Start by marking “Teach Me to Forget” as Want to Read:
Teach Me to Forget

Teach Me to Forget

3.93  ·  Rating details ·  812 Ratings  ·  145 Reviews
An alternate cover edition exists here.

This is the story of Ellery, a girl who learns how to live while waiting for the date she chose to die.

Ellery's bought the gun, made arrangements for her funeral, and even picked the day. A Wednesday. Everything has fallen into place.

Now all she has to do is die.

When her plans go awry and the gun she was going to kill herself with br
Published December 2nd 2016 by Simon Pulse

To ask other readers questions about Teach Me to Forget, please sign up.

Erica Chapman Thanks for your question! Ellery is 17 years old.
Erica Chapman I wrote it because I lost my dad to suicide and I wanted to know why he did it. I don't know if we'll ever really know why someone chooses to end…moreI wrote it because I lost my dad to suicide and I wanted to know why he did it. I don't know if we'll ever really know why someone chooses to end their life, but I hope Ellery can bring some understanding and empathy for others. It did for me.(less)

Erica Chapman
Oct 11, 2015 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-wrote-this-omg
Thank you so much for stopping by the TMTF page ;o) Please feel free to ask me questions. I love talking to fellow readers!

Please understand that while I add a good mix of humor and sarcasm into Ellery's character, TMTF does have triggers such as suicide, depression, and loss of a loved one. Please read and discuss this topic with someone you love. Read other books that deal with similar subjects like Kathleen Glasgow's GIRL IN PIECES, or books by Ellen Hopkins or Jennifer Brown, and countless o
Zainab Shah
Apr 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: faves
ONE OF THE MOST UNDERRATED BOOKS I'VE EVER READ!
The story is of a 17 year old girl named Ellery who has decided to kill herself. Her 6 year old sister had died a year ago and she blames herself for that. Ellery has decided the date and has saved up money for her funeral- now all she has to do is pull the trigger. But it turns out that the gun is broken. She goes to the store to replace the gun where a security guard of her age catches her. He turns out to be Colter,his classmate. Colter is now d
Carlos
Jun 20, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: ya-btr
This was a big meh for me . This was such a corny book and sometimes corny works but I don't think it did in this book, the main character wants to kill herself .... but suddenly a white knight comes to rescue her (basically) and voila now maybe everything could be different.... while I have criticized some books before for over complicating suicide , I think this book overly simplified it . We got no depth and no more .... and I think by now any author could write a better plot for a book than ...more
Brenda Drake
Oct 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I was lucky enough to read an early version of TEACH ME TO FORGET. Erica can write emotion and multi-layered characters so well. I found myself crying and laughing while reading. This story has so much heart and all the feelings. I couldn't put it down until the end. So amazing!
Karen Hattrup
May 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
TEACH ME TO FORGET is a poignant and unflinching look at Ellery, a teenage girl who has suffered serious trauma and wants to take her own life. Written with honesty and care, it’s a story that is deep with compassion and sympathy for its protagonist, even as it examines – through other characters – the repercussions that suicide has on those left behind. This is dark and difficult subject matter, but it’s handled with a deft touch, and, best of all, is driven by a wonderful narrator. Ellery is w ...more
Amy's Book Reviews
When Ellery's plan to commit suicide are thwarted by a broken gun, her classmate Colton tries to change he mind. He couldn't save his his brother from killing himself, and vows to do better.

TEACH ME TO FORGET is an irresponsible, possibly even dangerous story about what teenagers should absolutely not do if they are concerned about a suicidal friend.

When Ellery notices similar suicidal tendencies in a childhood friend, she tries to talk to Dean and checks up on him when he misses school. Folks,
Kerri
Nov 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
One of the most heart wrenching, funny, beautiful, dark, swoon-worthy, and hopeful stories I've ever read. This masterful debut features cracks of light that not only shine through, but shatter the darkness of depression and living through loss. I loved and rooted for Ellery the entire book. Chapman's writing is poignant and infinitely readable. I will be fangirling over this for a long time to come. This is a must-read, now and always.
Nadine
Apr 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Trigger warning: self-harm, suicide, suicidal ideation
**I started adding these trigger warning to my reviews when I noticed other people adding them as a way to help those who are sensitive to those topics. I never put much stock in it until now. These trigger warnings are very real. If you are even the slightest bit sensitive to self-harm, suicide, or, suicidal ideation do NOT read this book.

Teach Me to Forget is not what I thought it would be. I was expecting a story about a girl's failed su
Melanie Hooyenga
Oct 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I read an early version of this book and my first reaction was "everyone needs to read this." Erica has an amazing ability to create characters who make you laugh and cry and want to hold them close. This story has stayed with me long after I read it and I encourage anyone who wants a book that will knock them off their feet to give it a try.

EDIT: I've now read the final version and love it even more. THIS IS A MUST READ.
Jude
Dec 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A beautifully haunting novel, with a funny & smart narrator. I read this back in 2012 and I still think about Ellery and Colter to this day, three years later!
Marina Zala
** Books 42 - 2017 **

2,9 of 5 stars!

The premise looks promising but I dunno why this books is not really captivating me. It is just about story who finally didn't suicides herself since love is saving her. i'm kinda wondering is it an author fans of Nicholas sparks? I found "The Notebook" being wrote down in this pieces.

Jay G
Dec 29, 2016 rated it liked it
Want to see more bookish things from me? Check out my YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfer...

3.5 Stars

When Ellery had her suicide all planned out. She knows the day, she hired a cleaning crew she even made funeral arrangements. She definitely was not anticipating that her gun would break. She tries to return the gun, only to find that she has the wrong receipt. Just her luck, the security guard who stops her is a boy from her English class, Colter Sawyer. Realising what she wa
Lisa Mandina
Dec 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
If you read and appreciated Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher, this is a book that to me is just as good. It's about a girl who is going to commit suicide. It's done from a different aspect than Asher's book. This is told as the girl is going through her actual plan.

This book is so good. The way Ellery feels is described very well. Her being so set on the whole idea was heartbreaking, but you could kind of see her reasoning, or at least why it made sense to her. I have had my own issues with de
Lily Grant
Jan 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
5 / 5 stars

I savored the words, processed the phrases and slowly fell deeper into the characters. A moment separated her from life and death and in-between those moments, I stood at the edge alongside her.

Trembling hands held firmly onto sanity that occasionally mixed with reality. My pulse danced alongside my heart as the ache from Ellery's heart pierced into mine.

Instances of humor lit my face on fire with bursts of laughter.

Colter and Ellery were each others opposites as well as each others e
Adriana Mather
May 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This heart wrenching story of a high school senior is beautifully and delicately written. Chapman is masterful in her treatment of 17-year-old Ellery and her struggles with guilt and depression following the death of her younger sister and the breakdown of her parents' marriage. Ellery captured my heart and I found myself pulling for her to heal from her trauma. Brava!
HelEinir
Dec 17, 2016 rated it did not like it
This book wouldn't have a plot if someone had cared to get Ellery a good grief-counselor and made sure she stuck with him/her until they were certain she was alright (The fact that someone as transparent as this girl managed to fool her therapist into thinking she was "fine" is beyond me).

It's been a while since I last read a book that tried so hard it gave me second-hand embarrassment so badly that I almost gave it two stars out of pity. The writing, the characters, the plot (which although not
Gwen
Jul 23, 2017 rated it liked it
Grace
Mar 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Really really really really good!
Teenreadsdotcom
Jan 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Most teenagers look forward to their birthdays, proms and vacations. Ellery looks forward to the day she has chosen to commit suicide. After battling depression for a year, she has decided she just wants it all to go away. But when the gun breaks during her attempt to use it, all her plans go down the drain. Frantic, she drives to the Kmart nearby in order to return the defective gun for a new one. Only one problem: she has the wrong receipt and is caught by the security guard who just happens t ...more
Tabitha Lord
Jan 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Ellery Stevens plans to kill herself. Her sister’s tragic death, for which she blames herself, still haunts her, and the weight of guilt and loss seems never to abate. But Ellery’s plan fails, and she’s forced to live just a little longer. Laced with equal parts tragedy and humor, Teach Me To Forget compassionately and bravely tackles the subject of teen suicide. Ellery’s voice is authentic and her pain heartbreaking. But the book also finds hope and joy blossoming amidst the angst. Read my inte ...more
pattthereader
Jun 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Brittany
Aug 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was one that hooked me right away.

The last 13 chapters had to be in one sitting because it became so intense and emotional.

Ellery is in a deep depression throughout this entire book, and despite all the "normal" teenage antics in this story and the ebbs and flows of the plot, this fact doesn't change and that's one thing I really respect about this story.

The side characters steal the show in this one...Colton, Jackson, Dean....they flesh out the many facets of Ellerys complicated persona
Caitlin Christensen
Feb 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Find me and my reviews on www.thebookshire.com and on instagram

You know a book is going to be intense when it starts out with a literal “bang.” Ellery has a gun and she is absolutely not afraid to use it – in fact, we meet her mere minutes before she pulls the trigger and attempts to commit suicide. It’s a decidedly dramatic way get to know someone.

But when the gun refuses to go off, foiling her suicide attempts, Ellery’s life gets more complicated than ever as she hurries to come up with ano
Jenn
Dec 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of Thirteen Reasons Why
I went into this book knowing that it dealt with very harsh subject matter. Depression and suicides are nothing to be taken lightly so I was interested in how Chapman would present this. And while I didn't agree with the actions of certain people in the book, there was a good amount of realism present.

The book opens with Ellery about to kill herself. She has everything planned out - right down to hiring the cleaning service to take care of the mess so her mother doesn't have to. But when the sh
Melissa Robles
Dec 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
*This review can also be found at The Reader and the Chef! Thanks to Merit Press for sending me a copy in exchange of my unbiased opinion.*

Oh, my heart. I just finished reading Teach Me to Forget and I. Can't. Stop. Feeling. All of the emotions. Love. Hate. Anger. Frustration. So much sadness. Ugh. But I loved this book. So darn much.

I have to be honest with you guys and tell you that despite my love for contemporary books, I tend to stray far away from emotional reads. Not that they are not goo
Hannah
Oct 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Where to begin... I've witnessed this book grow from its earliest stages into what it has become now, and I have to say, I love, love, love what it has blossomed into! Erica is really good at blending the lighter and darker elements in the story of Ellery's life, and that balance worked to evoke a large array of emotions from me. She had me laughing out loud a few times, and sniffling and teary-eyed a decent amount of times. The characters Erica creates feel so real, I feel like I personally kno ...more
Wayne K
Sep 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I was going to read this with my 17 year old daughter...but she devoured it overnight... So I ended up reading out of pure enjoyment. Erica does a masterful job of story telling. She pulled me in and reminded me of childhood memories I had long forgotten and wanted to leave that way. By the end of the book I was vocally cursing Ellery for her antics! A worthwhile read... if you are going to read with your children, I recommend reading it before you give it to them... once they start...they canno ...more
Trinity
May 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book very much . As soon as I picked it up I couldn't put it down. The only thing I didn't like about my book was that it was way too short and I wasn't a huge fan of the ending. But I really enjoyed reading it and I highly recommend reading it if you haven't yet !!!
Amber Smith
Sep 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
In this stunningly brave and necessary debut, Erica Chapman takes us on a journey to the edge and back—exploring grief, depression, and suicide with candor, insight, and above all, hope.
Amanda
May 16, 2017 rated it liked it
Reading Addicts : Teach Me to Forget by Erica M. Chapman 03/11/17 12 5 Mar 16, 2017 11:06AM
  • To Catch a Killer (Erin Blake #1)
  • Flower
  • The Hidden Memory of Objects
  • Girl in Pieces
  • American Street
  • Alterations
  • The Continent (The Continent, #1)
  • You're Welcome, Universe
  • Last Seen Leaving
  • The Edge of Everything
  • Little & Lion
  • #famous
Erica M. Chapman writes dark, emotional YA novels with a burst of humor, and lighter contemporaries with smart-ass protagonists. Her debut novel, Teach Me to Forget (Simon Pulse) is out now! She's a member of SCBWI & Sweet16s, and a lifetime Lions and Michigan football fan who loves alternative music. She loves to tweet and watch various CW & Freeform shows while typing her next story on a ...more
More about Erica M. Chapman...

“Remind me again, why are you talking to me? I thought we had an understanding. I said I wasn’t a petri dish and you agreed.” 1 likes
“You should have just left me there.”

He pulls out of the cemetery and onto the road. “Don’t be so dramatic. Besides I told you I would never leave you. Just like you never left me.”

“I think you’ve repaid that debt, Jackson Gray.”

He shakes his head. “So quickly you forget our pact.”

I put my foot on his dash and hold my hands in front of the vents. I still can’t believe he’s still rescuing me, years later. “Who could forget that. You were cowering on the floor of the library.”

“I wasn’t cowering.”

“Okay. You were leaning down to get a book when large bullies materialized in front of you.” I glance at him. “Is that better?”

He rolls his eyes. “No one’s ever done something like that for me before. Even though I’d never admit a girl fought one of my battles.”

I adjust the seat belt so it’s tighter. “Get over it, Jackson Gray. I did what anyone would do.”

“No one else would have stuck up for the new kid.” He shrugs. “Is that the type of person you’d leave freezing in a cemetery?”

“You mean, you’d leave other people freezing in a cemetery?”

He sighs and nudges me in the shoulder. “Just shut up.”
1 likes