Start by marking “My Two Souths: Blending the Flavors of India into a Southern Kitchen” as Want to Read:
My Two Souths: Blending the Flavors of India into a Southern Kitchen

My Two Souths: Blending the Flavors of India into a Southern Kitchen

~i~>
From award-winning chef and restaurateur Asha Gomez comes this collection of recipes that fuse together the "Two Souths" that are near and dear to her heart: the beloved cuisine of Southern India, and the downhome tastes of the American South.

My Two Souths takes you on a culinary journey with Chef Asha Gomez, from her small village in the Kerala region of south
Published October 11th 2016 by Running Press Adult

To ask other readers questions about My Two Souths, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Two Souths

Start your review of My Two Souths: Blending the Flavors of India into a Southern Kitchen
Karen Witzler
Jan 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
Kerala meets Atlanta. Will purchase for my kitchen collection.
Philip Mceldowney
Dec 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
What an innovative book - South India and South US (Cajun, Louisiana) - with totally new, inventive recipes in and upcoming? trendy style, like no one else. Tried the Sunday stew beef on last Saturday night - the one with stock and coconut milk, spices, etc - and it was marvelous - even more marvelous on Monday night. Added the mango raita (leaving out the pineapple) to accompany it - and it was sort of funky the first night, but Monday night all had got smoothly and nicely blended - delicious - ...more
Meredith
Apr 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
OMG! I practially flagged every recipe. It looks AMAZING! AND she has THREE restaurants in ATLANTA! Yes, please!!
Yaaresse
There are some interesting ideas and flavor combinations, but nothing that made me want to run to the kitchen. Mostly I was put off by the bloggy feeling of the writing.

I came for recipes, not to read about someone's religion, kid, dog, morning routine, etc. Not liking the current "memoir and therapy disguised as cookbook" trend. If it doesn't have to do directly with the dish, food, or cooking techniques, save it for the blog.
Theresa Hebler
Oct 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
As a southerner that is well-versed in indian flavors, this book is fantastic. The mint masala roasted chicken with potato and fennel is one of our family favs. I do not recommend this book for the novice cook.
Sally
Dec 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Such a wonderful book and cookbook! I bought one for a gift and one for myself and am now going to give both away to foodie relatives. Asha Gomez is an important part of Atlanta and the Atlanta food scene. In this book she share her recipes from her two souths, cooking expertise and her journey to a joyful work/life balance. This first made for a warmly satisfying Saturday morning on a cold Georgia day. I'm looking forward to future trips to Asha Gomez's restaurants and trying these recipes at h ...more
Jo
Apr 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
A beautiful book that really does blend the American south with southern India. Lots of great photos and explanations. I really enjoyed the spice section as she described each in detail including the flavor profiles.
Cristy
Mar 05, 2017 rated it it was ok
Found myself distracted by the repeated tangents discussing her faith. I believe this was in an effort to distinguish herself from the other religious groups in her homeland. Ultimately the recipes don't seem like ones I'd jump to cook in my kitchen. A pity but this one rang a bit hollow. ...more
Beka
Aug 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
Such a wonderful book!! I love all the gorgeous photos, the yummy sounding recipes, and the sweet stories.
Alissa
Dec 29, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: cook-books
Lots of mouthwatering recipes, unfortunately requiring a much more adventurous palate than that possessed by my people :)
Ella
Apr 14, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nothing hit my heart or inspired me to cook
Sheila Polstein
Dec 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What a wonderful intoxicating cookbook!
The story comes alive as the author weaves her history from the past to the future❤️
Erika
May 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
bought this after seeing her fried chicken on Dave Chang's Netflix show. lots of very intriguing recipes here melding southern cooking with the flavors of India ...more
Dorothy
Jan 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful marriage of southern and Indian cuisines.
Megan
May 07, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: cookin-books
I was so ready to love this book, because I was so into the idea of it, but none of the recipes did anything for me*. Everything I made from it was either an unequivocal failure (see: the sickly sweet coconut macaroons that spread into huge puddles that nearly obscured the entire baking sheet) or just meh (see: the weeknight fancy chicken and rice, which somehow had almost no flavor at all). I was so looking forward to adding some Indian(ish) recipes to my repertoire - so disappointed that none ...more
Linnea K.  Archibald
Jan 01, 2022 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned
One of my favorite restaurants from our last trip to Nashville was Chauhan Ale and Masala House, so when I saw this book combining southern Indian and Southern comfort food on sale, I had to pick it up. Since fall (especially here in New England) is basically made for comfort food, I find myself turning to this book’s contents more as the season changes. These recipes tend to be slower, requiring more focused time to prepare, which makes them perfect for a cool rainy autumn day.
Mary O'Brien
Jan 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
My God, I actually sat and read a cookbook straight through as if it were a novel. I don't think I've done that since... well, I've only ever done that twice. Once with Alton Brown's "Everydaycook" and again with Rachel Khoo's "The Little Paris Kitchen".
"My Two Souths" captivated me in a very similar way, and I'm now inspired by the absolute fascination of blending two very soulful and richly immersive food styles into her dishes. Holy tomato, there's so much I want to make...
Dani
Two cuisines with which I have only minimal familiarity... This book was a bit beyond my ken, but very intriguing! For me, it looked like not only good food, but good food for thought! I love reading through a quality cookbook, and this book was no exception. I feel like I learned a lot about ingredients and recipe designs new to me.
Donna Hutt Stapfer Bell
As good as promised.

Here is a true resource, a treasure. This takes familiar foods and spins them right around into something more, less and wonderful. Transformative. Can't wait to try out everything.
Hadiqa
Jul 19, 2021 rated it liked it
Some recipes were indeed interesting but a lot of them were not surprising since I'm aware of a lot of Indian cuisines due to my husband's background. I liked a few of the fish's recipes and cold beverages but besides all that it was OK. ...more
Ashani
Dec 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A celebration of two bold and beautiful cuisines (South Indian;Goan and Indian cuisine and Southern cuisine of USA)comes together in this beautiful book !
Shoshana
Nov 17, 2021 rated it really liked it
I want to try so many of the recipes in this beautiful book!!!
Meredith
Nov 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookery
One of the few true fusions I've seen recently. I really admire her ability to take a south Indian dish and put an American South spin on it, and also conversely take American Southern dish and put a south India spin on it. Inspirational, original. Disappointed there aren't pictures for every dish, and some of the pictures aren't labeled or put adjacent to the recipe, so a little detective work was needed while browsing. ...more
Huma Rashid
Aug 10, 2020
Lauren
Nov 10, 2021
Mike
rated it did not like it
May 15, 2021
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Jubilee: Recipes from Two Centuries of African American Cooking
  • Yes, Chef
  • 32 Yolks: From My Mother's Table to Working the Line
  • The Apprentice: My Life in the Kitchen
  • Jacques Pépin Quick & Simple
  • What If? 2: Additional Serious Scientific Answers to Absurd Hypothetical Questions (What If?, #2)
  • Paddle Your Own Canoe: One Man's Fundamentals for Delicious Living
  • Everyday Engineering: Understanding the Marvels of Daily Life (The Great Courses)
  • Milk Street: Cookish: Throw It Together: Big Flavors. Simple Techniques. 200 Ways to Reinvent Dinner.
  • Tacolicious: Festive Recipes for Tacos, Snacks, Cocktails, and More
  • Honor
  • The Food Lab: Better Home Cooking Through Science
  • Plenty More: Vibrant Vegetable Cooking from London's Ottolenghi
  • 24/6: Giving Up Screens One Day a Week to Get More Time, Creativity, and Connection
  • Pretty Things
  • Claridge's: The Cookbook
  • Lightning Strike (Cork O’Connor, #0)