Start by marking “Fidelity” as Want to Read:
Fidelity

Fidelity

(Kay Malloy #1)

3.64  ·  Rating details ·  96 Ratings  ·  31 Reviews
In the gripping debut novel from Jan Fedarcyk, “the FBI’s First Lady” (Vanity Fair), a brilliant young FBI agent named Kay Malloy joins the counterintelligence unit in New York City with devastating consequences—both personal and professional.

Kay Malloy always knew hers would be a life of service. Following the tragic death of her humanitarian parents, Kay and her brother,
Published November 21st 2017 by Simon Schuster

To ask other readers questions about Fidelity, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fidelity

Leslynn
Copy courtesy of the publisher

I was excited to read this book as the description made the novel sound interesting, high-paced and action-packed. Sadly, while the writing style is easy to read, the story is dragged out and by 40% I was about ready to give up. It then picked up, but the story line is predictable (or maybe I've just read one too many spy/thriller books) and the characters are flat. It feels like the author could have cut a lot of unnecessary repetition (come on, we know her parents
Susan Riley
Sep 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Agent Kay Malloy has made a name for herself in the Violent Crime Program in Baltimore. After her assignment in Counterintelligence, she finds herself back in her old hometown of New York City. Kay and her brother Christopher were raised by their aunt and uncle after their parents were killed abroad, seemingly in a robbery gone wrong. After Kay is assigned to investigate a possible mole, resulting in the deaths and disappearances of Russian double agents, she is determined to prove herself. But ...more
Book Him Danno
Nov 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A superb Counter Intelligence (CI) novel that is factual in both events and story time line. This type of work evolves slowly and can come to a head rapidly. Some times you win and sometimes you lose or it could be a tied game. The main character, Kay Malloy, is a gutsy hard working Agent who knows what she wants and goes forward in a positive manner with the end game plan always in the forefront of her actions.
I thoroughly enjoyed this novel from a professional viewpoint. The author's story tel
Joyce
Oct 13, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fidelity has a great plot and protagonist and is one of the most intelligently written novels I've read in a very long time. Thanks to Net Galley and Simon & Schuster for an ARC for an honest review.
Breakaway Reviewers
Frolics with the FBI!

I read that the author of this book was chief of the FBI in New York at one time. So, I guess I had better give this book of hers a glowing review in case I end up on the FBI’s most wanted list!!

But, no, I intend to tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth.

This is a debut novel featuring Special Agent Kate Malloy, a great name that slips off the tongue easily (like Special Agent Mulder and Special Agent Scully!). Whether she will be ‘up there’ with the likes
Tim Dees
Mar 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fidelity is as accurate a portrayal of the life of a female FBI agent as the bureau will allow anyone to write. Jan Fedarcyk spent 25 years working for the FBI, rising higher in the organization than any woman in history. When she retired, she was the assistant director in charge of the New York Field Office, the largest in the FBI.

The story of Special Agent Kay Malloy beings with the pursuit of a Baltimore drug dealer, with Malloy screwing up through an attempted act of kindness. She redeems h
Kathleen Gray
I have very mixed feelings about this novel, which felt to me as though it was written by two people- one who supplied the procedural details and definitions and one who filled in the plot and characters. There are two stories as well, which is more than it needed. I wish Fedarcyk has either dealt solely with the counterespionage investigation at CIA or with the illegals issue. It's a quick read. What really bothered me, though, were the details that were just incorrect or off. Why perpetuate th ...more
Roberta
Feb 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An informative and excellent read! Especially those interested in FBI/CIA suspense. Hope to see more Kay Malloy novels in the future.

Note to author: With your debut novel, you made the initial transition from writing factual reports, which consisted primarily of events & situations, into the writing of novels. This is not as easy task, as there are more than subtle nuances associated with same. I once found myself in a similar situation, but was not as successful as you may be. It was not un
Donna Wetzel
Nov 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
Thanks Goodreads for my copy of Fidelity by Jan Fedarcyk. I enjoyed this book very much . One of the reasons was that as I was reading this, it quickly became obvious that the author had worked for the FBI as the scenes were so believable and detailed. Later, I read the book jacket and confirmed she had retired from the FBI. This gave the book such a feel of authenticity, even the dialogue between the characters rang true. I finished this book in 2 days. It's a fast and enjoyable read.
Anne, Unfinished Woman
Complex, enlightening. While this story tends toward the slow, it has a twist of an ending and presents what appears to be a realistic picture of today's CIA doings in espionage...particularly Russian. It seems timely in light of the recent revelations about Russian hacking. The descriptions of spying were tedious at times, though the characters were compelling. I found myself sliding over some of the longer passages but overall enjoyed this book.
Val
Jul 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I seldom read this genre but found this book more accessible than most, perhaps because the protagonist was an honorable woman and there was not any graphic violence. I also enjoyed that the story seemed realistic. I hope there will be a sequel forthcoming.
Patty Barnhardt
I debated whether to give this three stars or not. Readable but not riveting. New FBI agent Kay Malloy moves from criminal work to counter intelligence to uncover an American traitor, discovering secrets in her own past as well.
Russell Howen
Apr 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
"Fidelity", a Kay Malloy novel by Jan Fedarcyk, provides the reader with both action and suspense. From FBI action in Baltimore to counter-intelligence work in New York City, the author leads us on a trip two wars - the drug war and the cold war.
John
Feb 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed it. Looking forward to #2.
Donna Davis
Retired FBI agent Jan Fedarcyk makes her debut with this intense spy novel, and it is bound to keep the reader guessing and turning pages deep into the night. Thanks go to Simon and Schuster and Net Galley for the DRC, which I received for review purposes. I rate this story with 3.5 stars and round it upward.

The selling point for the new reader of what is destined to become the Kay Malloy series, is that the author has spent 25 years in the FBI and knows what she’s talking about. Though she remi
Ben Ring
A solid detective/cop fiction. Not over the top, but definitely a good, quick read.
Brenda
Sep 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Only a former FBI agent could have written this high tension, easy to follow, case building trail of a novel that rings true.

Kay Malloy’s FBI career begins with her joining partner Torres in Baltimore’s Guns & Gangs unit. When Kay’s shoot-out with drug lord James Rashad Williams get her a promotion to counter intelligence unit in NYC under the famous Susan aka Frowny Jeffries, she is has mixed feelings about returning to family there.

Luis & Justyna became parents to Kay, 10, and Christop
Michelle
Feb 11, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
didn't finish too slow.
Steve
Sep 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Fidelity by Jan Fedarcyk is a great, informative, entertaining and compelling read. The writer was the first Assistant Special Agent in Charge of the Manhattan F.B.I. office. Ms. Fedarcyk definitely knows her stuff. Fidelity is what the bureau stands for and our hero, Kay Malloy struggles to live up to her oath, country, family and to the F.B.I.
Agent Malloy works in the cloudy world of counter-intelligence. Her job is to recruit Russian spies and turn them into reliable double agents. But she ha
Diane Saul
Sep 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After a high profile success Kay Mallory earns a promotion to the counter intelligence division of the FBI in New York. There is a double agent in the CIA and the CIA has gone outside the agency for help to find the agent because they don't know who to trust. Three agents have already died and they need to figure out who the mole is before more agents are killed.

The author is a former FBI agent so she knows the way the agency works. Besides being a spy thriller this is a story of family loyalty
Karen
Nov 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've read so many novels in which the author shows off with eloquent, elegant sentences, but can't tell a good story. This book was the opposite -- the writing from a "micro" perspective was average, and sometimes dull. The character development was uneven -- some characters, like Kay, were well-developed, but others, like Andrew, were simply clichés.

However, what I really liked about this book was that the story evolved in an organic way, and the plot successfully wove together the complicated
Lesley
Oct 20, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc
I found this book to be really, really slow. A common theme throughout the book is that FBI work is tedious. Well, I felt like this book is too. It takes forever to understand how the prologue relates to the story. I see the potential for a great plot line, but it gets lost in all the minutiae. I was a little surprised to see that part of this story will be carrying on through the series. Sort of a cliffhanger, but one you can easily live with.

Thanks to the publisher for an ARC via Netgalley.
Judy
Sep 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: authors-to-watch
Tense, gripping, and fast-paced, Fidelity is one great read. I love the strong women characters portrayed in this book. Jan Fedarcyk joins the club of top notch spy/thriller authors! Fidelity stayed in my thoughts when I put it down to get on with real life. I found myself itching to getting back to reading to find out what would happen next.

I received an ARC from the publisher through NetGalley.
Carl Rochelle
Sep 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent read. When it starts out you think it is a typical Woman FBI Agent does well in one post, is promoted to New York into a Counter-spying position, has brother with drink and drug problems who the bad guys will use against his sister to force her into becoming a double agent..Looks like its going to ho hum, not the way it turns out . There are surprises along the way, a little romance and a darn good ending. Hope that whets your appetite. its worth reading..
Ann
Oct 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fidelity is a work of fiction about the FBI. The author, Jan Fedarcyk retired after 25 years working for the FBI, so I have to assume the nuts and bolt of Fidelity are based on correct procedures. Interesting first novel. I'm hoping this is the start of a series about Kay Malloy. I was given an early copy to review.
David V.
Received as an ARC from the publisher. Provides insights into the workings of FBI investigations and the main character Agent Kay Malloy is a compelling person. On the down side the ending was rather abrupt and didn't adequately show how all the loose ends were tied together. As a debut book, it's not bad, but hopefully a second will be better----and Kay deserves another book.
Katlyn Ulinski
Aug 16, 2016 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: won
I recently won this book in a giveaway! I will update my review as soon as I receive this book!
Michael
Excellent Debut looking forward to #2
Richard
Nov 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good debut!

Enjoyable and a nice read.

I urge Ms.Fedarcyk
to add another book to
what might become a long series. keep them coming.

Sharon
Pretty decent suspense/crime novel with a twist I never saw coming. I think the female lead is going to be the main lead in a series of novels.

this was a goodreads giveaway.
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Manitou Canyon (Cork O'Connor, #15)
  • You'll Miss Me When I'm Gone
  • A Dangerous Age
  • Nothing Short of Dying (Clyde Barr, #1)
  • Damaged
  • Mortal Fall (Glacier Mystery #2)
  • Home (Myron Bolitar, #11)
  • The Dollhouse
  • The Whisperer (Nightmare Hall, #12)
  • Silent Source
  • Cuba: One Moment in Time: Exploring Political Defrost and Daily Reality in Havana
  • This Way Home
  • Donald Trump Paper Doll Collectible Campaign Edition
  • The Bone Hunters (Lexy Vaughan & Steven Macaulay #2)
  • The Orion Plan
  • Every Three Hours (Darby McCormick, #6)
  • Came From the Cold (Polar, #1)
  • Playing Stacy