Start by marking “Hexbreaker (Hexworld, #1)” as Want to Read:
Hexbreaker (Hexworld, #1)

Hexbreaker

(Hexworld #1)

Will a dark history doom their future together?

New York copper Tom Halloran is a man with a past. If anyone finds out he once ran with the notorious O’Connell tunnel gang, he’ll spend the rest of his life doing hard time behind bars. But Tom’s secret is threatened when a horrible murder on his beat seems to have been caused by the same ancient magic that killed his gang.

Ca
Published May 6th 2016 by Smashwords

Start your review of Hexbreaker (Hexworld, #1)
~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~
I'll tell you a secret:

*whispers*

I've never read a book by Jordan L. Hawk before.

I know, I know. Everybody calm down.

So many of my friends pushed me to read the Whyborne & Griffin series, but I just couldn't commit to eight books; plus, I'm usually not a fan of series that focus on the same couple.

But now I get all the fangirling, because Hexbreaker was AMAZING.

The narrative paints a fascinating picture of late 19th century New York, brimming with mystery and magic, witches and their famil
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
*FREE at Smashwords right now! 7/1/18 https://www.smashwords.com/books/view...*

Guys! How freakin' cool is the premise for this story?! Witches and their familiars, who are people/animal shifters? I'm in love!

This story was another brilliant concept from the mind of Jordan L. Hawk, who is known for her blend of historical and paranormal, with a dash of mystery/horror thrown in.

I have a real weakness for historical romance, it turns out, so I really loved that this book was set in long ago New Yo
Heidi Cullinan
May 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I should be an adult and leave an adult view where I point out the values of this book and give Hawk a quotable bite if she wanted to use it. I'll get to that part eventually, but first, I'm going to be totally not an adult and just squee about how much I loved the book. And I'm going to use GIFs. I know a ton of people roll their eyes at GIFs in reviews, but I love them so I'm going to use them, and nobody can stop me.

I think Cicero is rubbing off on me.

So a lot of us have come to love Hawk for
Rhys Ford
Apr 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Okay. Finished up Hexbreaker by Jordan L. Hawk.

Motherfucking hell. Dude. Dudes. Fucking hell.

Such a damned good book.

This is seriously hands-down the tightest, well-written novels ever to slap itself awake and crawl out of Jordan L. Hawk’s complicated and wonderful mind. The range of characters, the world building… the goddamned worldbuilding… the weave into historical events and the laying down of the simplest of details enrich every damned pica this book is made out of.

Do yourself a favour and
Ms. Smartarse
Cicero is a cat familiar working for the New York witch police. Not yet bonded with a witch, he is little more than a paper pusher. Still, the guy figures that he can always annoy his superior into being let to investigate his friend's disappearance. Non-magical cop Tom Halloran on the other hand, wants to stay far away from the public eye, especially when said eye belongs to the witch police. However, once a businessman from his jurisdiction dies under mysterious circumstances, he can't quite j ...more
Sophia Triad
The year is 1897, the days before January 1, 1898.
That was the day that New York, Brooklyn, Queens, Staten Island and the East Bronx will be merged in the Great New York City.

The city is protected by the ordinary police force, but also by Metropolitan Witch Police, MWP, which deals with magic related crimes. Because New York is full of magic and hexes. A hex can be used as a lock, as an alarm, as protection etc.

The ordinary police force is highly corrupted and not really accepted by most civil
Erin *Proud Book Hoarder*
4.5

This book pushed all my romance reading buttons. Great character, great world-building, genuine issues that pop up that aren't easily resolved, fated-to-be-mated but with choice and reluctance at first, steamy build-up and even steamier result, some humor tossed in, a little darkness tossed in, paranormal, check.

Cicero is fun and hilarious. A controversial and daring dresser who only likes hanging out with art types. He's flamboyant and contrary. Add in that he's a cat and it enters pure ador
Vivian
Oct 16, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance-pn, own
NYC circa 1895, AU.

This was fun and since I snatched it up on sale for 99 cents, I'm pretty happy. Hawk is a smooth writer and does paranormal and action equally well. The history in Widdershins was so seamless that it almost disappeared, but here it plays a bigger role and shines bright. From the tenements to Tammany Hall to Commissioner Roosevelt to fairy clubs, it weaves the threads of history into a new tapestry of witchcraft.

Hawk excels at expanding characters that on first blush appear sim
Richard Derus
Jun 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: quiltbag, kindled
Real Rating: 4.75* of five

Tom the Hexbreaker = Yes. Big, solid, muscular boys are always welcome in my world, fictional or factual.

Cicero the Familiar = ...
...
...he's a C-A-T and I ***HATE*** those creatures. The make me sneeze. They have TOXIC SPIT faGawdsake. Their dander, designed by them in conjunction with their lord and master Satan, is so irritating that it causes acute irritation in human mucus membranes.

And I still gave the book almost 5 stars. That, laddies and gentlewomen, is nothin
Kaje Harper
May 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, mystery, light, m-m
This is the first complete novel in a new series by Jordan Hawk. You don't have to read the short prequel first, but I think it adds some world-building that would make this story clearer, and it adds to the pleasure of meeting the first couple again here, as we follow a new pair of MCs.

Tom Halloran is one of the few truly honest beat cops, in a quasi-historical New York where hex-magic is commonplace, sold on corners and in shops, used by everyone including the police. Tom's stellar ethics are
Ingie
Review written October 19, 2016

4 Stars - Terrific historical cat-PRN mystery fun

photo IMG_2806_zpsurm3kckd.gif  photo IMG_2806_zpsurm3kckd.gif  photo IMG_2806_zpsurm3kckd.gif  photo IMG_2806_zpsurm3kckd.gif

I never finished when (buddy-) reading this Hexbreaker book back in May. Real life interrupted and time went...

...Then when I saw it was possible to add the audiobook for a nice WSfV price I couldn't but download the 8:36 hrs audiobook. — A week later and I'm convinced, this was another pretty good and adventurous M/M story from JLH.

...Also a very well performed audiobook narration by the as always
Barbara➰
Wow... Jordan L. Hawk is quickly becoming one of my favorite authors. I love me some Whyborne & Griffin (I totally binged on that series and read the entire thing in 14 days including the novellas) and while this wasn't quite as appealing to me, it was close. She got me out of a reading slump with a book that quickly grabbed my attention and wouldn't let go. I literally could not put this down. I'm not a huge enemies to lovers or pushing away reader. I like for my characters to want to be togeth ...more
Ami
Confession, I did not remember anything from The 13th Hex, which is the prequel of this new series :p. However, I had no problem immersing myself with this novel at all!! Definitely a new series to follow from Jordan L. Hawk.

I thought it was very interesting world-built -- witches and their familiars, New York City in the end of 1890's, magic and hexes ... oh yes, I loved it!! I tend to have good record with urban fantasy series that involved witches so I was really excited with this one.

I lov
Kade Boehme
May 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Effing glorious. Every word.
Ariana
Apr 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Sometimes great things happen when you do not expect it!
I was not sure whether this would really tickle my fancy, I mean - cat shifters, witches and the lot?
But YES, it certainly appealed to me, no ... more than that, Hexbreaker really swept me away.
A chapter in and I was hooked.

Fascinating world building, an immediate jump into the plot and excellent characters just sucked me in! I really enjoyed how Ms Hawk just drops us into this world and lets us find our way round slowly, as we untangle wh
Tamika♥RBF MOOD♥
I received this book for free from in exchange for an honest review.
This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

Oh My Goodness. This book is everything. Jordan L. Hawk is one of the best authors out here. I haven't read a bad book yet, and don't think I will ever!!! Her world building and character building is so thorough. I love all of her characters and her concepts are some of my favorite for paranormal. It's a subject that I like reading about. This book I felt l
Anne Boleyn's Ghost
Despite my utter and unabashed obsession with Whyborne and Griffin, I waited to delve into Jordan L. Hawk's Hexworld series. I don't know why I waited. 4.5 stars.

Since there are ample glowing reviews for Hexbreaker, I’ll spare you all a synopsis. But I need to fangirl a bit - it is a Jordan L. Hawk book, after all.

Hawk's twist on fated mates was welcome and unique. Each familiar has a witch with whom they make the strongest magic, but it's no "join or die". I have realized that I prefer when an
Gerbera_Reads
I loved every book by Jordan L. Hawk that I've read so far. Every one of them is so good and this is not exception. The care and diligence, the painstaking way she spins her story and creates new universe is amazing. The characters are always diverse, the mystery keeps you guessing and the end is always thrilling and you want to read more. This is a story about witches and their familiars. I love reading about magic but this hex magic is a new avenue for me. And witches working for police? So co ...more
Daphne
May 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m-read, 2016-books
Cicero might be my favorite character of 2016.

"The sheer tedium of the work made him want to curl up and take a nap, and let someone else do it for him." I mean, who can't relate to that?!

And Tom... He was just an inherently decent guy. A good man. Joining Cicero's delicately feline persnickety self with a solid bloke somehow just worked - so, so well.

The world building was intense and thorough. The mystery was unique and engaging.

"Cicero's toes were numb from the half-frozen slush of garbage
Caipi
Listened to in May 2020

Ah, Cicero! He's such an awesome character. You just have to love his teasing humor and elegance! But Tom is just as wonderful, always calm and steady, building the perfect counter balance of Cicero. :)

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
Listened to June 2017

Oh Cicero, I loved him on audio even more!

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

Read July 2016
I had a great time reading this book!

The world building was really good and the MCs were just perfect.
Especiall
Jewel
Thank you, Christelle, for the wonderful gift! <3
Pavellit
Oct 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
What a entertaining journey! Being teleported into an alternate universe- the late 1800s in New York City. 'Advertisements flash on distant buildings, taking advantage of the new hexes which allow the words to change depending on who is looking at them'-where the familiars popping in and out of animal form, and looking for their right-witch ones to bond. The one you could instinctively recognized, you could live with, and your magic would be stronger. All you have to do is draw magic from him/he ...more
Chris
Sep 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this - a non stop all day read ! I wasn't sure what I was getting but I adored Whybourne & Griffin so I figured this series was worth a try ... so glad 😊
Jordan Hawk is a talented writer. She tells great stories and is able to plot a mysterious storyline with great care and perfection. This story was focused on Tom and Cisero. Tom had taken the identity of another man after a tragic situation that left him alone and lost. He'd slowly built a reputation as a fair and honest poli
Sofia
Mar 15, 2016 rated it really liked it

A real fun read

I'm very partial to Hawk's brand of paranormal, the kind of brand I can wholely get into. She usually starts with simple stuff but from my experience with her Why & Griff she has no problem amping up that mix. Which I look forward to in this one - as I'm hoping that there will be more. I've even got scenarios floating in my mind.

And to you Caro Cicero

So che questo non fare bene al tuo ego, ma sei magnifico!

☙ nemo ❧ (pagesandprozac)
THIS WAS SO BLOODY GOOD!!!!!

whyborne and griffin is one of my favourite series of all time, and although i really liked SPECTR, it didn't measure up. but this!! THIS!!!!!! this is nearly as good as W&G and i am SCREAMING. fucking SCREAMING.

full RTC if i ever stop fucking screaming !!!
Chris, the Dalek King
I was truly psyched to learn that Jordan L. Hawk was going to turn the world she created in her short story The 13th Hex (which I had the chance to review in the Charmed and Dangerous: Ten Tales of Gay Paranormal Romance and Urban Fantasy anthology) into a series. I adored Dominic and Rook, and found the world of familiars and their witches to be highly fascinating. Not to mention that any world that Jordan Hawk creates is bound to have all sorts of fun little avenues to explore, and the short s ...more
C.S. Poe
May 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
This book, simply put, is incredible. The 13th Hex was a marvelous introduction to this alternate, turn of the century, New York City, but Hexbreaker is where Jordan L. Hawk forever stakes a claim in the paranormal genre.

The world-building is phenomenal. Hawk is a master at blending fact with unrivaled imagination. Their attention to historical detail: the wintry streets in the Lower East Side, clothing, legitimate businesses of the time and political beliefs of citizens, all the way to the cons
Saioa
4,5*

We all know that I'm usually not fond of mystery books, and even less of murder cases, but we can count this one as the exception.

description

The fictional universe of this book was amazingly constructed. Such a great imagination and an even more wonderful way to describe it. I was honestly hooked at page four.
This is the first book of Jordan L. Hawk I read and I found her writing style as enchanting as the whole magic world she created.

description

Cicero is a cat familiar without a witch of his own working for th
Alisa
This is a fabulous start to a new series. The setting is a historical alternative universe where witches and their familiars fight crime against all sorts of magical bad guys. In this, Tom Halloran is a witch who is hiding his powers. He works for the human police department and hides his past. He lives an isolated and somewhat lonely life. A murder of a shop keeper in his neighborhood causes him to seek assistance from the Magical Police Force against his better judgment. Tom is immediately pai ...more
The Backlot Gay B...: Hexbreaker, by Jordan L. Hawk 3 27 Jun 27, 2016 03:47PM

• Remnant: A Caldwell & Feximal/Whyborne & Griffin Mystery (The Secret Casebook of Simon Feximal, #3; Whyborne & Griffin, #3.5)
  • The Secret Casebook of Simon Feximal
  • The Gentle Art of Fortune Hunting
  • A Queer Trade (Rag and Bone, #0.5)
  • Spectred Isle (Green Men, #1)
  • A Fashionable Indulgence (Society of Gentlemen, #1)
  • Jackdaw (The World of A Charm of Magpies)
  • Rag and Bone (Rag and Bone, #1)
  • A Seditious Affair (Society of Gentlemen, #2)
  • The Sugared Game (The Will Darling Adventures #2)
  • Think of England (Think of England #1)
  • Flight of Magpies (A Charm of Magpies, #3)
  • An Unseen Attraction (Sins of the Cities, #1)
  • Provoked (Enlightenment, #1)
  • A Gentleman's Position (Society of Gentlemen, #3)
  • Beguiled (Enlightenment, #2)
  • Unfit to Print
  • The Ruin of Gabriel Ashleigh (Society of Gentlemen, #0.5)
See top shelves…
Jordan L. Hawk is a trans author from North Carolina. Childhood tales of mountain ghosts and mysterious creatures gave him a life-long love of things that go bump in the night. When he isn’t writing, he brews his own beer and tries to keep the cats from destroying the house. His best-selling Whyborne & Griffin series (beginning with Widdershins) can be found in print, ebook, and audiobook.

Hexworld (4 books)
  • Hexmaker (Hexworld, #2)
  • Hexslayer (Hexworld, #3)
  • Hexhunter (Hexworld #4)

News & Interviews

“Rule by cats, that’s what we really need. My first decree would be for more naps.” “And” 2 likes