Start by marking “Dare Mighty Things” as Want to Read:
Dare Mighty Things

Dare Mighty Things

(Dare Mighty Things #1)

3.96  ·  Rating details ·  779 Ratings  ·  236 Reviews
THE RULES ARE SIMPLE: You must be gifted. You must be younger than twenty-five. You must be willing to accept the dangers that you will face if you win.

Seventeen-year-old Cassandra Gupta’s entire life has been leading up to this—the opportunity to travel to space. But to secure a spot on this classified mission, she must first compete against the best and brightest people
Published October 10th 2017 by HarperTeen

To ask other readers questions about Dare Mighty Things, please sign up.
Heather Most likely yes? DMT is currently only available in the US/Canada markets - so sorry! Hopefully it will be available in more territories before long.…moreMost likely yes? DMT is currently only available in the US/Canada markets - so sorry! Hopefully it will be available in more territories before long. <3 (less)
Caraval by Stephanie GarberThe Hate U Give by Angie ThomasWintersong by S. Jae-JonesGilded Cage by Vic JamesBlood Rose Rebellion by Rosalyn Eves
YA Debuts 2017
207 books — 1,542 voters
Lord of Shadows by Cassandra ClareKing's Cage by Victoria AveyardCarve the Mark by Veronica RothCaraval by Stephanie GarberFlame in the Mist by Renee Ahdieh
YA Novels of 2017
1,082 books — 7,388 voters

More lists with this book...

Lala BooksandLala
Jan 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
I have no idea how to go about attempting to explain this book or my thoughts on it. It was...a ride. Rating undecided.
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
Dec 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
What........... the fuck

(Also, note: this would have been 5 stars if not for the super unnecessary romance)
Korrina  (OwlCrate)
Feb 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Very interesting concept and plot. It got a little bit strange for me towards the end, but I won't say anything more than that. One thing I absolutely loved were the characters she befriends throughout the competition. They're all so fleshed out. And so much diversity! Our main character is asexual, and I've never read from the point of view of someone who identifies that way. Even if you don't like sci-fi I think you'll enjoy this story!

This was a YA sci-fi story about a girl competing for the opportunity to go into space.

Cassie was quite a fierce character who was able to shut off her worries and fears and do what needed to be done. She also wasn’t afraid of a little competition, and kept fighting even when things seemed bleak.

The storyline in this was about Cassie competing to go into space on a special mission which we learned more abo
Heather
Mar 16, 2016 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
This is my book! It was tons of fun to write, and I can't wait for you guys to read it.
mith
{you can read this review on my blog as well}
---
Oh boy. I half liked this, half didn’t care for it.

Look, this is really heavily science based. It literally puts the science in science fiction. I think a lot of STEM readers will enjoy this one because it’s clear—well, it is to me—that the author knew what she was talking about and that research had been done well, and done extremely thoroughly. I didn’t understand any of the little science things they talked about.

There’s a few characters in th
Emmy Neal
Mar 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fans of Cinder and The Selection
Full disclosure, Heather is my critique partner--this review will become less vague when the book goes to print! I've read DARE MIGHTY THINGS through many drafts, and fallen in love with all of these characters. (Even the ones I hate, I love. It's crippling.) She has a great voice, strong character arcs, and awesome suspense--but my favorite part about Cassie's story is how hard she works for what she wants.

Cassie is an Indian-American intern at NASA when her boss recommends her to a classified
Hollis
"If we're old enough for space, we should be old enough for a drink."

Wowzer. DARE MIGHTY THINGS was a mighty surprise.

"Ten points to Gryffindor."
"How old are you? My grandma read Harry Potter."

Set in the not-so-distant future, Kaczynski establishes a world not unlike ours.

Genetic engineering used to be a moral gray area, but now that infertility was becoming a worldwide epidemic, and in vitro was performed almost as a matter of course, the laws had gone lax. Geneering was safe and effective, an
i.
Oct 26, 2017 rated it liked it
Can you imagine being given the chance to go on a (secret) mission to space? Cassandra Gupta couldn't believe it when she was chosen to be part of a selected group. She was young, intelligent, fit and with a will strong enough to propel her into space without a spaceship.

This is the way Heather Kaczynski's first novel begins and YA Sci-fi fans will find it thoroughly entertaining . I was unable to put it down , I wanted to know who the selected ones were and I just couldn't wait to find out what
rachel
Nov 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Dare Mighty Things was a book I put off because it was a competition about winning the chance to be the first teen to go to space. And space? It used to be an instant hard pass for me, but something has happened this year that has me slowly reaching for science fiction more and more... to the point where I realise I might have a niche interest in space cadets stories.

Regardless, there was a lot of things going against my enjoyment of the story but it ended hitting all of my checkpoints and becom
Inge

I requested Dare Mighty Things for a lot of reasons. First of all, I'm a really big fan of space stories, and putting that in a competition setting is bound to get me excited. While it wasn't a perfect story, there were still a lot of things to be enjoyed.

In a world where genetic engineering is a common happenstance, Cassandra Gupta receives an invitation to take part in a top secret competition. The prize? Becoming a pioneer astronaut in an even more top secret NASA space mission. Our
Anna Priemaza
Mar 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
WHEN THIS BOOK COMES OUT YOU ALL NEED TO BUY IT IMMEDIATELY AND THEN READ READ READ UNTIL YOU ARE DONE BECAUSE AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

I AM SO EXCITED ABOUT THIS BOOK I COULD WRITE THIS WHOLE REVIEW IN ALL CAPS. I won't. BUT I WANT TO!!!

I have been so desperate to read this book, and it did not disappoint! Astronauts! Space! Brilliant, ambitious teen girls! Competition! Diversity! Top secret missions! Friendship! Sabotage! Space! Astronauts! Space!

It was everything I wanted it to be, and now I'm be
Lauren James
Mar 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Asexual half-Indian protagonist, training montages fit to bursting and SPACE. What more could you want?
Julie
Nov 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I've been lucky to read a couple truly great books about girls in STEM lately! DARE MIGHTY THINGS is one of them and it kept me up all night. The characters are extremely well-written and well-rounded, especially Cassie Gupta, our brainy, competitive, asexual protagonist. Another favorite of mine was one of the competitors, Emilio, who kept me laughing all the way through even during intense scenes. The book has some hardcore science but I never ever felt lost - the author does such a great job ...more
ellie
”I’m so curious about the universe-we know so little and I want to learn it all, see it all-there are so many wonders out there that humans have never dreamed possible. I want to help us get there. I want to discover. I want to know. Don’t you?”

so this book is about a smart asexual desi girl competing with other super intelligent teens to go into space. DID I MENTION THERES SPACE? by the way there’s also SPACE !!! This review is going to be a mess I’m sorry I’m not feeling very organized rn and
Thank you very much to HarperCollins for providing a copy of the novel in exchange for an honest review.

Dare Mighty Things is an extraordinary debut that features an Indian-American asexual protagonist in the fight of her life for the slim opportunity to go to space. Heather Kaczynski’s novel is a thrilling tale of ambition, power and deadly secrets that will change the course of human history.

Dare Mighty Things was chock full of suspense and my eyes were glued to the page, frantically reading,
Danielle (Life of a Literary Nerd)
“The universe seemed open and waiting for me, and I was ready to meet it."

I’ve really gotten more into sci-fi this year, and I was very excited to read Dare Mighty Things! And while it didn’t blow me away like some other reads have, it did not disappoint me either. We follow Cassie Gupta as she competes for a chance to fulfill her life’s dream and go on what may be her only chance at an actual space mission. But as Cassie and the competitors vie for the single spot on the mission, they face
Shannon (It Starts At Midnight)

4.5*

This was so close to being a 5-star from me, and frankly, I could have used one. But alas. It was still incredibly strong and I am giddy excited for the sequel, so that's good news.

Most of the book is about the competition that Cassie must compete in in order to go to space. Yes, I suppose this had the potential to be... not exciting? But no no, it was exciting! So much so! The autho
Rachel Marie
Okay. Um, wow. That's kind of where I'm at upon completing this novel. I knew I was going to love it (I mean, space!!) but I don't think I was quite prepared for HOW much I ended up loving it.

Okay, first Cassandra is (half) Indian-American, which pushed this to the top of my TBR when I realized it (if you didn't know, I am also Indian-American). Second, she comes out as asexual, which DO YOU KNOW HOW HAPPY THAT MADE ME I honestly almost cried. Cassandra herself is a very hard-working, motivated
Katelyn Larson
Oct 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Do you like space? Do you like brilliant, driven teens? Do you like twists and complex choices and hard-won friendships?

Because if you do, you need to read DARE MIGHTY THINGS the moment you can get your hands on it. This book had me up late into the night, hastily flipping pages, wondering where the twists would take me, guessing at the decisions Cassie had to make. I loved every moment of it.

And this cast of teens, my goodness, they are wonderful. Every single one is multi-faceted and intelli
Madison
Jul 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
From the very beginning this book was completely exciting. I had a huge grin of anticipation that I couldn't wipe off my face - but maybe that was more to do with Cassandra's smarts and humour. It's so much fun hanging with someone who is clever, knows she is clever, and isn't afraid to correct her internship boss's math in front all his coworkers - go girl.

Cassandra knows she was born for something great - it's expected of a child who was one of the first genetically engineered babies. When sh
Tova
This was absolutely fantastic considering
a) I do not generally read (or like) science fiction
b) I am in a slump where I can only read contemporary fiction
c) This has some really triggering personally scenes
d) my anxiety, depression and chronic pain have been on high gear due to school and all the stress around that
But honestly, this will be on my favourite books of the year list, and I am eagerly awaiting the sequel, One Giant Leap. Call me impressed and shooketh.

RTC
Laura (bbliophile)
Oct 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
I definitely flew through this audiobook, and I really liked it! RTC.
BriaKnits & Reads
I picked this book up because it was highly recommended from a fellow bookworm and I am super happy that I did.

Awesome plot. Amazing characters, especially the main character, Cassandra Gupta. She became one of my favorite fictional heroines..EVER!

Fans of stories similar to the Hunger Games and Divergent will love this read. Competing individuals; everyone man/woman for themselves. This is such an adventurous read that will keep you on your toes and wanting more.
I highly recommend this book.
Zemira (Kylo Ren fangirl) Warner
I'm here for asexual heroines!

Sadly, I wasn't wowed with the book for several reasons. This book was written to appeal the younger audience, so if you're 13, I think you might enjoy this very much. Heroine's voice was too childish for me, despite her being very mature for her age. The other reason was simple. A lot of time was spent on planning for space travelling and there was so little actual space.
Lia
Jun 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
RTC
Sep 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: edelweiss
3.5/5 stars

Initial thoughts:
This book is the first book of a new YA Science Fiction series (there are supposed to be two books).

I found this book very interesting. I had no idea what to expect. But I loved that Cassie was Indian-American. And I loved that she was in a competition to be part of a classified space program.

Even though most of the book is the competition I really enjoyed the people she was competing against.

Where the book let me down was the ending. The book took an unexpected turn
Tez
Jan 21, 2017 marked it as wishlist  ·  review of another edition
21st January 2017: Reason for adding to wishlist: "to win the last astronaut slot for an experimental mission into space." Astronaut! Space! Yay! :-)
Kristi Housman Confessions of a YA Reader
I really loved this book!

Cassie is 17 at the beginning of the book, getting read to turn 18.  She is a genetically engineered baby.  They were called "designer babies".   The book takes place on Earth in the future and infertility has become a real problem.  Parents were allowed to use genetic engineering to create a more perfect child.  They can't pick the appearance, but were able to pick strengths like intelligence, musicality, athleticism, etc.

Cassie is working hard to try to go to spac
Maddison
All I can think of to say about this book is 'what the **** was that ending.' Like honestly? How unnecessary was that! Everything that came before it, the events and interactions, were amazing. I loved the way the book was written, the way it was focused so much around friendship rather than the romance. How every character develops. I'm so pleased that Cass (view spoiler) But seriously? Luka's (vie ...more
  • Empress of a Thousand Skies (Empress of a Thousand Skies, #1)
  • When Dimple Met Rishi
  • Kat and Meg Conquer the World
  • It's Not Like It's a Secret
  • My So-Called Bollywood Life
  • Royal Bastards (Royal Bastards, #1)
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
  • 27 Hours (The Nightside Saga, #1)
  • Even the Darkest Stars (Even the Darkest Stars #1)
  • Dear Martin
  • It Started With Goodbye
  • You're Welcome, Universe
  • Shimmer and Burn (Shimmer and Burn, #1)
  • #famous
  • Just Friends
  • Wicked Like a Wildfire (Hibiscus Daughter, #1)
  • Shadow Run (Kaitan Chronicles, #1)
  • The Queen's Rising (The Queen’s Rising, #1)
Heather grew up in the shadow of the Saturn V rocket in Huntsville, Alabama. After spending four years buried in lab reports and memorizing all 206 bones in the human body, she gratefully returned to her first love of books and now works in a library near Marshall Space Flight Center - where she quietly fangirls anytime an astronaut walks in to read the newspaper. She lives with her amateur astron ...more

Dare Mighty Things (2 books)
  • One Giant Leap (Dare Mighty Things, #2)