Start by marking “Whiskey Words & a Shovel II” as Want to Read:
Whiskey Words & a Shovel II

Whiskey Words & a Shovel II

Real and raw, the voice of R. H. Sin delivers gritty, impassioned truths on matters of loving, living, and leaving in his second book of poetry.  Sin's first book is a bestseller and continues to delight his one million followers.

R.H. Sin’s second volume continues the passion and vigor of his previous publication. His stanzas inspire strength through the pure emotional ene
Published June 7th 2016 by Andrews McMeel Publishing

Jen
Feb 12, 2017 rated it did not like it
This poetry collection, which I was SO excited for, was way over-hyped. I found it to have the following things, and more, that really irked me to the point of no return: preach-y to women (when the author is a man), likes to romanticize depression and the aftermath of abusive relationships, compares a woman's sex to a winter jacket, continously says he's a better man than any other man the women he's speaking to has been with, and is filled to the brim with over-used themes and contantly eye-ro ...more
jenice
Sep 19, 2016 rated it did not like it
-this was so fake deep™
-none of the poems felt new, fresh. it was a mix of everything i've read before, except worse
-and that's not a bad thing, but the writer should make it their own and make it seem original to the reader

good thing(s)
-i read it in less than an hour

1.5 stars (.5 because it kept me interested enough to finish the collection)
Joseph
Jun 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
Interlude for the survivor.

the pain means you're alive
the scars mean
you've always survived

Whiskey Words & a Shovel II by r.h. Sin is the author's second collection of poetry. Mr. Sin is a minimalist when it comes to a biography -- An old Facebook page, a closed Twitter account, and an Instagram account with plenty of pictures of his poems.

Sometimes great things happen by accident. I saw this book and immediately started it. A few years ago I read a similar sounding collection called The S
Mar 02, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, poetry
It's hard to believe the author of these poems is sincere in advocating for women's rights when he also has poems interspersed that mention his deep seated hostility and anger over break-ups (to the point of kicking over the chair upon which she stands while she hangs herself) as well as treating women as nothing more than sexual targets. Ummm, correct me if I'm wrong, but that's playing both sides of the fence and destroys all of your credibility.

It came across as disingenuous and quite preten
WhatIReallyRead

Isn't this cover absolutely beautiful?

Well, I thought so. So I ordered this book knowing absolutely nothing about it or about the author. And while waiting for it to arrive, I painted a little fan art with watercolors:

Now to the actual book. It's pretty small, and most poems are tiny, consisting of just a couple lines. It's very easy to read in one sitting in under an hour. The general themes are unrequited love, heartbreak, search and hope for a new romantic relationship.

diving into love
emerg
dina
Dec 24, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf
different, yet the same.
same pain
same lies
I hate the moments between
meeting someone and leaving
someone
there’s this brief feeling of trust
before the paranoia that seeps in
once you begin to realize that
they’re just like everyone else
you’ve met before
same bullshit

No offense, God please forgive me for saying this, but how is that a poem and how am I supposed to fall for it?

I have not reached halfway through this book when I'm making this review
Alex
Feb 12, 2017 rated it did not like it
Perhaps R.H Sin does boast a fearless and vulnerable voice, but this remains one of the most appalingly tasteless volumes I've ever read. What we have here is a bombardment of obsessive love letters and cringe-worthy rants , most no more than a sentence or two of free verse.

Page after page demands the reader to
"find a man who loves you with all the love you deserve."
A poem simply titled "Sent text" reads:
"Be consistent, or become non existent."

R.H. Sin is every "nice guy" who's ever asked for
Oct 23, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry, 2016-reads

Reading this collection of poems felt like home. I am so glad I randomly stumbled upon this one.

Very simple, incredibly beautiful and truly powerful read.
Ece
Mar 23, 2017 rated it did not like it
I hate it when men thinks only men's approval and attention can make the women feel worthy. Misogynist as fuck. Same old bullshit.
Aishath Thuhufa
Oct 26, 2016 rated it did not like it
Cannot believe I managed to finish that...what was that?? It tried so hard to be "deep" but was sooo repetitive and patronising. Didn't actually make any sense half the time, but all the while it was trying to tell women what they should learn/be taught to do this and that/how grateful they should be/basically how they should just do whatever the author wants them to do but always "love themselves". Struggled so hard to get through it, hoping I'd find poetry somewhere, but there was literally NO ...more
Glitterbomb
Feb 12, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 1-star, poetry, reviews
This is misogynistic, egotistical bullshit, that made me angry to be perfectly honest.

I'm done with this author.

This isn't poetry, its recycled, repetitive, and uninspired drivel.
Emerald Sue
Jan 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry-verse
“you kill your future by mourning the past”
Vera Minot
Nov 14, 2016 rated it did not like it
I seriously do not understand the hype. Maybe this just isn't the type of poetry for me, but it felt like the ramblings of 15 year old me. Only if I went back and read my insufferable journals from over a decade ago I know they'd move me more than these works did (and I am a poetry reader not a poetry writer so that should say something).

It was the same few topics ("teach women to love themselves" check, got it) and the same blasé vocabulary the whole time (shatter, broken, beautiful). There ar
Hirdesh
May 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Review to come.
Pam (The Girl Who Cried Books)
I came upon this book while I was browsing for new poetry books at Netgalley. I love poetry so much and I'm the type to immerse myself in poems of all sorts.

Sin's poetry is simple yet deep and also straight to the point. It hits the bullseye of feels. No matter what situation you are in, you are sure to find one that is applicable to you in Whiskey Words & a Shovel. I've read a poem about going through and past distance just to get to the one you love.

long distance.
I'd kill the distance
to
Julia Sapphire
Oct 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
3.75 out of 5 stars

"sometimes you have to drown
to learn how to swim"

This collection of poetry was BEAUTIFUL! It was almost everything I could have asked for in poetry. It was mesmerizing and relatable .

I had not previously read the first installment but reading this one alone, I had no complications. My only issue was with the narration. This voice coming across was very soft and loving and than on the next page mean and stern. I understand mood swings and how Sin was expressing the em
Francesca
I didn't particularly love this poetry collection: it felt too focused of breakups, and it was full negativity. The themes were a bit repetitive: it almost seemed like I was reading the same poem over and over. I found few pages that I liked, but I would honestly recommend other poetry collections instead, like Mouthful of Forevers or milk and honey.
Bear Mcbearington
Mar 24, 2017 rated it did not like it
I bought this on the high recommendations on this site. But god damn this reads like an edgy sixteen year old who just went through a break up. I'm half convinced the author is actually some kind of twitter bot that just shits out random combinations of crap you'd find in a diary of a teenager. And anyone who enjoys it is either a teen or too stupid to realise how utter shit (and often patronizing) all this is.

I'd give it a 0 if I could.
The thought that someone actually got book deals and pai
Pouria Roshani
Jan 16, 2019 rated it liked it
My Score from 5: 3
It’s pretty much like the first book in both content and potency of poets. Most of them were repetitive especially for a person who has read the first book. However, like the first book, it consisted of some valuable poems about self-love and knowing your value and various relationship related stuff which people like and need to read sometimes. The rest of the poems are mostly superficial and insignificant.
Lindsey
Mar 02, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: poetry, read-in-2017
So repetitive, so patronizing, so shallow in its attempts to be #deep, do not understand the hype. Hitting the enter key a million times does not a poem make. The few poems that I actually enjoyed seemed like they were accidentally interesting and not any reflection of the poet's talent. Skip these, I definitely will not be reading any more of them.
Hemlyn
Oct 31, 2016 rated it did not like it
So much melodramatic, pseudo-deep doggerel in one tiny book. The poet is capable of so much more, I feel.
Karen
Jan 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This book. This g*****n book. SO BEAUTIFUL AND PERFECT, I CANNOT.

This is one of those poetry books that will hit you straight in the heart, talking about self-love and acceptance and moving forward and finding your own peace and place in thr world. I salute the poet for being effective in all of his words and making me feel like I deserve books like this and that the reading experience will be impactful and life-changing.

I highly recommend you guys read this one.

"Respect her mind
Feed her soul
Pr
JAsmine
Oct 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016, poetry, 4-stars
A brilliant piece of poetry.

This book speaks about feminism, self-love and boy-girl relationship. They are all really short and straight to the point , which I loved . It definitely give a tumblr-feel and not a standard-like poetry but I do not mind at all. I am overwhelmed with feels throughout the book.

I'M FILLED WITH POSITIVE VIBES THROUGH THIS BOOK

Overall: 4.25 stars
Paras2
Jul 13, 2017 rated it it was ok
I came to this book with high expectations since I've been reading parts of it on every page in instagram... but well, I'm disappointed. once again social media proved to be crap and the voice of the mass.
I don't deny I bookmarked some poems but generally I was rolling my eyes at the cheesy encouragements and promises of tomorrow. 😌
Rayene ZiaÐi
Feb 03, 2018 rated it did not like it
This was a tremendous disappointment.
it felt like a string of badly woven clichés and you could just taste the author's desperation and eagerness to be relatable.
“you kill your future by mourning the past”

It was anything but unique, the majority of poems felt like fillers to get to a certain word count.
Hizatul Akmah
Sep 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
loving the wrong person is self-harm

THIS IS ABUNDANCE OF PERFECTION!!!

i'm not kidding i had to fight back tears while reading most of the poems omg and now i need the physical copy!!!
Agnieszka
Mar 15, 2017 rated it liked it
in between the droning poems of past loves, there was something beautiful in the encouragement and enforcement, that woman are human beings that deserve more than society so far gives.
shanghao
Oct 13, 2016 rated it it was ok
Browsed through this at the bookstore again to give the poet the benefit of the doubt, a second viewing if you will.

Alas, I'm just not a fan of the style of poetry here. And the typology used didn't add further character to the structurally arranged sentences. The words were arranged with intent, but they do not come off as art, at least to me.

The only obvious improvement here is that the price of this volume is 'only' 32SGD as opposed to the 56SGD of the first volume (which comes with a 20% d
Lydia
Feb 06, 2017 rated it it was ok
*Sigh* Unoriginal and very cliche. The only poem I liked in this collection was " your past lingered/ like a rope around your neck/ and so I kicked over the chair/ beneath your feet" because it was the only one that wasn't an overdone platitude about a) loving yourself b) loving someone else or c) trying to get over a breakup.
Luckily it was a fast read. I would recommend this to people who just broke up with someone and need lots of reassurance. If you haven't, this is not the book for you.
farida
May 07, 2017 rated it liked it
Guarantees.

being a good man or woman
doesn't guarantee you true love
loving someone
doesn't make them the one

Whiskey Words and a Shovel II. This book talked about heartbreak and rejection and love in all its ugly forms. I couldn't find myself relating to this book very often, and I found that the content was very repetitive. All in all, I enjoyed reading it. I had some favorites, so if you're planning to read it, make sure you check out Most Nights and Fantasies.
Mentor Texts 1 1 Apr 16, 2019 09:04AM