Start by marking “Yule: A Celebration of Light and Warmth” as Want to Read:
Yule: A Celebration of Light and Warmth

Yule: A Celebration of Light and Warmth

(Holiday Series)

There's just something magical about the Yuletide season, no matter where you live or who you are. As bright candlelight mingles with the smells of pine and warm cookies and we perform our yearly rituals of song and family gatherings, the spirit of peace and goodwill seems to reach the heart of even the most cynical Scrooge.

In the pages of Yule, Dorothy Morrison presents a
Published September 8th 2000 by Llewellyn Publications (first published September 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Yule, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Yule

Start your review of Yule: A Celebration of Light and Warmth
Aria
Apr 03, 2012 rated it did not like it
Unfortunately, this book made me feel less-than-jolly.

It quickly became apparent to me that Ms. Morrison uses the words Yule and Christmas interchangeably, which is absolutely not the same holiday at all. While they may have been originated from the same tradition originally they are not the same holiday now. When reading Yule trivia, I don't expect to read about Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer.

In the very first paragraph, Dorothy takes the reader through a quick lesson in the history of the
Ashley
Nov 19, 2011 rated it it was ok
If my main goals in celebrating Yule were to make crafts & bake, I'd have adored this book. AY-dored. We'd have run off to Hawaii, vacationed together and then made friendship bracelets while drinking fruity drinks with umbrellas.

Except the problem was, I was looking for a book to guide me & serve as a backbone/inspiration for celebrating my first Yule... and this wasn't it.
The only section I really felt I learned anything from was a few pages about cleaning rituals and small

Michael
Unfortunately, I didn't read the reviews until after ordering the book, but at least I was able to verify firsthand the generalizations, misconceptions, and made up information for myself. It's a strange book, and I can't figure out exactly who the target audience is. Maybe it's to help wicca celebrate Christmas if they feel guilty about being too nontraditional. I just found it sad and depressing that a Wiccan High Priestess and founder of a coven would talk so much about Christmas and leave ...more
Wendy S.
Dec 31, 2010 rated it liked it
Not the best, not the worst. I have other books on Yule that I find much better written and informative.
AnandaTashie
Dec 08, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012, non-fic
This book goes over many Yule / Christmas / festival of lights / winter customs and origins. The information may or may not be accurate (:D), but it's interesting to glance at the topic. Much of the book is devoted to crafts - decorations, gifts, etc - which was quite a bit fluff.

I liked the idea of making bird baths from three sizes of upside down terra cotta pots and a saucer on the top, using silicone sealer to connect them.

Also, for my homeschool kids' holiday party, the "apple roll race"
Patricia Gulley
Jun 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
I liked this book for all the explanations of all the things we use to celebrate Winter Equinox holidays, as well as all the other holidays that are celebrated at this time. Yule was very interesting, and how all religions 'borrowed' from each other so as not to overwhelm the 'converted'. It has short descriptions of celebrations by country too. Well worth having as a reference and entertainment for kids, but adults should find it worth their time too.
Amanda Goldben
Dec 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sabbats
Has a great review of the history of the season, some of the particular traditions for different locations. Also include great mini rituals, decor ideas, LOTS of DIY ideas for gifts and decor. Overall VERY pleased with this book and will be utilizing pieces of it into our Yule preparations and traditions. Not to mention my BOS!! Definitely a good buy being newer to the craft and looking to expand my personal library. Oh and Llewellyn has ENTIRE series of these for entire wheel of the year.
Phoenix.
Dec 21, 2012 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this history of the holidays in the beginning of this book and the different days of celebration at the end of the book. While I liked the recipes and crafts in the book, I thought they were not unique enough. I feel like I could find these anywhere online.

All in all, I give it a three star rating.
Patricia
May 03, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: spirituality
Morrison wraps the greenery around the myth, legend, lore, and spells of the winter solstice. Then she hangs her holly on the recipes, decorations, and meanings behind some of the most overlooked aspects of what is now the commercialized season of getting. It will warm your cocoa, stuff your tree with joy, and lift your holiday spirits as the meaning she gives the season takes shape on each page.
Roslyn
Dec 25, 2011 rated it it was ok
Nice book but the research is inaccurate. Overly simplified history of the holidays. Then the rest is about how she has tried to make Yule meaningful for her family. Some okay celebration ideas and lots of silly chants.
Heather Purri
Jan 05, 2019 rated it did not like it
Huge historical inaccuracies. A lot of holiday books have some outdated and disproven information, but Morrison doesn't even have the slightest grasp of history. This book is only useful for lighting your fireplace.
Jacquita
Dec 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
Very informative.
Content presented nicely but with typos.
Juli Anna
Nov 24, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: spirit, holiday
I love that this book is 90% activities and recipes and only about 10% pagan folklore. Some of the recipes and crafts are quite dated and corny, though.
Dwayna Paplow
Jan 21, 2015 rated it liked it
Very artsy-crafty. I would've rather had more history and less projects.
Minnie
Jul 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I thought it was a neat book and discussed many different aspects of the holiday and gave you a lot of options
Dana Wright
Great book to learn more about the holiday of Yule.
Katherine
I'm pretty sure I could have written this myself, based off of research conducted online.
Swankivy
Aug 18, 2008 rated it really liked it
Great book on the lore, recipes, and rituals of this time of year.
Chas
Dec 03, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Full of Inaccuracies at the Beginning

I wanted a simple book to share with my kids so that they could easily explain to their friends what holiday we (Wiccans) celebrate in December. However, I’ve never been able to finish the book because every time I start, I get stuck on some factual inaccuracy. Last year I found the chapters on all the Yule symbols that been appropriated by Christianity and their origins fascinating... until I looked them up. Freya, Odin, and at least one other Norse
Elizabeth
Aug 21, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: pagan-books
Not impressed. I had failed to read the reviews for this book, before ordering it for my library, but I gave it a shot, to form my own opinion of it. Not impressed. Some of the crafts, I could have found on Pinterest, and they didn't really seem all that Pagan/Wiccan to me to begin with. The author seemed to switch Christmas and Yule out quite a bit, which was annoying. I will be honest, I celebrate both holidays, the former more for family togetherness and presents, than the Christian context ...more
D. R.
Dec 08, 2018 rated it liked it
It's a really good and very basic book to begin with. If you've been through a few Yule's or are well-researched, this might need a pass. I enjoy Dorothy Morrison for her writing style, so I picked up a copy. I didn't walk in thinking it would be factual or historically accurate. Morrison isn't known for that kind of writing. She is, however, accessible and fun. It's more recipes and craft ideas than anything and it's geared toward parents of younger children. But it's a light, breezy read that ...more
Lodane
Nov 17, 2018 rated it liked it
The 1-5 Star Review is the total of what I have to say about this book, specifically.

Caveat: This review is historical/archival in nature. 'Date read' is speculative.

This book is one of many books I have read about the occult/paganism/witchcraft. This was the readily available faith in my household as a child. Additionally, I worked for a company in this field, 2015-2016, and had to read an ocean of this stuff to do my job.
Stella
Nov 23, 2019 rated it it was ok
Other reviewers said it better. Combines Yule and Christmas, frequently intermingling the two as if they were one and the same. Tries to be inclusive, but not particularly historically accurate. Recipes and craft ideas are okay, but could find the same or better on Pinterest. Checked it out at the library for a quick read but didn't find it compelling.
Maggi Harris
Dec 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
While the history and lore of Yule has some inaccuracies, this book was published 20 years ago. I enjoyed the recipe and gift-idea sections, though.
Allison
Oct 08, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: anf
I enjoyed some of the history that Dorothy Morrison provided, and the folklore behind the celebration of Yule, but I have to give it a low rating because of I cannot give credence to many of the items she touts as facts.

As a librarian, it is a huge offense to publish a "nonfiction" book with no regard for backing up your resources. When I went to find additional information about several of the items in this book, I found NO other references to them anywhere. Considering I have some idea of how
Julie Decker
Aug 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Yuletide is one of the three Pagan festivals (along with Ostara and Samhain) that correspond with widely celebrated secular and religious holidays. Like Christmas, Yule incorporates the evergreen, the decorated trees, the colors, some of the traditions, and this book puts them into a Pagan context for those who celebrate the Solstice. While I liked the recipes, symbolic decorations, and suggestions, I did feel that the historical factoids were disconnected and sometimes misleading. Don't use it ...more
C.J. Prince
A seasonal reference book celebrating the return of the sun.The holidays: some call them Christmas or Hanukkah, others know them as Las Posadas or Ta Chiu. Still others celebrate Winter Solstice or Yule. Holiday lore, recipes, crafts, rituals and more.
Melankalia
Dec 02, 2011 rated it did not like it
Shelves: spirituality
I was very disappointed by this book. The historical information is vague (and a lot of it weirdly christian oriented) and the crafts are nearly all things I could see fashioned by 1st or 2nd graders.
Cinnimini
Nov 12, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: wiccan, owned
It was not as indepth as some of the other holiday books were, so I was a bit disapointed in that. However, it did have some interesting tidbits and lots of decor ideas.
I read this just about every year to enhance the holiday mood.

• The Witches' Goddess
  • The Real Witches' Kitchen
  • Practical Candleburning Rituals: Spells and Rituals for Every Purpose
  • Grimoire for the Green Witch: A Complete Book of Shadows
  • Cunningham's Encyclopedia of Magical Herbs (Llewellyn's Sourcebook Series)
  • Celtic Myth & Magick: Harnessing the Power of the Gods and Goddesses (Llewellyn's World Religion and Magic Series)
  • The Spiral Dance: A Rebirth of the Ancient Religion of the Great Goddess
  • Drawing Down the Moon: Witches, Druids, Goddess-Worshippers, and Other Pagans in America
  • Bewitching
  • Lion's Bride
  • Hidden Messages in Water
  • Ancient Mirrors of Womanhood: A Treasury of Goddess and Heroine Lore from Around the World
  • Sacajawea
  • The Woman's Encyclopedia of Myths and Secrets
  • Legendary Warrior (Warrior, #1)
  • The Synchronicity Key: The Hidden Intelligence Guiding the Universe and You
  • Seduce Me in Dreams (Three Worlds, #1)
  • Stranger Than Science
While some of you may know me as the author of Lucinda's Web, Everyday Magic, The Craft, Utterly Wicked and many other books, you probably don't know much else about me. And a good number of you probably have no earthly idea who I am at all. So, why not read a little further and let me introduce myself!

A native Texan, I now live in Virginia with my husband, Mark. I'm a Third Degree Wiccan High

Holiday Series (8 books)