Start by marking “From the Grave (Monster or Die, #1)” as Want to Read:
From the Grave (Monster or Die, #1)

From the Grave

(Monster or Die #1)

Monster is as monster does, but Frankenstein Frightface Gordon is totally the wrong shade of ghastly green—pale, baby blue, in fact—and he's more concerned with keeping his pants neat and tidy than scaring the pants off his victims. But when a new law is passed to rid Uggarland of misfits such as Frank, he must decide if he will become the monster his parents can be proud ...more
Published October 18th 2016 by Jolly Fish Press

To ask other readers questions about From the Grave, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about From the Grave

Lucy Banks
Jan 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
I received a copy of this book from Netgalley, in exchange for an honest review

I was initially attracted to this book because of the front cover (which looked right up my sons' street - they both love monsters!). Overall, we enjoyed the book, which had a fun concept, some amusing characters, and a nice message running through it, particularly about overcoming bullying.

Basically, it follows two characters - Frank (a Frankenstein monster) and Malcolm (a bullying troll), who find out that misfit mo
Corabel Shofner
Sep 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Misfit Monsters! I love this premise. And Cynthia Reeg fulfills the promise by creating a fully realized and original world of monsters. FROM THE GRAVE is fun and fast paced filled with characters you care about. Cynthia Reeg uses this whimsical world to tell a heartfelt story of not fitting in, of love and loss. What I enjoyed most was alternating the POV narration between Frank and what appears to be his enemy, Malcolm. I would definitely recommend this book and if given a chance I would read ...more
Wendy MacKnight
Aug 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016-reads
It's not easy being blue, especially when you're a Frankenstein monster, like Frank is, and you're supposed to be green. Thus is the unhappy reality of our misfit hero Frank, who lacks the desired qualities of a proper monster, failing, at the very least, to live up to Monster Rule #9: A monster's appearance should incite fear and significant revulsion to scare the socks off mere humans. His best friend Oliver, a mummy, is equally a misfit in Uggerworld; he can't seem to keep his wrappings on an ...more
Janet
Sep 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book is just perfect for the Halloween season! I was fascinated by the monster world that Cynthia Reeg created and was giggling throughout at all her clever puns and crazy life rules in the monster world. But what I especially appreciated is the theme that being who you are is enough.

Frank is a frankenstein who is blue instead of green. Who loves being neat and tidy with his hair perfectly combed. Because of that, he has been assigned to misfit classes with a mummy who doesn't like to stay
Jenn Bishop
Oct 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A pitch-perfect book for the Halloween season with just the right mix of humor and heart. Reeg's debut has fantastic world-building and characters who may not look like the other kids on your bus, nevertheless struggle with so many of the same emotions that the upper elementary set faces. Monster-loving kids will lap this up!
JenLovesBooks
Jan 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Bullying is at the center of this read and our characters struggle with being who they are, or becoming what others want them to be. Frankie's "arch enemy" in the form of Malcolm ends up having to spend time with him in a place called Exxillium. It is frightful to both of them, but may help them to grow, and possibly change Malcolm's outlook in life.

"'Monsters only believe in monstering,' I muttered. I wasn't good at that. At all. And if I didn't get good at pretending, it looked like Exxillium
S.A. Larsen
Sep 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The first thing that hit me with this writer's style is how fitting the vocabulary was to each character and to the world. Even the made up words were perfectly fitting! Fantastically plausible phrases and gestures that snuggled comfortably into the context of the story, adding depth, intrigue, and - what struck me most - emotion.

Frank ... (OMGosh! I kept wanting to call him Frankie-boy, or Frankfort, or...you'll understand after you read this book) ... is a wonderful middle grade character, a
Victoria Coe
Aug 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I received an advance reader copy of From the Grave (Monster or Die) by Cynthia Reeg in exchange for an honest review.
Frankenstein Frightface Gordon (Frank) isn’t cut out to be a real monster. He’s not the right color. He doesn’t want to scare humans. He couldn’t hurt a monster or a human or any creature at all. And he just can’t stand being covered in dirt or grime or bat poop—truth be told, he’d rather be neat! Frank just can’t seem to do anything right. Yes, he’s a total misfit, and when a l
Stephanie Bearce
Sep 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
Frankenstein Frightface Gordon doesn’t fit in with his monster classmates. No matter how hard he tries he just doesn’t really like scaring people, or being mean. And he really really hates being covered in bat poop or dirt of any kind. Secretly he dreams of being (shudder) clean! And then there’s his face… its blue. Baby blue. Not a nice shade of slime green. Just when Frank thinks life can’t get any worse, Principal Snaggle decides to scare Frank and the other school misfits with a field trip t ...more
Sarah Reida
Sep 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I received an advanced release copy of this book in exchange for my honest review, and here it is! I found Cynthia Reeg's story of misfit monsters highly amusing, and I'm sure the middle grade crowd will too - just in time for Halloween, FROM THE GRAVE features a number of monsters who simply aren't up to par. (Dragons are supposed to breathe fire, not pour water, you know; and mummies are supposed to STAY WRAPPED!). It's fun - and endearing - how Reeg takes our traditional notions of monsters a ...more
Claire Fayers
Oct 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Great fun for middle-graders, this book plays with a great number of monster cliches. The group of misfit monsters are charmingly endearing - which is, of course, against all the Monster Rules because monsters are supposed to be horrible. The story revolves around Frank's struggles to fit in, which are in constant conflict with his loyalty to his friends and his desire to be true to himself.

The book has a great cast of characters - I especially like Oliver the Mummy whose bandages keep falling o
Amy Allgeyer
Sep 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant, funny, full of heart!

I loved this book and can't wait for my son to read it! Cynthia Reeg's world is so engrossing, readers will get completely lost in the story! The characters are wonderful--lovable and relatable, dealing with problems that every kid in the world has. The plot is action packed and so exciting, I couldn't put it down.

I could read this book again and again. It's a total delight!

(I receive an eARC of this book in exchange for an honest review, and I'm so glad I did!!)
Lee Malone
Sep 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Misfit monsters and mandatory mayhem! Frank and his friends don't fit in, not at their school, not in their world, and not in their families. They're just not "monster" enough. Kids will love the little details and plays on words throughout the story, but also encounter some important ideas about being different, bullying, and being comfortable in your own skin.
Casey Lyall
Jul 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Frank just doesn't fit in - he's a Frankenstein who's blue instead of green and he's more interested in tidying than scaring people. This book is chock full of fun world-building and lessons about acceptance and what it means to truly be yourself. Looking forward to book two!
Autumn
Oct 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

I actually saw this book on Amazon and saw it was free and grabbed it up. It looked like it could be a entertaining read especially since Halloween is coming up.
So I should clarify what I mean by "real" monsters. By that I mean in this world of different monsters who all live in their town called Uggerworld "real" monsters are those that scare people and really take on the monster part of them.
So we are introduced to Frankie and his friends of misfits it
Kathleen Burkinshaw
Oct 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I loved my visit to Uggarland!
From the moment I read Monster Rule #9 "A monster's appearance should incite fear and significant revulsion to scare the socks off mere humans.", I knew I would enjoy this book!

But this is not just a humorous story. I loved the heart it had. Frankie is not quite sure how to answer a questions that we all have wondered as humans-Does he fit in? Monsters, like Malcolm have judged Frankie and his friends to be strange since they do not quite fit the "monster" descripti
Susan Angela Wallace
Nov 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
From the grave by Cynthia reeg.
This was a good read. I really liked the cover but it wasn't what I thought it would be. Still a good read. 4*. Red coat pr.
Peggy Archer
Jun 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Frankenstein Frightface Gordon is part of the Odd Monsters Out group at school. A pale baby-blue rather than ghastly green, he is out of character by being neat and tidy, and is certainly not ready to scare the pants off of anyone. He and the other Odd Monsters Out manage to keep a fairly low profile until the arrival of the new principal and the new law that is meant to rid Uggarland of all misfits. Frank has to decide if he will try to become the monster that everyone else wants him to be, or ...more
Kim Piddington
Nov 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Perfect read for the fall season. These monsters face "real" dileamas like fitting in and bullying that young readers can relate to. The author creates a believable world with delightfully monstrous vocabulary you'll enjoy readay Moanday-Frightday.
☘Tara Sheehan☘
Jan 22, 2017 rated it it was ok
I have decidedly mixed emotions about this book.

For the positives, the dialogue is realistic and refreshing which is saying something since it’s all about monsters. The scenes are descriptively detailed in this unique world as Reeg did a wonderful job creating a world which although very different from our own we can still feel like we are walking around in it. The plot line is well thought and easy to follow. I also thought it was interesting that two separate endings were included; one if this
Jennie
Aug 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Cynthia Reeg has crafted a wonderfully clever novel in From the Grave, targeting middle school readers – independent primary monster fans and witty enough to cross over into the secondary arena. Ideal for those who love anything monsterish and who appreciate absurd and clever innuendo and language mashups – this is sure to engage.

he young hero, Frankenstein Frightface Gordon, is totally the wrong shade of ghastly green—pale, baby blue, in fact—and he’s more concerned with keeping his pants neat
Beth Anderson
Aug 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Reeg had me at the first chapter. Immediately, the text became a movie in my head. The incredibly humorous and endearing characters came alive with all their misfit idiosyncrasies.
Pale blue neatnik Frank does his best to pretend to be “normal,” but he just can’t deny the good feeling that comes with slicked back hair, neatly trimmed nails, a buttoned down collar, and tucked in shirt tail. His misfit buddies include a mummy who trails his loose wrappings, a gargoyle with two heads that nag each o
Ash (It's a Word Vomit World)
This was a super fun read. I mean, who doesn’t love a book about monsters? Especially when the world building is there, and the writing style itself makes the read even more fun. The characters were great, the dialogue being probably the best part.

My daughter is six, and I’d say this was probably geared toward kids a bit older, but she really enjoys listening to chapter books like this. So if your child is enthralled by a fun, lengthy book it’s a good read.

While I received this book as an ARC fr
Janet Miller
Nov 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a middle grade story. I read it to see if my granddaughter would like it. I'm sure she will. It was very imaginative and entertaining. It was the first of a series. You can continue the story in book two. But what I really liked is that the author also gave you an alternate ending if you want to read it as a stand alone book. This was a first for me. I really like that idea. Highly recommended for middle grade and up.
Gwen
Nov 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Cute midgrade novel. Will be passing to my grandson as it is something he will enjoy. Book is about "misfit" monsters and their adventures in and out of school.

I received this book free from Goodreads First Reads.
Tara Christensen
Oct 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Read this book to my 8 year old son. He throughly enjoyed the misfit monsters who struggle with being who they truly are vs conforming. He did comment he would like some pictures periodically in the book.
Sage
Dec 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was won with an eye to giving it as a christmas gift. It's currently under the tree awaiting the avid attention of a friend's granddaughter.

I skimmed it before wrapping it up just to make sure she would enjoy it, and I am certain she will.
YAYOMG
Oct 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Review coming soon!
Renee Stokes
From the Grave started with a charming take about misfit school age monsters struggle to survive school and home lives. However the middle and ending spend less time on the main character and more time formatting the storyline for the sequel.
Jeri Baird
Feb 05, 2017

• Little Mouse's Big Book of Beasts
  • A Fatal Twist (Downward Dog Mystery, #4)
  • The Ice Monster
  • Finding Charity
  • As You Wish
  • Sated (Wantin #3)
  • The Adventures of Blue Ocean Bob: A Journey Begins
  • Starstruck Shifter (Celebrity Bears, #1)
  • Yummy Stories: six stories to stimulate your mind and appetite
  • Falling (Popstar Lover, #1)
  • Hot Rod Hamster: Monster Truck Mania!
  • An Extraordinary Haunting

Monster or Die (2 books)
  • Into the Shadowlands (Monster or Die, #2)