Start by marking “Gears of Revolution (Mysteries of Cove, #2)” as Want to Read:
Gears of Revolution (Mysteries of Cove, #2)

Gears of Revolution

(Mysteries of Cove #2)

After finding a compass and clues left by Kallista’s father, Leo Babbage, Trenton and Kallista head west aboard their homemade mechanical dragon to search for the missing inventor. The two teenagers hope to find answers about their mountain city of Cove, but instead, they find only a blackened forest, ruined buildings, and a small underground city.

Almost immediately, Tren
Published September 20th 2016 by Shadow Mountain

To ask other readers questions about Gears of Revolution, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gears of Revolution

Wendi Wanders
May 29, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: juvenile-fiction
Fun, solid read, nice for free reading. Mechanical bits are over my head. Political parts rather pointed. Characters and plot interesting, quest is questy, dialogue often quotable.
Give yourself permission to fail, but also give yourself permission to blow some things up in the process.
Sheila
Sep 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Gears of Revolution, book two in the Mysteries of Cove Series, is now out. The first book was great in that it was inventive with new ideas not seen in other Middle Grade books. A Steampunk/Middle Grade Fantasy I really loved, and how it fostered the idea of finding and developing the things you are good at and being creative.

Book two picks up right where book one ended. Honestly, please read the first book before you start book two. So much happens in the first book where you see not only even
Loralee
Mar 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was a fantastic continuation of Trenton and Kallista's adventure that began with the first book, Fires of Invention. Having read other books by J. Scott Savage before, I was really looking forward to this one before I began. And he doesn't disappoint! The action begins right off, pulling me into the story, and I loved the twists and turns the story took. I liked how some characters tricked me into thinking something about them when something else was true. I think my favorite character in t ...more
Amber
Jun 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book, although I did find myself often getting frustrated that for every time the kids seemed to make any progress they’d get pushed back farther. Every hope would get dashed. I also found myself wanting to scream or cry off and on through this book. Over all though, it was very riveting, and kept me on the edge of my seat, and I had to continue to find out what would happen next.
Steve
Sep 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great follow up to book 1! While there are predictable moments in this book that rival any summer blockbuster movies, I still enjoyed it very much. Book 3 here I come, hopefully the book concludes with some steampunk cacophony!
A. Sowards
I read this with my twins, and I think we liked it even more than the first one. This is a really fun series, and book two ups the stakes and adds in some fun characters. 4.5 stars.
Brenda
Sep 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Originally posted at Log Cabin Library

To really do this review justice, I need to back track and give a bit of information from the first book. Trenton is this kid who lives in Cove, a city that for about 150 years was essentially hiding inside of a mountain. Every part of life at Cove was controlled and the creating or making of new things was strictly forbidden. Now for Trenton this was near to impossible, he was just wired to ask “what if?” By the end of the book, Trenton had teamed up with
Alan
Dec 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: all-fiction
Good second novel in the series. Character growth occurs, and plot points are resolved.
Jackson Porter
Apr 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I received the wonderful opportunity to read an early draft of this novel as I did the first one.

There is a term out there: "the second book curse". It is usually attached to the second book in a trilogy. I've read lots of trilogies, and I'll be honest, the second book is usually my least favorite. Granted, it's a tough book to write. It has to act as a follow-up to a book that convinced multiple people to pour thousands of dollars into it, and it also has to act as a lead-up to a conclusion th
Ms. Yingling
Jul 19, 2016 rated it liked it
E ARC from Edelweiss Above the Treeline

Trenton and Kallista are back after their adventures in Fires of Invention, and are traveling with Ladon the mechanical dragon in search of Kallista's father. They are shot down over Seattle, where they find a civilization that has managed to survive by worshipping the dragons, especially the emerald one that they have killed. This causes some problems on many fronts, but Leo Babbage has been to this community and worked with the dimber damber, Cochrane, wh
Shauna
Apr 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
What a FUN book!
Dragons, inventions, secret clues, revolution.
A great read for any age making it a perfect book to read together as a family--
I am loving this Steam Punk genre!
Tressa (Wishful Endings)
Seriously love this series!
Graham Bradley
Oct 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This deserves a good and detailed review, for now I salute Mr. Savage and I'm hungry for more. Superbly well done.
Amanda Thompson
4/5 stars
PG for some fantasy violence
Recommend for anyone who likes steampunk or dragons or steampunk dragons

[There will be SPOILERS of the events from the first book, [book:Fires of Invention|25205326].]

When last we left Cove, super-mechanics Trenton Coleman and Kallista Babbage showed their underground civilization that the outside world wasn't a poisonous death trap of technological pollution. They proved they had been lied to for years. They also proved that inventing wasn't a sin and that m
Michael Schwartz
Aug 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
While the first book in the series focused on the mystery of the city's founding, the second took our hero's on a journey into the outside world where they discover (no pun intended) that the dragons aren't the only things they must worry about.

A few weeks after killing the green dragon and restoring creativity to the city, Trenton and Kallista have ventured out into the world to find Kallista's father. After managing to avoid the dragons that infest the world, they follow some recent clues to
Cathy
Aug 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really took my sweet time getting to this one, it came out last year! The third one is about to come out, so I knew I had to get this one read so I was ready for it and I'm really glad I did!

It seems like I've read a lot of middle grade fiction lately, and I've really been enjoying it. It seems like this genre is really growing and expanding right now and I LOVE that! I think if you can get a middle grade boy or girl sucked into reading a great new series, they'll be lifelong readers. And thi
Karissa
Feb 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was the 2nd book in the Mysteries of Cove series and was a decent continuation of the series. I loved getting to venture outside Discovery and read about real dragons! This book is packed with adventure and I am curious as to how things will tie up in the next book.

Trenton and Kallista continue to struggle a bit with their friendship throughout; they are both loners by nature and Kallista is increasingly obsessed with finding her father.

Trenton and Kallista ended up venturing into another t
Kevin R.
Mar 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
I couldn't put the book down for the second half. I enjoyed going back into this steampunk world and trying to solve the mystery alongside Trenton and Kallista. Like most of my reviews on fiction books, I have a hard time saying a lot because I don't want to give anything away.

The story is engaging and at times suspenseful. The reader is teased with enough information to begin to make a guess at what is happening in the big picture, but is also given enough red herrings to not make it too easy t
Robyn
Aug 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: youth, ya-speculative
Continues on with Trenton and Kallista out in the world searching for her father. They find clues leading them to Seattle and are captured by the community living there. This new place is divided into two groups; The Order, who worship the dragons and the Whipjacks who steal and plot and create. They don't know who to trust and are soon divided Kallista looking for her father who was there and left clues behind and Trenton designing and building secret weapons to fight the dragons.
So many plot
Garret Shields
Aug 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
What a fun and exciting and surprising experience this series has been! Often, the sequels in a trilogy can be stale or repetitive or too predictable to be engaging. This one, though, kept me going from the start. While some parts were frustrating, and there are a few instances where it seems like individuals were acting out of character, the twists and turns were fun and surprising. Following Trenton and Kallista as they make new friends, fight dragons and discover new things has been great!
Teresa Bateman
Sep 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
In this, the second book of the "Mysteries of Cove" series, young Trenton and Kallista set off looking for Kallista's missing inventor father. In the remnants of the city of Seattle they find both work and mystery. Who can they trust? Dragon worshippers are problematic, but the Whipjacks may not be all that they seem. The last thing they want is to put their own city of Discovery in danger. There are inventions, dangers, dragons, and discoveries as this book sets up for the sequel.
Gena Lott
Jul 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Savage is becoming one of my favorite children's fantasy writers. Engaging, well-developed plot lines and characters you want to love or hate make for a wonderful story! This is a great second book in the Cove series which continues to build on the suspense of the first.
Read aloud for 3rd-7th grades.
4th grade and older reading.
Tiffiny
Oct 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
I was reading this to my son last year and we both got bored with it about halfway through. But I picked it up myself about a week ago and it definitely got better. I see the next book in the series is available now and I'm excited to read it!
Peggy
Jan 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017, mg
So much action and conflict and fascinating machines and twists and new characters and new places and did I mention conflict? This sequel to an exciting first book really held its own and made the series even more fantastic and made the characters even more relatable and interesting.
Délice
Apr 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely enjoyed is frolicking rollercoaster of a story. I cannot wait to read the third and final installment!
Thomas C.Curtis
Nov 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
One thing that I love about this author is his use of Character Development to further the plot. This book was well-written and enjoyable. I highly recommend. ...
Gayle
Jan 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A great second book in this series! My kids love this series as well -- such a fun middle grade story. Dragons and machinery and air ships and some great characters as well!
No, David! No!
Sep 09, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: steampunk, dystopian
I enjoyed it. I thought this one was a little more original that the first book. Still waiting to see how it will all shake out.
Tessa
Jul 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
One of the best books ever! Keeps me on the edge of my seat. I never know what will happen next.
Kaden
Mar 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Impossible Race (Cragbridge Hall, #3)
  • The Eternity Elixir (Potion Masters, #1)
  • Strike of the Sweepers (Janitors, #4)
  • Sword in the Stacks (The Ninja Librarians #2)
  • Island of Doom (The Hunchback Assignments, #4)
  • Of Enemies and Endings (The Ever Afters #4)
  • The Crystal Bridge (The Lost Shards, #1)
  • The Third Coin
  • The Dream Keeper (Dream Keeper Chronicles, #1)
  • Dragon Shield (Dragon Shield, #1)
  • Over the Underworld (The Unbelievable FIB, #2)
  • Pingo and the Playground Bully
  • Randoms (Randoms, #1)
  • Geth and the Deception of Dreams (Beyond Foo, #2)
  • Love's Shadow (Brothers Maledetti #2)
  • The Time Hunters and the Spear of Fate (Time Hunters, #3)
  • Always Neverland
J. Scott Savage is the author of the Farworld series, the Case File 13 series, and the Mysteries of Cove series. He grew up in Northern California and now lives in Utah with his wife and four children.

Scott has held too many jobs to count, including: a mall Santa, French chef, CEO of a dot com, plumber, radio station talk show host, and the guy who sits in the little photo developing booth. He has

Mysteries of Cove (3 books)
  • Fires of Invention (Mysteries of Cove, #1)
  • Embers of Destruction (Mysteries of Cove, #3)