Start by marking “An Unbidden Visitor” as Want to Read:
An Unbidden Visitor

An Unbidden Visitor

An Unbidden Visitor is a Short Read - reading time approximately half an hour. Inspired by the story of the famous Irish poltergeist, the Cooneen ghost.

A tale of family, friends, and fear...
And the unnatural force that threatens to ruin everything...

March 1913: Struggling to make ends meet, widow Bridget Murphy finds life in rural Ireland difficult, raising six
Published March 10th 2016

To ask other readers questions about An Unbidden Visitor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about An Unbidden Visitor

Start your review of An Unbidden Visitor
Michael Schmicker
Jun 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
14 March, 1913. County Fermanagh, Ireland.

Widow Murphy is scared.

An uninvited something haunts the farm where she, son James, and her five daughters eke out a living. It starts with scratching sounds in the hayloft above the cottage. A rat? It moves closer – knocks in the dead of night on the children’s bedpost. The spooky raps move to the ceiling, become a hammering. An unseen force presses itself against young Nora’s chest. She cries out, the girls flee downstairs to huddle near the fire.

In
C.E. Hart
Mar 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
AUDIOBOOK REVIEW
Surprisingly, this short story carries a lot of depth. The characters are well developed and the ghost story is full and engaging.

The setting is what initially drew me to this audiobook. (I’ve visited Ireland several times and it is one of the most breathtaking countries I’ve been to.) I’m glad the author avoided melodrama, simply allowing the story to tell itself. Even though the story’s premise is unpleasant, the infused Irish culture and the inflection of the narrator,
Carla
Mar 20, 2018 rated it really liked it

I have always loved the paranormal, as a teenager I would devour books about history and legends. This was one of the first things that attracted me to this audiobook, not to mention the beautiful setting! I couldn't wait to start listening to this short story that drew me in with its setting and plot.

I was initially shocked at the length of the audiobook (around thirty minutes) but it makes sense for a short story. Dianne packs a lot into that time and left me craving for more. Bridget is an
Teresa
Feb 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An Unbidden Visitor by Dianne Ascroft is taken from true story of the Cooneen Ghost involving the Murphy family in County Fermanagh Northern Ireland in 1913. There is lots of documentation on the Poltergeist activity.

The story goes that the poltergeist activity included scratching and banging sounds. Priests were called in and tried to free the home and family to no avail. Neighbors also witnessed the activity.

Bridgett Murphy a widow and mother being afraid for her family and also being
Elena Alvarez Dosil
Mar 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is the novelization of the story of the Coneen ghost, a famous Irish poltergeist, and how it affected Bridget and her children, showing how their neighbors turned their backs on them leaving them with few choices.

It was a very short and exquisite listen. The characters are well portrayed and the moments of tension kept me on the edge of my seat. I have just a small complaint, and that I would have preferred something much longer. Short stories usually leave me wanting for more, and this
Laura  Hernandez (TheVoluptuousBkDiva/YABkDivas)
This creepy read was quick and to the point and even though I knew it was short I could not believe what a punch this story packs. I, of course, listened to this while I was home alone one evening and let me tell you, the hair-raising goosebumps were real. The author does an awesome job with the storyline and the buildup and then the narrator comes and puts the bow on it. Don't let the length of this audiobook fool you as it certainly does the same scary job as a full read.
Abby Slater- Fairbrother
Jan 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved the relationship between the mother and son and found it very emotionally moving. the story is short but creepy/scary, it definitely packs a punch. the ending was abrupt and I left me wanting to know more, but that is a given as its a short story read!
I would most definitely read another book based on the family and the ending.
5* short read!
Ashley Hedden
Feb 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An Unbidden Visitor by Dianne Ascroft was a good quick read. This was a great quick Irish tale, that is set in March of 1913. Bridget is a widow who is just trying to make ends meet for her family. But many people turn their backs on her and her family due to a force that invades her home.
Fee (Ebook Addicts)
Feb 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
The Story:
Set in rural Ireland in the year 1913 the Widow Murphy and her family are dealing with what they thought was a rat but turns out to be some unwanted spirit instead. This is a short retelling of the famousIrish legend of the Coonian ghost, and for all it was short - the audio was just over 30mins - there is actually a lot packed into the story for which I was surprised. Ascroft really managed to get the point of this eerie tale across in this novella.

The Narrator:
I loved Elizabeth
Pam Lecky
Jun 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
If you like a shiver before bed time you will love this short story. I just wished it was longer I enjoyed it so much.
Louise
Jul 03, 2018
wolfgang
is currently reading it
Jul 11, 2018
I was born in Toronto, Canada and earned a B.A. in history at the University of Windsor. I've lived in Scotland and Northern Ireland since moving to Britain in 1990.

I've written historical and human interest articles for Canadian and Irish newspapers and magazines as well as contributing to an Irish local history book. 'Hitler and Mars Bars' is my first novel.

My official website is: