Start by marking “LITTLE BASKET 2016: New Malaysian Writing” as Want to Read:
LITTLE BASKET 2016: New Malaysian Writing

LITTLE BASKET 2016: New Malaysian Writing

(Little Basket #1)

Little Basket 2016 is the first of a planned annual literary journal of new Malaysian writing. Unlike similar journals in other countries, it is produced with zero government or corporate funding. Each issue will have a print run of 3,000 and won’t be reprinted. Aside from sales at selected bookshops in Malaysia, it will also be distributed at international bookfairs such ...more
Paperback, 1st Edition, 192 pages
Published April 13th 2016 by FIXI Novo

To ask other readers questions about LITTLE BASKET 2016, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about LITTLE BASKET 2016

Biblibio
As a person who doesn't read many literary journals (or any at all, I suppose?), Little Basket 2016 was an absolute break from my usual fare - a complementary copy from the Malaysian booth at the London Book Fair, read in one sitting at the hostel bar while eating pizza (which may have gotten on some of the pages, oops), and then thoughtfully deconstructed as I lay on my top bunk and contemplated sleep.

This is a pretty dang good book. Short story collections come in so many forms, but they alway
Georgette
Mar 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
There's stuff here that didn't do anything for me but that's an anthology with different authors for ya. Happily, there were more stories that left an impression.

This is easily the best from Fixi Novo so far.
Gina
May 07, 2016 rated it liked it
Some I liked, some I didn't. Some I passed. It's a good collection though.
Ellen Lee
Aug 08, 2017 rated it liked it
[This is just a copy of a review I wrote for my personal blog.]

Yesterday while browsing through the shelves at MPH, I picked up a copy of Little Basket, “an annual literary journal offering a taste of Malaysian writing and visuals”. I got the 2016 issue, their very first issue, as it was the only one on the shelves. Maybe the 2017 one went pretty fast? Considering that the 2016 one only had a print run of 3000 copies (after which, the copyright page adamantly states, there will be no second prin
Jake Goretzki
Jul 24, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016
I picked this up in Kuala Lumpur, looking for something contemporary that'd help take the local pulse. I wish more places did this sort of thing.

It's a nice mix: some thoughtful, some daft, some set-piece-y and some kinda YA. I'm getting that Malaysia likes its horror and fantasy (who doesn't). My favourites were 'Wonton Noodles' and the piece on being a Malaysian abroad. 'Local Fauna' was a nice collaboration. A few trippy 'Huh? Who's doing what here?' numbers. But all pretty decent, really.

T
Syaihan Syafiq
Mar 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
This compilation of poem, short stories and strip comics are PER.FEC.TION!

Just as the title implies, it is a sort of little basket full of various 'fruits' of your liking. There's scary ghost stories, supernatural mumbo-jumbo story, sci-fi dystopian short about robot, heartbreaking peek of social commentaries, LOLed snippets of life's anecdotes.

You name it, this book is (sure) going to have it.

Its very hard to pinpoint which stories are my favourite as each and every one of them are really reall
Vhicy
Jun 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
A pleasant surprise. Most of Fixi Novo's titles seem a bit too self-consciously sensationalist; this one has a happy cover design for once not featuring panties or phallic shapes. The stories themselves are natural, unforced, thought-provoking, and I recommend this based on its optimistic (almost feel-good!) realism. This is where I say my faith in Malaysian writing has been restored.

Not all great - a couple of stories still rely on the clunky tropes of pontianaks and bomohs - but overall refres
Anggun P.W
3.5 of 5
"Over there we found ourselves imagining Malaysia, a homeland full of nostalgia."

this book just like a little basket with many fruits inside, some we like, some we dont.

Read my review here >> http://www.thebookishome.com/2016/10/...
Queen
Nov 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I don't usually like short story collections, but I love this one. The content is varied. The fantastical elements are delightful. Each and every piece has something interesting to think about. I also enjoy the cheeky, irreverent style of the editors.

Included this book in my video review https://youtu.be/VSwuJccc96s
LongYC
Aug 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a box of mixed chocolate, the writings / drawings can vary to a relatively great extent so one might not enjoy all of them. Here are some of my favourites from the book:
- Red King, Asleep in the Garden.
- The Green Fuse.
- How Broken Is My Air-cond.
- Man On The 22nd Floor.
- Local Fauna.
- Full Circle.
Zulzafry Zulkifly
Aug 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
sedap tapi ada dua cerpen yang satu hal langsung klise dan tak supprising. tapi paling bes julya oui punya
Shila Adnan
Feb 17, 2018 rated it liked it
there have been love-hate relationship with this book for me. there are some stories that I absolutely love but there are also stories that I could not understand what the story is all about, what's the writer trying to potray/tell.. but for this I blame it on myself. My fav story would be 21 Across lol.
Samantha Sim
Jun 04, 2017 rated it it was ok
the only word i can think of to describe this collection is "unsatisfactory". i liked 21 Across tho.
Mastura AR
Feb 03, 2019 rated it it was ok
Favourite: How Broken Is My Air-cond
Sammi Lim
May 16, 2016 rated it liked it
Joanna
Jun 21, 2016 rated it it was ok
As expected from a collection of short stories, it's a mixed bag (or basket). Unfortunately most of the offerings are blah and only two of them had any zest in them. Still, it's the first issue so let's hope with more submissions next year the editors will be able to put together something less bland.
Najwa  Hanis
Feb 04, 2017 rated it it was ok
Yes maybe my expectations did go higher and I expected the stories impacted me like KL Noir did. However, looking from the literary perspective, the writing (language) is local to Malaysians and good I admit. Hopefully the second issue gains more submissions!
Marc Faoite
Oct 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  (Review from the author)
A mixed bag - some great writing, some less so.

(disclaimer - I am the author of one of the stories in this collection.)
Sean Smith
rated it it was ok
Jan 06, 2017
Joni Chng
Nov 04, 2018
Alien
Apr 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really really like this 'little basket'. I think, out of the 21 works, only 1-2 works that didn't appeal to me. They don't even get to the point where I dislike them, it was just I enjoyed those 1-2 works less than the others.

I decided to read this work after a long weekend getaway to Malaysia and my trip left me confused about the country. In the spirit of wanting to understand the country a bit better, I decided to read this book. It helped me a bit, definitely. And if I were to choose a fa
Ainin Sofia