Start by marking “Dare Mighty Things” as Want to Read:
Dare Mighty Things

Dare Mighty Things (Untitled Duology #1)

THE RULES ARE SIMPLE: You must be gifted. You must be younger than twenty-five. You must be willing to accept the dangers that you will face if you win.

Seventeen-year-old Cassandra Gupta’s entire life has been leading up to this—the opportunity to travel to space. But to secure a spot on this classified mission, she must first compete against the best and brightest people
Expected publication: October 10th 2017 by HarperTeen

To ask other readers questions about Dare Mighty Things, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dare Mighty Things

Caraval by Stephanie GarberWintersong by S. Jae-JonesGilded Cage by Vic JamesBlood Rose Rebellion by Rosalyn EvesThe Hate U Give by Angie Thomas
YA Debuts 2017
152 books — 1,273 voters
A Court of Wings and Ruin by Sarah J. MaasLord of Shadows by Cassandra ClareKing's Cage by Victoria AveyardCarve the Mark by Veronica RothFlame in the Mist by Renee Ahdieh
YA Novels of 2017
974 books — 5,787 voters

More lists with this book...

Korrina  (OwlCrate)
Feb 13, 2017 Korrina (OwlCrate) rated it really liked it
Very interesting concept and plot. It got a little bit strange for me towards the end, but I won't say anything more than that. One thing I absolutely loved were the characters she befriends throughout the competition. They're all so fleshed out. And so much diversity! Our main character is asexual, and I've never read from the point of view of someone who identifies that way. Even if you don't like sci-fi I think you'll enjoy this story!
Lala BooksandLala
I need this book. I need it now. I need the cover to be to die for.
Emmy Neal
Mar 16, 2016 Emmy Neal rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fans of Cinder and The Selection
Full disclosure, Heather is my critique partner--this review will become less vague when the book goes to print! I've read DARE MIGHTY THINGS through many drafts, and fallen in love with all of these characters. (Even the ones I hate, I love. It's crippling.) She has a great voice, strong character arcs, and awesome suspense--but my favorite part about Cassie's story is how hard she works for what she wants.

Cassie is an Indian-American intern at NASA when her boss recommends her to a classified
Heather
Mar 16, 2016 Heather added it  ·  (Review from the author)
This is my book! It was tons of fun to write, and I can't wait for you guys to read it.
Cookie
Mar 16, 2016 Cookie marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2017-publication
I saw "meets the Selection" and was like, oh god no not again, but then "instead of competing for a prince/kingdom, a brilliant Indian-American girl competes to win the last astronaut slot for an experimental mission into space" and all was right in the world again.
Anna Priemaza
Mar 16, 2016 Anna Priemaza rated it it was amazing
WHEN THIS BOOK COMES OUT YOU ALL NEED TO BUY IT IMMEDIATELY AND THEN READ READ READ UNTIL YOU ARE DONE BECAUSE AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

I AM SO EXCITED ABOUT THIS BOOK I COULD WRITE THIS WHOLE REVIEW IN ALL CAPS. I won't. BUT I WANT TO!!!

I have been so desperate to read this book, and it did not disappoint! Astronauts! Space! Brilliant, ambitious teen girls! Competition! Diversity! Top secret missions! Friendship! Sabotage! Space! Astronauts! Space!

It was everything I wanted it to be, and now I'm be
Lauren James
Mar 25, 2017 Lauren James rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lgbt-ya
Asexual half-Indian protagonist, training montages fit to bursting and SPACE. What more could you want?
Katelyn Larson
Oct 19, 2016 Katelyn Larson rated it it was amazing
Do you like space? Do you like brilliant, driven teens? Do you like twists and complex choices and hard-won friendships?

Because if you do, you need to read DARE MIGHTY THINGS the moment you can get your hands on it. This book had me up late into the night, hastily flipping pages, wondering where the twists would take me, guessing at the decisions Cassie had to make. I loved every moment of it.

And this cast of teens, my goodness, they are wonderful. Every single one is multi-faceted and intelli
Zemira (Kylo Ren fangirl) Warner
I'm here for asexual heroines!

Sadly, I wasn't wowed with the book for several reasons. This book was written to appeal the younger audience, so if you're 13, I think you might enjoy this very much. Heroine's voice was too childish for me, despite her being very mature for her age. The other reason was simple. A lot of time was spent on planning for space travelling and there was so little actual space.
Tez
Jan 21, 2017 Tez marked it as wishlist
21st January 2017: Reason for adding to wishlist: "to win the last astronaut slot for an experimental mission into space." Astronaut! Space! Yay! :-)
Katie Slivensky
May 24, 2017 Katie Slivensky rated it it was amazing
Astronaut training! Peer competition! Cliffhangers! This book was SO much fun to read! I finished it in one sitting, because I got so sucked in. I just absolutely HAD to know what was going on with the mysterious mission the main character was training to join. And the ending did NOT disappoint!

Ambitious and still in the midst of discovering herself, Cass is a refreshingly smart YA protagonist who reads like a real teen (and importantly, is someone I want to cheer on well past the end of the st
Amanda Searcy
May 01, 2017 Amanda Searcy rated it it was amazing
But what happens next?!! This was such a fun book. It was completely engrossing--I read most of it in one sitting. The diverse cast feels very real and well developed. The ending caught me genuinely by surprise. I can't wait to continue the adventure in book 2!
Scott Reintgen
Jun 06, 2017 Scott Reintgen rated it it was amazing
Where to begin?! I think I have to start with the SCIENCE. That aspect of the world building in this book really stood out to me as a writer and reader of science fiction. First, there's the solid, believable, and thorough foundation that Kaczynski creates... but it's also to her credit that she invites us into the beyond. There are mysteries, at the edges of what we know as humans, that Dare Mighty Things welcomes us to explore.

The characters, too, are worth hanging a hat on. This book shows of
Arkinsbow
So a white lady is writing from the pov of an Indian-American. Why?

Heather Kaczynski is the cat:

description

If you cannot read the font size in the above comic strip:

TOAD: "There are so many stories about cats and so few tales of toads. I would love to share more toad stories with the world."

CAT: "My god...you are right."

CAT: "There should be more stories about your kind."

CAT: "I...will tell these stories about your kind..."
Ashley
Jun 01, 2017 Ashley rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, e-arc
Dare Mighty Things is kind of a tricky book to review. On the one hand it was a really interesting story:

- A classified space mission.
- Young adults in training/competition for said mission.
- Diverse characters that really stood out from each other. This was one of the big highlights of the book.

On the other hand, it wasn’t a perfect book. For starters, there was A LOT of the training/testing part—perhaps a tad too much. It’s pretty much the whole book. The whole story is building up to
Richa
Jun 13, 2017 Richa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc, edelweiss, for-review
God  O'Wax
Jun 19, 2017 God O'Wax rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, ya, arc
I was all in for this until the last couple chapters. 4+ stars up until then.
Ilena
Jun 14, 2017 Ilena rated it it was amazing
Review to come soon but what a thrilling debut!
Twinkle Toes
Twinkle Toes rated it it was amazing
Apr 06, 2017
S.F. Henson
Apr 07, 2017 S.F. Henson rated it it was amazing
There aren't enough stars for this book. I adored everything about it. The main character is genetically engineered, but flawed, driven to a fault, competitive, smart, determined, but willing to learn and grow, and she's interested in science and math. What's not to love? The characters are diverse, well-thought out, and real. The plot is completely unique, but feels familiar, with a twist that I didn't see coming. There are a lot of competition type stories out there, but none line this. I can' ...more
Kayla Marie
Kayla Marie rated it it was amazing
Mar 16, 2016
Kati Bartkowski
Kati Bartkowski rated it it was amazing
Apr 12, 2017
Celeste_pewter
Celeste_pewter rated it it was amazing
May 07, 2017
Sarah Goewey
Sarah Goewey rated it really liked it
Mar 14, 2017
Deedee✌
Deedee✌ rated it really liked it
Feb 23, 2017
Josselin
Josselin rated it it was amazing
May 17, 2017
Natasha
Natasha rated it it was amazing
Jun 21, 2017
 Debra (WifeEclectic)
Debra (WifeEclectic) rated it really liked it
Jun 20, 2017
Corabel Shofner
Corabel Shofner rated it it was amazing
Nov 05, 2016
Alexa
Alexa rated it it was amazing
Mar 16, 2016
  • Empress of a Thousand Skies (Empress of a Thousand Skies, #1)
  • When Dimple Met Rishi
  • Kat and Meg Conquer the World
  • It's Not Like It's a Secret
  • The Perfect Ending
  • Royal Bastards
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
  • 27 Hours (The Nightside Saga, #1)
  • Even the Darkest Stars (Even the Darkest Stars #1)
  • Dear Martin
  • It Started With Goodbye
  • You're Welcome, Universe
  • Shimmer and Burn
  • #famous
  • Just Friends
  • Wicked Like a Wildfire (Hibiscus Daughter, #1)
  • Shadow Run (Kaitan Chronicles, #1)
  • The Queen's Rising
Heather grew up in the shadow of the Saturn V rocket in Huntsville, Alabama. After spending four years buried in lab reports and memorizing all 206 bones in the human body, she gratefully returned to her first love of books and now works in a library near Marshall Space Flight Center - where she quietly fangirls anytime an astronaut walks in to read the newspaper. She lives with her amateur astron ...more
More about Heather Kaczynski...