Start by marking “Summer at the Cornish Cafe (The Penwith Trilogy #1)” as Want to Read:
Summer at the Cornish Cafe (The Penwith Trilogy #1)

Summer at the Cornish Cafe

(The Penwith Trilogy #1)

One summer can change everything . . .

Demi doesn’t expect her summer in Cornwall to hold anything out of the ordinary. As a waitress, working all hours to make ends meet, washing dishes and serving ice creams seems to be as exciting as the holiday season is about to get.

That’s until she meets Cal Penwith. An outsider, like herself, Cal is persuaded
Published May 5th 2016 by Maze

To ask other readers questions about Summer at the Cornish Cafe, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Summer at the Cornish Cafe

Dale Harcombe
Oct 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Demi is working as a waitress during her summer in Cornwall. It is a job and accommodation and better than what she had before when for a time she was living on the streets. But then things change rapidly. Demi is a feisty character, not afraid to say what she thinks. Her words and her actions get her into trouble at times. But her creative ideas are a boon to Cal Penwith who has returned home after time away and some trauma and is hoping to renovate Kilhallon Park and return it to being a viabl ...more
Kim
May 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: net-galley, kindle, 2016
I was completely lost in this story which combined all of my favourite things for a book. It is set in Cornwall which is a sure winner for me - and the descriptions made me want to be sat on a beach taking in the Cornish views and listening to the waves crashing on the shores. I loved the scene setting at the start- which in my head actually conjured up a mixture between Clovelly in Devon which has a really steep cobbled street down to the sea and St Agnes.
'The houses and shops of St Trenyan tu
Gina Wynn
The premise of this story is lovely, but I didn’t connect as I’d hoped with the characters or the writing style. There are the promised echoes of Poldark, which I would have liked to see play out more strongly, and there are things mentioned in character pasts that aren’t mentioned again – possibly this is because it is book one in a trilogy, though. My favourite part of the storyline was the restoration of the holiday park.

While the story holds a lot of promise, I had issues with th
Pamela Boyle
Oct 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely loved this book cannot wait to find out what happens ☺
Rachel Gilbey
Apr 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
4.5 Stars

I'm gutted, I have to wait absolutely ages for the next book in this series and that I have come to an end of Summer at the Cornish Cafe. It is a delight to read, and is clearly the start of what promises to be a really special series.

And yet surprisingly from the title of the book you may be expecting a fully functioning cafe to be at the heart of the story, well it is in a way, but a large part of the book it was purely an growing idea in Demi's head, which then took on a
Sky
May 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Summer at the Cornish Cafe is the first installment in the new series The Penwith Trilogy by Phillipa Ashely. I have read other books by Philllipa and couldn't wait to sink by teeth into this one!

Summer at the Cornish Cafe is the perfect Chic-Lit read. This book has everything you could ask for and more. A young strong independent women, a hot as hell Male, a nasty upper class snob, a lovable dog, picturesque scenery and a happily ever after that will make your heart sing!

Ali Bookworm
Aug 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I knew from the lovely summery cover that this would be a nice read. It flowed very easy from the start with plenty of likeable characters. I love Cornwall and also caravan parks so it was a perfect combination for me and I look forward to reading the sequels.
Suze Lavender
Jun 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Demi is working as a waitress in a café in Cornwall. She thinks she's finally found a nice place to stay, but when something at work goes terribly wrong she's homeless again. Fortunately after sleeping rough for a few nights she receives a job offer. She will help Cal to revive his family's holiday resort, Kilhallon Park. Demi can move into one of the staff cottages and in return she will do whatever needs to be done to rebuild the business. Demi and her dog Mitch are happy, but even though she ...more
Ian
Summer at the Cornish Café is fairly typical women's fiction. It's good, it's entertaining and I loved the characters –– it's just not particularly surprising.

All in all a great way to kill some time. The one negative is the narration. They narrator doesn't offer any differentiation between the two main characters and it gets a bit confusing from time to time.
Liz Fenwick
A deliciously entertaining twist on the Poldark tale...
Leah
Dec 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-read-2016
I actually finished this book when I was in Cornwall this summer. It was a perfect book to read while I was there and a perfect book for anyone who wants to remember or imagine Cornwall. Phillipa has a appreciation for Cornwall, and it shows in this book. She captures not only the scenery of Cornwall but also its ambiance. The characters in this book are interesting and likable (well, the evil ones aren't! ). Anyone familiar with Poldark will appreciate the references, but this book is more than ...more
Emma Crowley
May 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Summer at the Cornish Café is the first in the planned Penwith trilogy and is also the first book I have read from Phillipa Ashley. It was an absolute delight from start to finish and really should be on everyone's Summer reading lists, I literally gobbled it up. There seems to be an abundance of books being released at the moment with Summer in the title featuring either a café or pub etc but I'm not complaining, in fact keep them coming I say the more the merrier as these kinds of books are so ...more
Agi
May 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016-releases, 2016

When requesting "Summer at the Cornish Cafe" I was expecting a novel full of sunshine, romance, changes and feel - good factor - the synopsis sounded so inviting, and the cover is gorgeous, right? I haven't read any other books by Philippa Ashley, under this or other name (yes, I know. And I am ashamed!), which only added some excitement, so full of expectations I dived into this story. A story, that is the first part in the planned Penwith Trilogy.

However the title may suggest, cafe
Jane Hunt
Jul 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Summer at the Cornish Cafe by Phillipa

Jane Hunt Writer First Steps
Jane Hunt Writer Book Reviews Facebook
Jane Hunt Writer Book Reviews Google+
Connect on...:
Twitter

This story is a slow burner, but after a few chapters, Demi gets under your skin, especially with her ever faithful companion, Mitch. Angry,Google+
Connect
Marcee Feddersen

Quick, cute little read. Demi is kind of a sad sack - homeless, soon jobless and no family that cares about her. Add in a large dog and you find her sleeping in the streets.

She lands a job with Cal Penwith, who is recently returned from what sounds like war, although is described as a humanitarian trip (we never really do find out what happened to him there, although it's frequently referred to as part of his brooding and drinking).

Cal is ready to make his
Rebecca Emin
May 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This has all the ingredients of a bestseller; great characters, a beautiful setting and gorgeous writing. Cal is a tall, dark, sexy, brooding character who has had some bad experiences in the past which make him what he is today. When we meet him he is busy pining for his lost love Isla, who does seem like a lovely person. All this and his property, Kilhallon Park, is a run-down wreck of a place.

Demi is one of life’s tough characters, having survived and coped for many years with only her faith
Ann Cooper
Apr 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
If you love Cornwall and romances set there, then you have come to the right place. This book has it all. Great characters, a hot man, a red-headed, independent woman, nasty neighbours (Mawgan is HORRIBLE!), thwarted love. a fabulous dog - and glorious Cornish scenery!

It is funny, sad, and absorbed me from the first paragraph. Following Cal and Demi as their relationship changed was great fun - they make a perfect couple - each only too aware of the other's faults - and not afraid t
Julia
Jun 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is the first book that I have read by this author, but it certainly wont be the last!

The one page prologue caught my attention, made me laugh and got my hooked on the story! I've been struggling a bit with my concentration, which makes reading difficult, but I fell in to this book so much that I finished it in 2 sittings! It would have been one, but I thought that at 1:30am I really should call it a night.

This book is narrated by 2 characters, they may both narrate in some chap
Elana Bourgeois
Jul 23, 2018 rated it it was ok
It started out okay but then the a sub story line crept up that I didn’t expect nor like. The main storyline was interesting enough, a girl who had a rough start just trying to survive... but the sub storyline kind of ruined it for me, it’s just not my kind of book. I can’t recommend with a good conscience.
Nicola Clough
Oct 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Totally got engrossed in this book based in Cornwall and can people who have had hard pasts and can they find love. Can people get a holiday village up and running or can they not get planning permission but they have Greta plans to open a cafe can they make a go of it or not and can everyone find new love. Looking forward t the second book.
Lizziebet
Jun 02, 2016 rated it liked it
Nice easy read, but I didn't enjoy the story as much as I wanted to. I didn't really connect with the characters and there was the hint that something major had happened to Cal when he was working abroad but, unless I missed it, we never did find out.

Lovely descriptions of the Cornish landscape - could have done with a bit more romance for me though.
Lorelei Mathias
Jun 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
ESCAPE TO THE CORNISH COAST WITHOUT SITTING ON THE M5 FOR 8 HOURS!

This was a lovely, sparkly summery read. Perfect for beach-lovers and romance-lovers alike.

One of the loveliest and most unexpected details actually, was the little doggy romance-within-the romance. One to look out for!

This will make you want to run away to the Cornish coast at the drop of a beach hat.
Eve beinguniquebooks
Jul 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Demi works in a café with her friend and landlady Sheila only for a scene to happen and her to be made homeless along with her beloved dog, Mitch, thanks to Mawgan Cade a local business woman who's formidable.

After Cal returns from the middle East with secrets and tales of hardship out there, he discovers his love Isla has moved on and become engaged to all people, his now ex best friend.

So when Cal decides to take on his inheritance, Kilhallon par
Bev Taylor
Mar 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
can one summer change everything?

demi has only her dog for company and sleeps rough unless she has a job with accommodation. she has found a job as a waitress in cafe and she is very happy until a very ride - and influential customer - forces her to leave

then she meets cal who is persuaded to employ her as his assistant at a very run down holiday park, hoping to restore it to it's former glory

they both have high hopes and ideas but lack of finance and then losing their planning application lo
Steffi
"Summer at the Cornish Café" is the first book in the Penwith Trilogy and I was looking forward to read this book.

The book is nice and an enjoyable read but I was missing some things in the story. First, I couldn't really connect with the characters. Generally Demi and Cal were likable characters but I found them rather shallow and I was missing some warm-hearted character traits. The love story was also lacking in romance.

The story itself was enjoyable but I found it ver
Cathy Graham
Aug 07, 2019 rated it liked it
I saw this book at Chapters on sale for $6.00 so didn't expect too much at that price as often I've been disappointed with discounted books.

This was a great chick lit summer read with endearing characters who made me care about them. I felt so much for Demi and Cal and wanted it all to work out between them as they worked together restoring his parents' old rundown resort.

Both characters were a bit broken but also they were both tough and determined to overcome obstacles in their wa
Carla
May 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
I really enjoyed this modern retelling of Poldark. It's charming with wonderful characters and clever plotting that keeps to the most cogent elements of the story with some modern twists. I am disappointed that my library system (including the statewide one) doesn't seem to have the final two books in the trilogy but I will get my hands on them somehow.
Katie
Aug 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely loved every second of this book. Such a lovely story. I absolutely fell in love with Demi and Cal. Highly recommend 😊
Katie
Feb 06, 2019 rated it liked it
Pretty boring and obvious. But it’s a Cornish holiday read and doesn’t pretend to be anything more than that so I don’t suppose I can complain too much!
Piper
Jan 18, 2019 rated it did not like it
No, no and hell no!! I nearly DNFed this after chapter 3 and now wished I had. If I’d known this was a modern day Poldark wannabe remake - I would have steered clear of it. What made matters worse were the references that Cal (Ross Poldark) reminded Demi (Demelza) of a vampire (Being Human?) and another character thinking he looked like Aidan Turner. Seriously? There were so many other things wrong with this story as well. The narrator - who I enjoyed listening to in another series - was not rig ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Sunshine and Secrets
  • Wing Girl
  • Is This Love?
  • Confessions of a Chalet Girl (Ski Season, #1)
  • Springtime at the Cider Kitchen (Little Somerby #2)
  • Meet Me at Wisteria Cottage
  • Do You Remember?
  • Sinfully Summer
  • A Christmas Wish
  • Anything but Vanilla...
  • Spring at Blueberry Bay (Hope Island #1)
  • Finding Mr. Rochester
  • Mince Pies and Mistletoe at the Christmas Market
Phillipa Ashley is an award-winning author of 17 novels under three pen-names.

Her best selling new Cornish Cafe series is available in e book and paperback now.

The first in a brand new series - Christmas on the Little Cornish Isles: the Driftwood Inn was published on September 18th.

She also writes the Oxford Blue series as Pippa Croft.

The Penwith Trilogy (3 books)
  • Christmas at the Cornish Café(The Cornish Café Series, Book 2)
  • Confetti at the Cornish Cafe (The Cornish Cafe series - #3)