Start by marking “Journey to Love: Marie's Journey, 1901 (Orphan Journeys #1)” as Want to Read:
Journey to Love: Marie's Journey, 1901 (Orphan Journeys #1)

Journey to Love: Marie's Journey, 1901

(Orphan Journeys #1)

Now orphaned, Marie is swept miles away from the only life she knew to be sheltered by unknown guardians. Caught in the challenges of a new life, she cannot prevent changes from happening, but she can keep the Bowles and their friends at arm's length. Or can she?

While things appear to transition smoothly on the outside, Marie struggles against the turmoil she faces on the
Published March 14th 2016

To ask other readers questions about Journey to Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Journey to Love

R.J. Rodda
Jan 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: christian, historical
This was surprisingly uplifting. It is essentially about a young girl's struggle to realise that God is a God of love and describes her journey to life-changing faith. Her conversion feels authentic. There is a lot of discussion of scripture in this which was edifying in and of itself.

Oh and I liked the cover. The girl on the front looks just right for Marie.

This is a clean historical non-romantic Christian fiction about a orphaned school girl.
Kellyn Roth
This book made me so happy! It also inspired me. Now, that's quite rare. Because I'm not an easily inspired person. So that says something about this book, right?

Although a few things weren't as fleshed-out as I would have liked (the novel seemed a wee bit too short for the plot and characters), this was a really amazing book, and I'd recommend it to all Christians of all ages.

Find the full review on Reveries Reviews.

~Kellyn Roth, Reveries Reviews
Kate Willis
Jan 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was such a sweet book and a great reminder of God’s love for us! Although it was very slow in some parts, I found the natural sharing of the Gospel through everyday conversations (and a few church services) very encouraging. 1 John is seriously one of my favorite books, so I was happy to see it featured so much. Marie was a nicely complicated character, although it was hard to pinpoint her age. I kept changing my mind on that one. ;) It was so sweet when the Bowles were worried about (view ...more
Olivia
This truly is a journey to love. I expected this to be good, and while I could have used a little more description in some places, I recommend this book for all ages. Traveling on the orphan train, Marie is adopted by the Bowles, and there she finds love...God's love. She does not feel true peace until she accepts God's love.

There are many good characters in this novella. The Bowles are a sweet couple who pray and love Marie. Mary, a blind fifteen year old, helps Marie see God's true love. Then
R.A.
Aww this was such a sweet book!!

The Characters:
Marie - I was drawn to her immediately; I felt so bad for her and the memories she had from her former life. Oh but the love-lessons she learned through the book!! They helped me too! :)
Mr. and Mrs. Bowles - they were so sweet!! <3 Mrs. Bowles personality cracked me up and Mr. Bowles was just sweet all around!
Mary - loved her!!!!
Caleste - she was sweet too! I love how she and Mary kept loving Mary, even though Mary didn't understand why!

The Story
Jesseca Wheaton
Feb 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Journey to Love is a sweet story about Marie, an orphan who travels on an orphan train west.
I really enjoyed reading about Marie. Her journeys and her struggles were very realistic, and I loved seeing her grow through the story.
It was a little hard for me to relate to her, but that could just be me. ;) Mary was so sweet, and Edward, though he was hardly mentioned, was probably my favorite character. (I just love brother/sister stories!) While this one only touched on their relationship, it mad
Lesa McKee
Mar 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
All aboard for a story of forgiveness, hope, and love! This book intrigued me because of the history associated with it. I'm happy to say it blessed my heart when I read it!

Journey to Love is more than a book, it's a deep spiritual journey about a young embittered girl who needs to find the truth about God after her world has been turned upside-down through the death of her parents.

Pros:
This is a touching story, perfect for those who are dealing with faith and trust issues when it comes to God.
Melanie
Aug 31, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: august, where
When I started this book I didn't realize it was recommended for ages 10-13...but I could definitely tell that by reading the story. It felt like a younger read and, even though I enjoy that genre, I didn't love this book. The characters were fine. The story was a bit too preachy for my tastes, but I didn't dislike it.

Janell R.
Feb 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Please allow me to introduce you to Marie, 12 year-old orphan who doesn’t have much love in her heart for anyone, and is convinced that there isn’t anyone-including God- who loves her. As part of an orphan train, her future looks bleak, until she is taken in by good-hearted Mr. and Mrs. Bowles, who begin to demonstrate what real love looks like, and point her to the Source of that love, God. However, Marie is skeptical…why would a God of love have put her and her family through so much suffering ...more
Victoria Minks
Aug 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
A very cute story. I enjoyed reading this and was pleased with the clear salvation message in it. I personally found Marie a little hard to like or relate to, but the characters were all well formed and the plotline easy to follow. My favorite character was definitely Mark, so I was tickled pink at the end. ;) I wish he had been in it a little more, actually!
I could definitely see Marie's struggle throughout the book, and I felt that the author did a very good job in dealing with various diffic
Amanda Tero
Feb 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Set in the era of the Orphan Train, Journey to Love follows the fictional story of one girl, Marie, as she settles into life with her new family--an older couple, Mr. and Mrs. Bowles.

Recommended for ages 10-13, suitable for all ages.
Mikayla
This was a nice short read. I loved Marie, though I felt she acted just a tad young sometimes for a twelve year old. Mary was super sweet, so was her whole family. Overall, a nice light read.
Kristen Kooistra
Aug 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Journey to love is a heart-warming story about a little girl who's adopted at the start of the story. Marie is bitter, reclusive, and in so much pain for someone so young.

Marie spends most of the story angry at God and walling off her heart from everyone around her. She isolates herself at school, home, church, and even at her only friend's house. She makes it impossible for people to get close and harbors a lot of resentment, imagining the worst of everyone.

Slowly she opens up and lets other p
Rebekah Morris
Feb 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was a wonderful story. Well told yet not complex. It made me want to go visit the town and meet the characters in person. Amanda did a good job of explaining and dealing with some hard issues but she did it with grace and without "preaching" to the readers.
I also loved the fact that at the end of the book she tells you what was real and what had been changed to make the story.

I received this book free from the author for my honest review.
Apr 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Age Appropriate For: All Ages
Best for Ages: 8-15

My introduction to the orphan train was a series of books by Arleta Richardson I read in the 90’s. The concept was one that intrigued me. I was excited when I saw that Tero was writing a series about the orphan train and happy to snap up the first book for free.

Marie was a very realistic character. It is a very rare child that comes away from being an orphan and abandoned happy and well-adjusted. Marie has a lot of bitterness and major trust issues
Claire Banschbach
Jun 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was a great story about the power of God's love and sharing His love with others. Amanda did a great job with it. I liked seeing Marie's progression from the closed off orphan to the girl who found God and a new family.
I also enjoyed the historical note at the beginning and at the end of the story, explaining the context. It was a neat bit of history that I wasn't familiar with and I enjoyed getting to learn a little bit about it.
Quick and easy read with a great message!

*I received an e-
Hailey Rose
Aug 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Very sweet, enjoyable story that anyone will enjoy!
Cate
This book was so beautifully written! I liked the setting (Orphan Train books always interest me), and I enjoyed reading about the girl's struggle with loving her brother and God. I recommend this book to girls. In particular, this book may help anyone who doesn't want to love God or their neighbor.
Tarissa
Feb 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
For fans of Christian fiction, Journey to Love is a brand new story that you'll want to read. Written especially for kids, teens, and families to enjoy.

Ever since middle school when I read a few books on the topic, I've held a particular interest for the Orphan Trains that traversed America a century ago. These charity-funded train programs gave hope of providing orphans (or abandoned or homeless children) with better opportunities in life and finding families to call their own. Journey to Love
Kelsey Bryant
Feb 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
4.5 Stars! Journey to Love is a touching story of transformation. Painfully shy Marie Dixon, an orphan with a terribly unhappy past, is sent from New York to Illinois farm country on the Orphan Train. God has directed her path—in her new home, she encounters many people who introduce her to His love. We get to follow her on her journey to accept that love.

Though perhaps hard to identify with at first, because of her difficult attitude, Marie grew on me. She was totally believable as a twelve-yea
Bekah
Aug 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Journey to Love: Marie's Journey, 1901 by Amanda Tero was a very good story and was well worth my money to purchase. I definitely recommend this story for younger readers as well as older readers who enjoy a good story. It was a great, CLEAN, awesome story with a good message in it.

What I Liked: I loved all the Scripture verses in it and how they encouraged Marie, even when she necessarily didn't want the truth. Marie was a very likable character and I felt for her as she was in a different envi
D
Mar 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Bam! That is the word that slammed into my spirit the minute I felt Marie's emotions leap off the page and squeeze my heart. The pain, sorrow and anger she carried was like hauling heavy luggage. It was like being thrown against a wall by an intruder that had just invaded my home. But, the way God relentlessly pursued her through the friendship of Mary, through the love of the Bowles, the sermons of Pastor Owens and through the wonderful innocence of Celeste was like a lover who would not give u ...more
Kimberly Snyder
Jul 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Aww, I really liked this book!! Short and sweet, but still full of meaning and substance! Now that's hard to come by!

While I really, really enjoyed the storyline and characters, the only thing I felt was missing was a clear timeline. As far as I could tell, Marie showed up in Creston in late fall (because I assume the crops were already taken in; that would have been included in the story, surely, had she gotten there before harvest), but then we're told that "months" past before Thanksgiving.
Kyrie
Feb 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Incredibly well-written; I was immediately pulled into the story through vivid and skillfully-described scenes, believable characters, and a plot that moved quickly and was woven together with some delightful little twists and turns. I felt like I was watching it all happen, yet was inside the mind of the main character at the same time. A deceptively simple story, dealing with humanity's innate need for ultimate love, acceptance, and lasting peace.

An intensely satisfying read; and the epilogue
A.M. Heath
Feb 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, novellas
What I Loved: Amanda has a way of sharing the love of Christ in all of her writings. The message is very clear and yet the stories are very real. And this was certainly true of Journey to Love. This sweet novella packed a powerful gospel punch as Marie overcomes the obstacles of a hard past and a cold religion.
Journey to Love is the first story in the Orphan Train series and I’m looking forward to future stories from this author.

Rating and Recommendation: I’m giving Journey to Love 5 stars and r
Alicia
Nov 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
A sweet story about learning to love and forgive and finding a new family. The novella was very focused on Marie's spiritual journey and many parts of the story were almost like devotionals. I really liked that aspect; however, I would have also liked to have known more about the characters and seen more plot points. A bunch of story details could have been a bit expanded upon. That said, I really enjoyed the story and thought that the writing was superb! And, I loved the epilogue :)
Lexxie
Nov 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book was so cute and covered some important questions that everyone asks. I absolutely love the character development of Marie. Very good book.
Erika Mathews
Aug 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Well written emotions, highly spiritual content, good plot. This is a book I recommend.
Meagan
Mar 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this novella. I grew up on Little House on the Prairie and other Midwest TV shows and books, orphan-train and otherwise, and Journey to Love fits right in. It’s a little different in that it focuses on the children and only shows their adult denouement via a short epilogue, but I actually really enjoyed that, appreciating the novella’s focus on their childhood and not glossing over the difficulties they face. That is what sets Journey to Love apart from other orphan-train storie ...more
Camilla
Mar 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Journey to Love by Amanda Tero is a story reminiscent of the classics of years ago. The flow was trudging and slow, which made me a little impatient in parts, but it was a telling and useful way to share the main character's- Marie Dixon's- struggles, insecurities, fears, and the journey she was on to discover what the Love of loves really is, and how to accept it for the free gift that it is. It is an almost coming-of-age kind of story of the soul, and it is fraught with the angst of Youth, the ...more
Amanda Tero is a homeschool graduate who desires to provide God-honoring, family-friendly reading material. She has enjoyed writing since before ten years old, but it has only been since 2013 that she began seriously pursuing writing again – starting with some short stories that she wrote for her sisters as a gift. Her mom encouraged her to try selling the stories she published, and since then, sh ...more

Orphan Journeys (2 books)
  • Letter of Love (Orphan Journeys #2)
“It is impossible for one to show love unless he has accepted love.” 3 likes