Start by marking “I Love You As Big As the World” as Want to Read:
I Love You As Big As the World

I Love You As Big As the World

Big Bear and Little Bear love each other SO much that their love stretches high up into the mountains, far away to the stars, and down deep to the bottom of the sea. It is big enough to fill the whole wide world. Lush, brightly-colored illustrations, from the illustrator of Little Honey Bear and the Smiley Moon, capture the humor and intimacy of a very special relationship ...more
Published May 1st 2013 by Good Books (first published February 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about I Love You As Big As the World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Love You As Big As the World

Start your review of I Love You As Big As the World
Oct 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: four-star
My son and I loved reading this book together, it was short and sweet and rhymed throughout. I loved the sentiment too, I’m sure it’s brought a tear to the eye of more than one parent.
Fred
Mar 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Seems like there's a whole bunch of books of this type - but this is the best one. Just read it to my boy as a second bedtime story and told him that I read it to him when he was a baby. It's been awhile - the last time he could hardly have formulated questions about it. So he asked me what the daddy bear and the cub were doing on one of the pages, and before I could answer he said that the daddy was teaching the baby to roll in the grass. Melt my heart. And then he said that it is "a short ...more
Catherine Drennan
I Love You As Big As the World by David Van Buren is a very short book about a little bear and a momma bear sayin how much they love one another. They give many examples including the ocean. In the end the momma bear tells the baby bear that she loves him so much because he is just they was he is supposed to be, and he is always himself.

I enjoyed reading this book because even though it is a very short book, I like how it conveys love between a mother and son. I love how it shows that people
Olivia Marino
Jan 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-lit
This book is SO cute! A very simple read for children of young age. Something good for parents to read to their young children. The book is just small sentences of how big the momma bear loves her baby. You could apply this to maybe a valentines day theme lesson in a classroom!
Christina Reid
Nov 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lovely, reassuring story along the same lines as 'No Matter What'. Would be a nice bedtime story! Could also be used to springboard an activity where children come up with their own comparisons for how much they love something or someone.
Colorado Buck
Feb 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
very nice. short and sweet. rhyming sentences, nice drawings, great message.
Jessica
Jun 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
A sweet story of love and tenderness to share with your preschoolers, to remind them how much their parents love them. A book to treasure
Staci Elizondo
Apr 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids-favorites
This is one of our family's favorite books for young children. Each of my kids has gone through a phase where they pick these every day before naps.
Michelle
Mar 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
A super sweet book. I read it to my little bear every day.
Michelle Huber
Oct 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I bought this after having my son, and I always read it and loved the illustrations and the descriptions of just how much we love our children. It warms my heart
Samantha Brake
Jun 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Molly's favorite.
Liselotte
Nov 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned, picture-books
This is SUCH a cute book I can't deal with it!! It just tells the story of loving someone, not just between a parent and a child, but just LOVE and it's adorable and amazing and I love it
Yvonne O'connor
Jan 29, 2019 rated it did not like it
One of those typical rhyming “I love you” as much as blah blah blah sappy tomes.
Amy
Feb 09, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: luke-s-shelf
illustrations are great, not much story, and some lines don't really make sense
Sherri
Dec 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book
A fun picture book about the depths of a momma bear’s love for her cub.
Gwen Babb Parmer
Jul 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
First book I’ve read to my sweet Angel granddaughter. At only 2 months she looked at the pictures and listened intently.
Rhianna
Feb 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Delightfully charming and easy to follow with adorable illustrations.
Summer
Feb 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
These illustrations....oh my goodness they are so heartwarming. ...more
Jessica
Jan 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My favorite book to get for expecting moms. I read this over and over to my babies and I still sometimes go back to it even though they are a little older now (preschooler and K).
Tiffany
Aug 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-books
Very sweet bonding story!
Sara
Dec 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
makes me tear up every time
Gina Marie Valdez
Feb 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Bought this for our older son as a gift. This is a phrase that he says to his father and I daily. He was able to read it to us, together as a family and we loved it.
Rachel Harwood
Aug 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book captures how much love big bear has for little bear as his love is expressed through beautiful similes and big bear says he knows little bear ‘loves’ him in the same ways. Similes like ‘I love you as bright as the sun’ or ‘as deep as the sea’ and ‘as strong as the wind’ picture a love that is intense, meaningful and natural through the natural imagery of the sea, wind and sun. Love is further depicted through other natural imagery in lines like ‘I love you as soft as the dew’, ‘as far ...more
Arinn Wall
Sep 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book is about a mother bear's love for her cub -- how deep, high, wide and strong it is. The book depicts them in many different scenes, such as a snowy mountain top and a sprawling meadow, and the mother compares the scene to her vast love.
I loved this book. The illustrations are one of my favorites I've seen so far; they are beautiful. I also love the bear characters because bears are my favorite animals. I thought this book was so sweet and a beautiful tribute to the love a parent has
Cassidy Reed
A big bear and a little bear love each other in several different ways, which are illustrated in the book. The love the two bears have for each other is as deep as the sea, as bright as the sun, and is big enough to fill the whole world. The author uses different aspects of the world to show how much the bears love each other.

This book was super adorable. I loved the colorful illustrations and the simplicity the book had, but at the same time how meaningful the book was.

I would use it to show
J-Lynn Van Pelt
A beautiful picture book for young readers about the vastness of a parent’s love. It is written in similes which most children won’t fully understand, but they are great examples of imagery within language. Lines like, “I love you as deep as the sea,” and “I love you as strong as the wind” are made more concrete by the fantastic corresponding illustrations. The pictures are watercolor and charcoal portrayals of an adult bear and his/her cub as they explore their natural surroundings. A great ...more
Tori Davenport
The artwork in this book is simplistic yet full of life and meaning towards the text of the book. The text is simple it just goes around the world it seems saying what we love you more than. The storyline is very simple yet the meaning behind this book can be monumental. If there is a child who is upset or you are worried about you could read this book to the class so that they know that they are loved.
Erin Reilly-Sanders
Pretty decent for a board book, even if it's a bit sappy. The illustrations are great with the texture of the paper peeping through the watercolor washes and a little bit of pencil/crayon/chalk pastel for light details. Consequently, the pages are very simple but feel fresh and deep with the overlapping shapes of the watercolors. The bears are maybe just a little too cutesy so this may not be everyone's cup of tea.
Maria Davis
Apr 25, 2011 rated it liked it
I really like this picture book. The illustrations and the text make it a sweet book that really expresses the love a parent has for a child. I also love that it is a good selection for the younger students whom I plan to teach one day. I think I Love You as Big as the World would be a wonderful book to use in a guided reading group.
Hannah Cobb
Feb 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: storytime
Looking for a good Valentine's Day read aloud to share with your child? David Van Buren's I Love You as Big as the World conveys the loving relationship between a parent and a child through soft, spacious illustrations and lyric metaphors--from the more familiar "I love you as deep as the sea" to the original "I love you as bright as the sun."

• On the Night You Were Born
  • I Love You Through and Through
  • Goodnight, Goodnight, Construction Site
  • The Going to Bed Book
  • Snuggle Puppy! (Boynton on Board)
  • Dr. Seuss's ABC: An Amazing Alphabet Book!
  • Dinosaur Dance!