Start by marking “Slaves of the Mastery (Wind on Fire, #2)” as Want to Read:
Slaves of the Mastery (Wind on Fire, #2)

Slaves of the Mastery

(The Wind on Fire Trilogy #2)

Five years have passed. The city of Aramanth has become kinder--weaker.

When the ruthless soldiers of the Mastery strike, the city is burned, and the Manth people are taken into slavery. Kestrel Hath is left behind, separated from her beloved brother Bowman, and vowing revenge.

Now Kestrel must find Bowman again, and Bowman must learn the secrets of the Singer people. Only t
Published April 22nd 2001 by Egmont Books Limited (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Slaves of the Mastery, please sign up.
Nurni (Leave What's Heavy Behind) The main characters are the Hath family (Kestrel, Bowman, Pinto, Hanno and Ira) and to some extent the princess Sisi, who is introduced in this book f…moreThe main characters are the Hath family (Kestrel, Bowman, Pinto, Hanno and Ira) and to some extent the princess Sisi, who is introduced in this book for the first time.(less)
Ash Butler No, Nicholson doesn't want his books turning into movies …moreNo, Nicholson doesn't want his books turning into movies (less)

Start your review of Slaves of the Mastery (Wind on Fire, #2)
Annie
I really, really enjoyed the second book of this series. Once again Nicholson gives us a somewhat vague criticism of government (the second book must be communism, but the first? I'm not really sure, it was definitely a punishment/rewards system though) as the backdrop for the story, but I wasn't terribly interested in the precise nature of his philosophical leanings. No, once again I found myself completely in love with the characters, Kestrel in particular.

"...And yet, glorious as it was, beau
Katie Lumsden
Dec 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this, and more than the first in the series. It's an engaging, enjoyable and thought-provoking read. ...more
nel
Jan 05, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I would urgently recommend the Wind on Fire trilogy, and especially Slaves of the Mastery, to any middle-grade students who love fantasy. Because they too will be adults one day, and it's rare to find fantasy that is so unapologetically romantic and non-judgemental. I would as easily recommend this book to any adults who are into fantasy and still have a beating heart.

The Wind Singer, entry #1 in the Wind on Fire trilogy, was a romantic, unique adventure, held back mostly by its simple, often co
Patty Zuiderwijk
Aug 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
story 3/5 It does get a little bit repetitive unfortunately.
characters 4/5
writing 3,5/5
audio/paper Paper.
reread? I think I will.

Sophie
Aug 14, 2012 rated it liked it
First off, What I didn't like...

I absolutely hated like the implication that in order to be beautiful you must also be waif thin.
I liked Sisi's character to a certain degree, but the message she promoted within the book was wrong, there is no other way of describing it.
In your quest for that emaciated figure you so desire you must not eat anything for days on end.
You must not drink anything more calorific than water.
After you have married that all changes, you no longer need to be attractive
Magdelanye
With all the fuss over The Hunger Games,I was never drawn into actually reading it.
Though I blundered into this middle volume in the Wind On Fire trilogy,(there is nothing on the cover to indicate this status)it seems to me that it presents a very similar but more coherent alternate reality as a setting for its young protagonists to acheive moral awareness.The ritual of manaxa,with its combination of lethal grace,wrestling and dancing,provides a far more compelling contest than the aimless bruta
Mandy
Sep 09, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This is officially one of the best books I have ever read and it is certainly in my Top Five Young Adult Books list. This book has it all – action, adventure, imagination, likeable characters, wonderful worlds and an excellent plot.

The story takes place five years after the events of The Wind Singer and our protagonists are now 15 years old. Aramanth is attacked and the Manth people are taken into slavery by the army of the Mastery.

Kestrel Hath is the only living person left behind and she emba
Marina Coco
Mar 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childhood-jewels
This entire series has stayed with me since I was a child, and this is definitely the best installment. The world building is still intriguing, but both more carefully crafted and more "narrow" than in the previous and following books. The kids are grown up and passions (of very different types) take over, and it's way more compelling than you would've thought. And basically, Kestrel. She's everything. Best young adult female heroine ever, really. Flawed, stubborn, rebellious and vicious at time ...more
Rhonda Johnson
Jul 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 30-or-bust
This is an all nighter. What's going to happen? How will they get out of this mess? Try as I might, I couldn't go to sleep until I found out. ...more
Abigail Hanna
Sep 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
One of those series I read as a kid and then didn't remember because I didn't own them then stumbled across them again. And they're just as funny and engaging and interesting as when I was a kid! ...more
Anne
Aug 09, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Mixed feelings. It is a better book than the first one, both in terms of the writing itself and in the general structure of the story. But one of the things I judge sequels on is how closely related to the first book they are. I don't mean that they shouldn't stand alone (they should) or that they can't be different (they can be), but presumably, the events of the first book should shape the characters and events of the second.

The weird, ridiculous quality of the first book is completely lost in
Heather S
Jun 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Geoff
Apr 20, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Having just recently read the first book in the trilogy, Wind Singer (see my review here), my immediate impressions about the second book are well done!

The author has transitioned from the simpler writing style of Wind Singer to one that is much more befitting the age group I believe the books are targeted at. The more mature circumstances written about are also appropriate given the main characters' aging into young adulthood.

For me, and I believe for many readers, the outcome of this installme
Matthew
Jan 15, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya-fantasy
To go from the wonderful first book, The Wind Singer, to this book was far beyond disappointing. I loved The Wind Singer. I loved the characters, the settings, the adventure,the climax, and the end. When I read this, I was excited to know where their adventures would take them next, and I was revolted. It was as though the author discovered the latest trend in young adult series between writing book one and two and decided that his series needed an about face to try and catch up with the dystopi ...more
Abi Robins
Jan 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
It happened, I'm so surprised in the absolute best way! The first book in this series, The Wind Singer, was a bit of a disapointment to me, I didn't really enjoy it, I found it very childish, and it was a slog to get through. But this book? Slaves of the Mastery? I sped through it! Adoring it every second of the way and whilst it was childish it was in a more mature way which I enjoyed. I don't know if this is just because I have changed as a reader in the times between these readings, as I've n ...more
Chae
Mar 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
"Slaves of the Mastery," the second novel in the Wind on Fire series was absolutely amazing. The story follows many characters including Kestrel, Bowman, the Hath Family, Mumpo, and other new characters. It was interesting to see characters grow and develop, especially Bowman, who matured greatly in this novel. William Nicholson also added interesting, yet crucial characters to this sequel: The Gang, a "clan" who, in this novel, travelled to the Mastery to wed the flawless Johdila.

This was such
Eloise
Nov 08, 2014 rated it liked it
I am continuing my re-read of this series as an adult. This book also delivered and was a pleasant read, although I had a few little niggles with characterisation and the portrayal of love, marriage and gender roles. That said, Nicholson definitely made efforts to have his characters evolve and grow, and challenge these problematic ideas of marriage and obligations, and that somewhat made up for it.
The plot was again quite simple and predictable, but still well-paced and entertaining enough to k
Julie
Aug 02, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read these through 2007 and finished the third book in March 2008. These books are one of the few series of YA fantasy I can think of that are UNIQUE. I'd never read anything like them. Nicholson creates a really intriguing world, and keeps adding interesting new elements in each book. He also has great skill at choosing character names!

I ended up using the Manth wedding vows from this book as one of the readings at our wedding. They bring tears to my eyes pretty much every time I read them.
Lance
Jun 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
As exciting and insightful as I remembered from first reading it. Then depiction of the Singer people was breathtaking and imaginative, just the kind of fantasy a child would love, and the fortitude and loyalty of Kestral and Bowman is just as humbling for an adult reader.
Emily
Apr 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
sisi!!!!! (also maybe more like a 3.5/5? the next book will probably solidify my feelings about the whole experience a bit better, i hope)
Baby Adam
May 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very charming, exciting, and tense. The book builds up more suspense for the final book in the series!
Ida Marie Heggem
Feb 02, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
based on the same society as the first, all you need now is three words: love, war and problems.
Suz
Jun 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Faiza Bhutto
Sep 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The novel " Slaves of the Mastery" by the author" William Nicholson" is a brilliant art work of supernaturalism powers, sophisticated, tightly drawn and gripping. Full of adventures, romanticism, care, glorious story, cinematic graphically explained and completely enthralling.
A worthy sequel, rich in characters. This read is a journey that will leave you breathless, a page turning read too. This will undoubtedly be devoured by those who read it.
The writer William Nicholson was for many years a
Johanna Burton
It's been five years since Bowman, Kestrel and Mumpo saved the city of Aramanth but now they are under attack. When the army of the Mastery invades and takes the Manth people as slaves, only Kestrel is left free. Seeking revenge, Kestrel embarks on another journey to follow the trail left by her brothers' presence. In the land of the Mastery, Bowman, who has a newly discovered his destiny must become the one to save his people. And all the while the wind is rising...

I had mixed feelings about th
Kastle
Feb 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I didn’t want this book to end. I deliberately took my time reading this book so that I wouldn’t reach the end so quickly.

Slaves of the Mastery has a lot of depth to it, as did the book before. Nicholson does a really good job of having different cultures with different beliefs and ways of life in his stories that they become enjoyable to read as our protagonists have to find ways around each culture they are faced with in order to achieve their end goals.

5 years after the event of the Wind Sing
Megan
Sep 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Tweens or above, or anyone who loves fantasy/good vs. evil
Recommended to Megan by: Goodreads
Today begins my walk with you.
Where you go, I go.
Where you stay, I stay.
When you sleep, I will sleep.
When you rise, I will rise.
I will pass my days within the sound of your voice,
And my nights within the reach of your hand.
And none shall come between us.

I have no words for this book which would do it justice. Nothing in me to capture the wild beauty of Wind on Fire , the stunning characters, the story that flows almost of its own accord directly into your heart. I am reminded of Iro
Emelia
Jul 31, 2019 rated it liked it
This book suffered throughout with an identify crisis. The previous charm of the first book, absurd and childish in a perfect mix, came clashing against the intention of delivering a more mature narrative and older characters. Unfortunately, it made the entire book discordant.

Often the language was childish, whilst people were being burned alive (children’s fantasy genre?) or genocide or other violences were occurring. Despite the more serious setting and story, every character remained childis
Debra
Oct 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
Often with a trilogy, it's the middle book that disappoints, not with this series, this is an excellent second book. The story has moved on five years from the end of the first book. The people of Aramanth are free and unprotected. They capitulate when the Mastery attack and they have been marched away from their destroyed city to their new home where they discover everyone is a slave. Despite acts of extreme cruelty, they are allowed to work in the places where their skill can be used to make a ...more
Helen
Mar 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
This is a review of the Audible version of Slaves of the Mastery.

The gave the first book 'Wind Singer' 4 stars because while I really enjoyed it, I could tell that the book was a bit childish and written for a younger audience. However Slaves of the Mastery is easily a 5 star book.

Slaves of the Mastery continues the story of the Hath family, following their journey from a free city to being captures as slaves of the Master. All the children are 15 now, much more mature and it reflects in their s
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
What's the Name o...: SOLVED. Fantasy book in which people in cage are burned alive [s] 5 151 Jan 25, 2013 03:00PM
the twins 1 25 Feb 11, 2010 06:26AM

• Wolf Brother (Chronicles of Ancient Darkness, #1)
  • Soul Eater (Chronicles of Ancient Darkness, #3)
  • Oath Breaker (Chronicles of Ancient Darkness, #5)
  • Spirit Walker (Chronicles of Ancient Darkness #2)
  • City of Masks (Stravaganza, #1)
  • Outcast (Chronicles of Ancient Darkness, #4)
  • Ghost Hunter (Chronicles of Ancient Darkness, #6)
  • Lirael (Abhorsen, #2)
  • The Edge Chronicles 8: Vox: Second Book of Rook
  • Triss (Redwall, #15)
  • Wit'ch Fire (The Banned and the Banished, #1)
  • Silverwing (Silverwing, #1)
  • All Russians Love Birch Trees
  • The Animals of Farthing Wood
  • Briefe in die chinesische Vergangenheit
  • Die Wilden Hühner auf Klassenfahrt (Die Wilden Hühner, #2)
  • Die Wilden Hühner (Die Wilden Hühner, #1)
  • Die Wilden Hühner und das Glück der Erde (Die Wilden Hühner, #4)

William Nicholson was born in 1948, and grew up in Sussex and Gloucestershire. His plays for television include Shadowlands and Life Story , both of which won the BAFTA Best Television Drama award in their year; other award-winners were Sweet As You Are and The March . In 1

The Wind on Fire Trilogy (3 books)
  • The Wind Singer (Wind on Fire, #1)
  • Firesong (Wind On Fire, #3)

News & Interviews

“She slapped Kestrel’s face. Without thinking twice, Kestrel slapped her back, as hard as she could. The young woman burst into tears. The servant saw this, aghast.
“Baby!” She exclaimed. “Oh, my poor baby!”
“You’ve been kind to me,” said Kestrel, “and you’re very beautiful, but if you hit me again I’ll kill you.”
7 likes