Start by marking “Sugar” as Want to Read:
Sugar

Sugar

After realizing her coworkers at L’Ombre, a high-profile restaurant in NYC, will never appreciate or respect her, Charlie Garrett allows her ex-boyfriend, Avery Michaels, to convince her to work for him as executive pastry chef at his new Seattle hotspot, Thrill. She’ll have her own kitchen, her own staff—everything she ever wanted professionally.

When she arrives at Thrill
Published February 7th 2017 by Skyhorse

Start your review of Sugar
Purple Country Girl (Sandy)
I won a copy of Sugar by Kimberly Stuart in a Goodreads Giveaway.

Sugar is a short, sweet romance and, after reading some rather grim books lately, it’s a breath of fresh air. Stuart’s easy writing style is lovely, everything flows naturally. She has created a well-written and fleshed out group of relatable characters. And, there’s lots of food!

After years of hard work and determination, Charlie Garret has made it to assistant pastry chef at an upscale restaurant in New York City. She loves her w
Dash fan
Mar 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
Sugar is a charming book about, hard work, determination, friendship, budding romance and a sprinkle of humour to sweeten it up. Not to mention all the scrumptious food.

Charlie is a creative and innovative pastry chef, who is stuck in rutt waiting for her dream promotion.
Eventually she has had enough and quits her job.

Unbeknown to her the next exciting opportunity is right around the corner, in fact with Avery her ex-boyfriend.
She agrees to become he's executive pastry chef.
Unbeknown to Charli
Λίνα Θωμάρεη
Charlie is an assistant pastry chef at a restaurant in New York. For ten years does patience and endure the particularities of pastry chef at least until he retired ... something he never does.
By the time an old-ex boyfriend proposed position of pastry chef at his restaurant. In Seattle. Determined not to let the work which has struggled for a decade decides to refuse his offer.
But the behavior of the Chef of Restaurant that works day to day escapes and is forced to give up after seeing that thi
Robin
Dec 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: food-fiction

If you have an appetite for a sweet romance that involves delectable dessert descriptions (no recipes, though, at least not in the advance copy), an appealing Seattle setting, and two engaging characters (although at first the main character was a little irritating), this should take care of your craving.

Another reviewer mentioned this would appeal to readers of Louise Miller's CITY BAKER'S GUIDE TO COUNTRY LIVING, and I agree, and would also include Elin Hilderbrand's THE BLUE BISTRO,
Aoife
Mar 03, 2017 rated it it was ok
I received a free digital copy from the author/publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

Charlie Garett dreams of running her own kitchen as a pastry chef but is stuck under the control of a crazy top chef in a high class New York restaurant. When her ex-boyfriend offers her her dream job, Charlie quits New York for Seattle but soon discovers there's a catch - Avery wants her to star in a reality TV show with him, showing the behind the scenes work of a top kitchen. As Charlie's
Courtney Clark
Jan 27, 2017 rated it it was ok
*did not finish*
I made it 20% through before I stopped reading.

The cover and storyline first drew me to this novel, along with knowing Kimberly Stuart has written in the Christian fiction genre. Sugar, however, is secular fiction with proof in chapter 1 with an expletive and some innuendo. The plot and characters were likable and moving along. I could have handled the few mild profanities (think PG13 if this were a movie), but I was uncomfortable with the unnecessary crude remarks/narrative tho
Melanie
Mar 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, netgalley
4.5 Stars!

Sugar initially drew my interest because of the delicious looking dessert on the cover and ended up being a charming story about a woman who questions what she wants in life and sets about getting it.

Charlie Garrett works as an assistant pastry chef at a high-profile restaurant in New York. After realizing the people she works for will never appreciate her, she moves across the country to Seattle to become head pastry chef at her ex-boyfriend's restaurant. After she starts though, she
Heather Gudenkauf
Dec 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! Curl up with your favorite dessert and indulge in this novel filled with bittersweet twists and turns life has to offer.
Mrs. Y
Apr 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Friends, romance addicts, foodie fans, and reality TV lovers, rejoice! For upon a shelf of Amazon lies a book with ties to all things fabulous. Today we are going to review a book that has a bit of everything in it, mixed in a beautiful custard of storytelling that is baked to the peak perfection and presented beautifully because this book is so good, and it will make your heart sing. So gather up your mixing bowl, whip your eggs just right, and please do not put bacon in the cupcakes. It’s time ...more
Michelegg
Feb 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
There is not much better in life than a book that revolves around food and romance and this book had those two things in spades so you can bet that I devoured every page, pun intended.

Charlie was so much fun to read about. I loved her dilemmas in the kitchen and out. And of course I loved all of the descriptions of the food she was creating. After reading about life in a restaurant kitchen over the years, I realize I could never hack that pace and pressure but it sure was fun to read about Char
Obsidian
Feb 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Going to go with four stars since I did enjoy a lot about this book. I just wish the author had surprised us with an ending that had the main character (Charlie) realize that if she is going to date someone, that they had to not only trust her, but understand her job. I had some dissatisfaction with that plot-line as well as the whole t.v. thing. It was weirdly done at the end and I don't know how to feel about it.

"Sugar" focuses on Charlie Garrett, a chef at one of the hottest restaurants in N
Kara-karina
Jan 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
I always enjoy books where cooking is a part of passion or profession, and Sugar did not disappoint in that regard.

Charlie Garrett is an extremely organised, well put together and driven workaholic. She's been working very hard in a prestigious restaurant in New York on a promise that she will become the head pastry chef when her current boss retires. Instead, she is showered with constant psychological abuse while her boss takes credit for her work, puts her down and dangles the carrot of his p
Michelle
Feb 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
I received a copy of this book via NetGalley.

I am so glad I've finished reading this book. I've just wanted to sit and eat sweet stuff and drink coffee for the 3 days it's taken me to read. That's what this book does to you with all the mouthwatering descriptions of food.

It is a lovely story about an extremely talented pastry chef with high ambitions of running her own kitchen. There is romance but it doesn't take over the story and it is refreshing in that it isn't constantly about sex as so
Nicole R
Sep 14, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: did-not-finish
Life is too short to keep reading this book. It is not horrible, it is just not good. It is bland, predictable, and the premise is not well integrated. I don't particularly like the characters. Wait, that's not fair, I don't know enough about the characters to not like them, because they lack any kind of depth. Then, when the author attempts to give them depth it is too late and too abrupt.

I would almost give it two stars based solely on the fact that I can see other people enjoying it, but it h
Natalie
Feb 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
Predictable but sweet :)
Rebecca Morales
Jun 20, 2017 rated it liked it
Charlie is an overworked under appreciated pastry chef in New York. When her ex calls her out of the blue to become the head pastry chef of his new restaurant in Seattle, she is shocked.

OMG everything in this book sounded delicious.

This book described so many wonderful desserts and savory dishes. Every new meal was absolutely mouth watering.

I wish the rest of the book was just as great, unfortunately it wasn't. This was a pretty well paced story and well written story. I wasn't a big fan of t
Helen Dunn
Aug 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
How could I turn down a book about a pastry chef, reality TV, and romance? There's nothing here that is not entirely predictable but I still liked it.

This is 4 stars graded among books of it's type and not all books in the world. For me, this one delivered just what a I want a fluffy romance to deliver. I picked it up on a kindle sale and when none of the books on my more literary shelf were grabbing me, I opened this one and it drew me right in.

Also, I would really love a reality TV show abou
Alicia Smock
Jul 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
As children, we dream of what we will be when we grow up. As adults, we dream of finding that career that not only supports our desired lifestyle, but one that we also enjoy. It is never easy to obtain that dream job and, even if one succeeds in acquiring it, it takes a lot of hard work to make one’s way up the corporate ladder. But is working hard truly that important? We only have one life on this planet, yet all we do seem to do is work. Is claiming the top rung of that ladder the most import ...more
Stephanie
May 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
I loved this story! It was fun and witty and completely exceeded my expectations.
Sugar is a sweet romance that follows Charlie, a perfectionist pastry chef and her quandaries navigating the high pressure kitchens of New York and Seattle. The real fun begins when her ex-boyfriend makes her a proposal she can't refuse and lures her in with an offer to be head pastry chef at his new restaurant, Thrill.

Overall, the story was engaging and actually pretty funny. I found myself laughing out loud a few
Victoria
May 24, 2017 rated it liked it
I won Sugar in the Goodreads giveaway, which I was really excited about as the blurb and good reviews made me eager to check out this new to me author. I enjoyed the read, but didn't love it as much as I hoped. I felt the novel lacked chemistry and spark between the main couple, which was really unfortunate - I really thought there could've been more there. The food and kitchen detail were neat, but I didn't care for reality TV angle. Other than that, it was a quick read, not as fun as some revi ...more
Gina
Dec 30, 2018 rated it liked it
Overall, 3.5 stars. I kept putting this book down and picking it up without getting drawn in, until tonight. I LOATHED Avery and Vic and especially Margot but I had a tough time relating to Charlie too until closer to the end. I used to be her kind of ambitious a long time ago and I never want to be that person again, which is probably why I couldn't connect with her. I felt to my core that she didn't belong in that world, I wanted her with Kai, appreciating all the things to love about Seattle. ...more
Cat
Feb 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
If you like those reality tv shows about food prep and cooking, this will be one fun, and romantic, read! I'd guess it would be a good summer read myself. I found it a little lite for my winter reading, but it was enjoyable with fun characters in an interesting setting!
I received a Kindle from Netgalley in exchange for a fair review.
Diana
Mar 02, 2017 rated it it was ok
I received this book as a First Reads giveaway from Skyhorse Publishing.

As an avid baker and lover of ambitious female protagonists, I had high hopes for this story about a high-powered pastry chef and what I assumed would be her struggles to balance success in a commercial kitchen and the lure of culinary fame with her personal life. I did not expect something revelatory or intensely surprising, just a romantic story with relatable, likeable characters and wonderful dessert.

Alas, despite what I
Megan
May 13, 2019 rated it it was ok
predicable but cute? Could be a hallmark movie, if you’re into that sorta thing
Joanna
Sep 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Honestly delightful and it kept me up way past my bedtime.
Crystal
Jan 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Quick read. I enjoyed this story. Great start and happy ending. A good good book for an in between them deeper books I tend to read.
Alexis
I gave this till 40%. Not feeling the romance at all.
Andrea Wright
Sep 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Short and sweet and just what I needed. I did get a bit homesick for Seattle while reading this and had to put it down, otherwise I probably would have read the entire thing yesterday. This is the first food book I have read from the dessert part of the kitchen.
C.J. Butcher
Feb 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing

When she arrives at Thrill, however, she realizes that Avery wanted more than a pastry chef for his restaurant—he wanted a costar for the reality show
Liz Fenton
Feb 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic book-sweet and savory and hits all the right notes!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Play Book Tag: Sugar by Kimberly Stuart -- DNF 5 23 Sep 15, 2017 09:24AM

• A Proposal They Can't Refuse (Vega Family Love Stories, #1)
  • Must Love Books
  • The Decoy Girlfriend
  • Don't Hex with Texas (Enchanted, Inc., #4)
  • Damsel Under Stress (Enchanted, Inc., #3)
  • A Song of Secrets (Hana Trio, #1)
  • For Butter or Worse
  • Eighty Days to Elsewhere (ExLibris Adventure #1)
  • Happy Endings
  • Headliners (London Celebrities, #5)
  • We Just Clicked
  • The Man Ban
  • A Taste of Sage
  • All Stirred Up
  • RomeAntically Challenged (When in Rome, #1)
  • Take the Lead (Dance Off, #1)
  • Enchanted, Inc. (Enchanted, Inc., #1)
  • Once Upon Stilettos (Enchanted, Inc., #2)
Kimberly Stuart wants you to know that authors write their own bios and are hardly reliable sources, particularly if they are writers of fiction. Nevertheless, there are a few facts that stand out:

1. Stuart loves a good story, both written and lived.

2. Stuart loves imported chocolate and her children, though the order of her affections sometimes gets muddled.

3. Stuart writes comedic women's ficti

Related Articles

Some people love books. Some people fall in love. And some people love books about falling in love. Every month our team sorts through the new...
“I pushed my fork through the top layer of creamy frosting, then all three layers of the cake. Keeping my eyes down, I put the fork to my mouth. He'd used good chocolate, I knew, and after a moment, I picked up a note of coffee, which only intensified the flavor of the chocolate. The frosting was decadent and smooth, but not cloying. In fact, the entire bite struck the precise balance of sass and sweet.” 1 likes
“For being so early in the season, the tables on either side of the street were heavily laden with produce. I could see English peas, asparagus, arugula, several varieties of chard, kale, rhubarb, radishes... My mouth tingled as I walked slowly from booth to booth, drinking in the knowledge that the food I was checking out had not been trucked over the Jersey Turnpike or from a far-flung spot upstate, but from somewhere nearby, where people still felt dirt in their hands and not just in their nostrils after a day of walking in the city.
I paused at the end of a block, and my gaze zeroed in on a mountain of gorgeous strawberries a few stands down. Cutting in and out of the throng, I reached the stand and stood under a banner that read FORSYTHIA FARMS. I crouched to be eye level with the berries, narrowing my eyes at their color, shape, and size. The red was deep, but still bright. Shape: irregular, as they should be, and still shooting delightful stems that poked out the tops like tiny berets. The berries weren't too small, and best of all, not too large. No Costco mutants, I was pleased to note.”
0 likes