Start by marking “Behind Picket Fences” as Want to Read:
Behind Picket Fences

Behind Picket Fences

Behind Picket Fences is the story of how four families deal with their trials and triumphs. Sharing the same neighborhood, even spending time together, no family knows the truth about the difficulties the others face. On the outside, Sidra and Farris have the biggest house and the most expensive cars. What no one else sees, is their struggle with infertility. If their drea ...more
Published July 1st 2016 by Fb Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Behind Picket Fences, please sign up.
Hend Hegazi I am so flattered in your interest, Fatima, but I don't plan on making any of my books into series. I know that some readers won't get a real sense of…moreI am so flattered in your interest, Fatima, but I don't plan on making any of my books into series. I know that some readers won't get a real sense of closure, but I like to let my readers imagine what happens next in the lives of the characters. (less)

Papatia Feauxzar
Sep 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Behind Picket Fences is the second novel of Hend Hegazi, an Egyptian-American Muslim writer who lives in Alexandria, Egypt with her husband and four children. Her second novel just like the first one is nothing short than a masterpiece masha’Allah. It follows the lives of four suburban American families; one of which is Muslim. Compared to her first one, Normal Calm, Behind Picket Fences is more of a mainstream novel.
So we have Sidra and Farris, Mariam and Morgan, Summer and Porter and May and H
Janette
Aug 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a refreshing read! I truly enjoyed the friendship dynamics of this book and the smoothness of how Islamic principles were threaded throughout the story. My favorite chapter was the one called Mothers and Daughters, I was moved by how May handled her daughter's dilemma, beautiful! There were twists that I didn't expect and the characters were varied and endearing. I would enjoy a sequel if there's one in the works! I want to know what happens with Sidra and Farris and Porter and Summer espec ...more
Nabeela Noorani
Jan 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
The book is filled with real, painful issued which affect people every day, Muslim or otherwise, and it is beautifully demonstrated as such in this novel. The story revolves around the lives of four neighbouring families, all fighting their own personal battles behind closed doors.

The four parts to the story is then exquisitely interwoven as the four households begin seeing more of each other, and, to an extent, share in one another’s pain, as they do one another’s joy as well.

One thing I absolu
Peggy
Feb 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Love being able to escape from my reality to another. This book takes you through four families and what they deal with. This is a fantastic book that's well thought out and very well written! Each page will diffidently have you glued wanting more and needing to know what will happen next. Highly recommend!
Sheena
Aug 24, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: giveaways
It took me a long time to finish reading this book, not because I didn't like it, but because I had to stop reading so many times to think, to ponder, and to consider all perspectives. This was a true exercise in empathy. I loved and hated the characters. I became angry, I cried. Definitely not an easy-breezy, can't-put-it-down, summer beach read for me. It was too contemplative for that. Couldn't be absorbed in a few days. To me, good writing elicits strong emotions, and this book did that.
Aisha Idris
Oct 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
The story is well written and carried forward in a systematic manner so it never got confusing. I always have a hard time remembering the character’s names but Hend Hegazi proved me wrong this time with her writing style. At the end of the novel I wished there was more to read about Summer and Porter. But overall it is a good read and one must add it to their reading list.
Raheemah
Jan 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was simple to read.
Anniek
Feb 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Four houses, four family's and four different ways of living. Everybody has their own opinions, their own choices to make and their own struggles. Most of the times these battles can be won together, but sometimes they have to be faced alone. Meet the people who live behind the picket fences:

Mariam and Morgan are living in the smallest house of their Street. Mariam decided to be a stay-at-home-mom for their four children. Unfortunately Morgan's income is not enough to cover the expenses. This f
Umm Afraz
Jul 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Behind Picket Fences by author Hend Hegazi is an emotional roller-coaster ride/read. The author takes us through the journey of 4 families living in a neighbourhood, who are very different from each other by their faith, background, morals, and lifestyle. [Read more...]

In Sahih Muslim, the Prophet salAllahu alayhi wa sallam has said regarding a true believer: "He should do good to the neighbour." This book greatly revolves around this hadith. At times of happiness, and at times of adversity, the
Lisa
Feb 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A great read! I like the author Hend's style of writing and how she finds a way to make the characters relatable on some level to the readers. We all have gone through something in our lives and like most people we do not wear our issues on our sleeves for the world to know. I like how this book shows that everyone is battling something that we may not know nor understand. I enjoy this book and highly recommend it.
Mercedes
Jan 08, 2017 rated it liked it
3.5 Stars..

This was a good story, but I didn't realize it was so religious. Every other page was 'God this', and 'God that', and 'Praise be to God'...blah, blah, blah. There's nothing wrong with that if that's your thing, but nowhere in the book synopsis does this say anything about God and religion. If you don't like reading about that sort of thing, you'll definitely want to skip this as you'll be beaten over the head with it throughout the entire book.

The characters weren't bad...a little 2 d
Fatima Bheekoo-shah
Aug 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Behind Picket Fences is a story which revolves around 4 couples who live on street in. Right off the bat we are introduced to the characters when they are all going through a turmoil in their lives. I really liked the fact that the story developed from the word go. We are given a short insight to each couple in every chapter, while the stories are not entwined there was a thread of familiarity between all. Even though there is not jus one main protagonist, Hend does a superb job of given us a ba ...more
Jessica Crouse
Jan 24, 2017 rated it it was ok
I received this book in a Goodreads giveaway.

Things I liked: the Arabic glossary in the back and the dynamics and interactions between the neighbors throughout the book. It seemed like the author had a clear vision for the book and a voice that was consistent throughout the book, which I can respect and appreciate, especially given that the author's voice and the strength that it gave the book made me feel like I had an opportunity to better understand a culture that I'm not so familiar with. T
Ayah Aboelela
Jul 01, 2016 rated it liked it
Behind Picket Fences is fast-paced, interesting, insightful, and shows that there is always more than one side to a person's life. It shows that a person's life may appear perfect on the outside, but there is always something else hiding behind a seemingly perfect life, and everyone has his or her own struggles. I liked it because the storyline is realistic, and it doesn't have a 'happily ever after' sort of style; instead, it depicts each of the four families' lives as if they really did happen ...more
Donna Dolansky
Oct 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-club-reads
A lovely book about 4 neighborhood families and the struggles that they face behind closed doors. Hend writes beautifully. I could relate to something in each of the characters' lives. I loved how she intertwined faith and family relationships into the story. It was a quick read but satisfying. I highly recommend!
Shoohada Khanom
Jul 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I love the title, it's exactly what the book is about. It follows four families who show they have happy comfortable lives but actually they've all got issues. There's a bit of everything in this book, happiness, love, betrayal, illness. The characters are very realistic, they remind me of some people I know. Great read!
Nikole Swan- reaves
Worth Reading

I truly enjoyed this book. It shows us that every household has its own situations and what you think looks like a perfect family may not be so. The only criticism I have is the ending, it felt abrupt but that could be because I enjoyed it so much I didn't want it to end.
Christa
  • Her Nowhere
  • The Necklace: The Dusky Club June 1962
  • This Side of Eden
  • The Twenty Dollar Bill
  • Where's Billie? (Skeeter Hughes Mystery #1)
  • Autism Goes to School (School Daze, #1)
  • Waiting for Belinda (The Zook Family Revisited #1)
  • The Unorthodox Arrival of Pumpkin Allan
  • تغطية العالم!: بدعة الإلزام بتغطية الوجه
  • Tempest Torn (New Hope, #2)
  • The French Girl
  • One Week (One Week Series, #1)
  • The Brevity of Roses (Bay of Dreams, #1)
  • Bang: Memoirs of a Relationship Assassin
  • Recipes From My Home Kitchen : Asian And American Comfort Food
  • The Island of Ted
  • The Secret Keeper (The Secret Keeper, #1)
  • A Place to Call Home (Front Porch Promises #1)
Hend was born and raised in the USA. She graduated from Smith College with a major in biology and a minor in religion. Hend is a full-time mother of four, and finds that writing helps in the struggle to keep her sanity.