Start by marking “God on a Harley” as Want to Read:
God on a Harley

God on a Harley

3.9  ·  Rating details ·  2,372 Ratings  ·  269 Reviews
At thirty-seven, Christine Moore had a world-class case of burnout: frustrating career, a few dead-end romances, and a less-than-perfect figure. Little did she know her life was about to change completely....
"Come out of the shadows, Christine. You've spent far too much time hiding in shadows." The man who spoke to her was gorgeous -- long sable hair, faded T-shirt, black
Published July 1st 1997 by Atria Books (first published December 31st 1983)

To ask other readers questions about God on a Harley, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about God on a Harley

Charissa
Nov 10, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
Very short read with a good message about loving yourself and being yourself by loving God first. Here are the lessons Christine learns that I'm just putting down here so I don't forget (if you don't want to know them and want to read the book, don't read any further).

1--Don't build walls, for they are dangerous; learn to transcend them
2--live in the moment, for each one is precious
3--take care of yourself, first and foremost
4--drop the ego. be real. and watch what happens
5--All things are poss
Debbie
Christine Moore, a surgical trauma nurse nearing burn out, returns to New Jersey and to her long ago job. Believing that she has finally gotten over a bad relationship with one of the staff doctors, she braves running into him again. After the fateful encounter, Christine decides to go out for a drink and runs into Joe. Joe is only there to help her understand how to best live her life. For Christine, there are only 6 commandments and she seems to be a very quick learner.

Very inspirational, not
April WW
May 19, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: the-book-club
God has a mullet?!

This is a contender for the worst book I've ever read. Luckily it's also short! And entertaining, but not at all in the way it was intended.

Yikes.
Erika Suarez
Un libro para dejar miedos y dudas, para recordar lo importante. "Todo es posible en todo momento"
Valerie
Nov 03, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended by someone that doesn't know me at all. There is a point, but there was a little too much about the 'gorgeous' God-guy (I hate anything remotely evocative of a Harlequin romance) and a silly way of pointing out how the average woman's vanity can get in her way. Just scrape off all the makeup, get rid of the stilettos, let God shine through and you'll attract the man of your dreams. Yeah, yeah, I know, it's an inside job. blah blah blah
Dion Ribeiro
Jan 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Não foi por acaso que escolhi este livro para iniciar o ano, o meu objetivo foi mesmo o de me deixar inspirar pelos ensinamentos que nos são transmitidos. Simples e práticos, fazem-nos repensar em certas atitudes e comportamentos que adotamos ao longo da vida, os quais nem sempre são os mais corretos nem os que nos ajudam a atingir a felicidade.
Cindi
This little book has given me more joy and hope than any book (other than the Bible) I have ever read. I try to read it every couple of years, and to loan it out to my friends when I can --its perfect to finish during most airplane flights-- and I get something new from it each time. It is an old friend at this point and its time to reread it once again...I sure wish that Ms. Brady would give writing one more try :)
Dawn
Aug 31, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction
It was okay. I had a hard time getting past the premise of the book, that "God" is making the rounds on his Harley, planning to spend time with each of us to give us our own personalized commandments (instead of all us us blindly following the Big Ten). "Call me Joe" is handsome and sensitive, and all the sexual -- sorry, romantic -- inferences were, umm, icky. Joe the Higher Power did have some pearls of wisdom, however, and if I read the book without thinking of Joe as God but rather a wise fr ...more
Desiree.osman osman
This book is about a woman who is living a stressful life, with a hard job and many bad romances. Then one day she meets a guy named Joe on a Harley by her home, as she gets to know him he teaches her six rules to live by. Joe ends up being god and leads her to the love of her life. At first this book was hard to get into but after a few chapters I started to get into it and finished it quickly. I recommend this book to women mostly and some more sensitive men or anyone who is religious and need ...more
Kelsey
May 06, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another book from rehab, also cheesy and also amazing! I love it! I have given out many a copies! :)
Kendra
Aug 05, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone needing a spiritual revival
Every time I get disheartened, sad, depressed, I pull out this book. Cheesy though it may be, it revives my spirit, gives me hope.
Daphne
Mar 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Me ha encantado.
Elizabeth Bowman
Un libro que invita a la reflexión. Aparte de la historia en sí, interesantes resultan las enseñanzas morales y los pensamientos que comparte. Hay párrafos y frases realmente destacables.
Werner
Oct 14, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: (With reservations) readers who are well-grounded theologically, but interested in self-help
Recommended to Werner by: My wife
Intrigued by the title, my wife picked this book up for a dime this past summer at a yard sale. Having now read it, she was so pleased by it that she wants to pass it on to our oldest daughter and her husband, and asked me to read it as well. As my rating indicates, I wasn't as taken with it.

Like Joseph Addison's 18th-century work, "The Vision of Mirzah," this is definitely didactic literature intended to teach ideas, with a very plain storyline: human meets supernatural being, who then spouts p
Melissa

So yesterday I went to a book sale and I could not resist this book. The name just called to me and made me giggle. The name is God On A Harley by Joan Brady. The main character Christine Moore found her self moving to the Jersey Shore at thirty seven years old. She was unhappy with her career and really unhappy with her love life. She walks into a bar after a bad day at work she orders two drinks and meets a man that changes her life. He was handsome and
Tessa
Dec 03, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Este libro lo tuve que leer para un examen de mi universidad. La verdad pensaba que sería más aburrido por lo que dice en la contraportada, no me arrepiento de haberlo leído.

No es demasiado fantástico, pero tampoco debo dejar de ver que tiene su propia magia igual que los demás. Este libro va un poco en no solo creer en una religión, la parte más importante de todos: confiar en ti y amarte.

Al menos eso es lo más marcado que me dejo este libro hermoso. Si te gusta esos libros de autoestima es lo
Stacy
Jun 30, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Christine Moore was a 37 year old nurse who had just moved back to New Jersey and was fighting the apathy and bitterness she felt about life. Then she meets Joe, or God if you are old school, and she begins a path to a less complicated, more fulfilled life. He starts popping up in her life in the flesh and sometimes on his Harley. Unfortunately, at some point she feels that she is in love with Joe/God.

This is a slim new age fable that may help you see your life in a new light. At its core it is
Christine
My sweet friend Tedi gave me this book about four years ago. I had just started working at FPA after going through a layoff. I was sick, suddenly single, and had to find new living arrangements ASAP. Oh, did I mention my finances sucked? In other words - these were dark times. Tedi gave me this book and it was a nice escape.

It's about a woman who finds herself upon hard times. She makes a friend - a Native American chap who rides a Harley. Though she's attracted to him he insists that he's mean
Noelia Gamboa
Un libro sin mas. Opté por leerlo porque me lo prestó una amiga.... no se si es el hecho de que soy atea o que ya solo con el título me dió hasta pereza leerlo.... Todo demasiado romántico, empalagoso y autoamoroso. Con esto último quiero decir que te repite unas 50 veces que te debes amar a ti mismo. Gracias autora, no me hace falta su libro, tras mis 20 años de desdichas, para que me digas que me tengo que amar (igualmente gracias por interntarlo). Si te quieres entretener y te gusta adivinar ...more
Brenda
Mar 07, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Before I started reading this book, I thought I would be too embarrassed to place this book on my list, I was right. It started out bad and just got worse. The writing was poor, the theology was terrible and it was much too predictable. I was happy when I finished it. (In case I wonder later, I read it because a friend asked me to!)
DEBORAH L Cross
Feb 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing

I read this book many years ago. My life paralleled Christine. To much work, to much debt and to much ego. After reading this little story I made some serious changes in my life as well.
I recommend this to any women any age. That doesn't like herself and her life. God bless
Jan Deelstra
God On A Harley is an important read because you never know where you'll find God....
Very inspirational and thought provoking.
Emily
Aug 27, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love this little book. Great spiritual journey in such relatable terms. Love it!
Cat
A fable for today's woman! This is on my all-time favorite list...I read it yearly!
Boreal Elizabeth
Aug 14, 2008 rated it it was ok
this was such a bad book in a way but i read it
even wrote down a couple of quotes
i hate to admit it but there were a couple of gems in there
but what a terrible book
Alyson
Feb 15, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
my friend made me read this book when my life wasn't going the way i had planned, very cute book.
Judith
Apr 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rereading and getting more out of it.
Loved it so much had to go buy another copy. I kept loaning mine to girlfriends.
Dara Portman
Sep 05, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A short read...great lesson. Helped change a lot of things in my life.
Salutino
Jan 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
The book makes me similar in the fable of finding yourself as in the monk who sold his Ferrari by Robin S. Sharma & the knight in the rusty armor of Robert Fisher, only this time focused on a woman, I was made interesting, and above all to give friendships that have lost faith in finding love, but forget to find themselves first.

El libro se me hace similar en la fabula de encontrarte a ti mismo como en el monje que vendió su Ferrari de Robin S. Sharma & el caballero de la armadura oxidad
Mary
May 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thanks, Joe...

I was first introduced to this book while living in San Diego. I thought that I'd learned my own "commandments" on my own. But Joe...and Christine, in her own way, showed me that sometimes, letting yourself be pointed in the right direction towards the answer is a good way to go...especially on a Harley. Enjoy this story...it's good that we've found each other again after twenty years.
Book Club Questions 1 2 Sep 05, 2017 12:26PM
  • Compassion in Action: Setting Out on the Path of Service
  • The Reinvention of Work: A New Vision of Livelihood for Our Time
  • The Lessons of Love: Rediscovering Our Passion for Life When It All Seems Too Hard to Take
  • Initiation
  • Wake Up Now: A Guide to the Journey of Spiritual Awakening
  • Keeper of the Dawn (The Keepers: L.A., #4)
  • Villere House (Blood of My Blood #1)
  • Never Alone: A Personal Way to God
  • What If . . .: A Lifetime of Questions, Speculations, Reasonable Guesses, and a Few Things I Know for Sure
  • Dark Angel
  • Visible Threat (Critical Pursuit, #2)
  • Cirque Du Soleil: The Spark: Igniting the Creative Fire That Lives Within Us All
  • Everyday Enlightenment: The Twelve Gateways to Personal Growth
  • Spiritual Economics: The Principles and Process of True Prosperity
  • The Healing Path: How the Hurts in Your Past Can Lead You to a More Abundant Life
  • The Eagle and the Rose: A Remarkable True Story
  • The Last Waltz (Saga of Love and War #1)
  • Out of the Blue (Stewart Sisters, #2)

Joan Brady (born 1950) is an American writer.
More about Joan Brady

• Every Day Is Mother's Day
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Breakdown: A Love Story
    $3.99 $0.99
  • A Blaze of Glory (Civil War: 1861-1865, Western Theater, #1)
  • The House Girl
    $8.24 $1.99
  • The Shepherdess of Siena
  • The Man Who Could Be King
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wildflowers (Glenbrooke, #8)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • A Mother's Secret (Hearts of Lancaster Grand Hotel #2)
  • The Great Man
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Chasing Rainbows: A Novel
  • The Vagrants
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Perfect Son
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Winnowing Season (Amish Vines and Orchards, #2)
  • The Feathered Bone
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Woman Last Seen in Her Thirties
  • A Reunion Of Ghosts
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Prince of Tides
  • Crooked Little Lies
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Our Own Country (The Midwife, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99