Start by marking “The Vision, Volume 2: Little Better than a Beast” as Want to Read:
The Vision, Volume 2: Little Better than a Beast

The Vision, Volume 2: Little Better than a Beast

(Vision (2015) (Collected Editions) #2)

Once upon a time a robot and a witch fell in love. What followed was a tale of the dead and the dying, of the hopeful and the lost, of the wronged and the avenged. And in the end, after both had fallen, the witch and the robot rose from their dirt and eyed each other across a field of blood and bone. Forty-five years in the making, this is the story of Scarlet Witch and ...more
Paperback, Trade, 136 pages
Published December 13th 2016 by Marvel (first published November 30th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about The Vision, Volume 2, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Vision, Volume 2

Start your review of The Vision, Volume 2: Little Better than a Beast
Anne
The conclusion to Vision's gothicish family horror story turned out to be far more readable and complex than I originally thought it would be. <--and I suppose it's not really gothic or horror-y, but it still felt that way to me.

description

There's this slow build-up to something you just know will be terrifying and sad, and it all unfolds within the confines of a picturesque suburbia. And let's face it, nothing is creepier than the 'burbs.
description

I thought all the characters were wonderfully layered, which
Dan Schwent
Dec 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016, 2016-comics
As The Vision's perfect family continues to unravel, Victor Mancha comes to town to spend some time with them. However, he has ulterior motives...

Tom King's run on The Vision comes to an end. We finally find out who the source of Vivian's brain patterns were, the source of some odd behavior on the part of the Vision over the course of the series, and whether or not The Vision is an ass-kicking machine that can take on the entire Avengers roster.

Vin's Shakespeare obsession foreshadows quite a few
David Schaafsma
Portia: When he is best he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst he is little better than a beast.
--Merchant of Venice

Wow, this volume, this series, ended after 12 issues and 2 volumes, alas. And this Tom King, whose Sheriff of Babylon and The Vision I have read in the same two week time period. King is a fine storyteller, by my lights, and especially a fine writer of tight dialogue. And in this series, he creates his own perspective about a Marvel superhero comic and that world.

A
Kemper
Jan 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics, superhero, marvel, 2020
This is amazing in the way that it weaves together the weird history of Vision along with this new story of family and existence to come up with something completely original and heartbreaking.
Sam Quixote
Feb 13, 2017 rated it liked it
Vision’s brother Victor visits but brings complications with him, forcing Vision to make some hard choices about his family.

The Vision is one of those books that occasionally crops up like Saga that everyone goes gay for but totally baffles me as to its appeal. The second and final book in this series is a slight improvement over the first but it’s still only mediocre at best.

I couldn’t get past how contrived the events of the first book were. Virginia does things that shouldn’t have been
Calista
This makes me excited for the new Wanda Vision show on Disney plus. I hear some of the story plots will come from this little run.

Vision lives with his family, who were programed to have all the normal problems families have. They love each other very much. The problem comes when Visions son is killed by his uncle, also a robot. The story gets very good and you wonder if the Avengers would be able to take down Vision if they had too. I'm sure they would find a way.

I love the twist at the end.
Donovan
Dec 24, 2016 rated it really liked it

"KILLER" book, but VERY dark.

Volume 2, and the end of King's short run on the groundbreaking Vision, expands on the Vision pathos and his past. We see Vision with the Scarlet Witch, whose personality and memories became Vivian, much to her distress. And the introduction of Vision's brother, Ultron's son, Victor Mancha, an android with a dark purpose, is the catalyst to send the Vision Family spiraling further out of control.

Tom King oddly reminds me of Cormac McCarthy, but he tries much harder
Chad
Mar 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
The only thing from Tom King that has impressed me until his run on Batman. The stand alone issue flashing back on Vision's relationship with the Scarlet Witch may be the best single Marvel comic I've read in the last few years. The rest of the book is pretty dour, missing the dark humor of the first book. Things continue to escalate to the point where Vision is fated to destroy the Avengers which culminates in a nice twist. It's a shame King's Grayson run hasn't been nearly as good as this ...more
Rory Wilding
Jan 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Although he is predominately writing for DC including his current run of Batman, Tom King made a stop at Marvel where he has now made one of the best runs for the publisher in recent memory, albeit twelve issues. Continuing on with what happened in the last volume, everyone’s favourite “synthezoid” is trying to maintain the safety of his artificial family, despite the Avengers’ fear of him razing the world.

From its beginning, the series has acknowledged the Vision’s history (with the occasional
Bradley
Oct 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This twelve issue run of The Vision has got to be one of the smartest, most vicious, absolutely brilliant runs in comic history.

Think I'm joking? Read it. Come back to me.

Comics rarely make me cry. A few have. Some are really awesome in other ways.

This one is pure tragedy masquerading as vicious comedy, irony, and satire that neatly sidesteps the very idea of satire because the Vision and his family are SO FAR OUTSIDE, looking in, that they actually become everything that we are.

People.
Issa
Feb 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Such a good book... more pathos than really a superhero story... the story of Vision and his new robot family veers towards an inevitable confrontation between Vision determined to protect his new family no matter what the cost and Worlds mightiest heroes, whom Vision used to call friends and allies... concludes one of the best superhero comics of the last few years
Artemy
Oct 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I don't have much to say, except that this is the best Marvel comic since Fraction's Hawkeye, and one of the best comics of the year. And definitely Tom King's best work to date. Absolutely brilliant stuff.
Scott
Jan 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
". . . where nothing can possibly go worng!" -- tagline for the original Westworld film

But things continue to go awfully 'worng' in the conclusion Little Better Than a Beast. Vision's family situation spirals out of control (wife Virginia - "That is . . . good. Good. Good. Good. G-G-G . . ." Oh boy) as they try to keep a lid on their secrets and maintain the facade of an 'average' family from the 'burbs. A timely substance abuse allegory was even briefly dropped in and did not seem heavy-handed
Matthew Quann
Feb 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Marvel fans, the superhero-averse
A worthy, if not entirely satisfactory, conclusion to The Vision maxi-series. I really, really enjoyed the first volume's moody, dread-filled, dark take on the Marvel Universe's favourite synthezoid. It felt like an independent-publisher take on a classic Marvel character. However, as I feared in my review of the first volume, the imminent entrance of the rest of the spandex- and armour-clad super-folk does put a bit of a damper on the second half of this series.

I think that all faults laid at
Sesana
Jan 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: superhumans, comics
A suitably strange, eerie, and sad end to a surprisingly good series.
James DeSantis
Dec 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
I wanted to love this as much as the first. I didn't. However, saying that, it's still filled with a ton of great moments.

Let's start with the fantastic issue about Scarlet and Vision. Might be one of my favorite issues of the entire run. Heartbreaking, sad, and TRUE. Relationships can be bumpy as fuck, and watching a reflection of that with V is soooo sad. I also love the issue when the Avengers come into play. The way Vision acts and does things just goes to show you how important and
B. P. Rinehart
Oct 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everybody Read the whole thing. Both volumes. All 12 issues.
"In sooth, I know not why I am so sad..." - First line of The Merchant of Venice.

"It all just goes through me!" - Viv Vision

I have been wanting to review this graphic novel (and I mean this volume and The Vision, Volume 1: Little Worse Than A Man) in its totality for months now. My top 3 if not top read of 2016. I said in in my review of the first volume that Tom King's The Vision was on its way to becoming one of the greatest graphic novels of all time and now I will say that, in my opinion,
Chris
Nov 19, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: marvel
For some reason, the second half of The Vision was missing the special 'something' that made the first arc so compelling to me. It was still a sold read, but the awe I felt upon finishing the first volume was nowhere to be found after this one.
Andrew
Mar 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
I was lukewarm on the first volume, but in the second and concluding volume, the storytelling clockworks lock into place, and King and Walta deliver a finely-crafted little tragedy. This volume breaks the Marvel mold by having deaths that actually matter and by having morally ambiguous characters that are neither redeemed nor portrayed as totally badass antiheroes.

The last two issues are particularly good, highlighting a bond between Vision and Virginia which is creepy, destructive and
Gray
May 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
“I’m just trying to be straight, to be real with you, y’know?”

“Yes. I know. But please understand. I too am trying to be real.”

In my opinion The Vision, Volume 2 is even better than Volume 1. The opening chapter throws light on Vision's past relationship with the Scarlet Witch and it is beautifully done. We get a deeper feel for his character and discover he has a history; he has loved and been loved. Then the narrative shifts its velocity into *can't-put-this-down-til-the-end* as events spiral
Chris Lemmerman
Nov 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
[Read as single issues]

Bring tissues. You'll need them.

Vision's journey comes to an end in this volume as everything Agatha Harkness has predicted comes to pass. There is heartbreak, there is joy, and there is even some superheroics in a book that has been notoriously light in them. This is as close to an Image book as Marvel are likely to get, and Tom King absolutely knocks this out of the park with the most bittersweet ending in a long time.

Gabriel Hernandez Walta's artwork and Jordie
Paul E. Morph
May 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
To the entire creative team of The Vision,

Thank you for this book.

Every page, every panel, every cover was beautifully rendered. If I could one day produce work this good, I could die a happy artist.

This book made me laugh. This book scared me. This book made me cry. This wonderful story made my heart soar with sheer joy whilst simultaneously casting it to the ground and smashing it into a thousand pieces.

I've been reading comicbooks for almost forty years and this stands out as one of the best
Cheese
Nov 25, 2017 rated it it was ok
I wasn’t expecting to give this such a low score after the first Volume.

It’s obviously well written and the artwork is wonderful. It just didn’t strike a chord with me at all.

I’m happy Marvel have let Tom king experiment and open up the B list characters to more creative writing. I see DC are doing that with Mr Miracle as well.
Wing Kee
Oct 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
If nothing else this stunning second part of the series reminds us what it is to be human.

World: The art is fantastic, it's sets a wonderful tone that's grounded and muted and it makes the fantastic much more real and frankly human. The world building is great, we had the very small and contained world of the first six issues where King focused the story on Vision and the family and with this second part the world expands but it makes sense, it's the Visions interacting with the world and the
Kay
Nov 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: superhero-comics
This was as upsetting as it was well-done.
I feel like we got all the back-story and character depth that was missing from The Vision, Volume 1: Little Worse Than A Man. Especially the Vision and Scarlet Witch history I had wanted.

This volume was a slow-motion fall-apart of the Vision's life. Really heartbreaking and well-written.

Jerry Jose
Oct 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The first words the synthezoid ever heard were the words of his father.

“Welcome to the world of the living”, Ultron said. “You will never know, but a half-life.” His father continued: “I am Ultron 5--, but you shall call me Master."

“Yes Master”, the synthezoid replied. “Why have you called me to life?”

“Not to ask such human like questions, Android!”, Ultron answered.

The synthezoid crossed his arms. “I somehow sense you speak the truth Master, Yet I am consumed with curiosity.”

“Such emotions are
Stewart Tame
Apr 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
That ending was ... less apocalyptic than expected. I'm not complaining, understand. It's a very satisfying finish, just very different from what I'd been expecting. I'd say that this book and volume 1 comprise probably the single best Vision story I've ever read. In this volume, the Vision is struggling to hold his family together and maintain some veneer of normality, when his brother, Victor, shows up. Things rapidly go south.

The pacing is just perfect. As with the first volume, there's this
Chelsea &#x1f3f3;️‍&#x1f308;
Sonic
Feb 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is sweet.

You see, MARVEL? Do you see? Do you??

See what can happen when you let two (or more) strong people work together,
like in this case (writer) Tom King and (artist) Gabriel Hernandez Walta,
and they are OBVIOUSLY working some Magic together, ...
... then you let them continue to do that.

It's that simple.

~

Though, Tom King has already proven his capabilities to This humble reader.

Christopher
Jan 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
Also a gutter! Harrowing as hell!

• Immortal Hulk, Volume 1: Or is he Both?
  • Black Hammer, Vol. 2: The Event
  • Hawkeye, Volume 3: L.A. Woman
  • Silver Surfer, Vol. 4: Citizen of Earth
  • Silver Surfer, Vol. 5: A Power Greater Than Cosmic
  • The Mighty Thor, Volume 1: Thunder in Her Veins

Vision (2015) (Collected Editions) (2 books)
  • The Vision, Volume 1: Little Worse Than A Man
“Parents sacrifice their lives for their children. Then children become parents and sacrifice their own lives. And so all is sacrificed and nothing is gained. Life, then becomes the pursuit of an unobtainable purpose by absurd means.” 4 likes