Start by marking “A Well-Mannered Young Wolf” as Want to Read:
A Well-Mannered Young Wolf

A Well-Mannered Young Wolf

One morning, a young wolf eagerly sets out on his first hunting trip. But before he can devour his prey, he must honor their final wishes, just as his parents taught him to do. But the wolf’s would-be meals aren’t quite as honorable as he is! Can common courtesy prove effective amidst the wild laws of nature?
Published October 3rd 2016 by Eerdmans Books for Young Readers (first published March 1st 2015)

To ask other readers questions about A Well-Mannered Young Wolf, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Well-Mannered Young Wolf

Nov 16, 2017 rated it it was ok
I didn't care for this. It lacked something... like an ending. It just left me with a weird feeling. The wolf is all about manners and being honest, then he eats the animals. The end.
Gayatri
Apr 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A wolf can be honorable and still have his cake and eat it too.
Melki
Feb 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kidstuff
This one is easily my favorite kids' book this year. (Yeah, yeah . . . I know it's only February!) The ending is blacker than night, and I loved it!

Hey, everybody's gotta eat, ya know?
Donalyn
Nov 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
A fun twist on classic wolf stories.
Molly
The French, they have different sensibilities than we do. And I like their children's books much more.
Dec 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book had such a fucked- up ending... I LOVED IT!
Mathew
I loved this book from the first reading. It has an utterly satisfying ending which made me laugh out loud and which, much to my delight, many other reviewers have detested. The story tells of a good little wolf whose parents taught him the importance of good manners. On he goes out hunting (a wolf has to eat, you know), he catches a chicken and a rabbit only to be tricked. What is the point, he thinks, of having manners if you're left with an empty stomach? The answer, of course, lies in his th ...more
Pamela Powell
Sep 27, 2016 rated it did not like it
I did not like this book. It's very rare for me to say that. The beginning held so much promise then the end is just awful.
Tara Harries
Nov 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book and I think children would too. The young fox has been brought up to have good manners and so when he captures his prey, he asks them for their final wish before he eats them. As he has good manners he has to respect the wish but in this story this makes him end up being tricked by various different animals and them escaping. He then comes across a boy who has similar manners and does not trick the fox and the story has an ends with the fox being happy as the boy leads him st ...more
Holly Payne
This book would create good discussion in a classroom about the idea of right and wrong. The children could discuss the problems encountered along the way and how each of the animals have reacted to the wolf. The children could discuss the wolf himself and how he may go against stereotypes, until the end.
Gemma Ford
Nov 13, 2017 rated it it was ok
Not a traditional 'happy ending'... Interesting morals!
Christie
Jul 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lter, childrens
This book did not go in the direction I had expected. As the title tells, this story is about a well-mannered young wolf in search of his next meal. He offers each of his prospective meals a last wish, just as his parents had instructed him to do. As he is attempting to fill each wish his meals escaped (can you blame them!?). Poor little wolf finds himself hangry in no time and when he stumbles upon those who tricked him he is not as well-mannered as he was when they first met.

This book was morb
Cindy Mitchell *Kiss the Book*
Nov 26, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: not-recommended
Leroy, Jean A Well-Mannered Young Wolf, Illustrated by Maudet, Matthieu. PICTURE BOOK. Eerdman, 2016. $16.99. Content: G
A wolf is sent alone into the forest to capture dinner. He meets a variety of animals, all of whom get a chance to have a last wish granted. Each animal asks for something that the wolf must go back to his house to get, and they promise to wait. Of course, not wanting to be eaten, they break the promise and are gone. When wolf meets a human who keeps his promise, things go much
JennE
Little Wolf has been taught well and to always grant last wishes. But, doing so may keep him hungry. When Rabbit asks for a story as a last wish, Little Wolf has to run home to get a book and is surprised to find that Rabbit has escaped. When he captures Chicken and has to honor Chicken's last wish, Little Wolf is foiled again. Determined to not lost his third meal of the day, a Boy, Little Wolf still does the right thing to honor Boy's last wish of a drawing. Boy is so excited about how well L ...more
Kid Lit Reviews
Feb 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
A Well-Mannered Young Wolf certainly delivers.

A young wolf’s parents teach him to be an honorable young pup. Out on his first solo hunt, the young wolf quickly captures a rabbit. Being the honorable young wolf he is, Wolf asks Rabbit, “What is your last wish before I eat you?”

Not having a story with him, and not being able to say no, the young wolf runs home for his favorite book. Rabbit, held captive by the young wolf’s net, assures the young hunter, “I won’t move a muscle, I promise!”

Kids will
Joel Hopkins
Nov 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Catherine Austen
Nov 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Hilarious. I loved this book. The character of the wolf is priceless. Perhaps I wouldn't have loved the ending so much if I'd been reading it aloud to a tiny tot, but hey, I wasn't, so it was great. In fact, it sparked a philosophical discussion about the applicability of rules and manners to life-and-death struggles. If I were reading this to a four-year-old, I'd likely make up something about how the rabbit and chicken outwitted the well-mannered wolf once again before he got them back to his ...more
Stefanie Burns
Aug 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
A young wolf catches his prey. He allows them each one wish (no, freedom does not count). After each wish he has to go home to fulfill it. When he returns, his prey has vanished. Understandably, he gets more and more aggravated. Finally, he meets a boy who keeps his word and in the final scene, meets the previous prey who ran from him. I won't say exactly what happened, but it's reminiscent of Klassen's This Is Not My Hat. Kids will surely have a reaction at the end. Simple story and text, but v ...more
Elizabeth S
Oct 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Hillarious, but in a slightly macabre manner. Goes to show how important it is to be polite and nice. Check out the spoiler section for more detail if you are worried.

(view spoiler)
Ina
Nov 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: storytime-reads
Filled with humor (and justice!) this is the charming story of a naive, well-mannered wolf on his first solo hunting trip. He catches a rabbit and a chicken, both of which take advantage of his good manners to escape. The ending is ambiguous enough that this story will not scare anyone, but it would appear that karma doesn't favor those that lie and manipulate others. The illustrations are bright and filled with humor and are the perfect accompaniment to the text.
Katy Vance
Jul 03, 2018 rated it liked it
Cute. :) It reads like a knockoff of I Want My Hat Back, but it’s not quite as good. That said, while I didn’t enjoy it as much as I Want My Hat Back, it makes my niece and nephew roll with laughter. I liked the twist at the end, the similar use of color to demonstrate emotions, and the homicidas humor. That said, it felt too much like I Want My Hat Back without the exciting shifty eyes. :)
Tricia Gleason
Jan 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Clever! I am trying to avoid going 'spoiler' here. This is a story about a well-mannered young wolf who is trying to catch himself a meal, but runs into some tricky shysters. He stays true to his own character and something works out for him in the end. I will leave it at that. Fun, original story. Not what I expected, but it kept my attention and gave me a few smiles.
Miss Sarah
Feb 06, 2017 rated it liked it
A young worf sets off to catch dinner but each prey asks for a last wish. While he is off completing the last wish each prey escapes. What will eh ever do? Cute take on manners. Ending was funny for me but I'm not sure how young children will like it. Preschool and up for humor and subject.
Julie
Mar 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
The limited color palette was a bit of a negative when it came to this book--but the story and the dialogue were clever and very. very funny--especially with the not-so-surprising but still funny twist at the end. Well worth the read for the ending alone.
Betsey Stahler
Jul 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
I guess what goes around comes around....
Heather Newman
Feb 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic imagery. The faces at the end...and SPOILER...the way the room turns red when the wolf walks in! It was awesome!
Susan
Cute, with an ambiguous ending. I'll be curious to see what the kindergarteners think about it.
Molly Pearson
Jan 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Children's Choice Picture Book Award. I loved the ending of this book. The kids were amaze and had fun with it.
Stacia Leigh
Sep 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
When I turned the last page I thought, "Wait...what? That's it?" But it got me thinking, and the more I did of that, the more I liked it.
Jen
Sep 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Well, I didn't see that coming!
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Barnacle Is Bored
  • Everyone Is Yawning
  • My Pillow Keeps Moving
  • The Little Red Cat Who Ran Away and Learned His ABC's (the Hard Way)
  • Hotel Bruce
  • My Friends Make Me Happy! (The Giggle Gang, #3)
  • Leave Me Alone!