Start by marking “Blissful Basil: Over 100 Plant-Powered Recipes to Unearth Vibrancy, Health, and Happiness” as Want to Read:

Experience the happiest side of life through beautiful, nourishing foods.

Ashley Melillo believes in enjoying a wide array of wholesome foods in order to thrive—physically, mentally, and emotionally. For her blog, Blissful Basil, she finds innovative ways to use plants for fun, flavorful dishes that keep her readers coming back. Her gorgeous debut cookbook brings brand-new
Published December 20th 2016 by BenBella Books

To ask other readers questions about Blissful Basil, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blissful Basil

Start your review of Blissful Basil: Over 100 Plant-Powered Recipes to Unearth Vibrancy, Health, and Happiness
Hannah
Nov 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc, non-fiction
I absolutely adore this book. I spent the last weekend trying at least two recipes per day and every single one of them was brilliant. I especially loved the vegan chili, the mushroom-cilantro-pesto, and the vegan ice cream (oh my god, that ice cream was to die for! Plus, given that you don't even have to add sugar, even my health-conscious partner was in love with it).

I like that the recipes are often nut-based rather than tofu-based. While I do enjoy tofu, sometimes it is nice to have alternat
Deborah
Dec 17, 2016 rated it really liked it

This book was so much more than I expected and it proved to be an interesting and inspirational read.
It started with the very frank and personal introduction which honestly sold me on this book completely.
It then moved onto the Pantry Roots which was the most informative and valuable part of the book (for me anyway) here we're given Ashley's pantry staples, the items she uses and why, what they're used for and in some cases how they taste.
For example:

- Black Rice | Black rice has a rich, nutty f
David
Dec 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Every recipe I've tried has been incredible with so much flavor. This is my new favorite cookbook. :)
roxi Net
Nov 01, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: roxiown, roxicook
It’s fantastic when cookbooks are visually beautiful and Blissful Basil is no exception. The layout, the photos, and the breakout of the table of contents are all great. I’m not a vegetarian/vegan by any means (maybe financially so?) but the recipes are fantastic. It was also really nice to read such a personal introduction by the author who experience issues of anxiety and encourages exercise and making good choices to combat the issue – becoming vegan helped her on so many levels (which makes ...more
Mollie
Feb 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The author hosts a popular recipe-based vegetarian food blog and maintains that easy conversational tone throughout this book. She clearly wants her readers to be comfortable cooking their way through the recipes. She suggests brands and where to find them. Or how to substitute. And where the glitches might pop up and how to avoid them.

The recipes themselves are intriguing. Why would I languish in bed if I could easily whip up Blueberry Breakfast Ice Cream? Or munch on Cherry Almond Butter Plus
Suzanne
Jan 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I received a copy of Blissful Basil for an honest review.

Ashley Melillo did an excellent job with this book. Ms. Melillo has a food blog called Blissful Basil. She also has a certificate in Plant-Based Nutrition.

Blissful Basil is filled with healthy and nutritious plant based recipes. My favorite chapter would be soups and salads. Quinoa Confetti Salad is one of my favorites. Snacks and Appetizers has recipes for crackers, cookies, focaccia bread, nachos...

Blissful Basil is my new favorite co
Kat
Nov 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Not a vegan but yummy smoothies and power bowls yotally won me over (along with the beautiful images). Also, while all of her recipes are for making everything from scratch, more time sensitive cooks can get some things (i.e. pico, guac, cauliflower rice) premade from the store. Really enjoyed it!
Lynne
Mar 05, 2017 rated it it was ok
I received a copy of this book for free from Netgalley, in exchange for an honest review.

This vegan cookbook has a great key to help readers identify recipes that are also gluten, nut or soya free, which I found really helpful. It is also full of lots of beautiful pictures of the food presented in the recipes.

However, I found the recipes themselves rather over complicated and many look very time consuming. In the end I only found 2-3 recipes that I thought I would ever make and they wouldn't be
Leyla Johnson
Feb 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
My daughter has a similar story to her journey with gluten intolerance, this book is lovely and easy to use. A bit too much use of oats, but there are some very taste recipes to suit every taste and wants. Good photos and very well explained.
(I know that the author has a blog going by the name of blissful basil but the title of the book really misses the mark. I have a daughter who is gluten intolerant and I would not have picked up this book in store to give to her. I am afraid I would not have
Critterbee❇
Nov 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbook, net-g, f
Very exciting recipes with consistently strong flavors and healthy wholesome ingredients. I love the way that the author thinks outside the box, while maintaining a high level of quality, both nutritionally and taste-wise..

The great variety of surprising recipes include Carrot Cake Smoothie, Granola Bark, Cauliflower Tater Tots, and Portobello Pizzettes.

The chapter titled Power Bowls is a great section of healthy, hearty, flavorful bowls that do not seem to difficult to make. The processes used
Wendy
Feb 07, 2017 rated it liked it
Beautifully photographed. Wonderful vegetarian recipes if you have the time for more complex details.
Diane
Feb 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2017
This book was so much more than I expected. Everything is laid out in a logical format with photos that make you drool. I can't wait to try these recipes! I want to just start at the beginning and work my way through the book.
Polly Krize
Dec 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
I received an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.

This book struck me as both bright and inspirational. Ms. Melillo gives us many enriching and helpful ideas for eating plant-based and manages to make them so appetizing. The mushroom-cilantro pesto is so good, I will be making it over and over. Recommended.
Betsy
Jan 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
Every recipe has a beautiful color photograph and options to customize--gluten free, oil free, sugar alternatives, etc. I love that! I stopped keeping count of the recipes I wanted to make because it ended up being most of them. This will sit happily on your shelf between Angela Liddon and Laura Miller.

Thanks to BenBella books and Goodreads for this lovely giveaway!
Joanna Casale
Jan 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a beautiful cookbook! All of the recipes are vegan however anyone (even meat-eaters) will enjoy these delicious recipes! After seeing all of the stunning photography, I'm inspired to get in the kitchen and start making one of Ashley's dishes!

I received this book free from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
Cat
Dec 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
More great vegetable recipes! I am sure gardeners, and vegetarians, will enjoy this recipe book! I can't wait until next growing season to try some of these dishes!
Susie
Dec 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Love all the photos that accompany the recipes. Looking forward to trying so many of these!
Christeleny Frangos
Jan 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is everything you could want in a cookbook! Stunning images, a perfect layout and a truly inspiring author who is beautiful both inside and out. Get it for everyone you know.
Alexandra [[The Hungry Book Dragon]]
Absolutely amazing! Definitely got the bug when it comes to vegan food now.

I received this book as an ARC from NetGalley in exchange for my honest review.
Mariah Woodson
Apr 28, 2017
Michelle Fasching
Feb 06, 2019
Karla
rated it did not like it
Apr 21, 2018
Alyson Marie Tarr
May 13, 2020
« previous 1 3 next »
Vegan Cooking & C...: Blissful Basil 4 26 May 19, 2017 10:10AM

• Chloe's Vegan Italian Kitchen: 150 Pizzas, Pastas, Pestos, Risottos, & Lots of Creamy Italian Classics
  • 100 Things Celtics Fans Should Know  Do Before They Die
  • I Hate Everyone, Except You
  • The Magic of Friendship Snow
  • The Call of the Wild
  • Nigella Express: Good Food, Fast
  • Jamie's Food Revolution: Rediscover How to Cook Simple, Delicious, Affordable Meals
  • You Are a Badass at Making Money: Master the Mindset of Wealth
  • She's Come Undone
  • Oh She Glows Every Day: Simply Satisfying Plant-Based Recipes to Keep You Glowing from the Inside Out
  • The Italian House
  • The Love and Lemons Cookbook: An Apple-to-Zucchini Celebration of Impromptu Cooking
  • A Million Little Pieces
  • Fraiche Food, Full Hearts: A Collection of Recipes for Every Day and Casual Celebrations

News & Interviews