is fine, except it distracted me from the story, which also didn't capture me.
Taylor Zartman
Oct 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oof. As someone who has had their own long, depressive episode, this book gets it. Not only the heaviness of it, but the detachment from reality - the dreams that might be life and the life that might be a dream. Are consequences even real?

Franz knows the power of her visuals. Shit is Real is beautifully drawn and thoughtfully composed. And it's painfully real.
Abby
Dec 16, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comix
3.5 stars. A surreal tale of a young woman who is devastated by a sudden break-up. The story and the art have a dream-like, hypnotic quality that sucked me in and kept me off balance. There's a lot going on here, including some pretty sharp commentary on modern-day society and how technology can make it harder to find meaningful connection with other humans.
Minjeong
Jan 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
I enjoyed the scenes that weave between real life and fantasy. Comics are so good at economically creating imaginary worlds, and Aisha Franz does that here too. I stared at the fish in the tank at work today and thought of this book.
The critique I'd have is that the drawings are a bit rough and and not as edited or considered as I'd like them to be as a reader.
el
Apr 29, 2019 rated it liked it
This was ok, to me reflecting on the struggle of what it means to find and understand oneself, and then be able to live life based on that knowledge. I was attracted to the simplicity of the illustration, and the function of technology in the world. Usually don't go for anthropomorphic animals but it worked ok.
tinaathena
Dec 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
I'd kept seeing this in the library and paying it up because the illustration style is a bit crude for my taste. But the story and world are really interesting and by the time I finished it, is fine around to the art. Very weird dreamy story in a sci fi setting and still a bit uncertain about what was reality.
Shoshanna
Aug 20, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-comics
I liked this comic OK. I liked that it dealt with women feeling alienated and out of place, I get that totally, and I also like the growing importance of woman to woman friendship and intimacy... but overall it was a little too wierd for me. I normally don't read comics like this.
Doublezerodomino
A fun, quick read. High fashion characters, time jumps, dream-states and realistic modern relationships. Raw, unrefined art that depicts clear emotional states. Black cat FTW and a shit is real life <3 ...more
Angela Murat
Oct 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is SO good and SO weird in the best way. It was so surreal, it felt like stepping into a warped world from the first page. It reminded me a lot of an episode of Bojack Horseman, or Black Mirror. The drawing style could not have fit the story better. What an emotional story! I never felt a character's frustration and loneliness so much.
Marcela Huerta
May 05, 2020 rated it liked it
i wanted to like this so much more than i did. aisha's style is extremely appealing to me, the way she captures movement and even the quietest expressions has always been so impressive to me, but i just found there wasn't enough to hold on to here, narratively.
Goodreads Librari...: Please merge these two records 2 195 Jan 10, 2018 10:30AM

• Mauvaises filles
  • Coyote Doggirl
  • Brat
  • Moi aussi je voulais l'emporter
  • Girl Town