Start by marking “An Informal Christmas (Informal Romance, #1)” as Want to Read:
An Informal Christmas (Informal Romance, #1)

An Informal Christmas

(Informal Romance #1)

Rylie Durham is used to dealing with all sorts of people and situations in her role as a Child Life Specialist at a local hospital. Why, then, does Zach York bring out the worst in her? After all, he's there to donate toys to the children she loves. Could it be that she sees a kindred spirit in him? Rylie knows a thing or two about hiding a bruised heart from the world... ...more
Published March 8th 2016 by Ladybug Lit (first published November 13th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about An Informal Christmas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about An Informal Christmas

Rachel
I absolutely LOVED these books!! They are well written and draw you in emotionally to the characters lives and what they are going through. Although each book can be read as a stand alone, you'll not want to miss the other books in the series!

This author has a good sense of humor and you will find yourself chuckling at the humorous things that the characters say or do. I love a book that not only gets to you emotionally but also makes you laugh. All three books have a medical background that I e
Crystal (Books Are Sanity!!!)
So this is a Christian romance novella. The subject matter with the main character Rylie working with kids who have cancer is definitely heavy. But it really gets you into the world of childhood cancer and how the patients, their families and even those who work with them are affected. The romance between Zach and Rylie was slow to happen but it made for a more realistic relationship. My only criticism of the book was what I felt was an abrupt ending. I was expecting more and was shocked when I ...more
Tina at Mommynificent
This very moving novella is so good, but rather poorly named in my opinion. This is a very emotional story that begins in July and happens to end at Christmas, but it isn't really about Christmas. The main Christmas event in the book is actually a Christmas formal put on for the kids in the pediatric oncology ward at the hospital the main character works at, so I found the title a bit ironic. Nonetheless, this is a wonderful story. It is about a woman who works with children suffering from cance ...more
Lori
Jun 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book. I had to snicker at some of ir, cry and rejoice.
This is told from a kids hospital of view. We have a very special nurse (Riley). She likes to speak before she thinks about how it would sound to others. She also knew that from early on what she wanted to do. I admire her work ethics and especially her faith in God.
I loved how she talked to him on a daily basis which us what some of us forgets to do.
Then we have Zac who loves donating to the children.
I think it's weird how yo
Janice Sisemore
Nov 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2015
Rylie works at a hospital where children have cancer, Zach keeps donating to them, she thinks there has to be a reason and finally she finds out. Rylie does her best to made every holiday a special one for the kids. This is a very good story, love the characters so much.
Michelle Lunsford
Nov 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christmas
Perhaps I was in just the right mood for this one, but it seemed everything about this book clicked with me. I enjoyed the chemistry between the leads. The setting and Rylie's job serving children cancer patients and their families provided moments of both joy and struggle. The way the couple grew together through both personal interaction and email correspondence had me giddy. And I thought Gray nailed the faith aspect perfectly, painting a beautiful picture of trust in God even when life is to ...more
Emily F
May 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute and sweet

This was a cute, sweet, and fun read! I enjoyed the setting - pediatric unit of a hospital and how the unique circumstances of this unit helped bring two characters together. There were Christian elements, but they fit well with the rest of the story. This was sweet and clean, I'd rate it PG, only because some of the secondary characters were in the pediatric unit for life-threatening conditions.
Pam
Aug 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rylie is a Child Life rep for a children's hospital. Already in a bad mood, she gets off on the wrong foot with Zach, who is at her office to donate some stuffed animals for the children. Each month he comes back with another donation. They finally start working together. He has plenty of questions for her but doesn't share about himself or why his eyes look so sad. I enjoyed this cute, though sad at times, romance.
Beverly
Oct 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Will make you cry

The author was able to give the reader romance while telling he story of pediatric cancer patients and the staff that work with them. The details were so vivid, I felt like I was right there. The Bible verses were well chosen. Would have liked a happy ending for the niece in Japan and more about their romance after Christmas.
Chanover55
Jan 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ryle is a Child Life Specialist in a northern Virginia hospital when she runs into Zach, an unexpected donor to the children'S wing she works on. She is not at her best when she meets him and he is a bit standoffish. Can these 2 work together? While I enjoyed the story, it seemed to end aburptly; this was not billed as a short story but comes across as such.
Ellen White
Jul 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rylie has a difficult, emotional job, keeping spirits up for her young patients. Zach comes with toys, she wonders why. Time spent together, they learn, that both have bruised spirits, and God and being together help heal the hurt, and bring a better spiritual path for the,. Good heartfelt book to read, either in July as this starts or in Dec
Robin Clemons
Dec 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting

The story was interesting but not enthralling. Normally I would read a book from cover to cover in a few days, however this book did not capture my attention to the exclusion of all else. The characters needed further refinement and the back story could use some cleaning out.
Kim
Dec 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful story!

Make sure you have tissues! This was the first story I read by Heather. You will learn a lot about children in the hospital and their families. You want to pray more for families whose children are sick or who have died. There is a great Christian message about how to turn to God even in difficult times. A great story too!
Courtney
Feb 05, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
This was a lovely story with a realistic plot. The characters which led this story and held together everything which made up this novel were fantastic at what they set out to accomplish. If you would like to place yourself into a book, to become that character, then this is the novel for you.
esc
May 07, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Rather Boring

I stopped at 60% because I didn't care to read a story with the main focus on the cancer patients with slow moving interaction between the two main characters. The other two Informal Romance books are much better.
Katy Eeten
Sep 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really well done and sweet!

This was such a sweet, relatable story of leaning on God through the ups and downs. It was well written with a strong plot while having the right amount of romance thrown in. Definitely recommend!
Kelley Marie
Cute book

Cute book with a sweet romance. It definitely talked about some sad topics though. Pediatric cancer and the death of a child are heavy topics, but the author did a good job educating readers without totally bumming them out.
Rachel Heueisen
I feel like the main character was nicely developed, but the other characters fell a bit flat and needed more description and development. Overall though, an easy read. Would read more by this author.
Jenn
Dec 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quick read

Simple, heartfelt Christian story. Life can be hard. You need to find how to beat handle life. God is the answer for me just like the characters in this book.
Lynn Schafer
Dec 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Avid Reader

The book was very good. It had a unique plot, stayed clean throughout with romance included. The vocabulary was good and she had a good editor. I highly recommend it.
Karen
Dec 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was a great book

This was a great short story. It was clean without any bad language or graphic content.
Lynda Knapp
Oct 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable!

I would read more by Heather Gray. This story was well-written. This was a light and easy read. I do recommend this book.
Dana Jacobs
Feb 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Liked but not loved

I liked the content of this book. I wanted more of an ending and hopefully in the next book in the series it will talk about previous characters.
Pinkpigg33
Dec 19, 2017 rated it liked it

This was a fun quick seasonal read.
Bridget
Dec 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.8 got it for free from amazon. it was a christian romance which i don't have a problem with but can see it being off putting to others.
Charlene Davis
Jan 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Filled with Faith

Very good and makes you feel good. The story has its sad and very happy moments. You can feel them through the words.
Mary Beth
Dec 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Judy
Dec 30, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute clean romance

Not being much of a fan of romance and find it trite, thus the 3 star rating. However the concept of the story being in a children's cancer ward made it a bit more of a story line and found it draw me in. Predictable on the romance side but the compassionate side did shine out in the storyline and the happy ending made it a worthwhile simple holiday read relieving the tension caused by the celebrations and took us out of the real world with a lightness the can only be found aw
Pam
Nov 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An Informal Christmas: Informal Romance Book 1 is by Heather Gray. This book deals with the Child’s Life manner of working with Children who are terminally ill. This makes you thankful for the good health you and your family have and shows how people with terminal cancer cope with hospitalization.
Rylie dealt daily with cancer and its effect on children as she worked as a Child Life specialist in the hospital. She tried to arrange things that the children wanted to make their lives seem more nor
Rachel Rittenhouse
Dec 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Rachel’s Back Talk:
5 – award winning covers

I’m an addict for Christmas books – especially ones that are new and have a different twist! Heather Gray’s novella was definitely one at that! I absolutely loved reading An Informal Christmas, and especially enjoyed the tie-in to Thanksgiving as well.

Rylie has a very difficult job — one that I’m not sure I could handle. She deals with sick and sometimes dying children on a daily basis, and Heather really portrayed Rylie’s character in a believable ligh
« previous 1 3 next »

• Believe in Me (Love in Store, #2)
  • Amish Knitting Circle Christmas
  • Bookishly Ever After (Book Nerds and Boyfriends Collection #1)
  • Mistletoe Memories (Romancing America)
  • Three Brothers Lodge - The Complete Series Box Set
  • Pieces on Earth
  • Christmas Belles of Georgia
  • The Proposal (Porter Family #3.5)
  • Sweetened with Honey (A Farm Fresh Romance #3)
  • All I Have to Give
  • Merry's Christmas: a love story (Redeeming Romance Series Book 1)
  • Christmas Diamond (Jewel #3.5)
  • Good Enough for a Princess (The Montevaro Monarchy, #1)
  • The Happiest Season
  • The Unwanted Assistant
  • The Thorn Keeper (Penned in Time, #2)
  • Lost and Found, Stories of Christmas
  • Targeted for Danger
Heather loves coffee, God, her family, and laughter – not necessarily in that order! She writes approachable characters who, through the highs and lows of life, find a way to love God, embrace each day, and laugh out loud right along with her. And, yeah, her books almost always have someone who's a coffee addict. Some things just can't be helped.

Despite being born into different eras, Heather's ch

Informal Romance (5 books)
  • An Informal Arrangement (Informal Romance, #2)
  • An Informal Introduction (Informal Romance, #3)
  • An Informal Date (Informal Romance #4)
  • An Informal Affair (Informal Romance, #5)
“Jesus invited everyone — including children — to come to Him, and He promised abundant life to those who accepted the invitation.” 1 likes