Start by marking “Humans, Bow Down” as Want to Read:

Humans, Bow Down

In a world run by machines, humans are an endangered species.

The Great War is over. The robots have won. The humans who survived have two choices: they can submit and serve the vicious rulers they created, or be banished to the Reserve – a desolate and hopeless slum camp.

Now, following the orders of their soulless leader, the robots are planning to finish what the Great Wa
Published April 6th 2017 by Cornerstone Digital (first published February 20th 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Humans, Bow Down, please sign up.
Mary Not worth reading.Very disappointing. I agree with the other posters -- I doubt Patterson even read this one, let alone wrote it.
Cavak I wouldn't say the writing is juvenile. More like generic sci-fi action film, maybe one that you would see in the '80s or '90s. What makes it seem…moreI wouldn't say the writing is juvenile. More like generic sci-fi action film, maybe one that you would see in the '80s or '90s. What makes it seem like YA is that every chapter has to have a suspenseful cliffhanger moment before it ends, the overall avoidance of deep philosophical questions for the sci-fi elements, and the handful of one-dimensional characters that get at least a moment of focus.

There's death, violence, torture, drug abuse, racism (though a sci-fi variation of it), mentions of suicide, and detailed descriptions of emaciation. So I would say it's up to you if you think it would be appropriate for a 13-year-old.(less)

Jason
Mar 07, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
2.5 Stars - Rounded up to 3 Stars

Humans, Bow Down! It's not an idea that is new or anything, and yet it had so much potential to be an amazing tale. This story should have been fleshed out into a trilogy or something, and it could have been quite interesting. Initially I picked up this book because the jacket is shiny and flashy (yes, I'm that easy...) Lol.

The novel was rushed, though. The story was crammed into one novel (the ending doesn't make it clear if there will be a sequel). Therefore, t
Steve Schlutow
I was looking forward to reading this book only to be completely let down. Horrible book. Great idea, but terrible story.
Brian
Mar 04, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book feels like it was written by the Hu-bot that would replace James Patterson in this society. It fails to live up to the thrills, brutality and suspense of his other works. There are some interesting ideas, but the pacing makes it impossible for them to resonate with the reader. The illustrations are distracting, and I do not understand why they are in this book. If you're a fan of James Patterson, I'd recommend reading almost anything else he's written before reading this one. If you li ...more
richard
Feb 26, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I read James Paterson books as often as the leap year shows up. One every 4 years.

I like robots, I like robots that we have to fight. So naturally (since I'm basically dug from up) with its shiny red cover and huge bold title HUMANS BOW DOWN I was instantly drawn to the book. Saw it was a Patterson and told myself to forget about it, leave it alone. So I did exactly what I knew I was gonna do and bought the shiny red book.

The idea isn't really anything new, instead of at the beginning of the w
Rissa
Sep 03, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 ⭐ ...more
Wendy
Apr 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Humans, Bow Down

This is not a book that I would normally read but I did enjoy it. This has been a great change that James Patterson has done teaming up with different writers and publishing all kinds of different types of books. I can't wait to see what he comes out with next.
Robin
Feb 27, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I tried, but I just couldn't do it.
Vorbis
Mar 31, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: did-not-finish
I wasn't expecting the juvenile tone. It's a very YA book, not because of the cast of young characters but the writing style is simplistic and lacking in detail.

I didn't like the characters, I didn't like the world, I didn't care about the conflict between the humans and the bots, so I skim read. I don't read a lot of sci-fi, so it says a lot that this managed to feel like a cliche. I'm tired of dystopias.

So, astonishingly, it turns out the humans aren't all good and the robots aren't all bad!
Rei
Jan 22, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is the worst book I have ever read - The only reason it gets 2 stars is that it is so bad it is funny so it kept me reading and it didn’t feel like a chore to do so.
Unlikeable/unrealistic characters, cringey “futuristic” lingo and unoriginal storytelling.

I recommend it if you want a laugh 😂
Tom
Sep 19, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
It's been awhile since I've actively hated a book but read it all anyway. Maybe this would've worked somewhat as a simpler graphic novel. There are "illustrations" that point in that direction, which really look to me staged photographs. Weird.

Anyway, James Patterson lends his million dollar name in this case to what must have been a group of 13 year girls at a sleep-over, amped-up at 3am on Skittles, Red Bull and Mountain Dew:

"Ooooo... you guys! I have the awsomeest idea! What if robot-humans
George Hancock
Feb 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I won and received an Advance Reading Copy. Patterson has done it again.
A good story with interesting characters. Isaac Asimov is shaking his head.
Reese Copeland
Sep 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was the first Patterson book I've ever read. It was not a bad read. Had great elements of sci-fi. It had an enjoyable story with a good mix of sci-fi and story that kept you going. This., as opposed to so much sci-fi that the story is just flooded by scientific lingo. Good characters and some good plot twists to boot.
Judy
Jun 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-book
Although labeled by the library as adult fiction, feel it could almost be YA. But regardless, a good read. About what makes us human or not. Would like to see what happens next.
Kady Monroe
Jun 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library, robots, dystopian
It took quite a few chapters for me to get into this story, mainly because at first, I didn't really like the characters. They did start to grow on my however, and once that happened, I started to enjoy the book.
I agree with some other reviewers that the book does read more like a YA, dystopian story, as the main characters are young.
There seemed to be an opening for a sequel at the end of this book, and if there was then I would probably read it.
☘Tara Sheehan☘
This is definitely going to be a divisive book in that you’ll either like it or hate it.

I am on the fence about this book. On the one hand, for a Patterson book, it is an interesting concept reading about a world where the robots are in charge and humanity is near extinction. The robots in this one were also portrayed differently than in most AI uber bad stories in that they acted almost completely human, even eating and creating ‘waste’, along with having feelings. At the same time, how many mo
Sam (Clues and Reviews)
For all my reviews, visit Clues and Reviews
www.cluesandreviews.wordpress.com

In a world run by machines, humans are the endangered species. After a devastating war, the robots (known as Hu-bots) have won. Surviving humans have two options; submit or be banished. Six, a young woman, chooses the ladder and soon is a fiery rebel on the run. With nothing to lose, and a secret weapon that could save human kind, can she unlock the secret that can save her life? Or will she be forced to bow down…forever
Jane
Aug 26, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
James Patterson should go back to writing for quality not quantity. His books have gone down hill slowly but surely the more books he puts his name to. There was a point a few years ago when I was proud to say I'd read everything he'd written - not any more. This year alone (August 2017) he has put his name to over 50 books - many of them Book Shots - that's writing more than a book a week. There's no keeping up and if this one is anything to go by then I don't want to keep up. The story felt ru ...more
Lesley
Jun 08, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book was like a bad one-night stand that lasted for months. I can't write anymore about this book, it is making me have flashbacks.
Robotics Through Science Fiction
Teresa
Mar 26, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is definitely not a typical James Patterson writing. In fact, it is hard for me to find James Patterson's work in this book. Regardless, it was interesting, I am curious about how this all turns out in the next book, but I am not curious enough to buy the book and spend the time reading it. Sixie and Kitty were fun to ride with as they formed their friendship, but it is pretty predictable what happens in the next book.
Nathan McConville
Good. Typical Robots vs. Humans Sci-Fi. Some interesting concepts I haven't read in other sci fi novels. Probably could have worked as a short story just as well.
Joel Mitchell
Jun 18, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
It took just three days for the robots (hu-bots) to seize power and slaughter most of humanity. The remaining humans either serve as “reformed” slaves in The City or live as “savages” (mostly drug and alcohol addled delinquents) on The Reservation. Our story follows one such delinquent (first person narration) and one hu-bot detective (third person limited omniscient narration) tasked with finding her after she and her thuggish meathead friend steal a car (or is there another ill-explained reaso ...more
Dan
Oct 14, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
I rented this audio book thinking, Patterson trying his hand at science fiction? Cool! Actually, this was written by his co-author Emily (Last name, who cares? She's never going to publish a word I want to read). Maybe Patterson formatted it into short chapters for Emily so he could put his name on it and make Emily a little money for charity's sake. How do I know it was Emily who wrote this? The writing was done by someone with the emotional maturity of a 14-year-old. The science fiction was ho ...more
JonRaven
3/5

I really enjoyed this! So why the lower rating? Well, I'll get to that.

This is a Young Adult novel. It isn't typical James Patterson, as I understand (it's the first time I've read anything by him). It isn't actually written by James Patterson, as is the case with most books labeled with his name, as I learned, and to my surprise.

I was give a copy of this by a friend, and was very skeptical. James Patterson? He's that guy that mills out book after book... they can't be good...not with such va
Darren
Apr 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I know that James Patterson does not venture away from crime thrillers, very often. This is a definite success. If you like the, maximum, series. You will definitely like this. This shows that James Patterson needs to definitely do more books in the, dystopian category. JoinSix on her adventure and find out all about her. Although this is a standalone book, it definitely could be expanded to a series. There are some definite unexpected twists along the way. You will not be disappointed.
Shirley Laliberte
Really did not like this book-writing was very childish.
Harold Walters
In this novel robots want to destroy all humans. And the book has pictures. Goody. [I actually read the book, not listen to an audio CD as the picture suggests.]
Peter Fiske
Pitiful excuse for a book.
Aaron
Mar 26, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Patterson and co-author Emily Raymond dive back into the genre of science fiction with this post apocalyptic tale that seems to blend the Terminator and Mad Max franchises along with a touch of the Battlestar Galactica television show. A little more than a decade before the start of the novel, humans made the mistake of creating automatons to help make life easier, but as always happens with these types of tales, those bots tend to adopt some of their creators worst characteristics in wanting to ...more
Danielle Long
Warning: I'm going to write this review with some Terminator references, so hold on tight.

1. Humans create robots (HUBOTS) to take over doing chores and such.
2. Hubots decided to think and act by themselves and want to have Humans Bow Down.
3. Great War (Terminator reference enter here: when Skynet becomes fully functional by itself: aka the Primiere for HBD) and in 3 days the human population is near extinction.
4. Humans have two choice, a. to become slaves to the Hubots or b. live in exile in
Around the Year i...: Humans, Bow Down by James Patterson 2 16 Jun 13, 2017 09:13PM

• Wedding Shots
  • Machine Wars
  • A.I. Destroyer (The A.I. Series, #1)
  • The Sky So Big and Black (Century Next Door, #4)
  • City 1 (Revolution 19, #3)
  • The Biofab War (Biofab War, #1)
  • Edenborn (Idlewild, #2)
  • Computer One
Official US Site
Official UK Site
JIMMY Patterson Books
ReadKiddoRead

James Patterson is the world’s bestselling author and most trusted storyteller. He has created more enduring fictional characters than any other novelist writing today, with his Alex Cross, Michael Bennett, Women’s Murder Club, Private, NYPD Red, Daniel X, Maximum Ride, and Middle School series. He has sold over 380 million books wo